Reservation cancelled!

Yes, it's a year out, but I also understand being upset. I don't understand why they cannot simply make it clear that the date sales will be released to the general public is X and any full-ship charters MUST be contracted by a date before X. Would there be complaints? Probably, because they've allowed this ridiculous practice of allowing full-ship charters after bookings have begin by this clause that part of the finances of the charter will include compensation for the displaced cruisers. But they could remove that clause and redo the entire thing by saying charters must be contracted before general sales begin.

Honestly the more of these reports I read, the less likely I'm going to be to rebook on RCCL - especially because I AM limited in when I can travel, so a smattering of random offerings isn't going to cut it for me if a cruise I book gets chartered after the fact.

A year out , $100 for the canceled sailing is generous .

Especially, it is too early to have had flights booked .

Plenty of other choices this far out.

When my cruise was chartered I was upset that I had lost cabin 9256 on Jewel. The $200 OBC didn't make it better.

On January 22, our travel agent advised us that our confirmed reservation on the Jan. 22, 2017 cruise on Allure of The Seas has been cancelled.

It seems that the entire ship has been chartered. I would like to know "by whom"?

Further. our compensation is going to be $100 per passenger. BIG DEAL!!

That boils down to pennies out of R.C.'s pocket. That is an insult to loyal customers (Diamond member).

What do you'all suggest? I am mad as can be! Besides my travel agent goes through all kids of problems with no more in his pocket for the trouble, as far as I know. Another unfair practice.

This happened to us for a January 2016 cruise on Independence. We had planned to go on a 5 day cruise on Independence and the day of return we would board Serenade for an 11 day cruise. Well, this was last February and I noticed a month later our cruise was no longer listed. I thought that was strange, so I called RCCL. Person told me that it was a chartered cruise and we would be hearing from RC shortly. Turns out it was a huge Music cruise and the prices were sky high to book. RCCL did not take the booking for it. They offered us the same deal as you, $100 obc for another cruise. We took it but were not happy - :mad:

That's the Oasis - the OP was talking about Allure.

And even if it was that group their website says the 2016 event "Several hundred Motorcycle Enthusiasts took a group cruise to Mexico and the Bahamas." Certainly not enough to cause cancellations but with that group the line up for the free ice cream would be loooooong.

Right Biker19?

And even if it was that group their website says the 2016 event "Several hundred Motorcycle Enthusiasts took a group cruise to Mexico and the Bahamas." Certainly not enough to cause cancellations but with that group the line up for the free ice cream would be loooooong.

Right Biker19?

If there's some generalization that bikers eat ice cream I don't know about it - I'm not "that" kind of biker - see my pic.

Has happened to us, had the RS booked on Oasis, RC emailed us with alternative sailings before and after original dates on various ships.

Timing for us the issue, was the only week we could do for that particular cruise, so could of been a deal breaker.

Found out from other sources than RC, that Oasis was fully chartered.

We were over a year 1/2 out, as like OP disappointed at the time, no flight booked.

In all ended up on Allure in an OS for same week, just departing on a Sunday instead of a Saturday.

$400 OBC, saving of $9k on cabin.

Long story śhort, the RS was converted into multiple cabins anyways!

Saved money, got same week, same class of ship.

Clocks fwd a year 1/2, very happy to now be on Allure instead of Oasis.

OP, hope all works out for you and you are able to get a comparable cruise, that works within your circumstances.

Happy Days!

Maybe by these guys?

https://universityatsea.com/coursedetails.php?program_number=2410

I'm scheduled for the week prior. Does anyone have experience with being onboard with a charter imminent? Does the crew behave any differently with the charter approaching?

This group simply offers conferences during a "normally" scheduled cruises. They don't rent out the whole ship. I am betting that they're hearing their conference/cruise is cancelled right now, too.

Chick-Fil-A has chartered either Oasis or Allure (can't remember which one) in the recent past. Maybe it's them again?

If there's some generalization that bikers eat ice cream I don't know about it - I'm not "that" kind of biker - see my pic.

Nah, it's just that Gold Wing riders are infamous for ice cream stops as opposed to the "other" brand that are infamous for bar stops.

Izzat a K12GT in your pic?

Edited by squiffynimrod

OP: You've got a year to plan. I'm almost positive Royal offered/will offer you price protected sailings. Just switch your cruise. Sorry it happened to you, but it's nothing new. It's a chance you take.

Im unsure why anyone with that cash would want to charter a tired looking ship like the allure at that expense.

It really does need a lick of paint.

Wow. That's a new one. :eek::rolleyes: I think Majesty might be your next best option? Maybe Empress? I'd think they're comparable to the Allure...

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

Wow. That's a new one. :eek::rolleyes: I think Majesty might be your next best option? Maybe Empress? I'd think they're comparable to the Allure...

Well, the Allure is just over five years old now. I think it's time RCI puts her out of her misery and sends her to the scrap yard! :rolleyes:

If PP thinks the Allure is looking tired I'm thinking inaugural season cruising is the only way for them to go.

Yes, it's a year out, but I also understand being upset. I don't understand why they cannot simply make it clear that the date sales will be released to the general public is X and any full-ship charters MUST be contracted by a date before X. Would there be complaints? Probably, because they've allowed this ridiculous practice of allowing full-ship charters after bookings have begin by this clause that part of the finances of the charter will include compensation for the displaced cruisers. But they could remove that clause and redo the entire thing by saying charters must be contracted before general sales begin.

Honestly the more of these reports I read, the less likely I'm going to be to rebook on RCCL - especially because I AM limited in when I can travel, so a smattering of random offerings isn't going to cut it for me if a cruise I book gets chartered after the fact.

You can stop booking RCI if you like, but pretty much all the cruise lines do the same thing.

I had a Holland cruise chartered out from under me about two years ago. I found out about the charter before Holland announced it. In fact, for three or four weeks after the charter was announced by the charter group, Holland was still advertising and selling rooms on the same cruise. And, yes, it was a 100% charter, not a group sailing.

You can stop booking RCI if you like, but pretty much all the cruise lines do the same thing.

I had a Holland cruise chartered out from under me about two years ago. I found out about the charter before Holland announced it. In fact, for three or four weeks after the charter was announced by the charter group, Holland was still advertising and selling rooms on the same cruise. And, yes, it was a 100% charter, not a group sailing.

Agreed. It doesn't happen on Royal more than any other line.

As someone else has already stated, there should be a date set where cruises can be chartered before that date, and then after that date expires, the general public can begin booking.

I have an Oasis booking now in April. Is it possible that could be charted now? I imagine it wouldn't at this point, but if it did, I would be out thousands of dollars (airfare/rental vehicle/condo for the week before/all other expenses I have paid).

I also have a Harmony Cruise booked for April 22nd, 2017. I picked this date for myself, my girlfriend, and 3 other couples. This is literally the only week that works for all of us due to different job/life schedules. To top this off, I got everyone's balcony for 1050CAD pp which is a steal. A $100 OBC wouldn't come close to making up for my losses on this one. I would be devastated to find out that this cruise got chartered.

Having a "pre-release" for companies to charter the cruises would make much more sense.

On January 22, our travel agent advised us that our confirmed reservation on the Jan. 22, 2017 cruise on Allure of The Seas has been cancelled.

It seems that the entire ship has been chartered. I would like to know "by whom"?

Further. our compensation is going to be $100 per passenger. BIG DEAL!!

That boils down to pennies out of R.C.'s pocket. That is an insult to loyal customers (Diamond member).

What do you'all suggest? I am mad as can be! Besides my travel agent goes through all kids of problems with no more in his pocket for the trouble, as far as I know. Another unfair practice.

Why is it an insult to C&A members? Should you receive something different the general population? It's an inconvenience sure but cat catastrophic probably not. It's a year away. OBC is generous as you are not out anything. Price protection on another ship seem to be enough compensation.

As someone else has already stated, there should be a date set where cruises can be chartered before that date, and then after that date expires, the general public can begin booking.

I have an Oasis booking now in April. Is it possible that could be charted now? I imagine it wouldn't at this point, but if it did, I would be out thousands of dollars (airfare/rental vehicle/condo for the week before/all other expenses I have paid).

I also have a Harmony Cruise booked for April 22nd, 2017. I picked this date for myself, my girlfriend, and 3 other couples. This is literally the only week that works for all of us due to different job/life schedules. To top this off, I got everyone's balcony for 1050CAD pp which is a steal. A $100 OBC wouldn't come close to making up for my losses on this one. I would be devastated to find out that this cruise got chartered.

Having a "pre-release" for companies to charter the cruises would make much more sense.

The fact that cruise lines can charter a ship at will is just one more reason to buy cruise insurance. Immediately upon booking a cruise, I buy insurance.

BTW, if you buy independent insurance from an agency other than the cruise line, the initial costs are very low. You only have to insure the deposit. As you incur more possible cancellation liabilities (you book non - refundable airfare) you call the agency and add those costs to your insurance.