Rumor about new policy that cash tips are shared by entire crew

chamima

About a month go someone posted that some disgruntled staff had told them that Celebrity had instituted a new policy that ALL cash tips were now put into a pool and shared by the whole crew on the ship.

The previous policy (I thought) was that as long as we left the "suggested" gratuities on our account any cash tips could be kept by the person we gave it to.

I understand the waiters in Blu sharing with the other Blu staff but this new policy, if it in fact exists, really makes me rethink giving extra cash at the end of our cruise.

So, after my long winded explanation, has anyone heard any more about this supposed new policy?

About a month go someone posted that some disgruntled staff had told them that Celebrity had instituted a new policy that ALL cash tips were now put into a pool and shared by the whole crew on the ship.

The previous policy (I thought) was that as long as we left the "suggested" gratuities on our account any cash tips could be kept by the person we gave it to.

I understand the waiters in Blu sharing with the other Blu staff but this new policy, if it in fact exists, really makes me rethink giving extra cash at the end of our cruise.

So, after my long winded explanation, has anyone heard any more about this supposed new policy?

I haven't heard of this policy, and I hope it is not true. We should be able to reward those that serve us the best.

Staff in restaurants I would think have a certain amount of pooling simply because the staff in the back of the restaurant should share in the tips as they prepare the food. Probably also sensible in Blu and Select dining as diners have different staff each night. My guess is a separate tip handed directly to someone still stays there.

Our waiter in Blu told us the same thing. He and the assistant were fantastic and we had them all but two times we ate there on a 17 day cruise. The two times we didn't the service was not fantastic, once not good. I wanted the $$ to go to those who provided the good service. This was in addition to the billed gratuities. I understand the sharing with understaff as is done in restaurants but this does put a new slant on extra tipping.

When we tipped our MDR staff and our stewards on our most recent cruise, this was not mentioned.

I wonder if it just applies to Blu and the other similar restaurants???

Our waiter in Blu told us the same thing. He and the assistant were fantastic and we had them all but two times we ate there on a 17 day cruise. The two times we didn't the service was not fantastic, once not good. I wanted the $$ to go to those who provided the good service. This was in addition to the billed gratuities. I understand the sharing with understaff as is done in restaurants but this does put a new slant on extra tipping.

When we tipped our MDR staff and our stewards on our most recent cruise, this was not mentioned.

I wonder if it just applies to Blu and the other similar restaurants???

Did your waiter tell you it would be shared with other Blu staff or with the entire ship's crew?

Most of the times we were in Blu, tips were pooled between all of the staff. Luminae on the Eclipse were sharing as well. Maitre d kept a list of who gave what so that the waiters knew who gave and how much .

I knew this was the policy previously and was ok with that (not thrilled, bur ok).

My question is "Has a NEW policy been instituted recently requiring the sharing of tips amongst the entire crew on board - NOT JUST WITHIN YOUR OWN DINING ROOM."

Edited by chamima

It was my understanding if someone took off the automatic tipping then gave individual envelopes to waitstaff and stateroom attendants at the end of the cruise, those were the tips to be turned in to the "pool." If one left the automatic tips on and at the end of the cruise, gave individuals extra, that was theirs to keep.

I'm hoping that's still the case, because I always give the asst stateroom attendant extra at the end of the cruise. I think he works harder than the stateroom attendant as he has the job of scrubbing the toilets and cleaning the bathroom.

Most of the times we were in Blu, tips were pooled between all of the staff. Luminae on the Eclipse were sharing as well. Maitre d kept a list of who gave what so that the waiters knew who gave and how much .

I'm a little confused, if I exchange an extra gratuity in a "handshake" with a waiter etc., how does the maitre'd know? Does the waiter inform him (seems like too much of an honor system)?

Edited by Big Chief

Tipped folks will tell you anything in order to get more tips. No worries...those who serve you get the tips they are supposed to get!

I would suggest that the "suggested" tips are adequate and I don't understand everyone's concerns about the employee's pay. How many of you worry how much your Wal-mart checker is making...or how tips are split at your favorite restaurant... (and they are split!)...

Pay the suggested amount...tip more if you feel someone has gone "above and beyond"...and be done with it!

It was my understanding if someone took off the automatic tipping then gave individual envelopes to waitstaff and stateroom attendants at the end of the cruise, those were the tips to be turned in to the "pool." If one left the automatic tips on and at the end of the cruise, gave individuals extra, that was theirs to keep.

I'm hoping that's still the case, because I always give the asst stateroom attendant extra at the end of the cruise. I think he works harder than the stateroom attendant as he has the job of scrubbing the toilets and cleaning the bathroom.

This was my understanding as well. I also agree about the assistant stateroom attendant.

Having just learned of this rumor the question that comes to my mind is, how much money does each member of the entire crew stand to gain by this policy? I would think it would be a very small amount per person.

I hope someone can confirm that this policy is really in force, or not.

Edited by C-Dragons

Like Karen, I've always heard that, if you leave the auto-tip in place, the individual staff members get to keep any extra tip that you give them. But, even under that system, the onboard tipping hierarchy has always been very complex -- lots of "kicking up and kicking down" goes on, behind the scenes.

Tipped folks will tell you anything in order to get more tips. No worries...those who serve you get the tips they are supposed to get!

I would suggest that the "suggested" tips are adequate and I don't understand everyone's concerns about the employee's pay. How many of you worry how much your Wal-mart checker is making...or how tips are split at your favorite restaurant... (and they are split!)...

Pay the suggested amount...tip more if you feel someone has gone "above and beyond"...and be done with it!

I completely agree with you. How tips are divided is the business of the employees. Employees in restaurants all over the US split tips. Waiters back tip busers and bartenders everyday. This is how the system works. I've never had a waiter in a land restaurant discuss who my tips get divided with at the end of the day, nor do I care. I actually think its unprofessional for the employee to discuss this with a patron. Tip what you feel is appropriate and be done with it. If the employee doesn't think it's fair or acceptable, he/she has the option to find another job. In the case of cruise employees, they have the choice to renew or not renew their contract once completed.

Indeed!! Someone had to say it...and I thank you for putting it so bluntly!

I have had several staff members telling me their sad story in hopes to get extra tips. I have also seen it the other way around but one of the best examples was a B2B we were sailing on... unbeknownst to our waiter. Every night he would go on and on about it being his last cruise and he barely had enough money for his airfare to get back to see his family ... his wife and 3 kids. Our table mates on the first leg of our B2B were very generous to ensure he could get back home after this cruise and even gave him extra to he could pick up some gifts for his kids on the way home. He showed us pictures of his kids but I swear, they were cut out from a magazine. When I asked him the names of his kids, he seems a bit stunned ... kind of like he couldn't remember his own kid's names. Really?

Well, you can imagine the shock on his face when we saw him pulling the same act on our second leg of our cruise. Yep...his last cruise of his contract ... pictures of three kids from a magazine, not enough money to make it home. Excuse me for being so cynical but some (certainly not the majority) are working the room for suckers! I have even had one of the bar waiters once insist we add an additional tip as he doesn't get any of the 15% that is added to the charge. Bull pucky! The cruise line takes out a fair and appropriate amount of money to compensate the staff by way of gratuities. If someone goes far out of their way to make my cruise extra special (and it has to be something extraordinary for us and it has happened), I will either tip above or purchase something on shore as a token of my appreciation. Bringing your meal or a drink with a 'story' is certainly not going to get an extra tip from us.

On the other hand, we have had employees go way above and beyond ... even had them state an additional tip is not necessary. Most all employees are so good at what they do so don't mean to sound harsh but this poster is correct ... whatever their compensation is, it is!! They take the job knowing what it is and it may not seem fair to you but it is what they have agreed to. I will leave it at that!

When we were in Blu, I gave extra envelopes and was told that tips were pooled among staff. I saw them put the envelopes in a particular area. I specify asked our stateroom attendant and he shares extra tips with his assistant. This all seems fair.

Who cares???? You get quoted a price for the cruise... they even INCLUDE the gratuity! Do you know what the captain makes? Do you care what the talent coordinator in land makes? If the price is acceptable, go ahead and take the trip. If you were happy with the service and you want to go above and beyond, tip more. How that tip is distributed frankly is none of our business.

When I go to the dentist and I pay for a cleaning, I don't get indignant wondering how much of that cost when to the hygienist who did all the work as opposed to the dentist who employs him or her.

In the Constellation Martini Bar last November every time a cash tip was given they rang a bell and put it in a bowl or large jar. On the last night when we gave each of the bartenders an envelope with a cash tip they put them in the same bowl. It appears that they were pooling the tips in some manner.

Agree, have never understood the interest on this board re. the earnings of cruise ship employees. We tip well, as we do on land, and never think anymore about it

In the Constellation Martini Bar last November every time a cash tip was given they rang a bell and put it in a bowl or large jar. On the last night when we gave each of the bartenders an envelope with a cash tip they put them in the same bowl. It appears that they were pooling the tips in some manner.

That is true at the Martini Bar, where they work together to put on a show for us.

I can see it in a smaller venue, where the staff is likely to assist one another more, such as Blu.

I can't see it in Select Dining or the MDR for traditional dining. I don't think all that many people add an extra gratuity in Select unless they have the same waiter a number of times.

Who cares???? You get quoted a price for the cruise... they even INCLUDE the gratuity! Do you know what the captain makes? Do you care what the talent coordinator in land makes? If the price is acceptable, go ahead and take the trip. If you were happy with the service and you want to go above and beyond, tip more. How that tip is distributed frankly is none of our business.

When I go to the dentist and I pay for a cleaning, I don't get indignant wondering how much of that cost when to the hygienist who did all the work as opposed to the dentist who employs him or her.

I so agree with you, who cares??? And then I thumped myself on the head for even clicking on another tipping thread. :p

Was on the Summit in Blu last week. First waiter was ok but not great. Saw a waiter we'd had on prior cruise and switched. He was fantastic. Last night of cruise I was getting ready to tip him and assistant extra. Because of rumors, I asked him if he kept the extra tip or was it pooled. He said policy is all extra tips in Blu are pooled and shared. I went ahead and gave him the extra tip but was disappointed it was not going to the one I wanted and was shared with the waiter I didn't think deserved it. I understand sharing with assistants but disagree with pooling with everyone. Would seem to promote average service as no reward for outstanding service. Reduces the motivation to tip extra.

Gave extra tip to cabin stewards last night and while I did't specifically ask it sounded like he and assistant kept the extra tips.

Indeed!! Someone had to say it...and I thank you for putting it so bluntly!

I have had several staff members telling me their sad story in hopes to get extra tips. I have also seen it the other way around but one of the best examples was a B2B we were sailing on... unbeknownst to our waiter. Every night he would go on and on about it being his last cruise and he barely had enough money for his airfare to get back to see his family ... his wife and 3 kids. Our table mates on the first leg of our B2B were very generous to ensure he could get back home after this cruise and even gave him extra to he could pick up some gifts for his kids on the way home. He showed us pictures of his kids but I swear, they were cut out from a magazine. When I asked him the names of his kids, he seems a bit stunned ... kind of like he couldn't remember his own kid's names. Really?

Well, you can imagine the shock on his face when we saw him pulling the same act on our second leg of our cruise. Yep...his last cruise of his contract ... pictures of three kids from a magazine, not enough money to make it home. Excuse me for being so cynical but some (certainly not the majority) are working the room for suckers! I have even had one of the bar waiters once insist we add an additional tip as he doesn't get any of the 15% that is added to the charge. Bull pucky! The cruise line takes out a fair and appropriate amount of money to compensate the staff by way of gratuities. If someone goes far out of their way to make my cruise extra special (and it has to be something extraordinary for us and it has happened), I will either tip above or purchase something on shore as a token of my appreciation. Bringing your meal or a drink with a 'story' is certainly not going to get an extra tip from us.

On the other hand, we have had employees go way above and beyond ... even had them state an additional tip is not necessary. Most all employees are so good at what they do so don't mean to sound harsh but this poster is correct ... whatever their compensation is, it is!! They take the job knowing what it is and it may not seem fair to you but it is what they have agreed to. I will leave it at that!

Wow. Just, wow. That guy is clearly banking on people not knowing how the contracts operate. Unless Celebrity is VERY different from other cruiselines, there IS airfare home and back from vacations provided (part of the salary may be held in escrow for it, but I'm not sure) as part of the contracts each crew member signs.

But those who are going to scam are going to scam. Several years ago I had someone approach me in a parking lot with a sob story about he and his wife having to take their son to the ER the previous night and their car - a black one that was just far enough away you couldn't really tell if there was someone in it - had run out of gas on the way home. I had no money with me and told him so. Well, surprise, surprise - when I went to get lunch for the church staff, he was working the drive-through line with the same story only it was a 4 year old daughter and a red car. I looked him straight in the eye and said "Wasn't it a black car and three year old son this morning at the post office?" He took off running so he wouldn't get caught by the cops he knew would come as soon as I got to the window and told them what was going on.

Nowhere to run on the cruise ship though. This may be cruel, but I would a) not have believed him the first time and b) have been straight out guest services to report him when I saw him doing the same song and dance on the following cruise. That kind of behavior needs to be reported.