"Meatloaf" new low for RCCL Windjammer Lunch Carving Station

That is really a new low. Hope not to see that on the Indy this weekend.

We have found the food and service in MDR has sunk in recent years but it is still much, much better than the terrible food and even worse service we received on our one and only Celebrity cruise in March 2014. On that cruise, for the first time ever (30+cruises) we wished we could get off the ship and go home. We were Aqua class and thought Blu would be wonderful -- NOT except for Breakfast. One day the card outside Blu advertised "Airplane Chicken" -- I am not kidding. I spoke to the Maitre'd and he started to disagree with me so I turned the sign around so he could see it. It was quickly changed to some other chicken dish title.

Airline chicken refers to the particular cut of the chicken - not "airline food".

from Wikipedia -"... Airline chicken is a food dish comprising a boneless chicken breast with the drumette attached. Skin on breast with 1st wing joint and tenderloin attached, otherwise boneless. The cut is also known as a frenched breast..."

M

We had these on Vision (January 2016) every time we had lunch in the WJ, but they are more like mini carrot muffins, and they are not iced. What's carrot cake without cream cheese icing?

Edible by people with lactose allergies?

Is there a requirement that one has to eat this meatloaf??

Geez- seems as if they are forcing it down your throat.

You are going to a buffet for dinner, not sure why it's so evil to have meatloaf. One of the best things I've eaten was what all of you would call meatloaf.

So, for me, I'm going to TRY the dish before 1) not eating it, 2) condemning such a dish for a buffet, and 3) stretching all of that to cost cutting.

If it tastes good, I don't care where it's served.

One other note- while it *seems* as if it's easy and cheap to make- there's a LOT more labor in making a meat loaf than any roast. For a roast, you put your spices on it, and put it into the oven until it's done. Meatloaf has to be assembled- or at least all mixed together. So the offset of the "cost save" for the cut of meat is easily offset by the increase of labor. For you at home, your labor is free- which is why it's a good choice.

Fully agree regarding food cost vs. labor cost. Love meat loaf ! Don't understand all the complaints about meatloaf from other CC members. It's certainly a step above all the cold cut sandwich meats served on all RCCL ships . Meatloaf sandwich Yum !

Fully agree regarding food cost vs. labor cost. Love meat loaf ! Don't understand all the complaints about meatloaf from other CC members. It's certainly a step above all the cold cut sandwich meats served on all RCCL ships . Meatloaf sandwich Yum !

Im a meatloaf fan too if its made right. Ive never had much luck at the carving stations in the WJ. The meat is generally tough and chewy and lacks flavor or at least it did the times Ive tried it. The meatloaf may very well be an improvement :cool::eek:

The one thing that we really liked when doing out recent b2b2b on Jewel, was that every morning, during the CD's TV time, one of the Chef's from the WJ would give the days menus that included Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner and what the theme of each would be. Never noticed this on other ships.

Am I the only one that really doesn't see the big deal with meatloaf at the buffet, even if it was at the carving station?

Meatloaf to many is a comfort food, reminds them of "moms home cooking".....

I typically make meatloaf maybe 2x a year just because its not something we really prefer but many do. Its becoming more popular on restaurant menus too...even saw it on some high end restaurants in NYC before..

I'm with you. Are we really talking about switching cruise lines because of meatloaf? Are we really that entitled? Do we decide on a cruise vacation because of the food?

One thing to consider is that sometimes there are supply issues. I would think that all the food orders for the cruise line aren't always filled and they have to adapt.

Time to time the cruise lines can't get enough of what they ordered. For example sometimes there are supply issues with shrimp needed for thousands of servings. With the thousand of pounds and thousands of items, there will be some shortages.

So maybe there was a shortage on some of the types of meat and meatloaf was a solution.

The resent snow storm may cause some of the favorites to not show on an upcoming cruise.

Just back from b2b cruises on the Adventure out of San Juan and found that the "meatloaf" offering at the Windjammer carving station is a new low for RCCL. Roast Beef was offered day 1 only of each week but then the choices varied from lamb, corned beef, jerk pork and turkey loaf.

Unlike previous cruises the mini carrot cake cupcakes and mini cheesecakes were repeated every day in the windjammer for dessert with very little variety.

We have always enjoyed our cruises with Royal over the years (I believe our total is nearing 35 after those last 2) but we feel like they really do not appreciate our loyalty to the cruise line, taking our business for granted.

We boarded with the intentions of booking a next cruise on a transatlantic sailing followed by a med cruise but after day 2 of week 1 we decided to wait and take a look at options after arriving back home.

That's not a first for RCI ships. We had meatloaf on Jewel in the windjammer always during dinner time. We had it on 2 different cruises on Jewel back in the winter and spring of 2013 and thought that was pretty strange.

Vision has the worst selection of food in the WJ for lunch and dinner of any of the ships I have been on and I have 37 Royal cruises and a variety of ships and classes.

This is no lie...one night on Vision they had 3 different styles of eggs for dinner.

1. Fried eggs in a pan after they have been in the pan for a spell the yokes are solid.

2. Small cheese omelets in a pan

3. Hard boiled eggs

Other things they had to go with it were mashed potatoes, rice dish, barbecue chicken and some Moroccan Lamb dish and some fish. I really thought strange to have all those egg dishes for dinner.

That's not a first for RCI ships. We had meatloaf on Jewel in the windjammer

Was it good? With some variance between WJ's on the ships I've found I have enjoyed the food on Jewel's WJ than the other ships. I was very pleased on my first 2012 Jewel trip to find a pork chop offered. Its a simple fare, probably barely above meatloaf in the mind of some, but I love a good one and while it can be hard to find a good one in a restaurant, this one was good!

We boarded with the intentions of booking a next cruise on a transatlantic sailing followed by a med cruise but after day 2 of week 1 we decided to wait and take a look at options after arriving back home.

Wow - choosing not to book because of meatloaf and cupcakes!

It's interesting that Carnival began serving meatloaf in the MDR as a main course years ago.

Meatloaf can be absolutely delicious depending on the quality and cooking of the ingredients. I would certainly not complain about meatloaf being served one day at the carving station. There are much more important things on a cruise.

As an aside, the meatballs on Indy a few weeks ago were inedible. Upset, why? Just didn't eat them. I will say the quality of desserts was good to excellent.

Wow - choosing not to book because of meatloaf and cupcakes!

It's interesting that Carnival began serving meatloaf in the MDR as a main course years ago.

Meatloaf can be absolutely delicious depending on the quality and cooking of the ingredients. I would certainly not complain about meatloaf being served one day at the carving station. There are much more important things on a cruise.

As an aside, the meatballs on Indy a few weeks ago were inedible. Upset, why? Just didn't eat them. I will say the quality of desserts was good to excellent.

I've read that Princess is also offering meatloaf as one of their entrees you can elect to have in the MDR. We like meatloaf (in my opinion my wife makes the best meatloaf) and agree with you that there are plenty of other selections on the menu to choose from no matter where you eat.

Edited by davekathy

Just got off the Serenade 11 days and don't recall meatloaf either..

I do know at night they had a "special area" with food cooked to order..

rice dishes (add meats, veggies and etc.) pasta, each night was a theme and on night was African night (the first) very good and interesting.

As for the food on RCCL yes I do believe it has gone down as other cruise lines..

In the main dinner room it wasn't that great or hot so we went upstairs to the Windjammer...maybe that is why they offer special prices for their specialty restaurant...:D

also they sat a nun at my table.. lol... no she did not bother me; matter a fact we talked every day. The poor thing broke her wrist and she asked them to look for me before they send her to the hospital..

We do talk and she emails me regular now..

I do feel that carnival has a good selection and yes their meatloaf as the comfort food was good...

Hello! Actually airplane chicken is an actual dish! It had roots back when airplane food was prized cuisine. It's mainly a piece of boneless chicken breast with the drumette attached. But If the rest of the food wasn't great, it probably wouldn't have been either,

I was going to post the same thing! To be honest, a dish named airplane chicken doesn't sound too appetizing.

Edited by WyKnott