The Sea in the Carribean

Canadian Sunset

We are heading out on Celebrity Eclipse on February 21 for two weeks. I recently heard that there had been rough seas and wondered if any had experienced this. I don't have a problem, but my husband is sensitive. I've ordered the patches just in case, but hope that it won't be an issue.

We are heading out on Celebrity Eclipse on February 21 for two weeks. I recently heard that there had been rough seas and wondered if any had experienced this. I don't have a problem, but my husband is sensitive. I've ordered the patches just in case, but hope that it won't be an issue.

Unfortunately no one can predict the weather, We did this cruise around the same time a couple of years ago & the seas were very quiet. There is just no way to predict, I always take Ginger gravol with me just in case or try dry crackers if queasy but normally he will be fine. We are on the same cruise.

Edited by If only

Caribbean seas are generally calm. However, that obviously changes if there is a storm around. Also, I'm not sure of your itinerary, but if you're leaving from Florida, the days traveling the Atlantic to the Caribbean have always been pretty motion filled for us. But once we hit the Caribbean, it was like a light switch was flipped.

We were just on the January 16th Reflection and it was pretty bad. The first 3 days were not nice at all. Many many sick people, a few falls etc. I was with my Mom, 2 sisters, my daughter and my niece. My sister and I were fine, neither of us ever have a problem. My other sister and niece were ill so put on their scop patches and were fine in a few hours. My Mom and my daughter were also not too good and my daughter ended up putting a patch on too.

It takes a bit for the patch to kick in but once it did they were ok. To be fair, out of those 4 who weren't well, 3 of them are very sensitive and even don't feel well in the back of a car.

The seas were very rolling. Not so much sharp or rough pitching like I've had on other trips but big rolling waves which didn't look too bad when you looked out but was apparently hard on the stomach.

This was one of the top 2 or 3 worst that I've been on in 25 cruises. The weather wasn't all that great for most of the cruise either.

Odds are you'll be fine, but anyone who is sensitive should always carry the scop patches. $10 for a pack of 2 at Costco here in Canada. Cheap insurance.

We're on the Connie on the 16th of Feb. so hopefully we have better seas and weather this time. lol

Edited by doodlefan

As stated above, no one can predict the weather or seas three weeks in advance. The being said, for the most part, the Caribbean is calm seas. We have been on cruises where for a day or two it has been rough. We also swear by the patches and alway take them with us, although for the last many cruises we have not had to wear them. I am very sensitive and also get car sick in the back seat, but I have lately been fine.

Have a great cruise

You could also get Sea Bands. Little elastic bands you wear on your wrists. WAlgreens, CVS, Walmart, even the ship has them. They work great and have no side effects. I only get nauseous on tenders in rough water or on sailboats when the seas are high. I always carry them with me in those cases. You can put them on after you are feeling poorly or before.

Doctors even use them for people with vertigo and pregnant women with morning sickness.

Edited by Vol fan

Just to illustrate how varying the seas can be:

We cruised the first week in May and the seas were very calm. The highest seas we had were 4-7 ft. and that was just for one afternoon. The sky was clear, it was sunny and hot

The next year, we cruised during the same exact week on the same exact ship. The seas were 25 ft., it was cloudy, cool and overcast 95% of the week. The winds were between 40-50mph most of the week. Talk about a rough cruise! The winds seem to make it much worse than the waves do.

You just never know for sure what you'll get. If you're prepared for the worst, it'll take a lot of the worry out of the picture for you.

Edited by DrivesLikeMario

Thanks for all of the input. I think the patches will be a good idea, as we are at sea for two days. Better safe than sorry. We were also told to pick up some bonamine as it doesn't have the same sedating effect as gravol.

Just be aware that the patch (at least the one with scopolamine can have some unpleasant side effects like very dry mouth, blurred vision and dizziness), but maybe you have used the patch before so you know that. Also, the other medication is Bonine (brand name) and the generic of that is meclazine. Most chain drug stores here in the states like CVS, Walgreen's, etc. have their own store brand of meclazine which is almost always cheaper than Bonine. Hope you don't need either!:)

We were just on the January 16th Reflection and it was pretty bad. The first 3 days were not nice at all. Many many sick people, a few falls etc. I was with my Mom, 2 sisters, my daughter and my niece. My sister and I were fine, neither of us ever have a problem. My other sister and niece were ill so put on their scop patches and were fine in a few hours. My Mom and my daughter were also not too good and my daughter ended up putting a patch on too.

It takes a bit for the patch to kick in but once it did they were ok. To be fair, out of those 4 who weren't well, 3 of them are very sensitive and even don't feel well in the back of a car.

The seas were very rolling. Not so much sharp or rough pitching like I've had on other trips but big rolling waves which didn't look too bad when you looked out but was apparently hard on the stomach.

This was one of the top 2 or 3 worst that I've been on in 25 cruises. The weather wasn't all that great for most of the cruise either.

Odds are you'll be fine, but anyone who is sensitive should always carry the scop patches. $10 for a pack of 2 at Costco here in Canada. Cheap insurance.

We're on the Connie on the 16th of Feb. so hopefully we have better seas and weather this time. lol

I would be stunned if there were rough seas in the Caribbean this time of year unless there a storm there. Can I ask what port you sailed out of?

I'd like to chime in with the rest of the fellow cruise posters. I don't travel by air. I am claustrophobic and don't like heights. With that being said I love to cruise. I love every aspect of it.. But I am a little sqweemish when it coms to the seas. I don't get sick just don't feel 100 %. I don't like motion.

So for me the delicate little flower I am I do the behind the ear patches.i think they are called transdermal patches. Trust me I've wore the wristband things, seasick meds, Bonine, and so on but I would do the behind the ear patches. Put them on right away when you get up in the a.m. the day of your cruise so you know it gets in your system and if you are like me. I had a hard time keeping them on behind my ear so... Just put them on then add some surgical tape and they will stay on forever pretty much.Till you need to change them.

The key is not to wait till the ship is moving and you are on your cruise. I did that once and it just seemed like it never caught up.

We are leaving for Southern Caribbean in 2 weeks and I am sure you will be fine but as a previous poster said .. Be ready with the patches.. It won't hurt to put them on..don't worry and just enjoy your cruise..

Sailing through the Florida Straits (first day or two) is usually the roughest if you are going to have heavy sea.

Also, if the ship is actually in the Atlantic rather than the Caribbean, seas can be much higher. If you are really curious go to weather.com and see where the low pressure areas are. The heavy seas will be there too.

Just be aware that the patch can have some unpleasant side effects like very dry mouth, blurred vision and dizziness),

I think those side effects are from the drink package. :D

Eclipse Jan 10-24 sailing was fine

A bit of rolling last couple of days but I was not affected & didn't hear of anyone suffering. We usually sail in January and have smooth seas but I agree that there are no sure things

A long-ago sailing New York to Bermuda very rocky

To my fellow motion sickness sufferers, when I read about seasickness I always have to mention a product I use called "Motioneaze" - it's wonderful! You just place a couple drops behind each ear (it's an all natural herbal oil) and voila, no motion problems.

You can use it prior to sailing, or it will help in about 5 minutes if you're already queasy. The charter fishing guys down here all keep it aboard in case their customers have problems as it helps keep them catching fish instead of "feeding" them LOL.

The only con that I have found is that you notice a sort of lavender-herbal type aroma for a couple minutes after you apply it (fades away), but other that that, you're golden - instead of green!

http://motioneaze.com/

Just be aware that the patch (at least the one with scopolamine can have some unpleasant side effects like very dry mouth, blurred vision and dizziness), but maybe you have used the patch before so you know that.

A little known fact is that the blurred vision is due to pupil dilation caused by people who touch the patch, don't wash their hands, and then touch around their eyes. A doctor told us this a couple years ago and ever since, when we use the patch we no longer have blurred vision. So if you do use the patch, make sure you wash your hands thoroughly after any time you touch it. I was always worried about it falling off so I was always touching it.

As it happens, we stopped using the patch and only use sea bands now, and that is only if the motion gets really bad.

I've traveled on most bodies of water around the world and the Caribbean is definitely one of the more tame ones, on my last cruise two weeks ago the water was like glass with the exception of later in the day when it got stormy in Key West. I find if you are travelling to Mexico the water gets rough around the Yucatán Channel between Cuba and Mexico.

Worst I've found is the South Pacific, Tasman Sea can be brutal between Australia and New Zealand (woke up to my cabin furniture being rearranged while I slept and a wine soaked carpet, I was on the Pacific Sun when that nasty storm hit and everything got thrown around, check the video on youtube)

Edited by JRYMCMB

The sea in Feb is usually very calm. Can it change, of course but how would anyone know what will happen in 3 weeks

A little known fact is that the blurred vision is due to pupil dilation caused by people who touch the patch, don't wash their hands, and then touch around their eyes. A doctor told us this a couple years ago and ever since, when we use the patch we no longer have blurred vision. So if you do use the patch, make sure you wash your hands thoroughly after any time you touch it. I was always worried about it falling off so I was always touching it.

As it happens, we stopped using the patch and only use sea bands now, and that is only if the motion gets really bad.

As Johnny Carson used to say..."I did not know that." Interesting. Thanks!:)