Non USA embarkation/disembarkation and money question

1of4

I have much time on my hands these days so I got to the dangerous occupation of thinking.... With the exchange rate for most non-US currencies at "hard to justify" levels with the US $ I was wondering what non US citizens are doing with cruises that do not leave or return to US ports. Like cruises in the Mediterranean, Baltics, Asia, Australia or even Alaskan cruises out of Vancouver.

My question is for extra tipping, if you chose to do it, will you pay in your local currency or will you exchange your currency to US dollars?

My cruise is in July 2017 out of Amsterdam so I am hoping for a more positive exchange rate by then but I was just wondering what others do routinely. If you live in Europe and are sailing from a European port, for example, would you ensure you had US cash on hand for extra tipping onboard? It seems a bit too much, to me, to lose (currently) 40 cents on the dollar to give a tip in a currency that the ship is not visiting.

Noet, we always pay the HSC (times 4) and would not change that. This question is only for extra tips handed out during or on the last day of the cruise.

Why would someone exchange currency just for tipping? We always use whatever currency we have to tip, and we live in the US.

Especially in Europe, Euros make much more sense to tip with as they can be used with the "tipee" is in port.

There's no requirement to tip in a particular currency, and all currencies are gladly accepted by staff and crew.

As US citizens on ships that fleetwide use US dollars as the on board currency, we have tipped in dollars every time we sail on HAL, which has included the Med, Baltic and South America. We have also left any remaining local currency that was no longer needed.

The employees will accept whatever you might leave.

What tour currency does between now and mid 2017 when you cruise is not predictable. It may be in your favor at that time.

When deciding about your currency for extra tips, why not ask yourself if the recipient is likely to be able to use the non-US currency easily.

Early in the Europe season, the person is likely to have an opportunity to leave the ship and make use of the funds, or at the very least be able to trade it off with someone who is.

But later in the season, the chances of that person being able to go ashore and spend it are greatly reduced, so the foreign currency would be more problematic for them.

No matter what currency you use, the recipient will be gracious, and thankful.

My understanding is that most shipboard employees send their money home. I think tipping in whatever currency you have is a good idea. If you use dollars, they pay a fee to convert that into their home currency. If you change dollars into euros, then they change it into home currency, two exchange fees are incurred.

If you happen to have local currency, then they can use it if they get off ship.

I asked one time when we were in Europe and was told that the crew would happily accept euros, or for that matter any reasonable currency (ie, not Russian rubles - LOL) that could be used in ports or easily exchanged. The crew apparently barter among themselves as well as have their own exchange on board.

Coins cannot be exchanged so I would avoid that in case they are not spending $ in port.

Using the currency of a country that is going to be visited on a regular basis should be fine IMO.

I would like to add, that passengers are not expected to tip extra. The HSC(automatic tips) are more than a sufficient gratuity. Plus every bar bill and extra charge has a 15% gratuity included.

I do like to tip extra for room service, but even that is not necessary.

As long as you leave the HSC alone, you will have left sufficient tips. Then there is no need to worry about what currency to hand out.

I would like to add, that passengers are not expected to tip extra. The HSC(automatic tips) are more than a sufficient gratuity. Plus every bar bill and extra charge has a 15% gratuity included.

I do like to tip extra for room service, but even that is not necessary.

As long as you leave the HSC alone, you will have left sufficient tips. Then there is no need to worry about what currency to hand out.

Absolutely, but op traditionally tips IN ADDITION TO THE HSC which they leave in place, as some of us do. It is not necessary, but a choice to tip extra to certain people.

Interesting that somebody would use the term "hard to justify" to explain international currency rates. Actually, in simple terms, the currency exchange rates are a relatively pure market dictated by simple supply and demand (which can be somewhat manipulated by speculators). While the exchange rates may not meet with the approval of the OP, it is often the result of the fiscal policy of one's own government. The real question that the OP does not ask is whether a Canadian is justified by making others pay the price for the unfortunate (and we think temporary) decline in the value of Canadian currency? And we think the answer is clearly no.

As to how this impacts a US Traveler (we are very active international travelers) we simply use local currency in most places and obtain such currency through normal methods (primarily ATMs). We have traveled in Europe when the Euro cost us about $1.45 and we have also traveled when it cost us $0.94! If we do not want to accept the currency situation then we would simply stay home!

Hank

When deciding about your currency for extra tips, why not ask yourself if the recipient is likely to be able to use the non-US currency easily.

Early in the Europe season, the person is likely to have an opportunity to leave the ship and make use of the funds, or at the very least be able to trade it off with someone who is.

But later in the season, the chances of that person being able to go ashore and spend it are greatly reduced, so the foreign currency would be more problematic for them.

No matter what currency you use, the recipient will be gracious, and thankful.

I would normally agree with you, Ruth on questioning if they have the opportunity to spend the funds. However, I do know for sure that in Alaska cruise season the crew is in port every week, and contribute much to our economy. ;) Just watch them coming back to the ship with their bags from Footlocker, the Gap, Banana Republic, etc etc.

So, 1of4, that definitely has me thinking. On an Alaska cruise from and back to Vancouver, changing up my Canadian dollars for additional tips money is painful right now given the exchange rate. I think I would probably still give USD for my room service tips each morning, but perhaps the extra tips we give our MDR and bar servers at the end of the cruise, which are fairly substantial, will be in Canadian dollars. I know they will have lots of opportunity to spend it. And as an aside, a crew member friend saves all his non-US tips until he goes on leave, then exchanges it all in his local currency and buys big items. :)

Thanks for raising the topic.

Lizzie, that is why I say that when in the season the person is traveling makes a difference.

Crew who receive Canadian currency in May have lots of opportunity to spend it at some point during the season; or trade it with other crew who will.

But if you were taking the last cruise of the season, and the ship is then heading off on the coastal cruise, and then on to several months of hot weather, then you might do it differently.

Or not, but it is something to think about an make an informed decision about.

We tip in whatever currency we have or want to dispose of. We would never convert currency simply to tip. The crew exchange, and they constantly send money home. We know that the chances are very high that no matter what currency we tip in the recipient will be exchanging it for something else.

Canadian dollar is in the toilet. So we simply are avoiding US priced cruises and any US travel. We are using our US cash sparingly and may actually cash our USD bank account in to take advantage of the gain. Not an issue because we both have a long bucket lists.

We base our travel on what specials are available as well as the impact of prevailing currency rates. Leaving in a few weeks for several months in SE Asia. We will spend beach time in Thailand instead of Hawaii or Florida or a Caribbean cruise. And if our currency has not improved next winter we are planning for South America. Last fall it was Greece. Looks like Greece and Turkey, again this fall plus Croatia given the decline in tourism in those areas.The euro is not as bad for us but we pick our spots carefully to match market conditions with our travel lists.

Edited by iancal

Crew who receive Canadian currency in May have lots of opportunity to spend it at some point during the season; or trade it with other crew who will. But if you were taking the last cruise of the season, ...
But if they accumulate a currency they can not spend or trade, they will have a nest egg to convert in one of the airports they pass through on their way home at the end of their contract. :)

Interesting that somebody would use the term "hard to justify" to explain international currency rates. Actually, in simple terms, the currency exchange rates are a relatively pure market dictated by simple supply and demand (which can be somewhat manipulated by speculators). While the exchange rates may not meet with the approval of the OP, it is often the result of the fiscal policy of one's own government. The real question that the OP does not ask is whether a Canadian is justified by making others pay the price for the unfortunate (and we think temporary) decline in the value of Canadian currency? And we think the answer is clearly no.

As to how this impacts a US Traveler (we are very active international travelers) we simply use local currency in most places and obtain such currency through normal methods (primarily ATMs). We have traveled in Europe when the Euro cost us about $1.45 and we have also traveled when it cost us $0.94! If we do not want to accept the currency situation then we would simply stay home!

Hank

Hank,

I agree with your post, except that I don't think that a government's policies have anything to do with exchange rates. It is all based on the value of imports versus exports. Oil is one of Canada's major exports, and when the price of oil tanked, Canada's income from exports tanked too. Thus the drop in the Canadian Dollar.

The opposite happened to the US Dollar. The US is the largest importer of oil, when the price of oil went down, it lowered the value of imports to the US, causing the US Dollar to go up in value.

When the price of oil goes back up, as it always does, the Canadian Dollar will go up, and the US Dollar will go down.

Hank,

I agree with your post, except that I don't think that a government's policies have anything to do with exchange rates. It is all based on the value of imports versus exports. Oil is one of Canada's major exports, and when the price of oil tanked, Canada's income from exports tanked too. Thus the drop in the Canadian Dollar.

The opposite happened to the US Dollar. The US is the largest importer of oil, when the price of oil went down, it lowered the value of imports to the US, causing the US Dollar to go up in value.

When the price of oil goes back up, as it always does, the Canadian Dollar will go up, and the US Dollar will go down.

I think you and Hank are both correct. While certainly the price of oil has negatively affected the Canadian dollar, government policies, such as setting interest rates, will also affect the exchange rate.

There is a significant difference to this 'bust' cycle beyond the usual supply and demand curve.

Technological advances in discovery and extraction are moving all of the charts sideways. This is very different than past boom and bust cycles...at least it is in our part of the oil world.

There is a significant difference to this 'bust' cycle beyond the usual supply and demand curve.

Technological advances in discovery and extraction are moving all of the charts sideways. This is very different than past boom and bust cycles...at least it is in our part of the oil world.

Very true. You can't discount political factors as well. In past periods of slack demand, Saudi Arabia has cut production. It has not done so this time either to undercut the competition, punish Iran, or whatever.

Hank

Hank,

I am unsure what your posts have to do with the topic of this thread. Most Canadians are well aware of what the problem is, and I see no "blame" being assigned.

Specifically to this

[quote] The real question that the OP does not ask is whether a Canadian is justified by making others pay the price for the unfortunate (and we think temporary) decline in the value of Canadian currency? And we think the answer is clearly no.[endquote]

nowhere does the OP suggest making others "pay the price". I find that comment offensive, well beyond insulting. For some reason, I expect better from you. I think it is far beneath you, hlitner, to make such an insulting comment. The OP clearly stated the HSC would be left in place, and as you and virtually every other CC poster knows, payment of the HSC is the only expected/required payment to the crew.

If discussing the current reality for Canadian cruisers offends you (general "you", not a specific "you") somehow, let me remind you that there is a large contingent of Canadians on CC. If a topic that interests them does not interest you, you are under no obligation to participate. Nor is there any requirement for you to encourage thread drift.

Edited by CowPrincess

I think you and Hank are both correct. While certainly the price of oil has negatively affected the Canadian dollar, government policies, such as setting interest rates, will also affect the exchange rate.

I will politely disagree with you. Interest rates effects the economy within a country, but they don't have any effect on the balance of trade. And the exchange rate between two countries is determined by how much currency is exchanged between those two countries. Most currency is exchanged electronically as a function of international trade, however tourism plays a minor role.

If there is a decrease in US Dollars going to Canada (because of the lower price of oil), then the Canadian Dollar is going to go down in relationship to the US Dollar.

Hank

As is always a danger when not communicating face to face, misinterpretation can happen. I must be a simpler person as my masters degree is not in economics, finance or international relations. My comment about "hard to justify" was not a global comment, rather a personal one. It is difficult for us as a Canadian family of 4 to justify changing a Canadian dollar into an American dollar when we won't be anywhere near the USA. I am a well versed traveller myself and always use local currency. My question was specifically regarding tipping HAL staff on the ship that uses US currency when the ship is not in US waters during any part of the voyage. Why should we stay home or change our money Iinto a currency not used in the countries visited just to show appreciation to non US citizens who may have to pay another exchange rate?

Appreciate all the replies. We will probably tip in Euros.

As is always a danger when not communicating face to face, misinterpretation can happen. I must be a simpler person as my masters degree is not in economics, finance or international relations. My comment about "hard to justify" was not a global comment, rather a personal one. It is difficult for us as a Canadian family of 4 to justify changing a Canadian dollar into an American dollar when we won't be anywhere near the USA. I am a well versed traveller myself and always use local currency. My question was specifically regarding tipping HAL staff on the ship that uses US currency when the ship is not in US waters during any part of the voyage. Why should we stay home or change our money Iinto a currency not used in the countries visited just to show appreciation to non US citizens who may have to pay another exchange rate?

Appreciate all the replies. We will probably tip in Euros.

Bolding is mine. Totally agree. Euros for the additional tip makes sense in your scenario to me

I am unsure what your posts have to do with the topic of this thread. Most Canadians are well aware of what the problem is, and I see no "blame" being assigned.

Specifically to this

[quote] The real question that the OP does not ask is whether a Canadian is justified by making others pay the price for the unfortunate (and we think temporary) decline in the value of Canadian currency? And we think the answer is clearly no.[endquote]

nowhere does the OP suggest making others "pay the price". I find that comment offensive, well beyond insulting. For some reason, I expect better from you. I think it is far beneath you, hlitner, to make such an insulting comment. The OP clearly stated the HSC would be left in place, and as you and virtually every other CC poster knows, payment of the HSC is the only expected/required payment to the crew.

If discussing the current reality for Canadian cruisers offends you (general "you", not a specific "you") somehow, let me remind you that there is a large contingent of Canadians on CC. If a topic that interests them does not interest you, you are under no obligation to participate. Nor is there any requirement for you to encourage thread drift.

So, you are surprised that a thread has drifted from the original subject? Doesn't this happen to most threads here?

I will politely disagree with you. Interest rates effects the economy within a country, but they don't have any effect on the balance of trade. And the exchange rate between two countries is determined by how much currency is exchanged between those two countries. Most currency is exchanged electronically as a function of international trade, however tourism plays a minor role.

If there is a decrease in US Dollars going to Canada (because of the lower price of oil), then the Canadian Dollar is going to go down in relationship to the US Dollar.

Obviously, you are more expert than I in the field of economics. I believed that if U.S. interest rates rise, there would be more foreign purchases of U.S. bonds which probably would have the effect of strengthening the U.S. dollar. I am not an economist, however, and my thesis may be entirely false.

People seem to be losing sight of the fact that extra tipping is voluntary and not required. Therefore the choice of currency is up to the person giving the EXTRA tip. As long as the HSC is left in place nobody should be made to feel bad for being generous enough to extra tip regardless of the currency. Extra is extra.