Shares of Royal Caribbean sink 13% after Q1 guidance falls short of estimates

Beachammo

That was funny.:D All joking aside, you are right. There is a lot to learn. And I suspect the more publicity this virus gets the more young couples will very much consider whether a few days on a cruise is worth the possible risk of a lifetime with an unhealthy child.

On the other hand, it has been known for years that drugs, alcohol, tobacco, diet, and exercise all have an impact on the fetus. Do you think the overweight smoking drinkers are going to pay that much attention to a mosquito?

On the other hand, it has been known for years that drugs, alcohol, tobacco, diet, and exercise all have an impact on the fetus. Do you think the overweight smoking drinkers are going to pay that much attention to a mosquito?

I've seen plenty of people on cruises who don't look to be overweight smoking drinkers. However, that might be because I spend a fair amount of time in the fitness center, on the rock wall, and flow rider. Most of the younger women that I take care of are quite interested in doing what it will take for the best odds at producing a healthy child. Are you saying that cruisers have a different mentality?

Who knows? Neither of us have a Crystal Ball! The real problem may be Royals sub par CS and foolish cost cutting that cheapens their product.

Totally agree with this comment. After holding RCL stock since 2008 and taking two cruises on RCL early last year, I sold my holdings after coming back from the second trip totally disappointed with the experiences. Wake up RCL, you can only cut services and costs so much before people will go elsewhere.

The Zika virus that has become big news only in January could not have had anything to do with 4Q earnings.

Edited by ILCruiser

I've seen plenty of people on cruises who don't look to be overweight smoking drinkers. However, that might be because I spend a fair amount of time in the fitness center, on the rock wall, and flow rider. Most of the younger women that I take care of are quite interested in doing what it will take for the best odds at producing a healthy child. Are you saying that cruisers have a different mentality?

Not at all. My perception is that many women and men of child-rearing age are unwilling to give up bad habits just because of something that some doctor may tell them about some possible ill effects. I wouldn't expect the cruising population in that age range are going to be any different. Hopefully your assessment of that population is more accurate than mine

Big Ships, Rapid Expansion, and a new virus to deal with... I see future price decreases coming our way.

Indeed. Those that are blind with royal will tell you that demand is high and they are filling their ship. Maybe they are but I see lots of stateroom available weeks before sailing try to book a Disney cruise 2 weeks before sailing and you are out of luck ( that's what I really call demand). No matter what people say taking a cruise vacation was of big value when gas prices were high now it's a different story. Time will tell but I see prices going down in the future.

Who knows? Neither of us have a Crystal Ball! The real problem may be Royals sub par CS and foolish cost cutting that cheapens their product.
Sorry to ruin your post, but Yogi is pretty well spot on with his observations. Thank god your not my portfolio manager!!!:rolleyes:

I have a serious question - I was just wondering if anyone knew how Quantum was running in Asia? Are they full sailings? Has it been a successful venture? Or, too early to tell?

Good question. I would like to know the answer to that also. RC is investing so much for the China market and now they have problems.

I do think this Zika virus will effect the cruise industry at least moderately. Many more young families cruising theses days.

We have had the stock for many years as well.

It probably doesn't help that several other crusie lines are offering free perks . Offering a free drink package is huge! It made us chose NCL last time. The BOGO is not really a sale the prices are higher at BOGO then they were a year or two ago without it. Yes you can raise the price and call it BOGO. (New cruisers may think this is great but repeat cruisers know better) I've always cruised with RCCL but and have never considered any other lines until the last year or so. I am trying Oasis this year because the price is ok because it is off season and I really want to try an Oasis class ship . But if they do not start to offer the same kinds of deals everyone else is , they will not only lose some of my business they will lose a lot of business!

I had never used RCL, but I was going to give them a try in October. Well NCL Did me one better in August. Drink Package and no Single Supplement. And an extra three days during high season.

Now I can splurge on My X cruise in Asia for Christmas and New Years. [emoji2].

Drink package and OBC.

They will definitely have to entice new cruisers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a serious question - I was just wondering if anyone knew how Quantum was running in Asia? Are they full sailings? Has it been a successful venture? Or, too early to tell?

I just checked prices for Quantum for the month of May. 4 of the 7 cruises are sold out, and the ones that weren't were running about $1200 for a balcony. Those are only 5 night cruises, so I'd say they're doing all right.

Full sailings, prices generally on the up.

However it is a young market and promotions and operations are handled quite differently there from elsewhere.

As for success, there's a fair bit of refinement still underway, but don't appear to be any major issues.

I realize it's the same company, but I just cancelled a Harmony cruise, and booked a 9 day Celebrity on the Silhouette for the same price plus I get free Grats. I had $300.00 OBC either way. The Harmony was the same stale Western Carib I went on the Oasis a couple of years ago. What a pleasure not to be in Nassau or Jamaica on a cruise.

Big Ships, Rapid Expansion, and a new virus to deal with... I see future price decreases coming our way.

Nah....they'll just raise the prices again on their booze packages to make up the difference..:rolleyes: