Live/Cloud: South Africa-Botswana+, Many Pix’s, Terry/Ohio

TLCOhio

To complete this fun and scenic day down to Boulder Beach, the Cape of Good Hope, etc., here are six additional visuals.

This includes some added visuals from Kirstenbosch National Botanical Gardens. This famous garden is located at the eastern foot of Table Mountain in Cape Town. When Kirstenbosch was founded in 1913, its goal was to preserve the country's unique flora. It was one of the first botanical garden in the world to have this objective and they placs a strong emphasis on the cultivation of indigenous plants.

The land was purchased by Cecil John Rhodes in 1895. The area became run-down, with large groups of pigs feeding on the acorns and wallowing in the pools. But the land now occupied by Kirstenbosch Gardens was bequeathed to the nation by Rhodes, who died in 1902. It took much work by a a botanist who came from Cambridge University in 1903 to start the process to make these gardens become the "jewel" that exists now.

Here is website with more information on these famous gardens:

http://www.sanbi.org/gardens/kirstenbosch

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

If Venice is one of your future desires or past favorites, look at this earlier posting for many options and visual samples this city that is so great for "walking around", personally seeing its great history and architecture. This posting is now at 57,989 views.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

First, we needed some lunch. We stopped at a water-side seafood places. Below is a visual of the seafood "sampler" that I ordered and super enjoyed. WOW!! Lots of good treats from the sea!! Our lunch was at Harbour House in Kalk Bay.:

Africa2016PixsC33_zpsr85qtoan.jpg

Here are some various, added visual samples from our afternoon visit to Kirstenbosch National Botanical Gardens. In the last picture is an African Hadedam Ibis that was also enjoying this scenic gardens.:

Africa2016PixsC27_zpsowyjrtod.jpg

Africa2016PixsC31_zpsq7ujxkfx.jpg

Africa2016PixsC30_zpsfirewf6s.jpg

Africa2016PixsC32_zps3gttseqh.jpg

Africa2016PixsC44_zpsuyajxfsu.jpg

Terry, glad you had time to do more updates.

I remember you asking about touring vineyards in near the Cape Town region and I was one of the people who highly recommend it.

While we didn't have lunch there we did visit Delayer—Graff Vineyard which is one of the most amazing vineyards I have visited in terms of beauty, size and buildout. We did a tasting there that was wonderful just last year.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Iy-FkxduJG8/VR67xpYMlxI/AAAAAAAAtx8/C6ssAAx0cDQ/s1600/IMG_4075.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-KTjR4OQ6ifc/VR672BLI1TI/AAAAAAAAtyE/Y0XskNSN-7I/s1600/IMG_4076.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-E4Na5PHEiBA/VR68HwcMNLI/AAAAAAAAtyY/tUX4cUqvog0/s1600/IMG_4078.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-2_Df-LSs0C0/VR68bQqGuTI/AAAAAAAAty0/6gmgK_D_ACM/s1600/IMG_4083.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-MyvOVtSjUxk/VR68hF9u-UI/AAAAAAAAtzA/ph6547gXCMc/s1600/IMG_4084.jpg

You both got to go to many of the places that we have enjoyed in Cape Town including the Cape itself.

So much to see.

As some say, the San Francisco of South Africa and that part of the world.

Love you photos and narrative.

Keith

Again Terry outstanding photos. I know you both have fallen in love with Africa like we did ten years ago. Hopefully you will visit East Africa as well. As I mentioned we are going back in a few months for four weeks and your journey made us feel so good. Thank you again for sharing.

Terry, glad you had time to do more updates. I remember you asking about touring vineyards in near the Cape Town region and I was one of the people who highly recommend it. While we didn't have lunch there we did visit Delayer—Graff Vineyard which is one of the most amazing vineyards I have visited in terms of beauty, size and buildout. We did a tasting there that was wonderful just last year. You both got to go to many of the places that we have enjoyed in Cape Town including the Cape itself. So much to see. As some say, the San Francisco of South Africa and that part of the world. Love you photos and narrative. Keith

spinnaker2: Thanks Terry. Magical places reflected in terrific photography. I love the idea of the plate chandelier. One must have high ceilings and much space to do that however. Spectacular look!

Suite Travels: Again Terry outstanding photos. I know you both have fallen in love with Africa like we did ten years ago. Hopefully you will visit East Africa as well. As I mentioned we are going back in a few months for four weeks and your journey made us feel so good. Thank you again for sharing.

Appreciate these great follow-ups and comments from Keith and our two good friends in Florida. Yes' date=' Keith was very smart and strong in his push for doing this western Cape's winelands region. It really worked out well for us and was much different than what we had done previously in Europe, California, etc. Glad that Keith has posted those additional pictures and shares our excitement about that and other locations there in South Africa.

For Suite Travels, good luck with your [b']upcoming East Africa travels[/b]. We would like to see those areas, but some of the "safety/politics" there right now raises questions and concerns. Like what happened yesterday in Turkey and Ivory Coast, some regions of the world are not as ideal as we desire. The odds for something really bad happening are low, BUT, one needs to be careful during these challenging times.

For spinnaker2/Candy, you bring up an excellent point on high ceilings and the opportunities to do fun and/or different things with lightings, ceilings, etc. Below is one very special lighting fixture that we saw that was unique in using glass wine bottles. Plus, also here below are some other different looks, creative styles from this part of South Africa.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 137,523 views for this posting.

From the Grande Provence location where we stopped for tea and to see their very nice indoor and outdoor art displays, this was one of their unique lighting fixtures. Very creative use of glass wine bottles!!:

Africa2016PixsC46_zpsxhnjytqs.jpg

At Delaire Graff, first is one of their large open interior areas with special ceiling design/treatment, plus a second picture from here showing an example for their many art pieces displayed.:

Africa2016PixsC48_zpskvj6gpb4.jpg

Africa2016PixsC49_zpsuuo8j0bl.jpg

This Grande Roche dining area is more traditional in its look and lighting. BUT, it's classy, especially with my wife there and this art piece.:

Africa2016PixsC45_zpsaeavnsil.jpg

In the winelands area, here at their "Thirsty Scarecrow" retail/dining/drinking location, they have this collection of very different metal art work on display outside. Very cool and quirky??:

Africa2016PixsC47_zpsn5s5mowo.jpg

Did we have any evening fun and night excitement in Cape Town? Earlier, there were a few short items and visuals, but here is much more to prove that we had some samplings for this type of evening adventure. Below are three of my night pictures from the V&A Waterfront area. Plus, some from a Saturday night dining location/treat. Next, will be more from Gold and their African music/food samplings.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 195,400 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Cape Town's V&A Waterfront has lots of great options, both during the day AND in the evenings!! This large shopping mall is vast with its many offerings. Plus, lots of dining locations and other activities!! Below are three of my visuals from there during one of our evenings there. Things are enhanced with their interesting lighting, architectural designs and varied activities there.:

Africa2016PixsC54_zpsfukf4u3m.jpg

Africa2016PixsC53_zpsadgzxwgg.jpg

Africa2016PixsC56_zpsfuayrwhi.jpg

Dinner on Saturday night? It was Belthazar!! One of their focuses is for wine-lovers. They are billed as having the largest wine bar in the world. They call themselves as "a veritable theatre of fine food and wine on the cutting-edge of 'shoppertainment'." This dining place gains top ratings and is tied with the award-winning Balducci's. Their sommeliers serve up to 250 of the Cape's wines by the glass. They have a wine-list of up to 600 wines. We both had the cold-water South African rock lobster with three different sauces served. Very good and tasty. Not cheap! Dessert? It was a peppermint and caramel treat that is a tradition for many in South Africa. This location has both outside patio dining, plus their interior area. Like? Their website is: http://www.belthazar.co.za.:

Africa2016PixsC61_zpsi4crwrfl.jpg

Africa2016PixsC59_zps8e6thcde.jpg

Africa2016PixsC60_zpszxsplkvu.jpg

For Sunday evening in Cape Town, we visited GOLD. It is a different/unique African restaurant in the heart of Cape Town with set 14-course Cape Malay and African menu. They call it "a taste safari that will transport you from Table Mountain to Timbuktu." This culinary experience is accompanied by interactive traditional entertainment. Below are some visuals to illustrate this fun experience with exciting drums, music, singing, dancing, etc.

Was this somewhat of a "touristy" location/activity? Sure, but it was fun and interesting, too!! We liked it as another way to sample and experience certain elements of Africa culture, heritage, food, etc. One item that I especially liked was their "Cape Malay Seafood Curry". Nobody left without being filled up and having sampled lots of variety.

Their website is:

http://www.goldrestaurant.co.za

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 209,663 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

First, here is how my wife was greeted as we arrived and got ready to enter GOLD. Next are a variety of different visuals that I captured to reflect their music, dancing, songs, performing, etc.! Yes, this was fun and interesting! The performers had excellent energy and worked hard to bring out the best during these various songs and dances.:

Africa2016PixsC57_zpsi8wcomzr.jpg

Africa2016PixsC55_zps5ztzemep.jpg

Africa2016PixsC58_zpslc07m9wp.jpg

Africa2016PixsC51_zpsxht5ozxr.jpg

Africa2016PixsC52_zpsdhamlv3i.jpg

Africa2016PixsC50_zpsjmrrs8zx.jpg

Edited by TLCOhio

Loved Belthazar so much that we went back a second time. Great wine list, excellent steaks... But I thought their prices were pretty reasonable!

We are definitely looking forward to a return visit when we're there in October. Two of our traveling companions, who have been to CPT previously, also know this place. They are as excited as we are to dine there again, especially with the exchange rate as favorable as it is. :)

Terry, just to clarify our visit to E. Africa, we will not be staying on the coast. Have been to the center of Nairobi many times this time we start at the Hemingway Hotel just outside of NOB and then a couple of nights at the Giraffe Manor....look them up. And then onward to the Mara and to Tanzania and we will end up in Zimbabwe at the Putoshama Camp absolutely magnificent as we have stayed there before.

The large cites are targets but we will not be staying in those cities and I Highly doubt they will be going through the bush to capture people. The same can be said for Botwana. Cape Town absolutely could be a target of terrorist activity or any large city for that matter.

Just like the beautiful places you visited, security is 24/7. I hope you will visit E. Africa someday.....you will love it.

Loved Belthazar so much that we went back a second time. Great wine list, excellent steaks... But I thought their prices were pretty reasonable! We are definitely looking forward to a return visit when we're there in October. Two of our traveling companions, who have been to CPT previously, also know this place. They are as excited as we are to dine there again, especially with the exchange rate as favorable as it is.

Suite Travels: Terry' date=' just to clarify our visit to E. Africa, we will not be staying on the coast. Have been to the center of Nairobi many times this time we start at the Hemingway Hotel just outside of NOB and then a couple of nights at the Giraffe Manor....look them up. And then onward to the Mara and to Tanzania and we will end up in Zimbabwe at the Putoshama Camp absolutely magnificent as we have stayed there before. The large cites are targets but we will not be staying in those cities and I Highly doubt they will be going through the bush to capture people. The same can be said for Botwana. [b']Cape Town absolutely could be a target of terrorist activity[/b] or any large city for that matter. Just like the beautiful places you visited, security is 24/7. I hope you will visit E. Africa someday.....you will love it.

liptastic: Terry' date=' wonderful photographs again. The scenery is spectacular, and you always seem to [b']capture the atmosphere and personal aspect [/b]of the local area. Thanks again, Jean.

Yes, much credit goes to J.P for his strong encouragement for us to dine at Balthazar. It worked out very well!! We had the rock lobster tail, which can be more costly if you get a large-sized piece, as I did. Still, things in Cape Town are more affordable given the current currency exchange rate. As of today, one dollar equals 15.92 South Africa rand. That's down from a little over 16 rand when were there. Still, things on the exchange rate are much better than about a year ago when a dollar only got 11-12 rand.

Very good points by Suite Travels on the safety differences for being in the more remote, rural camps, versus some of the larger and/or more coastal cities. Do hope to do more in Africa, including for Kenya, etc.

Jean is very nice and kind with those comments. Getting the "atmosphere and personal aspect" are important goals for me. The average "post card" view for a picture is OK, but having people involved makes things more interesting.

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 36,640 views for these postings.

Here are three other visuals from Cape Town, including this view of the President's residence near the national parliament building, this statue of Queen Victoria in front of their parliament and finally several statues and art pieces at the top part of their Company's Gardens near their main museums.:

Africa2016PixsC64_zpskzoxmsfd.jpg

Africa2016PixsC63_zpsfratsv2c.jpg

Africa2016PixsC66_zpssjgvv0go.jpg

In Cape Town, here is a view of their original, historic fortress near their central business district, a pretty flower in the Company's Gardens and a scene at a nearby beach/shore/residential area. Lots of variety in and around Cape Town. Not a small or boring location!!:

Africa2016PixsC62_zpsdwxtkvsc.jpg

Africa2016PixsC65_zpsbfxtgbve.jpg

Africa2016PixsC67_zpsmv8qgerc.jpg

On this live/blog, nobody has really asked, yet, any questions for the honest, detailed "secrets" in putting together, researching and planning to do such a trip to Africa. A couple of friends who read through the live/blog, however, did ask me to provide more insights and specifics regarding these "details".

First, to do Africa, visit four countries, be gone four weeks, have nine days of private safari experiences, etc., you do not just jump on an airplane and "do it". It is much more complex and challenging!!! Much was done by me in talking with others who have done Africa, plus other research and reading. AND, now the rest of the story!!

YES, on these Cruise Critic boards over time, many questions have come up on travel agents, their need/value, the future for that profession, etc. Unfortunately, we cannot name or suggest here any specific agent here on the CC boards. BUT, I just wanted to offer a shout-out for the value and worth of really good travel agents!!! Clearly some agents are just "order-takers" at the end of an 800 number. That's OK. They are nice enough!! Things, in some cases today, are easy to just do it yourself via the Internet and/or phones.

But, there is, however, not much "value-added" by that process or this more narrowly-limited type of "agent". Most of those kind of agents have never visited those parts of the distant world, been on these types of luxury ships, even can find Mozambique on a map, etc. Sorry to be so blunt!!

We have worked with our travel agent since 2006 and she is so important because of her vast personal travel experiences around the world, being honest, blunt and candid for options being considered, etc. Two years ago for our Australia-NZ adventure, she had been there 25+ times and had so many, many keen insights that were very valuable. Personally, I like to do lots of reading and research myself. I do not do everything that Fran suggests, but it is all part of the "total information picture" in planning, preparing and evaluating your many options/potentials.

The best circumstance of all world is . . . an excellent/knowing agent AND an involved, interested customer. Ideally, you have both. In most cases, if you book it yourself and/or go through a cruise line staffer, you are going to be paying the same amount for the cruise. Why not, if possible to have a smart and savvy travel agent, enjoy those extra benefits and gain so much more for the needed insights about where you are visiting, destination options, etc. Finally, when or if you have a "problem" and challenge during the pre-travel period, it is good to have a strong advocate to push and argue on your behalf. Of course, getting an excellent travel agent is not always that easy. There are some added secrets that I can suggest, later, if it is of added interest.

Back to Africa, it is important to have, also, a specialized travel supplier. In this case, Swain, that we used to be working with and having a "relationship" with the smaller camps in areas such as Botswana to make the schedules, do the logistics between camps, fit and work all of the pieces together, etc. In areas such as Botswana, you are dealing with an area of the world where there are NOT large Marriott hotels with 200+ rooms available. Most of these Botswana camps have only 10-14 rooms there at each location. And, you need to be flown in smaller, single-engine planes between the various camps that cannot be reached by roads during certain periods of the year. Again, no Marriott or Hilton available, no Interstate highways, etc. You need "help" from people who know these unique areas and how things actually work, connect, etc.

We are very glad that we did not try to put "IT" all together on our own. If you have not been there, you do not even know the right and/or best questions to ask for considering the large number of varied options in Africa. Let alone being able to get the correct information and make the "flow" work properly. This does not mean that these are "bad" areas, it is just that things there in certain parts of Africa are different in their structure compared to what we might be used to doing in the USA and/or Europe.

The bottom line is that it is of high value to be working with an agent who know personally the territory, plus suppliers with reliable, proven "connections" for there on the ground in Africa. You need that expertise in planning so that your trip flows properly and works with the right pace. Plus, having contacts in Africa who are available if any problems or questions pop up. Or, as an example, to provide basic help to navigate a massive and confusing airport such as Johannesburg, get our extra luggage storage challenge solved, find the ATM machine, etc.

As another example, we debated the pro's and con's for how much time to be in Cape Town. For us, the five days worked perfect there. If you only had two days in Cape Town prior to a cruise from there, it would have been too short and not allowed enough time/cushion after nearly two days to fly from the USA to South Africa.

FINALLY, when going this far to southern Africa, you want to get value out of doing more than just a cruise there. Doing Cape Town prior and Victoria Falls and Botswana after the cruise was a perfect mix to provide an excellent variety of sights, sites and exciting experiences.

Let me know any questions, reactions, your experiences, etc.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 137,684 views for this posting.

Elephants in Botswana and South Africa? We fortunately saw lots and LOTS of them in both countries. They were very easy to experience in both countries at every location where we did safaris. Especially compared to harder-to-find lions, leopards, etc., the elephants seemed to be very plentiful and common. Of course, given the size of the elephant, these large mammals are much easier to find and spot.

BUT, media coverage has seemed to indicate that the African elephants are under huge threat. From the London/UK Guardian in March 2015, they had this AFP wire story with this headline: "African elephants could be extinct in wild within decades, experts say".

Here are some of the story highlights: "African elephants could be extinct in the wild within a few decades, experts have warned at a major conservation summit in Botswana that has highlighted an alarming decline in numbers due to poaching for ivory. 'This species could be extinct in our lifetime, within one or two decades, if the current trend continues,' Dune Ives, senior researcher at Vulcan, a philanthropic organisation run by US billionaire Paul Allen, said. The International Union for the Conservation of Nature reported that the African elephant population had dropped from 550,000 in 2006 to 470,000 in 2013. East Africa has seen the worst decline, from 150,000 to about 100,000. Elias Magosi, from the Botswanan environment ministry said 'The current killing rate is unsustainable and the population of African elephants is in danger.' Elephant hunting is often organised by international criminal networks to supply the illegal ivory market, mainly in Asia, with some profits thought to fund regional conflicts and militants."

Our sense/information from visiting there, talking with guides and experts is that Botswana has been a major leader to lessen significantly poachers in their nation. They have been pioneers in promoting "eccotourism". BUT, however, not all African nations have been in that position economically and in government leadership to be able to push that strong of animal protection. South Africa is also very interested in providing this protection. But South Africa has a population of 52 million (compared to only two million in Botswana). With South Africa's larger and more diverse population and more economic challenges, focusing on this protection is harder than what Botswana has been able and can do.

Certainly would hate to see these elephants disappear. They are amazing to observe so personal and close as they do their daily lives. Yes, these elephants eat lots and lots of grass. PLUS, poop and pee big time!!

Full story at:

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/mar/24/african-elephants-could-be-extinct-in-wild-within-decades-say-experts

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 195,494 views.

Here are some additional and varied elephant visuals from our experiences in the Botswana Delta area. In the first picture, you can see how close my wife and another person were as they were using their iPhone/camera options to capture the images. Second, notice the very small baby elephant at the lower right side? Third shows these two elephants with their reflections in the water. Cute?:

Africa2016PixsC6%201_zpseso2qjfk.jpg

Africa2016PixsC5_zpsgbdiksl4.jpg

Africa2016PixsC6_zpsh98j5cgl.jpg

Ever seen this type of "twisted trunk" being demonstrated by an elephant? This elephant was tossing water, sand, dirt and grass up on his body to gain "heat relief". This is a way for the elephant to rest the trunk on one of the tusks. Second shows some caked mud on this elephant. Finally, in seeking to cool themselves on these hot days, this show their trunk getting a big bunch of that sandy soil tossed up, UP on their body. :

Africa2016PixsC4_zpstxi6vtsj.jpg

Africa2016PixsC2_zps5g1sigup.jpg

Africa2016PixsC3_zpsloksj4mg.jpg

Here are some varied and different views, angles on elephants and giraffes. Nature is fun and exciting to see "up close and personal". Hope you like this added "eye-candy" from Botswana.

For giraffes, they are the tallest living terrestrial animal and the largest ruminant. Its species name refers to its camel-like shape and its leopard-like coloring. Their chief distinguishing characteristics are extremely long neck and legs, plus antler-like horns on their heads and distinctive coat patterns. There are nine subspecies are distinguished by their coat patterns. Giraffes usually live in savannahs, grasslands and open woodlands. Their primary food is acacia leaves. They can browse at heights most other animals cannot reach. Giraffes are preyed on by lions. Giraffe calves are targeted by leopards, spotted hyenas and African wild dogs.

The giraffe's horn-like structures are called ossicones. These are formed from ossified cartilage, covered in skin and fused to the skull. Appearance is a guide to the sex or age of a giraffe. The ossicones of females and young are thin and display tufts of hair on top. By contrast, those of adult males end in knobs and tend to be bald on top.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 209,780 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Here are three more interesting elephant visuals. First shows how they use the end of their trunks to curl up tightly and grab a bunch of grass. Then it arrives at their mouth. Notice the caked mud on this elephant. Finally, another view of two elephants moving, including this hyper-cute and very small baby elephant!!:

Africa2016PixsC1%201_zpshevhqglg.jpg

Africa2016PixsC2%201_zpswflp6vww.jpg

Africa2016PixsC1_zpsfbih0nho.jpg

Here are some closer looks at giraffe heads, including one with a tongue being busy. Finally, you can see a bird hanging on the coat of this young giraffe with its tongue out.:

Africa2016PixsC4%201_zpsqyrzkjs6.jpg

Africa2016PixsC5%201_zpsyrfszcnn.jpg

Africa2016PixsC3%201_zpsukxtjwlp.jpg

From the London/UK Daily Mail travel section this morning, they have this headline: "Howzat for a view!... the Victoria Falls" with these highlights: "The Victoria Falls are out on their own. After more than 50 years travelling the world, none of the other natural miracles I have seen has hit me between the eyes as the Falls did. Beautiful, stark, frightening, mesmerising, powerful beyond belief, taking no prisoners, this wonder of nature’s engineering left me speechless, breathless, nervous and soaking wet. I am running out of adjectives and superlatives before I have even got to the start."

Here are some added highlights from this UK writer: "From the moment we arrived, the roar of the Falls was in our ears. This 360 feet sheer drop catapults two million gallons of water over the top every second of the day when at full throttle. The spray forms a rising white cloud, visible for miles. Before Dr David Livingstone discovered the Falls, they were called Mosi-oa-Tunya, ‘the smoke that thunders’. The sense of excitement at visiting the Falls was almost scary."

Yes, Victoria Falls was very amazing for us, too!! Below are some more visuals that I have not posted previously on this live/blog.

Full Victoria Falls, etc., story at:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-3500253/Howzat-view-Victoria-Falls-mean-not-Blowers-waterproof-poncho.html

If Venice is one of your future desires or past favorites, look at this earlier posting for many options and visual samples this city that is so great for "walking around", personally seeing its great history and architecture. This posting is now at 58,085 views.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

Here are four more of my visuals from our visit to Victoria Falls, including one with a couple using a selfie stick to capture this "moment" at this true "Wonder of the World". Notice double rainbows?:

Africa2016PixsC6_zps2pwipbhb.jpg

Africa2016PixsC3_zpsrv9jrdbw.jpg

Africa2016PixsC4_zpsliu4wpul.jpg

Africa2016PixsC5_zpsvi6rmkxh.jpg

This UK author stayed at and super praised the Royal Livingstone Hotel that he described as "another unexpected miracle with better than must-do status." Below is one more of my pictures from inside in their bar at this charming location where we had dinner, drinks, etc. The author was also sailing on the Zambezi River via the two-level boat called the "African Queen". We did that, too!! Fun!! Below is one of my hippo pictures from doing that same Zambezi River cruise at sunset.:

Africa2016PixsC1_zps3pexrqc6.jpg

Africa2016PixsC2_zpsyqz7sbfs.jpg

Appreciate those who have tuned in, commented, shared personal experiences, etc., regarding Africa. This live/blog is now over 10,000 views. Glad that there is interest in these unique areas of Africa. As a bonus, here are some more varied and different views from our trip to Botswana, South Africa, etc.

Don't be shy with any questions, info needs, etc.

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at this link. Have had over 30,942 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and dropped by.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

On lions, here is one picture with my wife shown in foreground while in our vehicle, to demonstrate how close we were in many cases to these varied animals in their natural, wild settings. And tongues? Here are two of my visuals giving you an idea as to what these lion tongues look like. Nice to get these type of lion views/experiences!!:

Africa2016PixsC8_zpshvhqy6cz.jpg

Africa2016PixsC10_zpsie5o13hg.jpg

Africa2016PixsC11_zpsdnw4ml0o.jpg

Different looks? First, here is a wildebeest, a type of antelope, that is having its baby down on its knees, in order to nurse. Second, here is a male knob-billed duck with its unique front, top of beak look to reflect its "manhood".:

Africa2016PixsC7_zpsjxakc1ad.jpg

Africa2016PixsC9_zpssq2eensd.jpg

Terry, all I can say, for your first Safari and hopefully not your last you did a FANTASTIC job sharing this with all of us. You gave some great advice to those who plan to visit...you need the assistance of a TA that knows Africa well and has actually been there many times. You just don't hop on a plane to do this. So many logistics go into this and planning is super important.

It is fun to do your research on camps and there are so many top rated ones your head will spin. Our first trip was planned with a very experienced agent and she has been to about every camp so it was tailored for us. First trip we were hooked.

Terry, I have a question. Did you ship your large bags home after your cruise or what did you do with them? Some people may want to do a safari post cruise or pre-cruise.

Fantastic pictures, Terry, keep them coming! So many magnificent and inspiring things are in the world, and you bring them into my living room. Thank you for sharing your time and efforts so generously.

Edited by Catlover54

Terry, all I can say, for your first Safari and hopefully not your last you did a FANTASTIC job sharing this with all of us. You gave some great advice to those who plan to visit...you need the assistance of a TA that knows Africa well and has actually been there many times. You just don't hop on a plane to do this. So many logistics go into this and planning is super important. It is fun to do your research on camps and there are so many top rated ones your head will spin. Our first trip was planned with a very experienced agent and she has been to about every camp so it was tailored for us. First trip we were hooked. Terry, I have a question. Did you ship your large bags home after your cruise or what did you do with them? Some people may want to do a safari post cruise or pre-cruise.

GalCruzer: Just went through this thread' date=' loved everything about it. Wonderful pictures of the Safaris, Victoria Falls and of course the food. Also [b']enjoyed seeing the actual streets and buildings[/b] and seeing things at night.

Catlover54: Fantastic pictures' date=' Terry, keep them coming! So many [b']magnificent and inspiring things are in the world[/b], and you bring them into my living room. Thank you for sharing your time and efforts so generously.

Appreciate these kind follow-up and comments. Suite Travels summarizes well for the need in having good, smart TA help when planning and doing these types of aggressive Africa adventures.

On the question of our luggage after our Cape Town and cruise activities, NO, we did not ship it back to the USA. We had four larger bags and we stored it at the Johannesburg airport before heading up to Victoria Falls and Botswana. That storage service is located in the basement/lower level in the middle of this large airport complex. It cost about $200 for these roughly nine days. No credit cards accepted. Not cheap! BUT, in doing safaris in places such as the Botswana Delta, you connect among the various remote camps via smaller, single-engine aircrafts that are very limited for your allowed total baggage weight and size. Our maximum amount of luggage on these various flights was limited to just 44 pounds for each person. No wheeled baggage, etc.! Soft-sided was best.

On pictures, for another thread, I tried to pick out some of my "best of the best" pictures. Below are the first six of those examples. These visuals had been posted earlier on this live/blog, but here they are group together to make things easier. In the next post, I will share six more. Which one do you like best?

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 138,040 views for this posting.

"BEST OF THE BEST" PHOTO HIGHLIGHTS:

For Cape Town where we enjoyed five and a half days prior to our cruise, here is one picture where I needed a little "help" to be "soaring like an eagle"! My secret? It's riding in a helicopter to travel around Cape Town, the nearby mountains, being south of the town, going along the beaches, over the Winelands, etc. Like the view? Table Mountain is clearly so dominate in the way it towers over Cape Town and the nearby areas, including the dramatic clouds rolling over the peaks. Recognize the Cape Town Stadium? Our pilot said it has a nickname down here and they call it the "Giant Toilet Bowl"!! Does kind of have that look!!:

Africa2016PixsC17_zpskp9jy6ua.jpg

When the park is called an “elephant park”, what would you expect there? Yes, elephants!! Here is one sample elephant visual to share from Addo Elephant Park near Port Elizabeth (or PE) along the South Africa Coast. Don’t you just love these baby elephants that are so super cute?:

Africa2016PixsC16_zpsrifjmtgz.jpg

While at Addo Elephant Park near Port Elizabeth, we saw several ostriches, including the adult male and female, both with very different colorations/coats. But, I also managed to get several shots of just of their three “babies”. This one view is a top favorite as the three heads are aligned in a special and very interesting angle. Agree that this one picture is a “super keeper”?:

Africa2016PixsC18_zpsppgigvnd.jpg

Here is a sampling from Hluhluwe–iMfolozi Game Reserve near Richards Bay, South Africa, during our two-day, overnight adventure at this location. First shows a dramatic and wind-blown example of a male Kudu right after sunrise. Second shows two types of monkeys lovingly check each other for mites. The third picture shows what it is like being surrounded by a herd of Cape Buffalo. Is this being close enough to get that "stare"? At this park location, we found out what was so “personal” for being with a large White Rhino and to see this male ring both spraying (peeing) over and over, plus pooping right near us. I will spare showing those details here. This park has been a world leader in saving the White Rhino.:

Africa2016PixsC14_zpspqexjnaz.jpg

Africa2016PixsC15_zpsppqkjkm4.jpg

Africa2016PixsC13_zps0qvz4x58.jpg

Here is the second group of my "best of the best" samples. I have a group of "top picks" that totals about 150 pictures for this four-week adventure, but then I narrowed the selections down to a top 15. Not easy to decide on these most favorite images. Among these twelve, are there any best favorites that I am missing? Or, should added to the "best of the best" grouping? Let me know any added feed-back.

What makes me like these visuals best? I most love pictures that reflect some "personality" for these animals and birds. Their eyes can make a big difference. As the saying goes, the eyes are the key or window that allows you to unlock the "heart and soul" for these creatures. Plus, different angles, touches where sun, wind, setting, etc., makes things more interesting and involving. Your reactions, likes?

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 195,715 views.

"BEST OF THE BEST" PHOTO HIGHLIGHTS, Part Two:

From South Africa's iSimangaliso Wetland Park near Richards Bay during our two-day, overnight adventure, we saw lots of hippos!! It was late in the afternoon, providing perfect light, as we sailed on a waterway near St. Lucia. Here is one example below for these fast and deadly hippos. They kill the most of all creatures in Africa. More to worry about hippos than lions, etc. This park is home to about 1,200 Nile Crocodiles and almost 800 Hippopotami per Wikipedia, plus lots of birds, etc.:

Africa2016PixsC12%201_zps6mbm1gni.jpg

Here is one example of the dramatic "Wonder of the World" called Victoria Falls. We observed this natural wonder from the Zambia side. Loved the rainbows, noise of the falls, etc.:

Africa2016PixsC11%201_zpsyciy6yio.jpg

Now to Botswana and this amazing region of the famed Okavango Delta that is described by some as "Africa's Last Eden"!! First are a couple of leopards enjoying their time in these open plains of the Delta. It's a mother and her older son. Second are a couple of baboons being "personal" with each other. Third is a red-billed hornbill that is a very different bird than what we would see in the midwestern USA. Fourth shows the eyes and face of this older male lion very "up close and personal"!:

Africa2016PixsC9%201_zpsjoocr5h2.jpg

Africa2016PixsC7%201_zpspkcjsigf.jpg

Africa2016PixsC8%201_zpsjkqjzge4.jpg

Africa2016PixsC10%201_zpsx50ax7kv.jpg

Africa2016PixsC10%201_zpsx50ax7kv.jpg

Fantastic photos Terry, glad you had an amazing trip. Particularly like this one of the King of the Jungle - this chap has been around the block a few times (look at the scars on its nose and muzzle area). Also, I thought it might have a pierced and studded upper-left ear; but no, those are just a line of bloated ticks! Finally, for those of you who have domestic cats, compare the shape of their eye pupils with that of this lion (and other wild big cats)...

Fantastic photos Terry, glad you had an amazing trip. Particularly like this one of the King of the Jungle - this chap has been around the block a few times (look at the scars on its nose and muzzle area). Also, I thought it might have a pierced and studded upper-left ear; but no, those are just a line of bloated ticks! Finally, for those of you who have domestic cats, compare the shape of their eye pupils with that of this lion (and other wild big cats)...

Appreciate the super sharp and smart eye and comments as wisely detailed by Zimbo. Yes, this older lion had some "experiences" from life, many battles, being in the wild, etc. That was one of the super great parts of our travels in South Africa and Botswana. We got to observe "things" . . . up close and personal, having had excellent guides who explained fully what we were seeing, why these facts/factors were so important, etc.

From The National, an English-language newspaper in the UAE yesterday, they have this headline: "Botswana: luxury safaris and wild landscapes" on a very detailed story about this unique area in southern Africa.

Here are some of their story highlights with this opening paragraph: "When Dr David Livingstone – the British explorer and medical missionary whose encounter with The New York Herald journalist Henry Stanley brought about the famous quote: 'Dr Livingstone, I presume?' – died in 1873, his heart was buried in what is now Zambia. It was said that he loved Africa so much that his heart belonged there. Even now, more than 140 years later, it is easy to understand why he felt this way."

This writer visited certain parts of the Botswana Delta region where we had explored. Here are a few more items that might be of interest from her writings: "Moremi is a 'Big 5' destination, renowned for its concentration of wildlife, and because hunting is banned in Botswana, the animals are not as fearful of humans, allowing visitors to get closer than would be possible in neighbouring countries. The first animal we spot is the ubiquitous impala, known as the McDonald’s of Africa because there are so many of them. Days in the delta start early so that we can catch the animals before the heat sets in. We’re woken each morning by a knock on the door. We have half an hour to get ready and then another half an hour to eat our breakfast before setting off on the game drive. Elephant’s teeth wear away as it ages and so elephants often venture into the water for grass as it is softer. A highlight of our time in Livingstone is visiting Victoria Falls – or Mosi-oa-Tunya in the local language, which means the “smoke that thunders”. "

Yes we saw lots of impala and most of the other animals mentioned. This is a nice summary story that brings back wonderful memories and is a good sampling for some of what we enjoyed last month. Or, a future traveler here in this part of Botswana could enjoy in the future.

Full story at:

http://www.thenational.ae/arts-life/ultratravel/botswana-luxury-safaris-and-wild-landscapes#full

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 209,949 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Wondering what shots you took before traveling to Africa. Did you take preventative medication for Malaria?

This above good question came from Cairn Mom on the Africa destination thread. Thought I would share it here. Yes, we did need to take the malaria meds due to our visits in the eastern parts of South Africa, Mozambique and Botswana. No problems for us in taking those pills.

In early 2015, we did the adventure of going a 1000 miles up the Amazon River and needed to get a series of shots in connected with that trip. Some of these shots from a year ago took care of certain needs when doing this Africa trip. Without doing this Brazil trip, we might have needed to do more for this 2016 Africa trip. When going to parts of Africa, you will need to consult with an experienced travel med service that knows and can check the details for what countries need what types of shots, meds, etc. Some of these countries such as South Africa and Botswana are very large and the exact requirements will vary and depend on which specific regions of these territories that you will be actually visiting. Does this help? Need more info?

From the London/UK Independent newspaper late last month, they have this headline: "Cape Town travel tips: Where to go and what to see in 48 hours". In the sub-hard they note: "With sterling strong against the South African rand, this is a great time to visit".

Here are some of the story highlights: "Economic turmoil in South Africa has made something of a basket case of the rand – you currently get twice the ZAR for your pound than you did 10 years ago. Cape Town sprawls – largely because of the immense Table Mountain that sits at its centre. The Atlantic coastal resort spots of Camps Bay et al on the west side of Lion's Head feel like they belong to a different town – but are just minutes away from Green Point and the V&A Waterfront. Be cautious when walking around areas away from the Waterfront after dark – Cape Town is much safer than it used to be, but common sense should prevail."

There are lots of ideas and options to consider for when visiting Cape Town. Among their suggestions are: "Every visitor to Cape Town should feel duty-bound to sail to Robben Island to see where Nelson Mandela was imprisoned for nearly two decades. Kirstenbosch is one of the most beautiful botanical gardens in the world." There are number of pictures with this media profile.

Full story at:

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/48-hours-in/cape-town-travel-tips-where-to-go-and-what-to-see-in-48-hours-a6897581.html

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 195,832 views.

• 4 weeks later...