How we survived being trapped on a Cruise Ship for 18 days

tourismtessy

For those of you unsure about taking a cruise with lots of sea days, I present my view. Our favorite cruise so far was this Transatlantic from Venice to Fort Lauderdale. I shared some of the highlights in my blog post: http://www.joyfuljourneyist.com/blog/help-how-we-survived-18-days-trapped-on-a-cruise-ship

I hope you understand my humor as you read the post. I spend hours perusing Cruise Critic before and after booking our cruises. Hope to share some info and give back to this wonderful community.

Our last cruise was a longer one, 34 days.

Had 20 sea days, five was the most in one go.

Loved it, but then I think I'd be fine with a cruise that just saile round and round at sea, whilst there are places I'd love to visit most are out of the question for the foreseeable future and done most of the local ports so to us the ship is the destination a lot of the time.

We were amongst those that were worried about feeling trapped before our first cruise, so chose carefully, one that was in Port most of the days, ports we wanted to go to, only one sea day at a time, only 8 days. All that sort of thing.

Didn't that attitude change.

thanks for sharing! one of the benefits of retirement is we can now finally do at least one transatlantic a year…we really enjoy the route you guys took... one follow up question for you….How did you enjoy your 5 hours in Paris?….although we spend a lot of time in France, we gladly endure the long "paris on your own " bus trip from Laharve off the ship.

Edited by tml1230

For those of you unsure about taking a cruise with lots of sea days, I present my view. Our favorite cruise so far was this Transatlantic from Venice to Fort Lauderdale. I shared some of the highlights in my blog post: http://www.joyfuljourneyist.com/blog/help-how-we-survived-18-days-trapped-on-a-cruise-ship

I hope you understand my humor as you read the post. I spend hours perusing Cruise Critic before and after booking our cruises. Hope to share some info and give back to this wonderful community.

Survival! your still a cruise virgin for an 18 day cruise! My first cruise was more than double that figure and these days with long cruises being more common the 18 day ones score as just average!

I got to the first paragraph of your blog and this comment stuck out at me:

However, the perceived cost of the beer on the ship is what keeps them from going. What they don't realize is that some cruise lines allow you to bring your own beer onboard. This solves their only problem with cruising. They have created a reason for not doing something based on heresy and not fact.

I'm not aware of any cruise line that allows you to bring beer. We mostly stick with Princess and Carnival and bringing beer on board is not allowed. However, Princess has a happy hour and passengers are known to buy several beers and purchase the same amount for $1 a bottle. They take the beers back to their cabins and drink it there. They can pretty well stock up on beers that way - for cheap too.

We love sea days and will be planning a cruise to the South Pacific later this year.

My condolences;), I'm sure you had a "terrible" time.:D. I'm so glad you survived.

I'm another one that thoroughly enjoys sea days.

My longest trip was 15 days from FLL to SFO through the Panama Canal. To see one of the man-made wonders of the world was pretty awe enspiring.

Sea days are blissfully restful. A favorite activity is get some books from the library and find a good place to sit and read with the warm breezes floating past. Activities that can be joined or not and quiet chats with wonderful people we meet and to be pampered with beds made, meals cooked and dancing or listening to music.

Very interesting thread. I love sea days. I was on the South Pacific cruise that was 28 days and ended with 8 sea days. The time flew by and they made us get off the ship.

Now I'm trapped on land and must read CC everyday and dream of my next cruise with sea days.

I wish there was a transport cruise with no stops that went from the West coast to New Zealand. Just sea days and no plane ride.

Smooth sailing

4boysnana

However, Princess has a happy hour and passengers are known to buy several beers and purchase the same amount for $1 a bottle. They take the beers back to their cabins and drink it there. They can pretty well stock up on beers that way - for cheap too.

Is that still true today? $1 happy hours beer?

Love the blog post btw and I too like days at sea. In fact what I dread the most is a number of port/tender days lined up in a row... absolute nightmare. :)

We love port days so we can enjoy an empty ship.

Hahaha...you were reading my mind! :D As much as I love sea days, those empty ships on port days are even better! In fact, on our trip to Alaska on the Solstice last year DH and I didn't even get off the ship (we've done that trip many times previously). Same for our Eclipse Caribbean cruise a couple of years ago. Those two cruises were so relaxing--pure bliss!

Like your review. Thank you for posting. I am glad you had a good time. DH and I ALWAYS have a good time, too.

After we retire, we will try being "trapped" on a cruise ship for a transatlantic. Until then, ... we have to make due with shorter cruises that we can squeeze in around our inconvenient work schedules.

Ohiodoglover

Is that still true today? $1 happy hours beer?

Love the blog post btw and I too like days at sea. In fact what I dread the most is a number of port/tender days lined up in a row... absolute nightmare. :)

It's a buy 1 at regular price, get a 2nd one for $1 deal.