Live...mostly...from Anthem

KarinaGW

Weather.com is not showing any stormy weather in/around FL/JAX. I live two hours north of JAX snd we have absolutely nothing on our radar.

And as an aside...Back in 2009 when Oasis made her TA from the shipyard, she encountered 60 ft seas and was a day or two late into FLL with damage. I believe some inaugural festivities had to be postponed...EM

I live in JAX and it's BEAUTIFUL outside today, albeit, a little chilly.

Helaine

30FEDE4400000578-3437209-image-a-19_1454940449722.jpg

30FEDE4000000578-3437209-image-a-22_1454940564889.jpg

cruiseshipgalley-260x174.jpg

What a mess!

Hope no one was injured

The top picture actually looks like standard protocol for helping to prevent MORE DAMAGE. That looks like the tables and chairs were intentionally put on their sides and pushed together to prevent them from falling and moving more than necessary.

Exhibit A...

Where exactly would you suggest they "fly you all home" from? There is a storm that looks like it could be like what you just survived between you and Port Canaveral. There are not that many places big enough to port a ship the size of Anthem. Do you want them to lift everyone off by helicopter?

I agree, they cannot easily dock just anywhere but I do sympathize with the poster in not wanting to sail all the way back after what they have just experienced. Hopefully they will get home without any further incident.

My husband's undergraduate degree is in meteorology, and he works for a company that does corporate aviation and marine (mostly off-shore drilling) forecasting. He's an avid storm watcher, and he was shocked when I told him about the wind and wave conditions the Anthem was hit with. It was well known that this storm was out there, but the NWS forecast was for MUCH less severe conditions.

According to these meteorologists iAnthem should have not been out there.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2016/02/08/4000-passenger-cruise-ship-inexplicably-sails-into-atlantic-mega-storm/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The top picture actually looks like standard protocol for helping to prevent MORE DAMAGE. That looks like the tables and chairs were intentionally put on their sides and pushed together to prevent them from falling and moving more than necessary.

That is exactly what I thought when I saw that picture too. If those tables and chairs had been tossed around by the storm, they wouldn't be in nice straight rows.

Glad that everyone is OK on the ship. The roughest seas we've ever experienced were off the coast of the Carolinas on Holland America's Maasdam. We were on a Christmas cruise from Norfolk, Virginia, to the Caribbean and back. The rough weather hit us on the way back--50-knot winds and 30-foot seas. The Maasdam is about a third of the size of the Anthem of the Seas.

These poor passengers. I am in NY and we have the storm here now that they just sailed through. Thankfully the wind is nothing like those onboard experienced.

I think no one should be second guessing the Captain and RCCL. They would never knowingly put 5,000 passengers in harms way.

And some of the descriptions of the listing, I totally get. We were on Freedom of the Seas and got caught in wind during a tropical storm. I woke up rolling off the bed and watching everything flying off the desks and shelves and the luggage in the hallway falling down. I was terrified and woke up my husband saying the ship was going to tip over. He was in the Navy, woke up and said "it's a 5 degree roll, go back to sleep".

The Captain came on the loudspeakers after he righted the ship, said we got caught on the wind and took a 5 degree roll. So what Seemed to me for sure to be at least 45 degrees was far from it.

Glad everyone is safe but the news is still reporting the ship is going to Florida. Thanks to all who are updating us and glad you are all safe. You'll have a cruise to talk about for the rest of your lives.

But we should stop being Mondsy morning quarterbacks and not second guess what has happened on board.

you monday morning quarterback's should stick to second guessing the panther's playcalling.

You have no idea what information the ship had on this system.

Believe it or not- some storms are unavoidable. Also, sometimes conditions change. Sometimes it is for the better, and sometimes they deteriorate. If they were given information about the storm and it predicted 50 knot winds and they intensified, that is not the fault of the captain.

Sure- you may be d+members or whatever but you're not a master mariner with years at sea nor do you have the same information they had.

Before you call for the captain to walk the plank perhaps you should know all the facts.

very well said ...

Return trip to Bayonne may be dicey as well. It's a ridiculously active weather pattern along the east coast right now with storm after storm forming somewhere along the coast every 12 or so hours it seems. Tough situation all the way around. I feel for everyone on board.

This is only my opinion and in no way is it meant to contradict anyone who has posted previously. As to the path of the storm, yes it was forecast days ago and yes it followed the path however...

Up here, north of Boston, we have seen many storms shift their path long before they get to us. This is one in particular. This shift however is not a large shift but for us it makes all the difference in the world. Saturday night we went to bed thinking we were only getting 1-3 inches. We woke up Sunday morning with a report of 6-9 inches and potential blizzard conditions on Cape Cod. That is only about a 50 mile shift in the storm that was more than 24 hours away from us. At the speed it was traveling, that was more than 600 miles away and it resulted in a 50 mile shift inland (or less).

Anthem was closer to the storm than we were overnight Saturday and when the storm shifted, that would have given them far less time to do anything about it.

Many have said the ship should not have left because of the storm. I am sure that if the reports indicated that the winds were going to be more than the ship was designed for, and the wave action was going to be more than the ship was designed for, Anthem would not have sailed.

For most of us following this thread, we are on land and many assumptions have been made. You all have a right to those assumptions and I will not sit in the warmth of my home and say anyone was wrong in their opinion. All I am asking is that we can agree that for whatever reason the ship ended up in the storm that it just went through, the Captain and his crew did a remarkable job in getting the ship and passengers through it and let's wait to hear what those on the ship say about what went on. There are over 5000 witnesses to the event. They will have far more information than any of us on land will ever have about this one specific event.

I am so thankful that everyone has made it through this ordeal and I am anxious to hear their stories.

I completely agree with this sensible post. I had stopped visiting these boards due to reading so many arguments between people, but I returned, hoping to read that passengers were okay. Thank you for such a refreshing post.

Edited by sea-cruise

According to these meteorologists iAnthem should have not been out there.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2016/02/08/4000-passenger-cruise-ship-inexplicably-sails-into-atlantic-mega-storm/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BOOM SHOCKA LOCKA!

Not ALL passengers are OK with the captain's decision to sail into a massive storm.... and meteorologists are baffled too!

How are the fingers today? You are the poster that got their fingers slammed in a door last night? If I got that wrong, I apologize, just wondering if medical was able to check out those digits.:)

I am - they are fine today, only one finger has a visible bruise. I lucked out in the grand scheme of things! :-)

So we turned around and are headed home. He's gonna try to balance between the storm we just went thru and the one that's behind us. Because they are too cheap to fly us all home. I am thankful for the refund and future credit but have to seriously question the decision to cruise back towards the storms.

Doing that, if you meant from a currently nearby port, would contravene the US Passenger Vessel Service Act of 1886 as your cruise would no be a closed loop one thus transporting passenger between two different US ports on a foreign flagged ship without calling on a distant or even any foreign port. the only possibility is doing so from San Juan, Puerto Rico as that US territory is currently exempt for this act but is the same two days away from Anthem's current postion.

I don't see the need to do this as Anthem isn't in harm's way anymore. :confused:

Edited by robtulipe

Exhibit A...

Where exactly would you suggest they "fly you all home" from? There is a storm that looks like it could be like what you just survived between you and Port Canaveral. There are not that many places big enough to port a ship the size of Anthem. Do you want them to lift everyone off by helicopter?

I was thinking the same thing.

I am - they are fine today, only one finger has a visible bruise. I lucked out in the grand scheme of things! :-)

That is great to hear! I hadn't seen you post yet so didn't know if your fingers were too damaged or if you were finally getting some rest. The storm that you guys went through is heading up here to MA so snowed in and reading cruise critic.:p

So we turned around and are headed home. He's gonna try to balance between the storm we just went thru and the one that's behind us. Because they are too cheap to fly us all home. I am thankful for the refund and future credit but have to seriously question the decision to cruise back towards the storms.

If they can't get into a port, how could they fly you home??

Watching the local news here in nyc...just came on that Anthem is turning around and heading back to NJ and the ride back will probably be rocky. We're getting snow and bad weather here over the next few days. Hang on folks...prayers to all of you onboard. Hopefully RC makes it up to you big time. Try to make the best of it. Hope all feel well onboard

Edited by Godiva830