messaging with wifi?

TupeloHoney

Slightly off topic. Can anyone help me install the app on Kindle Fire.

I just checked again to confirm that Princess has not recently created a Kindle Fire version of their Messenger app and they do not have it in the Fire's App Store.

My experience has been that despite using an Android system the Kindle Fire version is different. Going to Google Play on my Kindle Fire it says "You don't have any devices" so they still do not have a Kindle Fire version of the Princess@Sea Messenger app.

They are still updating that obsolete app..................... no need to direct your browser when using the app. Just click on the icon. We have used it without issue on at least a half dozen cruises in the last18 mos or so. There really is no need for this to complicated. Just be sure and have push notiffcations enabled.

Does it look like this?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=377231&d=1455840720

This Princess webpage shows images of the Princess@Sea functions including Messenger & how to download the Messenger app before the cruise:

http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/activities/princess-at-sea/

Edited by Astro Flyer

This Princess webpage shows images of the Princess@Sea functions including Messenger & how to download the Messenger app before the cruise:

You are quite correct. And the princess image shows the

messenger in a browser.

http://www.princess.com/images/learn/onboard/onboard_activities/princess-at-sea/Messenger.jpg

I think the poster who claims otherwise is mistaken.

• 1 month later...
Actually I have used it a lot and this is what princess says:

The new Princess Cruises Messenger App is now available on selected ships*!Key Messenger Features Include:-Free onboard messaging to other guests onboard-Push notifications on your device when you receive a message-Contacts incorporated for ease of messaging-Automatically connects to Princess@Sea once onboardNow you can instantly connect with other guests onboard during your cruise with Princess! No more walking the ship in search of friends or family. Whether its planning drinks after dinner, or just letting them know where you are, the Princess@Sea Messenger makes it easier to touch base with other guests onboard.The Messenger works seamlessly with Princess@Sea, our industry-leading, complimentary onboard mobile service that provides real time useful information on the ship events, activities, restaurants, ports and more!While the messenger service can be utilized without the app, downloading the app is recommended to take full advantage of the push notifications.The app can be downloaded for free prior to boarding. The purchase of an internet package may be necessary to download once onboard and at sea.

Seems pretty straight forward to me. It works. I'm sure your app works too.

As promised, we checked out the use of the messenger service and the app while onboard the Diamond Princess. The app does not give you anything, regardless of what the above webpage text says. We sent multiple messages both ways and found no difference in either sending or receiving. When accessing the service via the app, you get the exact same intranet page that you get if you simply just use the messenger service directly. There is no difference. (And unfortunately, you still do not get an audible notice of an incoming message.).

This whole internet/intranet thing confuses me! I was not aware of the Princess@Sea, but may have to try that out, at least between my husband and I while on board...

What is the best way for the folks who don't have the status for free internet to keep in touch with home?

Maybe this will help explain the difference. Think of the Intr-A-net as like having a router at home or office. You connect your phone, printer, computer, laptop, etc. to the router via WiFi using a username and password. You can print from your phone, tablet or computer using WiFi. Your home intranet allows your devices to "talk" to each other.

To receive/send emails, go to websites, etc., you use your home router to connect to the Internet.

On the ship, you use a WiFi connection to access the ship's internal communication system, their Intranet, using Princess@Sea. This allows you to send/receive messages with other passengers, check your onboard folio, look up dining times, see what activities and shows are scheduled, etc. This is all free without connecting to the Internet.

From the Princess@Sea screen, you can also log into the (paid) Internet to send/receive emails, go to FB, CruiseCritic, etc. It's an option on Princess@Sea.

To keep in touch with home, email via the paid Internet is probably the easiest. Depending on your cell carrier and plan, you can also text for a reasonable cost, again using the paid Internet. I think it's $.10/message to receive a text, $.50/message to send. Text messages tend to be longer than normal. :) If both sender and receiver have iPhones, turn on iMessage and messaging is free as you're using Apple's servers.

Don't forget to put your phone in Airplane mode and then turn WiFi on and off. Many apps download data in the background which can cost you a lot in international data. Also, I turn off Location Services as some apps automatically use GPS in the background.

The intranet (NOT internet) on board is what is used to message passengers on the ship through the Princess Messenger App. This is free.

However, Wifi on board is NOT free.

WIFI is used for both the internet and the intranet.

Use of the WIFI for the intranet is free.

Use of the WIFI for the internet is not free (except for Princess.com and sending Princess e-cards).

Edited by caribill

This will be our 2nd Princess cruise, so no free internet minutes. It seems like we received some kind of 1st day internet offer, but I can't remember how much it was or what it entailed. First day offer for Internet packages is for the same price as every other day, but with a bonus of 10% minutes. If you purchase a package on the Princess web site before a cruise, you get 20% extra minutes.

What is the best way for the folks who don't have the status for free internet to keep in touch with home?

Best way is:

a) Use Internet in ports where it can be low cost or free --or--

b) Bite the bullet and purchase a Princess Internet package.

I don't even know what a "push notification" is. Yeah, I know! DOH!!!

Can one of you savvy folks explain that term in simple enough language that a non-savvy person can understand?

This may help, pictures! (from an iPhone, don't have a Droid to play with)

Go to Settings. Find the "Notifications" setting.

7ca90e5ad6e9aeb9ea974cecb8e5c93d.jpg

Choose Messenger (in the Ms, not the Ps :)

73350165735dd2639f2f33a8243fcf7a.jpg

Turn 'em all ON (green).

2bc1ab70951cd6a27268356789d5e4ea.jpg

This allows you to be notified in real time when Princess "pushes" new info to you. Push is an active notification. The other kind, non-Push, is simply info that is passively waiting for you to go looking for it.

Edited by sminfiddle

I just checked again to confirm that Princess has not recently created a Kindle Fire version of their Messenger app and they do not have it in the Fire's App Store.

My experience has been that despite using an Android system the Kindle Fire version is different. Going to Google Play on my Kindle Fire it says "You don't have any devices" so they still do not have a Kindle Fire version of the Princess@Sea Messenger app.

You don't need any app to use the service. Just your web browser.

Once you are connected to the ships Intranet (on WiFi) just open your browser and type in the following

(name of ship).princess.com. Example Royal.Princess.com

We just got off the Royal and some of our family members hadn't downloaded the apps so we just did that. Worked like a charm.

The app does nothing more than redirect you to a web site.

Let me get this straight--you don't have to download the app to use the messaging function from Princess@Sea? I know from past experience that I can get the patter, etc. on my Kindle Fire with the wifi intranet. Since there is no app for Princess messaging available for the Kindle, can I still access it as long as I have Princess@Sea? We'll be on the Royal next month so will see what we can do with it.

Let me get this straight--you don't have to download the app to use the messaging function from Princess@Sea? I know from past experience that I can get the patter, etc. on my Kindle Fire with the wifi intranet. Since there is no app for Princess messaging available for the Kindle, can I still access it as long as I have Princess@Sea? We'll be on the Royal next month so will see what we can do with it.

Yes. 100% correct.

If your Kindle has a web browser you can completely access everything on the Princess app/Princess@Sea.

If you look in the pictures on this page you will see the web address being used in the browser. That's how it works. In the middle of the blue bar at the bottom of the page is the messaging icon. Just click on that to use the messenger.

You have to add your contacts manually using a specific number for each guest that they have to provide from their profile.

You can also access the internet if you have minutes. Just remember to logout!

You can also be signed in on more than one device at a time. I used it on my phone and ipad.

• 3 weeks later...

If your Kindle has a web browser you can completely access everything on the Princess app/Princess@Sea.

If you look in the pictures on this page you will see the web address being used in the browser. That's how it works. In the middle of the blue bar at the bottom of the page is the messaging icon. Just click on that to use the messenger.

You have to add your contacts manually using a specific number for each guest that they have to provide from their profile.

You can also be signed in on more than one device at a time. I used it on my phone and ipad.

You mention adding contacts manually. Is this their cabin number? My goal is to be able to contact passengers that we're sharing excursions with.. Thanks.

You mention adding contacts manually. Is this their cabin number? My goal is to be able to contact passengers that we're sharing excursions with.. Thanks.

No, it is not cabin number. It is a 7 character string. The other

user has to log into messenger, find it, and tell you -- for you to

be able to message them.

I have attached a screenshot.

(the screenshot looked alot better, before CC's upload trashed it)

PrincessMessenger_ID.jpg.e7aee38306073cd4e85e90559eb3110b.jpg

Edited by pablo222

Contact number is not a cabin number. Every passenger is assigned a contact number and you would need to get it from them first

I found these photos that might help you. On page 3 (or the third image down) it explains how to find your contact number. You have to get your family/friends number directly, in person, from them once they are also connected and on the Princess app webpage.

PrincessSea_0001_zps4qbsvtjl.jpg

PrincessSea_0002_zpsnqweclsn.jpg

PrincessSea_0003_zpstsaln1yr.jpg

PrincessSea_0004_zpsxdbnovji.jpg

Edited by pshaze

Pablo222,

Will this be real simple when we sign into Princess Messenger? But, it still sounds like we need a face to face to exchange the 7 character strings. I appreciate your help.

Irene

Irene -- for people who are cleared to the same credit card

(usually people in your cabin) you can search by name.

For other passengers, you have to ask them for their messenger ID.

Within messenger, you just go to contacts to find your ID.

There is a link on that page "How to find your messenger ID?"

which is the second screenshot below.

I have attached two screenshots.

http://s1268.photobucket.com/user/pablo_222/media/PrincessMessenger_ID_zpsmxsuii4p.png.html?sort=3&o=0

http://s1268.photobucket.com/user/pablo_222/media/Screenshot_2016-03-29-10-57-45_zpse9z3xtbo.png.html?sort=3&o=1

(I created a photobucket account, as I couldn't stand to look at the

images after I uploaded them to CC!)

Edited by pablo222

I lost 60 minutes of free internet (could have been worse!) by not realizing that just turning off my wifi would disconnect me. You HAVE to click on the Logout button to be sure you're disconnected, otherwise your device could do crazy things while you're sleeping, like update all your apps. I'm just glad I wasn't paying for minutes, or that could have been a VERY expensive lesson!