the patch

cj1976

I've been seasick before, going on a 7 day cruise tomorrow Dr. prescribed the patch and said to put it on the night before I cruise but I've read about side effects. Can I wait to see how I do on the ship or by then is it too late.

I've been seasick before, going on a 7 day cruise tomorrow Dr. prescribed the patch and said to put it on the night before I cruise but I've read about side effects. Can I wait to see how I do on the ship or by then is it too late.

It's not too late. However, you will most likely "lose" at least a day of your cruise by waiting to see if you really need it once onboard. That's because it needs a little time to "kick in" and help. If you have no problem with that - go for it.

Yes, there are side effects from the patch (sometimes quite severe for some people), but, generally, the most common side effect is dehydration. Just drink lots of water. Some people also complain of vision problems.

You can try the patch at home, before your cruise to see what, if any, side effects you may get, and it'll be a "safer" environment to do so. If there are no side effects for you, as you've reported getting seasick in the past, I'd suggest that you go ahead a use it.

I'd get it on the night before like the Dr says.

If you are worried about the side effects, and don't know how well the patch will treat your motion sickness, there is a way to vary the dosage, which can diminish the side effects.

The patch works by transferring the medication to your skin. Take a small, round band-aid, and place it behind your ear where you will place the patch. Then place the patch half on the band-aid and half on your skin. Only the portion touching your skin will transfer the medication, so diminishing the dose. The patches are good for 3 days or so, so you can vary the placement, putting more on the band-aid if you aren't sick but experiencing side effects, or putting more on your skin if its not helping your motion sickness.

Note, follow the package warning and do not cut the patch. This will immediately cause the medication to be transferred to your skin in a rush, and you will get some very strange side effects.

If you are worried about the side effects, and don't know how well the patch will treat your motion sickness, there is a way to vary the dosage, which can diminish the side effects.

The patch works by transferring the medication to your skin. Take a small, round band-aid, and place it behind your ear where you will place the patch. Then place the patch half on the band-aid and half on your skin. Only the portion touching your skin will transfer the medication, so diminishing the dose. The patches are good for 3 days or so, so you can vary the placement, putting more on the band-aid if you aren't sick but experiencing side effects, or putting more on your skin if its not helping your motion sickness.

Note, follow the package warning and do not cut the patch. This will immediately cause the medication to be transferred to your skin in a rush, and you will get some very strange side effects.

Thanks Chief, very useful info.:)

I get terrible car sickness and seasickness and have worn the patch dozens of times. We once had a TransAtlantic crossing where there were 25+ foot seas for 3 days and I had the best time with zero sickness whatsoever.

Yes, there are side effects, for me the worst was slightly blurry vision. I wouldn't say that I was drowsy, but if I sat quietly for several minutes I could doze off. To lessen the possibility of eye problems be very careful handling the patch and wash your hands well after applying it. Did you know that the prescription medication in the patch - scopolamine - is the medication your eye doctor uses to dilate your eyes? That's why people have problems with their vision, especially if they touch their eyes after touching the patch.

If you use the patch, put it on 6 hours before the ship sails - so the morning the cruise starts. If you put it on later while you're already feeling unwell it will take longer to have efficacy and you'll lose a day of your expensive cruise. I know this from personal experience. As another mentioned, DO NOT CUT THE PATCH. If you have a slight build, your doctor could prescribe you pills instead of the patch, but don't cut it.

Four cruises ago I decided to quit using the patch. For two cruises I had acupuncture (which worked very very well), but now I am taking half of a Bonine (meclizine) before bed each night and honestly, I feel fine on the ship. On our Christmas cruise it was really rough one night so I took an extra half a tablet and again felt good.

Hope all goes well for you and you have a really smooth sailing.

Edited by JanineM

Great information!!

I get terrible car sickness and seasickness and have worn the patch dozens of times. We once had a TransAtlantic crossing where there were 25+ foot seas for 3 days and I had the best time with zero sickness whatsoever.

Yes, there are side effects, for me the worst was slightly blurry vision. I wouldn't say that I was drowsy, but if I sat quietly for several minutes I could doze off. To lessen the possibility of eye problems be very careful handling the patch and wash your hands well after applying it. Did you know that the prescription medication in the patch - scopolamine - is the medication your eye doctor uses to dilate your eyes? That's why people have problems with their vision, especially if they touch their eyes after touching the patch.

If you use the patch, put it on 6 hours before the ship sails - so the morning the cruise starts. If you put it on later while you're already feeling unwell it will take longer to have efficacy and you'll lose a day of your expensive cruise. I know this from personal experience. As another mentioned, DO NOT CUT THE PATCH. If you have a slight build, your doctor could prescribe you pills instead of the patch, but don't cut it.

Four cruises ago I decided to quit using the patch. For two cruises I had acupuncture (which worked very very well), but now I am taking half of a Bonine (meclizine) before bed each night and honestly, I feel fine on the ship. On our Christmas cruise it was really rough one night so I took an extra half a tablet and again felt good.

Hope all goes well for you and you have a really smooth sailing.

I am going on my first cruise and also suffer from motion sickness. Won't be sailing until May so tried taking 1/2 Bonine tablet. It did make me drowsy. I'm thinking I might be able to take 1/4 of a tablet at each meal. Have you ever tried that? Just wondering if that would work.

Here are a few observations based on personal and DWs extensive experience. Regarding Bonine (Meclizine Hcl), this is the drug of choice for most cruise line physicians and is often sold (or given out free) on many cruise lines. The normal dose is a single pill every 24 hours. While DW does not have any problems with the drug, it does sometimes make me a bit drowsy. But since its a single pill (chewable) per day it makes sense to simply take it around bed time when it might even help you get a good night's sleep...and the possible drowsy side effect is minimized the following day :).

As to the "Patch" (Transderm Scop) it contains a very interesting drug (Scopolomine) which has so many potential side effects...they used to fill multiple paragraphs in the PDR (Physician's Desk Reference). At one time the manufacturer withdrew the patch from the market until they could better deal with how it meters the dose (how fast it is absorbed through the skin). We have a friend who used to work (for many years) as a cruise line physician on HAL. One evening, he entertained a large dinner table with his "tales of the patch" when he explained why he, and nearly all other cruise ship physicians, are not big fans of this drug dose system. Probably the most interesting story was of an elderly lady found wondering the corridors of a cruise ship....and she was totally nude. The lady was sleep walking,,,,and then suffered major hallucinations when they managed to wake her up. In the case of DW, she suffers a much more common side effect which is minor blurry vision (after about 2 days on the patch) which prevents her from being able to read her book. I once used the patch and the only side effect was a dry mouth. If you want some amusement you should read the details and history of this drug (Wikopedia has a decent page) which even has a history of being used as a "truth serum" and recreational hallucinogen.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I am going on my first cruise and also suffer from motion sickness. Won't be sailing until May so tried taking 1/2 Bonine tablet. It did make me drowsy. I'm thinking I might be able to take 1/4 of a tablet at each meal. Have you ever tried that? Just wondering if that would work.

Did you try 1/2 at night before bed? If I take it during the day then yes, it knocks me out, but I find that if I take it at night then I get the worst of the sleepiness out at night :)

I have taken it during the day and it made me sleepier, but we are all different! I guess I'd rather have sleepiness than feeling like throwing up ;)

Did you try 1/2 at night before bed? If I take it during the day then yes, it knocks me out, but I find that if I take it at night then I get the worst of the sleepiness out at night :)

I have taken it during the day and it made me sleepier, but we are all different! I guess I'd rather have sleepiness than feeling like throwing up ;)

delete delete

Edited by Hlitner

The patch affected my vision so badly that I could not make out any word on a single page.

The menus were a challenge!

That is the same reaction DW had to the patch (I only had dry mouth). But it is interesting to read the manufacturers own warnings:

http://www.transdermscop.com/transderm-scop-patient-information.htm

Hank

My dw experienced the hallucinations.

She woke me up because she was suiting up in bed petting and talking to our cat that had been dead for 2 years.

I was able to get her back down and asleep. About 2 hours later she was back at it. This time making breakfast plans with her brother. Her brother was not on the cruise with us.

My dw experienced the hallucinations.

She woke me up because she was suiting up in bed petting and talking to our cat that had been dead for 2 years.

I was able to get her back down and asleep. About 2 hours later she was back at it. This time making breakfast plans with her brother. Her brother was not on the cruise with us.

We have posted this tale before but will do it again :). A few years ago we became very friendly with a HAL ship physician and use to dine with him on a regular basis while on his ship. One night he entertained the entire table with stories related to the patch. His favorite was about an elderly lady passenger who was found wandering the corridors (outside the cabins) late at night. She happened to be completely nude! Turned out that she likely had a combination of sleep walking and hallucinations from the patch.

Hank

I started the patch a couple of days before we boarded per my drs orders. I didn't notice any side effects until after we boarded. My eyes started burning and felt really dry. Looked in the mirror, and they were blood red. I took the patch off and used Dramamine instead. My eyes cleared up after a couple of hours

They were as red as this

http://www.abestfashion.com/red-bloodshot-eyes-or-red-eyes/

Welcome to Cruise critic:D

There is no shame in wearing a patch, put it on before you board.Enjoy.

Due to medical problems, cruising is the most suitable holiday for us but, unfortunately, I seem to be getting more and more seasick :( I have tried various remedies, both on and off prescription, but they have not helped. For our January cruise my GP was happy to prescribe the patch - he had used it himself when helping crew his friend's boat across the channel. I was a bit worried about potential side effects but just had a dry mouth, which is pretty usual due to my other meds anyway. We had Force 9 seas for much of the trip but I did not experience any nausea, never mind vomiting :)

Edit - I meant to say that I did not avoid alcohol either (but would not encourage anyone else to ignore the warnings).

Edited by Slugsta

Have you ever considered using essential oils? That's what I use when I get any type of motion sickness. I suffer from vertigo and I use oils every day.

I can give you the recipe to make your own or you can also buy something called "Motion Eaze". It's all natural and has oils in it.

Edited by MomSwag