Mini Golf?

Is it just me, or is the mini golf kind of a head scratcher. In dozens of cruises, I have never personally played it, and I don't really recall often seeing it highly utilized. At best it's a pale imitation of the land-based versions. It takes up a good chunk of valuable deck real estate. Yet they keep putting it on new builds. Just kind of seems like they could find a better use for that space.

Who's with me?

You're right...it is sort of lame, not well maintained (although the salt and water spray can't be good for the "greens")...but it is an easy "something to do" when you get tired of sunning or reading or eating.....it doesn't require surfing or climbing skills, or long pants, or special shoes....

I say they should keep it!

Edited by cb at sea

Totally Agree.

I have always thought Mini golf is a waste of space on the ships.

Its not like people are having serious games or anything.

Pretty much after the 2nd hole you just want to be done.

I guess they have them because they can stick them up there, its cheap, and don't need anyone to attend or run it...

I agree that it is likely underutilized by most cruisers. We have used it on some ships more than others. Out Barcelona TA we had trouble getting a tee time. :rolleyes:

There were tournaments organized by the ship everyday.

I like that DH superior skill is neutralized by wind and the motion of the ocean. :eek:

We always play a few times, but only in port when there is no wind. We do like the Carnival courses better than the RCL ones, but we always enjoy it as a family. Now, it is definitely not used much, as we are often the only ones playing while in port. So, you make a good point that the space may be better utilized for something more popular (and hopefully not another extra cost activity).

We tried it once when we sailed with our kids. It was OK, but not worth doing again in our opinion. However, to the best of my knowledge, I rarely saw it empty.

Edited by Toddcan

Is it just me, or is the mini golf kind of a head scratcher. In dozens of cruises, I have never personally played it, and I don't really recall often seeing it highly utilized. At best it's a pale imitation of the land-based versions. It takes up a good chunk of valuable deck real estate. Yet they keep putting it on new builds. Just kind of seems like they could find a better use for that space.

Who's with me?

We use it at least once per cruise, unless we're on Oasis class. Don't like the golf balls on those ships.

Who's with me?

These aren't on Quantum class ships.

We do use these on ships that have them and my male friend, who we cruise often with, is very competitive and always enters all of the golf tournaments. I didn't miss not having this on Anthem last month as the bumper cars were much more fun in the multi use Seaplex. ;)

Edited by robtulipe

Bob, I played once on Allure and don't remember anything about the balls. What is unusual about them?

They are very light, almost like Nerf balls, and any breeze moves them around. I assume this is because they may fall over the side onto folks on the Boardwalk.

Played on Allure just a couple of weeks ago and they have regular golf balls--all the same color: yellow.

Made a hole in one too:D.

Maybe they finally changed them, or made people on the Boardwalk wear hard hats.;)

Many years since they have done that. How about skeet shooting?

Or fishing for fresh sushi off the aft?!! :p :p

We always enjoy a round or two on the little course. It's free and especially fun when it is really windy/rocking and rolling. Makes it so much more challenging! ;)

Taking up space? I see more people using the little mini golf course than the big area taken up by the basketball

court.

Edited by island lady