All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

I've been cooking quite a bit. It's challenging. In the beginning, like I said before...it was almost a game to see how far all my supplies could go...but then, I went out on a TP mission and the store I chose didn't have any come in that day (I was there for opening...it was like waiting for concert tickets to go on sale except that there was no organized line...just a bunch of people hanging out like dots on a domino waiting for the store to open)...I thought that I might as well get some groceries while I was there and that kind of wrecked the game. I usually get very tired of figuring out what we should eat all the time, so when the "game" ended and I was no longer just playing Chopped (I love that) with what I had on hand...I was just suddenly weary of the whole kitchen scene.

We managed to get through that though...and we only ate non-homemade food 3 times. That's pretty good for us! Four if you count the BOGO dozen from Krispy Kreme on Saturday. LOL.

I'm reading a book called The Organized Mind: Thinking Straight in the Age of Information Overload by Daniel J Levitin. I'm really enjoying reading all about this aspect of how the mind works. I think this will actually help me help DH too...he has a hard time letting go of work...thoughts creep in on him on the weekends and evenings, etc...and it frustrates him. I have now gained an basic understanding as to WHY that kind of thing happens and ways to cope with that.

It's a long book and I'm only in Chapter 4? After gaining this basic understanding about the relevant functionality of our minds, the book is now exploring how our homes, etc., can affect how well our mind works, both negatively and positively. I have learned that women can have a spike in cortisol when they look at clutter...men not so much. It was a simple sentence without any backup but a simple search shows that this is based on a study by UCLA. I think most of us are aware of all the negative effects repeated cortisol spikes have, especially with women...

This definitely motivates me to deal with our clutter even more than I was before! I'm reading here about so many of us that are taking this opportunity to deal with home organization...makes so much sense. Not only are we taking control of our environments and thus helping us feel like we are in control of SOMETHING in the midst of everything going on...but I think we are also doing something to literally help our brain.

On a different topic...I was in Target yesterday (yay TP!!) and I did take some time to look at some of the clothes around...OMG there so many good Earth colors out right now! So SAD! I've never seen so many good Earth colors in the Spring! Especially, there are great Earth colors in the activewear area too...some are probably Air too...but the point is that there is a huge selection at Target right now of muted colors. Not that I need any new clothes right now...

• Like 1

Melody , I love my air fryer . I use it at least once a week . It is great for fish,shrimp ,chicken , homemade potato wedges and reheating leftovers . I have a 6 quart and that is the size you need for two or three . 

I am working on my closet but doing it slowly . I decided no reason to rush .We are in for at least a month . 

• Like 1

We use our air fryer most weeks also.  I love it for sweet potato fries (jicama fries are good too if you need/want lower carb) and also makes really crispy tater tots and chicken patties.  My dad uses it for fish, chicken, and steak and prefers that chicken to the rotisserie he used to buy at the grocery store.

I'm heading to the grocery store this afternoon - thinking it will be less crowded than mornings.  We go through a lot of produce so I go each week.

Just finished my first Zoom session with Bible study and it was nice to see everyone's faces again.  Technology has come a long way, I didn't notice any lag time it really was like we were in a room together.

• Like 1

Are there any favorite brand suggestions or tips for using an air fryer from those of you who own one!  I had, at one time, thought briefly about buying one but not knowing much about how they work and just what features to look for, I didn’t pursue it, now I’m interested again.

Stay well everyone and TIA

Sharon

Mine is a Power Airfryer XL from Sam's Club.  I'm not positive when I got it, but at least before Christmas '18 (got a cookbook for it that year).  I would put it as good, not great: it works well for 2 or 3 of us, but small for 4; it takes up a lot of counter space; it cooks quickly 🙂 ; my dad has the same model and his is showing a lot of wear.

I'm thinking of researching the crisping pressure cookers and giving my dad mine to replace his - only want one counter stealer 😉 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sailor_Sally said:

My air fryer is a Gourmia . I got it a year and a half ago and it has been great .

Thanks, that was my next question. I had an Instant Pot & returned it, hated it. Melody 

I have a Breville toaster/convection/convention countertop oven. I absolutely LOVE it. When I took a look at air fryers...it seemed that had similar functions as my oven but for what I do, the oven works better in my kitchen. I can totally see how someone could use an air fryer a lot, especially if they use it to do things that I do in my oven. I use my oven daily, multiple times a day.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

I'd never heard of the cough pearls either.  It looks like they are prescription only, but I will still mention them to my sister to discuss with her doctor the next time she gets a severe cough (usually at least once per year).  Glad you both got some sleep.

I've been cooking all of our meals, tonight will be cheesy ham & potato soup.  I do want to support the local restaurants, but balancing that with being mindful of our own budget (and frankly preferring my own cooking most of the time).  Will probably plan take out a couple times this month: subs, wings (reheat well), maybe try the local Thai place.

How would you reheat Thai - oven/stovetop or just eat cold?  It's about 20 minutes away so it won't be warm until I get it home.

I tried to make potato soup. I did not do a good job of it.   If you like can you share how you make it.

Maria 

18 hours ago, awhfy said:

Thanks, that was my next question. I had an Instant Pot & returned it, hated it. Melody 

What didn't you like about the Insta Pot?  I haven't gotten a pressure cooker yet, but I know a lot of people who love them.  If I get another appliance I appreciate having feedback from real people - reviews I tend to average the good and bad 😉 

16 hours ago, Anita Latte said:

I have a Breville toaster/convection/convention countertop oven. I absolutely LOVE it. When I took a look at air fryers...it seemed that had similar functions as my oven but for what I do, the oven works better in my kitchen. I can totally see how someone could use an air fryer a lot, especially if they use it to do things that I do in my oven. I use my oven daily, multiple times a day.

I have a split convection oven (can do two things at different temps) and use the smaller top portion like a toaster oven often, but it doesn't seem to crisp quite as well as the air fryer.  I've heard good things about Breville, glad you like it 🙂 

13 hours ago, geocruiser said:

I tried to make potato soup. I did not do a good job of it.   If you like can you share how you make it.

Maria 

I ended up supporting the local Pizza shop last night as I was just not in the mood to cook after unloading the grocery haul 😮 Here is the recipe for a large batch, but you can easily half:

• 6 medium potatoes (any type works, but original recipe had red potatoes)
  • 4 cups water
  • 1 large onion
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • Crushed red pepper flakes
  • Ground black pepper
  • 6 cups milk
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 2 cups shredded cheddar
  • 2 cups cubed, cooked ham

Peel potatoes and cut into 1 inch cubes.  Cook in boiling water in large saucepan until tender. Drain, reserving 2 cups cooking liquid; set aside. Peel and finely chop onion.  Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat. Sweat onions in butter (but don't brown).  Add flour to make a roux, cook 3-4 minutes; season with spices to taste.  Gradually add potatoes, reserved liquid, milk, and sugar to onion mixture; stir well.  Add cheese and ham. Simmer over low heat 30 minutes.

I will often serve with biscuits or Naan bread, but is fine on its own.  We aren't gluten free, but it could likely be adjusted with cornstarch for the roux.  I find there is enough salt from the other ingredients that I don't salt the potato water, but you certainly could.  If I have ham bone broth I will use it in place or as part of the water.

If you like a bite to your potato, cook them until just barely tender since they will continue to cook some during the last 30 minutes.

The instant pot wasn’t anything like Id thought it would be. I don’t like pressure cookers (my mom had one explode on her when I was about 7...still remember that vividly...blew a hole in the kitchen ceiling). I love my crockpot & continue to use that all the time. 

my youngest granddaughter asked me to Zoom with her to show her how to make pasta fagiole. She said if she couldn’t eat mine for at least another month then she had to learn to make her own. I guess everyone will have pasta Fagiole tomorrow!  Les is happy, he loves it. She’ll get school credit for Lifestyle skills as well. 

Les is still on oxygen, trying to wean off. His pulse ox meter is helping him figure out when he drops low & what he’s doing. He just hates the oxygen tho, it’s making him grumpy 😢. If we can get the 02 company to bring him a portable oxygenator he’d be able to get off the deck into the yard. That’s my battle for today. 

everyone stay well. Melody

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pacruise804 said:

What didn't you like about the Insta Pot?  I haven't gotten a pressure cooker yet, but I know a lot of people who love them.  If I get another appliance I appreciate having feedback from real people - reviews I tend to average the good and bad 😉 

I have a split convection oven (can do two things at different temps) and use the smaller top portion like a toaster oven often, but it doesn't seem to crisp quite as well as the air fryer.  I've heard good things about Breville, glad you like it 🙂 

I ended up supporting the local Pizza shop last night as I was just not in the mood to cook after unloading the grocery haul 😮 Here is the recipe for a large batch, but you can easily half:

• 6 medium potatoes (any type works, but original recipe had red potatoes)
  • 4 cups water
  • 1 large onion
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • Crushed red pepper flakes
  • Ground black pepper
  • 6 cups milk
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 2 cups shredded cheddar
  • 2 cups cubed, cooked ham

Peel potatoes and cut into 1 inch cubes.  Cook in boiling water in large saucepan until tender. Drain, reserving 2 cups cooking liquid; set aside. Peel and finely chop onion.  Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat. Sweat onions in butter (but don't brown).  Add flour to make a roux, cook 3-4 minutes; season with spices to taste.  Gradually add potatoes, reserved liquid, milk, and sugar to onion mixture; stir well.  Add cheese and ham. Simmer over low heat 30 minutes.

I will often serve with biscuits or Naan bread, but is fine on its own.  We aren't gluten free, but it could likely be adjusted with cornstarch for the roux.  I find there is enough salt from the other ingredients that I don't salt the potato water, but you certainly could.  If I have ham bone broth I will use it in place or as part of the water.

If you like a bite to your potato, cook them until just barely tender since they will continue to cook some during the last 30 minutes.

Thank you so much.  What a great recipe.  Looks yummy!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

I've read that lack of crisp is the biggest difference between the air fryer and a convection oven. I wonder what people cook in their air fryer? I use the toaster function for breakfast sandwiches and bagels. I roast veggies A LOT...like A LOT. I've discovered that my family is all very partial to roast veg. DS has always been hypersensitive to texture...roast vegetables hit that sweet spot. Of course, potatoes, sweet potatoes, other roots like beetroot, Brussels sprouts, asparagus, etc etc. I rarely use the oven for meat. Meat is grilled more often than not, though I did broil some in NC where our living situation limited grilled access. My oven is big enough to be the second oven on big cooking events like Thanksgiving. The air fryer seems like it would have a limited capacity...and I guess I don't get what people use it for?

I don't think I do the kind of cooking that a pressure cooker would be good for either. It seems like all the food would be wet and mushy? What do you cook in a pressure cooker? I used to use my slow cooker a lot more...and I still use it occasionally. Mostly soup and a few braised meat dishes, but I've found that I end up precooking a lot of the food for such things in on the stove first...like onions, etc. and then add it to the slow cooker...unless I have a need to have food be able to hang around and "be ready"...I resent having to clean the slow cooker. It's a PITA LOL. 

Last night I made comfort pasta. A riff on a Cacio e Pepe type recipe and a pasta dish we had at Wolfgang Puck's Express in what used to be Downtown Disney. 1 half onion diced, 1 large glove of garlic, 3 pieces of bacon, 1 chicken breast, 1 cup of peas. BUTTER!! Tons of fresh ground pepper. Spaghetti pasta. Parmesan. Parmesan isn't the preferred cheese...it doesn't melt as nicely into a creamy sauce thing with the pasta water (look up the recipes) but it worked well enough to make a batch of seriously tasty feels special pasta. I'm mentioning here because a Cacio e Pepe pasta is so easy and fast.

Today's menu is Indian for lunch...making a broccoli based dish and a chickpea masala to serve over rice. Dinner will be tacos again. I made tacos two nights ago and we have some left over meat. I think we'll have breakfast tacos for dinner...let the eggs and potatoes stretch the little bit of meat left over...and of course, the homemade pico!

Melody...I'm so glad to hear how Les is improving. Have fun making pasta tonight! I kind of wish you could record your pasta making session...then we ALL could learn to make fagiole!

• Like 1

Melody, I think grumpiness is a good sign of healing - better than gloomy, depressed or resigned.  The cooking lesson sounds like a lot of fun.

I've done pressure canning, but never pressure cooking.  It looks like today's cookers are much safer and have a quick release option.  Pressure cooking is supposed to be good for quick cooking (like 1/4 - 1/2 of the time) and some are supposed to come with crisper options.  I've also heard they are very good for tough cuts of meat and making them tender (although if you have the time low temp oven/slow cooker works too).

Anita, I know people who swear by the crock pot liners for easy clean up.  I don't mind washing mine so I don't bother with the bags.

• Like 1

Hi every body,

Today I put a crook-pot on and I am making split pea soup.

Well, my adventure for the day.  I day or so ago I wanted a can of soda.  Put they were all warm.  I had no ice because I was waiting for a new water filter to come for the ice maker.  So, I put two cans  (now I know there were two) of diet Sunkist, in the freezer to chill fast.  I drank one, and forgot about the second can. I did replace the filter, so now I have ice.  I went to get some ice and press the ice dispenser and I got a piece of orange ice. So, I opened the freezer and the front of it was like a orange igloo.  The whole top of the can blue off.  It did clean up fast using hot water.

Maria

PS I am getting a pattern here?

• Haha 1

Maria, I’ve done that. What a PITA to clean up from the freezer

Anita, the pasta fagiole doesn’t involve paling the pasta...in fact the pasta is almost an afterthought in the recipe. The recipe is ridiculously easy

Crockpot Pasta Fagiole

use a very large crockpot, minimum size 6qt

1 lb ground meat (Hamburg or turkey)

1 box beef stock ( or 3 cans)

1 can (drained) red kidney beans

1 can (drained) white kidney ( or garbanzo) beans

2 large cans diced tomatoes (with juice)

1 20 oz jar of spaghetti sauce (any brand)

1 bag mini carrots diced

1 large stalk of celery diced

1 diced onion ( I don’t use the onion)

3 tablespoons oregano 

5 tablespoons parsley

1 tablespoon sugar

1 cup Ditalini pasta

cook all (except pasta) on low for 6-7 hours (on high for 5 hours)

I freeze half of this recipe before adding the pasta as the pasta doesn’t freeze well

last 30 minutes of cooking I add the 1 cup of Ditalini pasta

easy & so good. Melody

• Thanks 2

You all are cooking up a storm!  I'm still doing the same type of meal cooking each night, since I'm still working.  If anything, I'm trying to think of what I can cook faster that isn't processed because I go back to work from home after dinner.

I was thinking of trying stuffed peppers in my crockpot while I am at work during the week.  

I do not have an air fryer or an Instapot.  I have thought about both of them.  I'm kind of scared of using the Instapot, pretty much for the same reason Melody is.  In my case, it was my older cousin and she ended up getting burnt pretty bad.  I have been wondering though if this is a safer version than what we had years ago?

I can really see myself cooking a nice meal quickly with it.  throw something in there when I get home, go upstairs, change, bring down my laptop, start a little work, and voila!  

With the air fryer, I am wondering what to make in one of those since I really don't fry food to begin with.    One thing I have definitely heard is that they can take up a lot of space on the counter, but don't hold a lot.  

Any thoughts on these would be appreciated!

I got more painting done.  I should be able to finish up the rest of the doors this weekend.

Next weekend, I'll look at painting the laundry room.  The weekend after that, the upstairs bath.

This isn't going to go away as quickly as people think....just my opinion.  NYC is just under 2 weeks away from their apex, and in my area, it is a few weeks after that.  Some states are way behind.  I think that with places like NY and California, things will start to settle down, they will relax the rules a bit, and then we will get a second wave.

The bank is looking at a lot of different things.  We are beyond busy.   We are trying to figure out what to do.   Some things just can't be done remotely, but we are improvising.  

Stay safe, everyone, and keep cooking!!  I love to see what you are posting.

• Like 2

Laurie. My stuffed peppers are very easy. When I make spaghetti sauce I always freeze half of it. For stuffed peppers, I defrost the frozen sauce, add 2-3 cups of cooked rice & fill 4-6 peppers. Can be prepared ahead of time & refrigerated. Heat in oven for 45 minutes on 350, if everything is cold heat for 1 hour  Just enough time to have a nice glass of wine 

we woke up to this today, about 6” of snow, heavy wet stuff

FE27BA33-9DE7-4A38-ACCE-608C0F5692B2.jpeg

9304DCEB-AFDC-4A65-9F1C-9BC61E711129.jpeg

Laurie , Just curious but why are banks so busy ? It seems people are either really busy or trying to fight boredom.

I do not fry but I find the air fryer the best appliance for a lot of food .Just think of it as quicker cooking . You need to get a 6 quart one to have enough room for two or three people . I use it for almost everything that you would use a broiler or oven for that is a smaller amount . Baked Potatoes take 25 minutes and turn out fabulous . Salmon takes 10 minutes , Shrimp takes 8 minutes , chicken wings turn out great and are healthier .To me it is the best appliance for working women . My daughter has an instant pot and she likes that but she has always used a pressure cooker .

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for all the info on air fryers and instapots too. I’ll check out the brands mentioned  and decide if I will really use one after all.  I do use my crockpot although not nearly as much as when the kids were at home. Now days I too use it for soup. 

Thanks too for all the yummy recipe/meal ideas. Nor really liking all the cooking that is now necessary but it is what it is. I know I will really appreciate it when we are once again able to go out to eat without worrying about this virus. We have only done take out twice since this all started-it’s just not as enjoyable for us as actually eating out.

Stay safe and well everyone.

Sharon

Wow Melody...always blows my mind to see your snow! I'm sitting here on the patio, listening to the birds...the sun is shining, the skies are clear...it's going to be mid-80s today. 

We had the most fabulous news yesterday. I have expressed how having all of DS's stuff still in his hall room has been weighing on me. The residence contract ends late June and he was going to have to extend it through the end of his academic year (RAM goes longer than UL) and while I figured that we were good through the contract...I'm not sure that June will even be long enough with the way things are going...and having to continue to pay the rent on the hall while he isn't even there...UGH.

So we got word that there have been so many that have moved out of the halls...and so many who left all their belongings there...that the halls are offering for everyone to be able to store their belonging in their room while they are not living there. They are recognizing that there were many who just got the h*ll out of Dodge, so to speak, and basically abandoned non-essentials in their escape to a safer place, usually "home" which could be outside the UK, if not just out of London. Everyone who wishes to can store their belongings in their own room for a FRACTION of the price of rent, like less than 10%!! At least until the stay-at-home restrictions have been loosed enough to make moving around London a possibility.

Whew.

I'm so relieved!!

Even afterwards, they have made it clear that you can appoint designated people to be your representative to clear out your stuff if you are unable to be there. We can cross that bridge when we get there...meanwhile...it would appear that there are a bunch of us in that boat I was concerned about...and I am beyond thrilled with how reasonable the halls are being in this situation!

• Like 2

I can't believe it's April!! OMG...IDK...it feels like I was just getting ready for our February cruise...

I want to do more of a clean out with my wardrobe. I put off thinking about some things because I was waiting to see how the cooler weather would actually be down here. I recall there being some significant cold snaps in Houston...but wasn't sure how it would be here. I know each year and season can be different...and I wouldn't want to necessarily get rid of all clothing that is cooler weather related...I do like to travel...when we can...but I think I have way more than I would need.

I'm slightly concerned over making too many decisions in this current situation though...

It just seems like the perfect time to really go through stuff though...

Anita - great news about the storage!  Did I miss your pictures of purple hair?

Melody - your soup looks good 🙂 I've had a few years where we had green Christmas and white Easter, it's been cold here but not snowing .

Sally - I never thought about baked potatoes in the air fryer 😮 What temp do you use for the 25 minutes?

Laurie - my husband said the same thing about Philly and the rest of our state.

• Like 1

Anita, wonderful news about your DS’s “stuff”. I think many places will be doing this with the total lockdown. 

our darling SIL just came & shoveled us out!  I was literally putting on my boots & coat & I heard a scraping sound. What a sweetheart, he’d been out plowing hospitals & medical centers since 2am & stopped here on his way home to shovel us out. I see chocolate chip cookies in his future ❤️  

im very sad today, a very good friend (since second grade) passed away last night. She had a double lung transplant over 10 years ago & was definitely immune-compromised. She’d been in the hospital for several weeks. Rest In Peace Lucy 💔. Melody

Melody , so sorry to hear about your friend .

Pacruise, I brush the potatoes with olive oil then salt the skins and set the air fryer at 400 . By the end of this isolation I will be able to write an air fryer cook book .

I continued working on my closet and chest today . It is crazy how many clothes I have to toss .A lot because I have lost weight .and I will probably never be more than a small again .I intend to find a decent charity to give a lot to. 

• Like 2