All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

Laurie, I thought of you and of our deaf friend in MI when I saw this article. Our MI friend is deaf from birth and he reads lips but doesn't sign. For whatever reason he cannot have an implant. His wife had an implant though and she is doing great with it, and it is so sweet to watch their quick little asides to each other as she helps him with details during conversations.  Such teamwork.

https://www.khou.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/the-masks-have-a-clear-screen-so-people-are-able-to-see-the-mouth-of-the-person-wearing-it/285-b060ebdf-4c46-422e-b95c-eb64b4b8b410

Of course everyone you work with would have to be wearing one, right? Perhaps your bank would accommodate you in this way?  

Soma is having a big sale, so I picked up a couple of my favorite bras and some other goodies.

https://www.soma.com/store/

Sally, I had my eye on a JJill dress that is now 40% off, and I even had it in my cart, but I couldn't do it. I just can't imagine where I'd be wearing it these days. By the time the little dress weather gets here, we will likely be moved to the lake. What I really need is some around the house shorts, so I'll probably be more likely to shop the Hanes catalog! Something like this, though I wish they had better colors.

https://www.onehanesplace.com/hanes-womens-jersey-pocket-short.html

Margaret, when are you moving to the lake?  Should be pretty soon.

We’ve had great weather this week & we got to social distance with all of our kids (unfortunately separately) this weekend; made my heart full. Les is on oxygen for another month (only at night), doc doesn’t want to take any chances. 

hope everyone is staying well. Melody

Melody, so glad you got some family time and that Les continues to improve. I had a really hard day recently after talking with my siblings, missing them and knowing I have no clue when I will be with them IRL again. Zoom helps but it is a poor substitute.

The current plan is to head up to the lake mid-May. Even though it is still cold here (mid-40's), on the sunny days there are more and more people out, so I expect social distancing for our walks will get harder as the weather warms up. I am also not looking forward to being boxed inside the apartment once air conditioner weather comes. Our apartment faces full west so it starts earlier for us than most, and our kitchen especially gets soooooo hot. Plus we have window units, which makes for uneven temperatures. Our living room can get way too cold because of the L-shape of our main living areas, and a closet blocks airflow to our home office so that can be too warm. In addition there are rules about how many AC's we can have due to the way electricity costs are allocated in the condo rules, which are quite antiquated.

I am changing my clothes constantly!  I need long pants in the cool mornings, then outside clothes for our walk, then shorts in the afternoon, workout clothes for zumba, a nice top if I Zoom with friends, old t-shirts for cooking, something relaxing in the evening... OMG it's ridiculous. Our laundry load hasn't gotten smaller at all with us both at home.

It's noon! Time to go out and watch the Thunderbirds fly over Manhattan. :)

• Like 1

Glad Les is continuing to improve . I am going for antibody testing  I am on the list but they said it will take a few days before an appointment is available.  I just want to see if that weird pneumonia was the virus  . I wear the same thing everyday yoga pants and tops  I just wear nicer ones if we are going for a walk  . JJill had a 70% off sale  I bought a dress I have been eyeing for $12  and a top for $7  .There was not a lot left and it was mainly small sizes .Hope I soon get to wear my clothes again .Our governor is going to announce opening plans tomorrow .Our weather has been warm 80's and sunny  .This isolation is finally getting to me .   

• Like 1

Melody...nice you go to see your family. Also glad to hear Les is improving.

Sally...I'm so interested to hear if you have antibodies. 

Laurie...also hope your infection clears quickly.

There's nothing new here. My life hasn't changed at all except how it has gone back in time...I'm back to being quiet around the house when DH is on a call (almost all the time) and feeling like I'm constantly figuring out how to answer DS when he asks what he can eat. I don't do much though so...in some ways my life has gotten a lot better with the safer at home because I actually have company and have doubled my interaction with other in real life humans by having DS home. LOL.

I've started looking at real estate/apartments...but it's still too early really. But knowing we will be moving, I'm getting that eager feeling to get on with it. After seeing the way the professional packers packed everything though...I realize that it will be much better to do that in one fell swoop than to try to do it over time in the way that I have in the past. You'd think that I would be more enthused for all the projects I have that I could be working on...but somehow, I totally am NOT enthused at all.

DS and his friend found out that the average man's beard growth is six years. At the six year mark, the length doesn't get any longer...the balance between new growth and hair loss is complete. So he and his friend have decided to see how long they each can get their beards. DS had already started the no shave stay at home...he had that full chin/cheek beard in eighth grade...and now it's completely full. He has a fuller beard than DH. The rules are trimming mustache only and other trimming just to look groomed but not actually CUT the beard. I was wondering... It'll be interesting to see how long it actually lasts.

Meanwhile...my hair is around my waistband...I've been contemplating giving myself a trim because the ends are getting a bit frazzled...but the ends are the most purple still so I'm reluctant to do any trimming.

Margaret...that's so funny about your clothes. I have to make the effort to care that the ones I've been wearing need a break. I have almost LITERALLY been wearing the same clothes every day. LOL.

• Like 1

I forgot to say...I woke up today and literally couldn't remember where I lived. After thinking about different places, I could remember Winston Salem, but upon remembering Winston, I almost instantly remembered that I had moved from there...and it took me just a bit to figure out where I had moved to. Finally I could remember that I lived in Florida. Has something similar ever happened to anyone else? It was odd, to say the least.

Yes, that has happened to me and right as I wake up but it was after spending a month away from home and forgetting for a split second that I was now back home.

I think that many of us are having a hard time motivating ourselves to work on all those projects that we all have. I know that is my problem and so far  pep talks haven’t helped!

• Like 1

I can not remember what day it is . The other day I had to look at a calendar to figure out it was Friday . I am also having a problem with motivation . I do make myself accomplish something every day but it can be something small . I have also got into exercising every other day . That has worked out well . Last night we had Happy hour 6 feet apart outside from our two friends . It seemed like pre covid times. My hair has morphed into a whole different style  and gotten curly . If it wasn't for the gray roots it would not be too bad .

Gary has been growing a beard since the shutdown started . He looks like Hemingway .

• Like 2

It's great that you had such nice weather today, Melody!  It reached 60 today here, I believe.  It was a cooler 60 though, and we just had a huge downpour a little while ago that left some flash flooding.  My husband and I just walked out of the grocery store, and got drenched.

I have to say, everyone is so good about wearing their mask.  I know there are those who don't, but you know, you notice one negative things before you notice 100 positive things.  

I wish we could find a place to walk.  Because I am working full time, my only options are in the evening and weekends, and between the weather and crowds, we haven't been able to do much.  This is one time I wish we were in a more "normal" suburban area.  We don't have sidewalks, street lights, and we are on a hill that gets a fair amount of traffic.  Taking a walk here isn't really safe.  My sister-in-law is still in Florida, and I'm tempted to drive to her house, park in the driveway, put on the mask and go walking!!  As it turns out, I think my husband needs to check her house again anyway.  Maybe we can do that this weekend.

My chair from Pier 1 came in, and one of the pillows.  I can't wait to set it up in the spare room.  I wanted an inexpensive chair, and I'm surprised at how well made this is.  The color was exactly what I had in mind too.  Unfortunately, I am using that corner of the room for donation items.  My daughter has been cleaning, and I had a few bags (smallish - not garbage bags) of clothes to donate.  Then there were the odds and ends from just working in the house.   I didn't want things all over, so they are in the corner where the chair will go.

Pretty much all donation centers are closed right now.  I heard a church near by is still taking clothing through the drop off.  

My doctor's office is offering antibody testing for COVID-19.  I am debating.  It's not a test to see if you currently have it, just to see if you have antibodies.  I think that once they figure out whether or not you can get this more than once, it may be good information to have.  It is a simple blood test that I can go right in and out for.  

Any my ear is much better.  I am still putting drops in at night for a few more days.  Because my allergies are acting up, I tend to get some fluid in the ear and I don't want the infection to come back.  I am trying to remember to take the generic version of Allegra I have each day.  I'm not good at that.  I take my thyroid medicine as soon as my alarm goes off each day, but you should eat, drink or take other medication for about an hour after and I always forget.  I'm trying to remember to take it right before I leave for work, which is about an hour and fifteen minutes later.  I have remember for three days straight now, and I really do feel better.  

Anyone else have trouble in the spring and fall with allergies?  I used to sneeze and have this awful runny nose where people thought I had a cold.  These days, the fluid ends up as post nasal drip and in my ears.    It's funny how things like that change.  

• Like 2

Glad you are feeling better Laurie.  DH has pretty much year round allergies, and with all the decluttering we've been doing I'm having a little issue from the dust.  A pill minder/medicine keeper helps me remember if I took something but not to actually take it.  Maybe you could set a secondary alarm just for the medicine.

I had to get up super early this morning so still a bit groggy.  I first read that you were tempted to drive to you SIL in FL for a walk and was confused 😉 We have had similar weather, the wind was crazy yesterday.  Managed one walk this week (first DH was off property since this March) and it was nice that traffic was low on our road.

Great pictures Melody (both the remodel and the scenery).  CO weather is wild - didn't you just have snow a week ago, now 80's! Beautiful area though 🙂 

I was thinking about you, Anita - thanks for checking in.  I've been struggling with what day it is too: Wednesday is one of our most "structured" days with BSF for me and quizzing practice for DS; despite having my zoom meeting I totally forgot it was Wednesday a few hours later when my son wasn't available.

I've also had the "where am I?" - especially when we get back from a cruise.

The beard info was interesting.  DH is getting very bushy and I suspect we might need to trim the mustache before salons open - I think he mostly wants to wait it out.  DS has super thick hair and is looking like a cockatoo some mornings 😄 Daughter and I are good for a while still.

Trying to get a bit done each day too - yesterday was the master bath and some more decluttering, plus starting a nutrition plan and binged a bunch of videos for it.  I feel like I'm losing focus a lot and struggling with motivation.

DD finished classes last week and waiting on grades for one but it looks like she did well (A's & B's).

• Like 1

They are starting to open up Florida and even though it will not change my life a lot it feels so freeing . I know i will not rush to eat at restaurants but the fact that I can has changed my whole out look. I have had a problem with motivation and today I zipped around the house cleaning .It is so strange how that works .

• Like 2

Hair salons opened here yesterday. My stylist had called me & said 9 am. I was there. She only let one person in her shop at a time & sanitized between us. I brought her a bottle of Apothic Inferno...made her smile, I think, the mask covered her smile. I feel almost human, now to try to get pedicure done sometime this week. I can’t do a pedicure myself as I can’t lean over with this stupid hernia. Melody

0C1B6F64-A5B4-416D-8E0B-840BA10B5AD4.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sailor_Sally said:

Melody , Your hair looks great . I can not wait until they open up the beauty parlors here . I desperately need a trim & color .

Sally, I felt so much better walking out of there, what a mood enhancer!

We are having good weather today!  Still too crowded to walk in certain areas.  Longbranch Park is monitoring the parking lot, and only allowing a certain number of people in at a time.  Other areas, there are just too many people out today.  They are doing well though - masks and social distancing. Just not really feasible to do.

We did get a nice drive in today though, so we were able to enjoy some fresh air.  Now we are doing home stuff.  Tomorrow is supposed to be nice again, so we will focus on some outdoor work.

I got the new chair up to the spare room.  It really worked out great, and I couldn't beat that price anywhere.  It is very comfortable too.  I will get a picture of it as soon as I clean up the area a bit.  It is our current storage area for donations.  I'd rather keep them all together and keep the rest of the rooms clean.

They are making plans to start opening things up a little at a time.  People are getting impatient, but it really is rather soon.  Our county seems to be peaking as far as deaths and new cases go.  I think a slow and cautious approach is the best one.

• Like 1

Daughter & husband have been busy. Cabinets & countertops get installed this week, then floors. I think it will really look fabulous. Melody.  

3E082367-76C5-4EBF-B595-23CC48F5B197.jpeg

5A0FDB1D-F4BB-420D-968E-C2B9BAE82141.jpeg

EBCF5098-3884-42D2-BB96-62CCEEE4DC07.jpeg

Sally, did you hear the news about the earliest case in France being from December 2019?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/coronavirus-timeline-is-upended-as-france-discovers-december-case-11588700408

I am sure you are so curious to know if the pneumonia you had was it. We have friends who are convinced the husband had it in mid-January after their son's college roommate came for a visit. If it was already here in January then no wonder it spread so much before they started testing in March.

Edited by MJC
  • Like 1

Laurie, I hope your ear is feeling better.

Yesterday I moved all my winter shoes to the upper shelf and got down my summer shoes and sandals. Spring is always a good time to examine the condition of everything and plan for summer.

Today I went through my "work closet" and tried on all my tops. I made a stack to pack for the lake, a stack for donation, put a few things on the mending pile, and re-hung everything else. It was very satisfying. I've lost 5 pounds so everything fits just a bit better! I'd like to wear a different top each day for our walk so I can use some of my pretty things. 🙂  Since we are approaching lightweight dress season, I also took stock of my casual dresses. I look forward to wearing them soon! Today it was only in the 50's again so I still have to wait a few weeks.

• Like 1

Florida is starting to reopen so I will get to wear my nicer clothes soon . I have been living in work out gear . I need a hair cut . Hopefully they will open soon. I am signed up for antibody testing but I haven't been called yet . If not soon I am getting a test done at quest lab  even if I have to pay for it .A lot of the local restaurants enlarged their outdoor seating areas so when we do decide to eat out it will be at the outside area. 

• Like 2