All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

We are preparing for Passover tonight, though it will be nothing like what we usually do as we are celebrating alone. Since I don't have eggs left, we won't have matzo ball soup, which is disappointing. We'll skip the other multiple courses that go along with celebrating the story and singing the songs when our cousins are here. I am planning to set our table with the good china and silver, though, and candles are required, so we'll do our best to honor the tradition and try to enjoy ourselves. There will be wine!

I have been doing my usual mix of cooking from scratch and prepared frozen entrees. One night was organic chicken tenders from Costco with honey mustard dipping sauce, for example. Or I'll use a rice pilaf box mix. I always tell people I am a good cook, but a lazy cook, who is happy to take advantage of tasty shortcuts. I never make hummus though it is a staple in our kitchen for dipping veggies or smearing on pita bread. We have a lot of fine restaurants to choose from, so our home cooking tends to be on the functional side, but I do put effort into having it be healthy, and we do food rotation so it has variety. Our ethnic food choices just in our neighborhood alone are extensive so I have never bothered to master any of them.

I usually have lots of fresh vegetables and fruit on hand. Our store of fresh veggies is almost gone, and we still have a bit of frozen veggies left, but after that we will switch to the dreaded canned vegetables. We still have lots of apples, oranges, and pears. I may have found a local grocery that will deliver, but they are swamped because of the two holidays, so I will wait until early next week and try to make an order then.

We still have ambulances going by all day, and there is real worry in the city that nobody has any idea how many people are infected now, have been infected, or are pre-symptomatic. For us it means that for months to come we will be at risk every time we go out in public. I am grappling with the fear I have over that. There have been many home deaths of people who were classed as cardiac arrest or pneumonia. Some of them went to the hospital but weren't admitted because their symptoms didn't fit the narrow definition for admission. These people will never be tested and included in the statistics. It's important for everyone to understand the numbers they hear in the news... where they come from and what they leave out. I share this information to encourage you to practice care and think about where your own risks lie.

On a more pleasant note, if you like Philip Glass, keep an eye out for the Met's recent production of his opera Akhnaten on PBS. Between the meditative music and the eye candy staging, it's a real treat with the blinds closed and the speakers turned up.

Edited by MJC
  • Like 2

Happy Passover and Happy Easter . 

We usually dine out for Easter or share it with friends but this year it is just us .Carrabba's an italian restaurant near us is preparing easter dinner with all the fixings to go so that is what we are doing . I was going to cook but I love their food . It is a scary time . I have been doing instacart for food ordering and it has worked out fine .I feel sorry for all the people that live alone . This must be so hard for them .I think at some point we will have to accept the risk and return to life . 

• Like 1

Margaret , What I have found works for ordering groceries is to take the first available spot and just fill up your basket as the week goes on.I usually get a spot a week away and just add and subtract from my cart . It is also possible to get a sooner spot if you wait until after midnight when the slots open up .

• Like 1

Sally, which delivery service are you using? Do they deliver or do you pick up your order in the store’s parking lot? I haven’t used any of them. I know we have Instacart and Walmart will do parking lot pick up, just don’t know much about them. TIA

Sharon

I have been using instacart .I tried Walmart but it is hard to get a time slot . Walmart is cheaper than instacart but our local store Publix uses instacart .Insta cart delivers .Walmart delivers or you can pick it up .They just load it into your car .Walmart when you pick up is cheaper than instacart .I have  used both. I get a time slot and then I just fill up my cart or subtract things . The easiest way to get a time slot with Walmart for pickup is to stay up to midnight they open up available slots right after midnight .

Just to add info...because somehow it seems like any first hand info...even if from a message board like this is helpful.

So I have totally zeroed in on Target for my shopping needs. Compared to my local Publix and Walmart, if you need to go INTO the store, for my area, Target is the place to be...the others do not compare in terms of what they are doing to protect the shoppers.

When I went shopping the other day...this is my experience...

I drive into the parking lot area and before I have even entered the parking lot area, there is a sign that is advising everyone about Social Distancing, both in the parking lot and in the store.

Only one entrance is open. The entrance near away from the grocery is all taped off with notices on everyday as well. No entrance there. Go over to the one closest to the grocery area and there is a sign, "Line starts here" on the auto sliding doors.

Two workers are near the grocery carts. Both are wearing face masks and gloves. One is standing at the front of the collective of carts with what I would normally use to for a weed killer in a yard, spraying whatever on the floor and around the grocery carts. The other is closer to the people entering the store, and they wipe down the cart and ask if I would like one. And then shove the wiped down cart in my direction.

The store is filled with respectful shoppers.

If you hit the TP/paper towel aisle, there is at least one worker there who mans the aisle. You can see down the aisle to stock on hand, but basically a line forms and you will tell the person manning the aisle what product you want from what is available. There are limits so that inventory has a chance to reach everyone.

The limits I observed were 1 Tp per person, 1 paper towel per person, 2 eggs, 2 breads, 2 meats. Bagels didn't count towards the loaves of bread. Size didn't matter. I bought the biggest package of Charmin!!!! (sorry to any Scotts fans...and maybe we got the septic tank friendly on the last run...not wonderful but better than nothing). I bought 2 packages of 18-count eggs, for example.

In my experience, I have never seen such limited stock for purchase choices. For example, for rice, would you like parboiled brown or long-grain white from a brand I have never heard of before. With a grateful heart, I snagged a bag of the normal white rice.

I was conscious of not picking and choosing items in the manner that I have in the past. Forget you break it, you buy it...it was you touch you, you buy it for me. And I hoped that others were the same way.

It is self-check only. You will have to deal with everything, but as I pulled up to the available check out station, the one attendant there asked if I would like an extra cart to deal with the whole transfer...and yes, I would and did. In between each customer, the check out station was wiped down.

Throughout the store, there were employees wiping down things like the handles on the doors for the freezer and refrigerated sections.

I tell you that the set up the local Target store is far and above what I had been experiencing in other stores. It may not be true in other areas, but I could be at other stores in about 5 minutes, but I drive about 30 minutes to the Target because I feel like they do a good job of being as smart and as conscientious as you can be in these times, especially when I want things that aren't available for pick up.

I share this in such detail because I know that there are lurkers, etc, reading this thread...people who may have a sense of knowing me from my posts, and I want to share this information because if I hadn't already scoped it out, this is info I would want to know.

Stay safe and healthy everyone.

• Like 2

Anita, thanks for letting all of us know how the Target near you is protecting shoppers. None of our targets are super Targets although each has a good size grocery dept. I have not shopped at any of them since this started. I wonder if this is corporate policy or if each manager uses corporate guidelines to formulate their own policies. 

Going back to your post from last Tuesday, your first paragraph exactly echoes  my thoughts on the subject of meal planning and cooking. So glad to know that from your post and those of others on here, I am not alone.😊 

Stay well everyone.

Sharon

• Like 1

Our two main choices for grocery delivery are Fresh Direct and Peapod. None of the stores in my area use InstaCart. I have gotten up at 1, 2, 3 in the morning to log in and the slots are booked out for two weeks, which is the maximum. I tried hitting directly at midnight, at 12:01, no luck. Even friends who have their highest membership level have told me that they have gotten maybe 1/2 to 1/3 of their order because of shortages at the warehouses.

Today I had to pick up a prescription at Walgreens, and it's pouring rain, so it was a fairly easy trip with very few people in the store. It is probably 1/3 the size of the Walgreens at the lake, so I wanted to go when it was as empty as possible. I got the last dozen eggs, some milk, TP, popsicles, and some M&Ms. I came home happy. So for second night Passover dinner we will have matzo ball soup plus the rest of the chicken I made yesterday. And tomorrow morning I will make matzo brei, which I only do once a year at this time. It's kind of like french toast, some people put cinnamon and sugar on it, but we use maple syrup. For those who haven't eaten matzo, it can be constipating, so we limit how much we eat.

I also ordered some bread mix online which will come tomorrow. Most of our problem areas have been addressed for the time being.

I dressed nice for dinner last night, did my hair and makeup, and wore my grandma's necklace. We had a quiet but lovely holiday.

• Like 3

Margaret, I’m so glad you were able to get the final ingredients for your matzo ball soup. I’ve had matzo Brei before, but I had it with the cinnamon sugar...you just brought back a fond memory.

doc just called in another antibiotic & a different cough syrup & new inhaler for Les. Hopefully this’ll knock it out of him. The pharmacy told me to call when I get outside & they’ll bring the prescriptions out to me. 

I haven’t used any of the delivery services, I am using the Senior shopping hours (once a week) & our middle daughter has been awesome about getting groceries for us. 

on another note, I had a virtual (iPad) visit with my two surgeons. They both concurred with the fact that I really need surgery to repair the hiatal hernia (it’s moved up into my chest cavity from the diaphragm) & a second surgery 😢 to repair the ventral wall surgery. If I develop shortness of breath I’m to call their cell phone (they’re a married couple) because it then has become an emergent situation. Otherwise as soon as elective surgery opens I’m on for a 4 hour hiatal hernia repair then a 2 hour ventral hernia repair. They might be able to do at same time, but won’t know till they can physically touch me. I do know it’ll be 4 days (minimum) inpatient for each surgery & it definitely won’t be a laparoscopic surgery. I really didn’t want to wear that bikini top anyway 😢. Sigh. 

all in all. We’re doing well, expecting a pretty big snowstorm for Easter Sunday. Melody

Melody, I'm so sorry to hear about your health issues.  Praying everything remains stable (or even better miraculously heals) so you can wait for elective surgery.

Anita, our Target isn't very big and when I was there last week it was pretty picked over.  I do have a nice Aldi which has stepped up their game with distancing and disinfecting.  I didn't need to stop at Sam's this week but will probably go to Walmart tomorrow (opposite direction from other stores).

My MIL said her Walmart was restricting traffic flow in the food entrance and out the home goods exit.  A friend in another town said they are limiting the number of people in the store at a time.  I should have enough staples and meats to get by for a month, but will likely need to stop somewhere each week for produce and milk.

Getting back to fashion a little: yesterday I had a Zoom meeting for my Bible study and wore a little make-up.  A friend sells LipSence and just before everything started I got a mystery pack from her which included a red glitter gloss.  It looked great in the tube but not so much on me, but since I'd opened it I decided to try it with another color I had that was supposed to be neutral but didn't really work.  Layering the gloss over the color produced a look I really liked, more mauve I think than pink or red but also subtle.

I was going to wish everyone a good weekend, but then realized it's only Thursday 🤣Is anyone else getting confused on the days yet?

• Like 1

Our target has a very small grocery area and the nearest Super target is a distance . 

Margaret , Glad you made the most of your holiday .

Melody , Sorry about your surgery especially when Les is still recovering . Is He taking mucinex ? I find that is so helpful to get crap out of the lungs .

I have no idea what day it is anymore . I need day of the week panties .

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Margaret, glad your trip to Walgreens yielded more than meds. Your Passover dinners and the care you are putting into them is so nice. I’ve heard about the difficulty people have getting a delivery time with the various delivery services. So frustrating!  Must be even more so considering the NYC situation.  

Melody, gosh you two have really been thru it these past few months and now surgery! I bet you are thankful for the break that your cruise gave you. Hope the new meds help your DH to kick this thing. After all he will need to be ready to take care of you!😊

Mixing up days-yes easy to do under the circumstances!🤪

Take care all.

Sharon

Melody,

I am really sorry to hear about you needing surgery.  You have a lot on your plate now.  I am wishing you the best.

Tonight I will make pizza.  The dough will have to rise.  I always have yeast and flour in the house.  Now I will start on the sauce.  The pizza will have tomatoes, cheese, pepperoni , mushrooms on it.  

Looking forward to eating it!!

I also brought another Pandora charm on https://www.ruelala.com/boutique/.  60% to 65% off for the next few days.

Edited by geocruiser
  • Like 1

I knew this surgery was coming, just didn’t think it had gotten so big, sigh.

Les is definitely better than he was. These latest antibiotics will knock it out of him. He’s down to oxygen just at night & pulse ox is staying at 89, still low but better than it was. 

we’re having hamburgers, leftover bbq ribs & Mac & cheese tonight, pure comfort food!!  Melody

• Like 2

Melody, so glad to hear Les is doing better. I'm sorry to hear about your surgery, but knowing you, you will buckle down and get through the hard part, and come out stronger and better.

I am blessed in my friends. A Manhattan girlfriend found and saved a delivery time slot in my neighborhood so she "adopted" me into her Chef's Membership account for a local delivery company, and I was able to place a big order for fresh food that will arrive on Monday. Happy dance!  Lettuce, tomatoes, melons, meats... all kinds of goodies. Plus my Target order arrived today with things like dish soap, sponges, and toothpaste, plus some food items that don't need refrigeration like honey and mayonnaise. My pantry is happy and we have cookies on the way. 🙂

Here is some armchair window shopping from Coldwater Creek:

Ginger

https://www.coldwatercreek.com/sweaters/pullovers/cap-sleeve-sweater-tee/12486.html?dwvar_12486_color=0742&dwvar_12486_config=M&q=ginger#q=ginger&start=1&cgid=

Tank tops in deep colors!

https://www.coldwatercreek.com/knit-tops-and-tees/sleeveless/vintage-wash-button-tank/18622.html?q=wash button tank&dwvar_18622_config=M

I like this because it's a solid but not solid, kwim?

https://www.coldwatercreek.com/knit-tops-and-tees/short-sleeve/embroidered-vintage-wash-slub-tee/18216.html?dwvar_18216_color=0345&dwvar_18216_config=W&q=vintage wash tee#q=vintage%2Bwash%2Btee&start=2&cgid=

A really nice EARTH green is available.

https://www.coldwatercreek.com/knit-tops-and-tees/short-sleeve/swirling-petals-slub-tee/18650.html?q=swirling petals&dwvar_18650_config=M

• Like 1

I actually just brought new patio furniture, on line. I got a 40% off coupon & free shipping at Kohls so bought two swivel chairs (to match the two we already have) & a glider. They’ll arrive around Les’s bday next week. I’m really excited about the glider!  Chairs were $350, on sale for $250 & I got them for $134!!!  I know the math doesn’t add up, I paid $200 for the sane 2 chairs last summer...happy. 

these are pictures of our SILs 50th bday celebration last night. Les & I top left, daughter Karin top right, son Erick bottom right. Bday boy is obvious. No picture of oldest daughter. Fun, then played charades after, which was hysterical. Melody

20855DDC-C187-4F9B-B819-E30325C4666B.jpeg

Edited by awhfy

49 minutes ago, awhfy said:

I actually just brought new patio furniture, on line. I got a 40% off coupon & free shipping at Kohls so bought two swivel chairs (to match the two we already have) & a glider. They’ll arrive around Les’s bday next week. I’m really excited about the glider!  Chairs were $350, on sale for $250 & I got them for $134!!!  I know the math doesn’t add up, I paid $200 for the sane 2 chairs last summer...happy. 

these are pictures of our SILs 50th bday celebration last night. Les & I top left, daughter Karin top right, son Erick bottom right. Bday boy is obvious. No picture of oldest daughter. Fun, then played charades after, which was hysterical. Melody

20855DDC-C187-4F9B-B819-E30325C4666B.jpeg

Sounds like you got a real bargain.  Enjoy your new chair, just in time for spring.

PS

We had snow yesterday.

• Like 1

Very nice family get together to celebrate a birthday.  We also did a family FaceTime get together last night. Each of us enjoyed our adult beverage of choice while visiting. Enjoy your new patio furniture......weather permitting!

Sally, your new tee is very pretty. It will go nicely with your new shorts. 

Sharon

• Like 1

Les laughed at me...you’re buying patio furniture & it’s snowing like crazy. High temps tonight of 15. Sure doesn't feel like Easter. Nice weather will get here. Looks like severe weather all across the country, everyone stay safe.

I’m making raspberry  thumbprint cookies to have something special for Easter. I’ll make a pot roast in tge crockpot tomorrow, no sense in cooking the 20lb ham for the two of us, I’ll save that till this is over & the family gathers in person. Melody

• Like 1

Coldwater Creek - I really like my new scarves from that store.  I have noticed they have some really nice earth colors, but there prices are a bit steep for me.  I think I am going to just watch for a sale.

Sally, I really like that top.  It is very pretty.

Melody, I'm sorry you need more surgery.  You have got to be so tired of it all.  You and Les have been through a lot in the past few years.

I haven't tried any delivery services or curbside pickup for groceries.  Once a week, I go into Wegmans and I try to shop with a plan.  I go in, get what I need and leave.  I saw a lot of masks this week, as they are now saying that masks may be helpful, even if they are a cloth mask.  We have a few people wearing them at work too.

I decided to make a small ham tomorrow.  I like my husband and daughter who lives at home pick out the meal, and we decided it would be whatever sounded good to us.  They didn't need to necessarily "go together".  So I have a small spiral ham with plans for the leftovers already, baked potatoes, deviled eggs and a carrot cake for dessert.  

Why not, right?  We have been going out to dinner for Easter for the last 3 years or so, but this isn't an option now.  One thing we want to do when all this clears up is go out to dinner with my daughter, son-in-law and the baby.  Or maybe I'll just make a big dinner for all of us.  Or maybe I'll do both!  

Today, we are doing odds and ends.  I just finished laundry, and my husband washed down all the kitchen cabinets.  I dusted, and hemmed the new curtains for the mudroom as well as the one for the closet in the den.  

For tonight, we are going to watch another Harry Potter movie.  We started the series last weekend, and we are up to movie 4 for tonight.

Stay healthy, everyone.

• Like 2

Our weather has been great . Warm but not hot and nice breezes .I picked up the Carrabas order today and it was so much food. We had dinner and have plenty for one or two more meals . Plus I dropped off salad and bread with olive oil dipping sauce  at my friend's . Our refrigerator and freezer are packed . We are set for awhile .

Melody , I am also looking at patio  furniture and a patio umbrella .Mine has really faded .

Laurie , It must be so hard not to be able to see your grandson. 

Edited by Sailor_Sally
  • Like 1