Rum cakes in Nassau, bringing one home?

teknoge3k

I believe it's in Nassau where they have the rum cake. My question is, can you bring one home with you? I am not sure how they are about that in customs or even on the ship. I LOVE rum cake and we usually eat several of them at Christmas.

I'll be on a Carnival ship, coming back into Charleston so all US laws would apply..

TYIA!

I believe it's in Nassau where they have the rum cake. My question is, can you bring one home with you? I am not sure how they are about that in customs or even on the ship. I LOVE rum cake and we usually eat several of them at Christmas.

I'll be on a Carnival ship, coming back into Charleston so all US laws would apply..

TYIA!

No problem bringing unopened rum cake home.

TYIA!

No problem, as long as the cake is sealed.

TYIA!

As others have said, no problem bringing them home. By the way, a slice of rum cake and a cup of decaf in the evening makes a nice little snack. ;) Better get two ( or three ) if you're planning to save one for Christmas. :)

You can bring it home. But you'd better not. Because you will miss those things once you've finished the last piece ;)

Not sure how it's in the US, but here in Europe, we have a hard time finding these things. Online is no problem, but I have to pay a ton of delivery fee.

Kidding aside, though, I always keep them in my carry on bag (sealed as other mentioned!) and haven't had one that didn't survive my 12 hour flights home.

Edited by headhunterke

Thanks y'all! We make them homemade (DEEEE LISH US!) but I am excited to get them in the Bahamas now. WOO HOO!!

I can also assure you, I will buy several. haha

They are a Prime item on Amazon, so I may go ahead and order some in advance.

Thanks again everyone. ;)

If one sails on a Caribbean cruise, including to Nassau only, some brand of rum cakes will be available. One brand, whose name I will not mention, is available everywhere that I have sailed.

But, what is interesting is that many islands have their own version, using their own island's Rum, i.e. St. Lucia. Probably Tortotla as well given there British heritage.

It is worthwhile to try other types of run cakes, in my opinion. A bit of variety for the old taste buds.

Thanks y'all! We make them homemade (DEEEE LISH US!) but I am excited to get them in the Bahamas now. WOO HOO!!

Please, please, please........

would you share the recipe?

I'm so glad you mentioned Amazon/Prime. They have choices for the famous Tortuga Rum Cake many of us have bought in the Caribbean.

Prices seem about the same if you have prime and don't have to pay shipping.

At least on Caribbean cruises, I simply have them shipped to me at home from the local Tortuga store. That certainly eliminates the temptation of eating one before I get home.

Edited by Treven

There are several recipes on line, but give this one a try. Even though it's from King Arthur flour, you can use any brand:

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/caribbean-rum-cake-recipe

Thanks for the link.

It sounds good but a bit more work than some other recipes I've read. Hopefully someone has a tried and true recipe that's a little less time in the kitchen. :D