new promotion- $1 deposits

happy traveler69

That 1st paragraph might not be true IMHO. I am on a Government Pension here in Australia due to Disability. By careful planning and budgeting, I will be enjoying my 1st cruise in November this year. By checking the Port Schedules of the Embarkation and Disembarkation ports, I have located another possible cruise for 2017-no information available from Princess until late April. I may not be able to make the booking until I return from my November cruise with a Future Cruise Credit, I may even get another FCC, as it would enable me to book the appropriate future itinerary ASAP. This 1st cruise is the most expensive, with a lot of new experiences to try, but I now have a very accurate baseline price for future cruises, and can budget better. I have been making regular fortnightly payments towards my cruise, establishing a history of reliability in payments. I DID thanks to information read here on Cruise Critic, make sure that International Travel Insurance-required for a Domestic Cruise as Medicare here doesn't cover Cruise Ship travel, was bought on the same day I made the booking. Have had to adjust it due to a variation in dates, but it only cost my AUD$50, think that's about USD$40, so very happy for the peace of mind.

Enjoy your first cruise, I'm sure it will be wonderful.

That 1st paragraph might not be true IMHO. I am on a Government Pension here in Australia due to Disability. By careful planning and budgeting, I will be enjoying my 1st cruise in November this year. By checking the Port Schedules of the Embarkation and Disembarkation ports, I have located another possible cruise for 2017-no information available from Princess until late April. I may not be able to make the booking until I return from my November cruise with a Future Cruise Credit, I may even get another FCC, as it would enable me to book the appropriate future itinerary ASAP. This 1st cruise is the most expensive, with a lot of new experiences to try, but I now have a very accurate baseline price for future cruises, and can budget better. I have been making regular fortnightly payments towards my cruise, establishing a history of reliability in payments. I DID thanks to information read here on Cruise Critic, make sure that International Travel Insurance-required for a Domestic Cruise as Medicare here doesn't cover Cruise Ship travel, was bought on the same day I made the booking. Have had to adjust it due to a variation in dates, but it only cost my AUD$50, think that's about USD$40, so very happy for the peace of mind.

I think you're doing things perfectly. I was commenting on the poster who is paying off 2 cruises they took and booked 2 more. I believe in living within ones means and not going into debt for non essential items with a few exceptions such as illness or job loss.

People who are fooled by a $1 deposit don't understand finances. They are falling for a lure. Supermarkets do it all the time. They put the candy and gum at the checkout hoping you'll make an impulse buy. They prominently display non essential at end caps or price things in multiples such as 3 for $5 and people think it's a bargain. It's called marketing.

Insurance was never the topic on this thread. Glad you found peace of mind at a price you like.

well, it may not necessarily mean they can afford it, it may be the incentive to have those people cruise, who might have not otherwise sailed. I'm paying for 2 cruises at this time, and the dollar deposit would be good enough for me to put down on a princess cruise to hold that spot while I continue paying off those previous ones. I've never sailed princess, and this may be the deal breaker if I go with princess

Hmmmm no, that's your assumption. For all you know they have cruises booked for 2017 and 2018. You have no idea of anyone's situation nor should you be commenting on it.

I'm not assuming a darn thing, I'm quoting a poster who says they're continuing to pay off previous cruises. That's called debt.

I'm not assuming a darn thing, I'm quoting a poster who says they're continuing to pay off previous cruises. That's called debt.

They said they were paying for two cruises. They did not say they had already taken them. That's on you. If you read it it talks about booking a third while paying for the previous ones "booked" And it's none if your damn business what anyone else does with their money

Edited by Cruise Junky

People being in debt is really none of your business. Adults can make their own decisions on how to spend their money.

I have two cruises booked and am booking another on the Island to the Panama Canal in 2017. The $1 deposit is a good way to hold the booking with the OBC and cabin that I want.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Forums mobile app

People being in debt is really none of your business. Adults can make their own decisions on how to spend their money.

You're absolutely right it's none of my business, UNTIL you're posting your debt on a public forum then you opened the door to comment.

My point was that retailers are marketing with gimmicks and lures to hook people into spending money they don't have and a poster proved that point.

I see that most people don't understand marketing and the subliminal messages within.

If you are still paying off 2 cruises you prove my point, you can't afford to cruise without going into debt. That's a major problem in our country, people spending more then they earn.

Sympathy to you and your husband. Regardless of how much you put down you get it ALL back before final payment. I have someone very close to me in the same situation but it doesn't change the amount of the cruise or final payment, I don't under your statement of not wanting to loose anything if it's before final payment. Good luck with the treatment your husband is about to receive, it's tough but necessary.

who said I was paying OFF cruises? these are future cruises being paid for in cash- no credit. what's your issue?

They said they were paying for two cruises. They did not say they had already taken them. That's on you. If you read it it talks about booking a third while paying for the previous ones "booked" And it's none if your damn business what anyone else does with their money

thank you for your help! yes, the cruises I have are future cruises- no credit cards involved! no debt

I have two cruises booked and am booking another on the Island to the Panama Canal in 2017. The $1 deposit is a good way to hold the booking with the OBC and cabin that I want.

yes, this was my point exactly. thank you!!!!

You're absolutely right it's none of my business, UNTIL you're posting your debt on a public forum then you opened the door to comment.

My point was that retailers are marketing with gimmicks and lures to hook people into spending money they don't have and a poster proved that point.

I see that most people don't understand marketing and the subliminal messages within.

I wish you only the best and happy cruising.....BUT you remind me of this cable TV commercial thats running.:) :)

Getting this back "on topic" does anyone know if Alaska cruise/tours leaving late May 2017 will be included in the $1.00 deposit?

And will you be able to book this on Princess website or will you have to call to get this promo?

According to my Princess consultant. .. The $1 deposits are tied to the Twice as Nice Promotion. ...if it is a cruise listed as a Twice as Nice cruise. It can be deposited with $1 tomorrow.

Not sure about the website. ...I put my order in Friday. The phones are expected to be busy.

Edited by blkspy

who said I was paying OFF cruises? these are future cruises being paid for in cash- no credit. what's your issue?

Glad you cleared this up because it was unclear if your previous cruises were taken or not. It was not about you personally , it was to point out a marketing gimmick that has many people fooled into booking a cruise for a dollar thinking it's a deal when it really not. You are apparently not one of those people.

The bottom line is still the same whether you deposit one dollar or a thousand dollars.

Getting this back "on topic" does anyone know if Alaska cruise/tours leaving late May 2017 will be included in the $1.00 deposit?

And will you be able to book this on Princess website or will you have to call to get this promo?

Gracie115, they are for cruises through April 2017 so Alaska in 2017 is not included (unless something changes before tomorrow).

You can book through Princess or a TA.

According to my Princess consultant. .. The $1 deposits are tied to the Twice as Nice Promotion. ...if it is a cruise listed as a Twice as Nice cruise. It can be deposited with $1 tomorrow.

Not sure about the website. ...I put my order in Friday. The phones are expected to be busy.

okay, thanks for the info...don't think this sailing is part of that promo...but will still give it a try...

Edited by Gracie115

okay, thanks for the info...don't think this sailing is part of that promo...but will still give it a try...

You're welcome. This promotion allows me to extend my membership in the 'Once A Month Club'from September to April :) Retirement is wonderful :)

If one has money in a money market account or ANY interest bearing account, it would make financial sense to keep the money in one's own account until final payment is due. Simple math. Why give even one penny away if not necessary?

Edited by Dreamer333

I called princess today to get info and I learned that the $1 deposit is real! it can be applied to the current "twice is nice" promotion, and it is only a one day sale!! I appreciate most of your responses!! thank you so very much. while not new to cruising, I am new to princess. I'm looking at the 4/2/17 sailing on the crown princess. any thoughts on the ship? are cruise days earned on princess able to be applied to carnival and vice- versa? thank you for the positive feedback

I called princess today to get info and I learned that the $1 deposit is real! it can be applied to the current "twice is nice" promotion, and it is only a one day sale!! I appreciate most of your responses!! thank you so very much. while not new to cruising, I am new to princess. I'm looking at the 4/2/17 sailing on the crown princess. any thoughts on the ship? are cruise days earned on princess able to be applied to carnival and vice- versa? thank you for the positive feedback

Sorry to say...the earned days are Not shared. ANY Princess ship you sail will be a nice ship.....

AWARNING :eek:

Once you sail with Princess. ...It will be HARD to stop or go back to another cruise line:D

Consider this your LAST and ONLY warning.

:)

P.S.

Take a look at the Halloween cruise from NY on the Regal October 27th. ....There's a YouTube video done by Princess on that cruise.

Edited by blkspy

a cruise ship can spin around in circles in the Delaware river as far as I'm concerned. I just like to cruise!!!!

Go to YouTube and this is the title.

Regal Princess October 2015 Halloween Cruise

You'll enjoy it.

Booked my cruise for next January! Jan 8, Regal Princess.

To the earlier poster who was complaining about this being a "gimmick" and forcing people to go into debt-isn't ALL advertising a gimmick to get you to depart with your money? I would have booked a cruise for around this time anyway, and this promo got me to book sooner rather than later. I have until the end of October to save up for this cruise.

Happy cruising all!