What Royal Caribbean did to a dying cancer patient...

loislanee

This is a heartbreaking story that is now getting media attention. Please avoid Royal Caribbean. I have sailed with them several times and usually loved them. But, when our friend Derek Kinner was diagnosed with lung and brain cancer, we chipped in to send him on his dream trip. He is not well-traveled and wasn't told to bring more than his driver's license, so he was not allowed to board. His health has quickly declined. Royal will not refund his money an only offered him 50% off on a future cruise, which he is too ill to do. His doctor verifies everything. Here is a television and news story on him. Please share. http://www.firstcoastnews.com/%E2%80%A6/man-dying-of-cance%E2%80%A6/57618972

#royalcaribbean #royalcaribbeaninternational

With all due respect, since you mentioned that this gentleman was not well traveled, then it was up to the folks that were helping him make the arrangements to find out what documentation was needed at the time of boarding. You, yourself, having sailed with RCI several times as you stated, should have known what was required to board.

In this case it was absolutely necessary to take responsibility for someone else.

Edited by cruisenfever

Your title is very misleading. RCI didn't do anything to him. This would have happened had he tried to board any cruise ship on any cruise line as it's the law. If he booked via a TA, they should have made sure he knew what to bring. If he booked himself, he should have read the documentation. In reality, the fact he has cancer is terrible, but has nothing to do with what happened.

Some people always want to blame the "big, bad corporation" when in this case and many others, it's a personal responsibility issue.

I agree with pp, if you have cruised and you helped set up the trip, isn't some of the responsibility on you to make sure he knew what to expect and what was required? That's what's heartbreaking.

And, as often happens, the very first post by someone is to complain. Welcome to CC.

Edited by BND

What Royal Caribbean did for a dying cancer patient was to bend their own policy and offer him credit towards another cruise. I am sorry for him that he will not be able to take advantage of their offer. Of course they could not violate the law and let him board without the proper documentation.

Derek sounds like an amazing man and it sounds like his loss will affect many. He is lucky to have friends like you.

What I think is a damn shame is the fact the media is capitalizing on his condition to tell a sensationalized story. Proper documentation is required by federal law and without it, RCI....every cruise line for that matter....has no say in the matter. I'm sorry for what this man is going through. This really sucks and I don't wish it upon anyone. But as sad as it is to say it, fault lies on him....or on his travel companions if he's incapable of getting the proper info.

Edited to add....Judging by what you said, this sounds more like your fault, so how about not trying to pass blame on to the big, bad corporation and accept a little responsibility for failing your friend....

OP: "we chipped in to send him on his dream trip. He is not well-traveled and wasn't told to bring more than his driver's license"
Edited by Aquahound

This is a heartbreaking story that is now getting media attention. Please avoid Royal Caribbean. I have sailed with them several times and usually loved them. But, when our friend Derek Kinner was diagnosed with lung and brain cancer, we chipped in to send him on his dream trip. He is not well-traveled and wasn't told to bring more than his driver's license, so he was not allowed to board. His health has quickly declined. Royal will not refund his money an only offered him 50% off on a future cruise, which he is too ill to do. His doctor verifies everything. Here is a television and news story on him. Please share. http://www.firstcoastnews.com/%E2%80%A6/man-dying-of-cance%E2%80%A6/57618972

I am very sorry that your friend is sick and only wish him peace.

Since you have sailed with Royal "several times" I'm not sure why you were not advising him while booking him on this cruise. This comes directly from Royal's website. It is the governments guideline, so I fail to see why this is reflecting badly on the cruiseline.

s.gif

s.gif

s.gif

s.gif

Travel Documentation

Please take a few minutes to familiarize yourself with the required travel documents. The requirements described below are required by government regulations and policies. They are subject to change without notice.

Royal Caribbean International strongly recommends that all guests travel with a passport that is valid for at least 6 months beyond the end of the cruise.

It is the sole responsibility of the guest to identify and obtain all required travel documents for the entire cruise vacation and have them available when necessary. These appropriate, valid travel documents - passports, visas, family legal documents and inoculation certificates - are required for boarding and re-entry into the United States and other countries.

Guests who do not possess the proper documentation may be prevented from boarding their flight or ship or from entering a country and may be subject to fines.

No refunds will be given to individuals who fail to bring proper documentation.

For quick access to relevant information, choose one of the options below:

Edited by croosieloosie

I usually do not side with the cruise lines however they didn't do anything wrong.

Any cruise line would have turned him down.

The guy or his friends should have known this.

Having a birth certificate or passport is a no-brainer.

And they did try to work with him.

Attempted cheap shot against the Royal, I'm not falling for it.

I doubt anyone else will...

Edited by matj2000

This is ridiculous.

Proper documentation is required to travel. No cruiseline or airline will allow a passenger to board without it. This is clearly stated in the travel documents. It is the travelers responsibility to know the policy. Who travels without ID, especially in this post-911 era???

You are blaming and trashing the cruiseline for your own ignorance, and for something that is industry-standard and not specific to them.

Shame on YOU

Edited by DonnaK

I checked one of our old cruise paperwork documents, and it does recommend a valid passport.

If it's a closed circuit trip, you can get away w/ a birth certificate. But if you get left on one of the islands, you'll need a passport to enter.

Edited by knittinggirl

ISIS SUICIDE BOMBERS: Let's pretend to be sick...they'll let us on the ship, plane....etc. I try very hard not to be rude....but this is the most bizarre post I have seen.

Take your "one post" and put it where the sun don't shine.

Edited by champagne123
nnnn

I will start by saying how badly I feel for the patient. It was stress that he didn't need.

Having said that, who did the reservation? If it's OP who has been a CC member for 5+ years they certainly should have known to have a BC and ID or passport.

Many of my friends/acquaintances know that I cruise frequently and say something about wanting to take one. One of the first questions I ask is "Do you have a passport?" In this case I can see where the BC/ID is the way to go but the question about proper travel ID is still valid. Personally I would have spent the extra for an expedited passport on the real chance of needing to be evacuated back to the US>

It really seems like OP wants to avoid some personal responsibility (and feeling of guilt) for the event.

Just my 2¢

I'm sorry that you find a close friend in the health that he is and I can understand you wanting to do everything that you can to make him as happy as possible.

With that being said, this is not the cruise lines responsibility - they make the requirements plainly clear across their cruise confirmations, website, brochures etc.. Any cruise line would have done the same thing. It is the responsibility of those travelling to ensure they have the correct paperwork in place and if they are unable, the people organising the trip should take responsibility.

I hope that you are able to find an experience that your friend can partake in that will bring him some happiness, in place of the cruise.

Edited by Cruisingthesuitelife

Don't you people and Royal Caribbean have any compassion in your heart? Granted without the proper documentation they could not let him board the ship. It's a multibillion dollar company, to refund the gentleman's fare, due to the circumstances, would have been the right thing to do. I bet they piss away more than that on every ship, every day. Offering a future cruise credit to a dying man is a slap in the face.

grandgeezer: Don't you people and Royal Caribbean have any compassion in your heart? Granted without the proper documentation they could not let him board the ship. It's a multibillion dollar company, to refund the gentleman's fare, due to the circumstances, would have been the right thing to do. I bet they piss away more than that on every ship, every day. Offering a future cruise credit to a dying man is a slap in the face.

I'm sure everyone here has compassion. Of course it would be a nice gesture to refund, but that's a bit of a slippery slope. Besides, how is it a slap in his face when, according to the OP, he didn't pay for his cruise? The Op and others chipped in for his cruise and only told him to take a drivers license. I have plenty of compassion but I'm not on board with your sentiments in this case.

Exploitation at its finest. This isn't Royal's responsibility, as their documentation requirements are clearly outlined, well, everywhere. As his friends who are, by your own admission, better-traveled than he, YOU should have made sure your friend knew what would be required to board. Royal went above and beyond by offering 50% off a future cruise for a mistake that was not theirs.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Royal is definitely NOT at fault here, and I'm afraid I find OP's post a bit hard to take give the length of time OP has been a member of Cruise Critic. Many experienced cruisers would have been all over a friend like this making sure absolutely everything was in place for him.

That said, the sad irony of a future cruise credit does sting a bit. Even though Royal bears no responsibility in this matter, a full refund might have been a more humane alternative given the extreme nature of the man's illness. Opinions will differ on this, but I bet someone up the chain might have foreseen that such an action might have been a better option to take.

While I feel sorry for this man, Royal Caribbean did not do anything to this man. They have no control over what documents are required to board the ship, they have to follow the laws of the country they are sailing from. Responsibility lies with those who bought the cruise for this gentleman. You yourself said he is not well traveled and you have sailed before, you know what documents you need to board a ship. You should have made sure he had all the documents he needed to board the ship.

OP - I'm sorry about your friend's illness. But OP - you're wrong. Plain wrong. He didn't have proper I.D. - period. Since you claim to be an experienced cruiser, you should have ensured he had all of the correct documentation. You should be blaming yourself - not RCI.

I do believe that compassion for the cancer patient is there in most of these posts. And yes, RCCL could have done better by refunding the cruise fare to those who paid for it.

There is little compassion though for the OP who it seems was involved in the booking of the cruise. Since this is the only post OP has had in 5+ years on CC it's entirely possible we will never know what really happened with the booking.

In the end it's a sad circumstance all the way around.

Charlie

What I think is a damn shame is the fact the media is capitalizing on his condition to tell a sensationalized story. Proper documentation is required by federal law and without it, RCI....every cruise line for that matter....has no say in the matter. I'm sorry for what this man is going through. This really sucks and I don't wish it upon anyone. But as sad as it is to say it, fault lies on him....or on his travel companions if he's incapable of getting the proper info.

Edited to add....Judging by what you said, this sounds more like your fault, so how about not trying to pass blame on to the big, bad corporation and accept a little responsibility for failing your friend....

Exactly this!!!