We need a new ship in Boston!!!!!

hladygirl

Well you see you can hop on an aircraft and be in nyc in less than an hour..

being from florida its easy for me to say take a flight. But I know a direct flight from Boston is about 2 hours and 15 min. Fly in the off season if you can and the flights are cheap leave on a Thursday cheap to fly and spend a couple days near one of the ports.

Try cruising in europe then you would have somthing to moan about. I have just priced a cruise from Boston to Bredmunda 7 days and it came out at £400 or just over 400 euros plus parking ect., You are very lucky in the USA you have very cheap cruises big ports and lots of places to vist in 7 days to go to most of europe you need at least 14 days and this would come in around about $1500 for the bottom priced rooms plus parking and tips ect.

So don't knock what you have just make the best of it and carry on cruiseing while it is still there.

I agree. It would be nice to have some more (newer) options closer to home.

I don't see why both Boston and Bermuda can't handle larger ships. The NCL Breakaway sails to Bermuda from NY and RCCL Anthem Of The Seas sails to Boston from NY.

No reason why either of those ships or equivalent ships can't sail from Boston.

Bermuda can dock the larger ships at the Dockyard, but I'm not quite sure about Boston Harbor. Mid-sized may be all that Boston can handle for now.

Just a thought....

Holland America does sail from Boston to Bermuda on the Veendam. A bit pricey, but at least another option. Plus, the ship ports at Hamilton, not the Dockyard.

FYI...I also loved taking the Spirit out of Boston...wish she could come back here.

Been to Bermuda seven times on the Dream, Spirit, and Dawn. Boston needs a new ship and not the Dawns sister ship either. It would be nice to be able to go into Hamilton or St Georges again. The Dream and the Spirt were both great ships. Boston doesn't need a mega ship. Try getting on or off the ship with 4,000 other people and going through customs, trying to grab a cab, getting on the ferry or the bus and not having a token or transportation pass yet. It's bad enough with 2,000 people. As for those of you who say just drive to NYC or New Jersey. Check out what the tolls, hotels, parking for a week and "other fees" are. You need a mortgage just for cab from JFK or LaGuardia, or Newark. Bringing your luggage through Penn Station is no picnic either. I'm not saying Boston is inexpensive but, Most people in New England avoid NYC and the Metro area at all cost.:cool:

kind of disagree with you on the whole avoid part. I was booked on the dawn to bermuda but switched to nyc for a bigger ship...nyc is easy from boston. Take the train if you dont want to park.

also, if you cannot handle 2,000 people in one location you must never have gone to fenway or Gillette for a game.

I would love to have the Spirit back in Boston. She's such an amazing ship! I agree with the OP, it's time for the Dawn to be switched out. Send her to Alaska since her forward penthouses offer such spectacular views. Let us have a Jewel-class ship or the Spirit back! :) I would also be in favor of having an alternate itinerary besides just Bermuda.

Bermuda can dock the larger ships at the Dockyard, but I'm not quite sure about Boston Harbor. Mid-sized may be all that Boston can handle for now.

Would you consider RCCL Anthem Of The Seas a mid-sized ship? Royal has several cruises for Anthem to Canada/New England docking at Black Falcon this year.

We are lucky to have ships sailing from Boston. I've sailed HAL ships many times Canada/NE and last summer Dawn and I'm thrilled to be able to board a short car ride from home. :)

I would love to have the Spirit back in Boston. She's such an amazing ship! I agree with the OP, it's time for the Dawn to be switched out. Send her to Alaska since her forward penthouses offer such spectacular views. Let us have a Jewel-class ship or the Spirit back! :) I would also be in favor of having an alternate itinerary besides just Bermuda.

The Dawn no longer has that wonderful Spinnaker Lounge at the front of the ship.

That amazing view would be so important for Alaska.

For Bermuda, not so much.

We had one of those DOS suites that were put in the original Spinnaker Lounge space for our first NCL cruise.

It wasn't until we were on the Pearl a couple of months later that we realized what a special public area had been lost.

I will be happy to see what refurbishments are done on the Dawn if we book for the summer run to Bermuda.

I know Blue Lagoon is changing to O'Sheehan's and Moderno is moving up mext to Gagney's. Are they turning Pearly Kings into a Sports Pub?

What other things are they switching out?

I know people who only cruise from their "home port", yes it is convenient

but the same ship and same destination gets old!

So, drive to NYC or Bayonne! A flight to FLL is only 3hrs. From there you have so many choices out of Port Everglade or Port of Miami. It's really not that much of a hassle.

Black Falcon can handle larger ships but I don't know if NCL will commit a newer ship for that market.

• 8 months later...

I have to agree with the OP. The Dawn has been in Boston for quite a few years now. It would be nice to have something different to try from this port. I've seen 3 cruise ships at the Black Falcon Terminal at the same time with lots of distance in the channel, so a larger ship can definitely be accommodated in Boston. My parents loved sailing on one of the smaller ships and going right into St. George. I know that they don't really do that any longer, but it sounded so neat.

I definitely feel for people in other areas where sailing from your home port isn't an option. We're not trying to be brats, just making the comment that since we do have a cruise port here and a ship here, we wouldn't mind if NCL switched things around.

I noticed that the Dawn is out of Puerto Rico next winter. For summer 2018 the only cruises that are listed are Hawaii. I wonder if NCL is planning on some changes?

I am just here to pile on the must be nice to have that problem group. Honestly, most of us fly just to get to a port, please realize that you have it nice. I am sure NCL is probably not the only cruise line you have either, so you have other options.

I know from my family that newark to florida off season is super cheap, maybe boston is the same? Fly down to one of the many ports they have, it will also open up new ports of call to you. Most of all, enjoy it no mater the ship. You are on a vacation, or better yet, and adventure. :)

Edited by oteixeira

I have been on the Dawn 5 times and although it is a nice ship , I am tired of it. We need something different in Boston to sail on. I love NCL and want to continue to book with them. I love to leave out of Boston since I live so close. Love their repo cruises in the fall, but I am so sick of the Dawn! I am now platinum with ncl but am looking at other cruise lines out of Boston just to have something different to look forward to. Come on NCL mix it up! RCL has a repo this fall out of Boston and the itinerary is much better. Price might be a little higher but just having a different ship will be worth it. FYI- The spirit is my favorite ship. she was awesome out of Boston.

My Daughter lives in Boston and we are likely to do the Canadian cruise that goes to Quebec City at some point. My Daughter did a cruise on the Dawn and thought that is was her least favorite NCL ship.

Still, perhaps you should take some cruises from another port. It would be better than taking the same cruise over and over again.

Maybe the Jewel or Pearl since the Bliss is headed to Alaska. Would NCL have those 3 ships in Alaska at the same time? Looking forward to the 2018 schedule being released.

The Jewel is going down under next year and there is speculation it will stay there for awhile but who knows.

Since the Pearl is the go to charter ship, I doubt it would be home ported in Boston. It's heading to New Orleans as of Fall 2017 after the summer 2017 Alaska season.

When people talk about what a port can handle, the issue is often depth, not width of the ship.

As for docking at the cities in Bermuda, you'd need a much smaller ship or to tender in. NCL is out of the small ship game for good I imagine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

After 3 cruises out of Boston on the DAWN, I have cruised the DAWN out of NOLA 3 times, and once again from Boston. Can you tell I love the DAWN?

We have cruised the Dawn out of NOLA and we loved it too! Now it's been refurbished so it's probably even better!

We have cruised the Dawn out of NOLA and we loved it too! Now it's been refurbished so it's probably even better!

We were on the cruise right before the refurb and again in October. The new Mexican restaurant Los Lobos is great!! I miss Pearly Kings and hardly ever saw anyone in the new Cellar....O'Sheehans is a great pub!! I loved being able to grab a quick sandwich while at the bar!! The new cushioned chairs around the pool are very comfy and I like the addition of the high top tables between the pool and the bar.

I wish they would go to another port, I love Bermuda but have been there and to upstate NE and Canada a lot. It would e nice if they could go to Bahamas or another place. Maybe too hot for the summer months but nice in the fall or early spring. Not complaining just thinking....