Brilliance versus Independence of the Seas

Hello all - we find ourselves with 5 spare days on 26 March, so thought we would get some winter sunshine on a cruise from FLA. We have a choice of 2 cruises on that day and we don't mind either itinerary. The problem is I believe this is Spring Break time and also US and UK schools are out, so I am looking for the ship with the least amount of kids aboard.

Should I choose Brilliance of the Seas (2,500pax) or Independence of the Seas (4,500 pax)? Obviously the Independence is larger and has more kids activities, but would this mean that you wouldn't see kids all day, as opposed to the smaller ship, Brilliance.

Need advice please.

Thanks

Sandy

I am not sure one can answer that, considering the size of each, number of decks, the passengers are spread out all over the ship, The one time you would see a lot of children at one time on board would be at the pool. Spring break is staggered and not all children and teens will be out at the same time. You possibly will see more on the Independence because there is more to do. I would also think mid April you could see more.

Edited by Desert Cruizers

Hello all - we find ourselves with 5 spare days on 26 March, so thought we would get some winter sunshine on a cruise from FLA. We have a choice of 2 cruises on that day and we don't mind either itinerary. The problem is I believe this is Spring Break time and also US and UK schools are out, so I am looking for the ship with the least amount of kids aboard.

Should I choose Brilliance of the Seas (2,500pax) or Independence of the Seas (4,500 pax)? Obviously the Independence is larger and has more kids activities, but would this mean that you wouldn't see kids all day, as opposed to the smaller ship, Brilliance.

Need advice please.

Thanks

Sandy

I'd go with Brilliance. No FlowRider on Brilliance, so less attractive to younger folks.

we prefer Independance-- more to do and better flow for full ship (except disembarkation). Both are nice though and agree with Bob-- fewer kids on likely on Brillance --still we like the Freedom class ships the most--they strike a nice balance on size and management of people (ergonomic layout for crowd flow)

I agree...Indy over Brilliance.. If you want an ADULT Solarium where you can tan, Indy is it. Brilliance has a "retractable' roof that they never open...meaning if you want to catch some rays, you'll do it at the main pool.

Bear in mind that Easter is in March this year, so the week before and after will probably have more kids than normal on all ships!

Edited by cb at sea

I agree...Indy over Brilliance.. If you want an ADULT Solarium where you can tan, Indy is it. Brilliance has a "retractable' roof that they never open...meaning if you want to catch some rays, you'll do it at the main pool.

Bear in mind that Easter is in March this year, so the week before and after will probably have more kids than normal on all ships!

While I agree with CB about the roof and tanning, I think you will find that having the roof affords a more comfortable, climate controlled area on Brilliance.

The usual helpful response - OP asks about kids and there's a response about tanning in the solarium............:rolleyes:

To OP: Brilliance is probably a better choice to avoid crowds and kids. And it's a beautiful ship:)

Just did IOS in Jan and BOS in Feb.....while IOS may have more kids, they also have many more things and areas geared towards kids...meaning then have a place to go instead of where the adults are.

On my recent Brilliance sailing...hot tubs were full of kids....many people commenting it was the kids bathtubs for the week....lol Same with the pool..only one on Brilliance for everyone to share and use.

IOS is much bigger so imho much easier to find other things to do and places to go that may not be as busy or as many kids around..

So while the IOS will have more kids for sure, I still think it wont be as noticeable....but of course it depends on lots of factors

I haven't been on these particular ships, but I've been on similar ships, Voyager and Liberty. They are both great. I think it would depend on what you guys want to do. The additional amenities aboard the Indy (i.e. the flow rider) may pull kids away from other areas, such as the hot tubs. I would say don't worry about the kids. I say that, but I worry about the kids every time I cruise because I am in my thirties with not kids, so while I don't want to travel on ships that typically have an "older" age range, I also don't want a lot of kids around. I've never had a problem with the kids on board, but it could probably happen on any ship. Actually, the coolest group of adults I ever met on a cruise was on the Liberty. I had an amazing group of table mates that I actually kept in contact with afterwards.

So with all that being said, I would pick the ship with amenities and/or staterooms that appeal the most to you. If I could have a bigger room for the same price on one ship over another or the same room for a lower price, I would choose that. Both ships are nice and big, and I don't think you will get bored on a 5 day cruise on either one.

I would choose Indy over Brilliance. We found the flow of people is managed a lot better on the Freedom class ships over the Radiance class ships. Yes, there will be more kids on Indy, but there is more for them to do so they aren't under foot as much.

If the price difference was huge, I would go with the least expensive cruise, but if the price difference is negligible, I would go Indy all the way.

Ugh, so sorry I thought Brilliance was a Voyager class ship. Since I now see that it is Radiance class, I would personally choose the Indy. However, I've never been on a Radiance class ship. I know people that love them, but for me, I like all the added amenities of a larger ship. 😀