Wi-fi - any luck getting a better deal?

Audiosolo

Has anyone had any luck getting a discount or credit from Princess on the Wi-fi packages to compete with Carnival etc that are offering much better rates now? Any tips etc?

Nope, they charge what they charge.

I've seen them advertise sme Specials but never heard of anyone asking for a better deal and getting it.

I have not booked yet, so I'm thinking more of a call to them reviewing options and mentioning other cruises with better Wi-fi options and see if they will sweeten the pot as it were. I agree once you have booked or are on-board there is no reason for them to to any deals.

Has anyone had any luck getting a discount or credit from Princess on the Wi-fi packages to compete with Carnival etc that are offering much better rates now? Any tips etc?
Best tip is to take more Princess cruises. Unlike Carnival, Princess offers a very generous perk of an Internet package with just five cruises or 50 cruise days. Which means that many or most Princess passengers onboard already have free Internet.

Platinum members and above get free internet minutes with the amount depending on the length of the cruise. That is the best deal of all. Princess has internet packages with the more time you buy the cheaper price per minute. Other than that just expect to pay for your internet surfing.

On our past few cruises I have noticed an embarkation day special in the Patter. This last time it was: "Purchase an Internet Time Plan today and receive up to 40 additional minutes FREE!" (Princess' bold type, btw).

I hate that using the internet is so expensive. we've gotten used to using very little. So we disconnect from the world on vacation. Not so bad because we are usually with immediate family on vacation, but what about when I'm not with my husband and kids? My next cruise is with my cousins. I will do my best to not try to connect, but disconnecting from the world is difficult (work responsibilities and such).

I have not seen any special discounts or specials that make it easier to stay connected with the outside world. I know other cruise lines have deal (Carnival in particular with their social media package) but sadly Princess does not have this.

Just need to prepare myself when we are on a cruise.

I hate that using the internet is so expensive. we've gotten used to using very little. So we disconnect from the world on vacation. Not so bad because we are usually with immediate family on vacation, but what about when I'm not with my husband and kids? My next cruise is with my cousins. I will do my best to not try to connect, but disconnecting from the world is difficult (work responsibilities and such).

I have not seen any special discounts or specials that make it easier to stay connected with the outside world. I know other cruise lines have deal (Carnival in particular with their social media package) but sadly Princess does not have this.

Each cruise line (like each airline) has different points that attract different passengers. You make your choices according to what is important to you. I, personally, like what Princess has to offer and so they are my cruise line of choice.

Saying the above, much depends on which itinerary you are doing. If Alaska, you will have internet service from your cell phone carrier every day you are in port. The same applies to a California Coastal. If you are taking a Hawaii cruise, you will have internet service when you reach the islands. If not, any Starbucks, McDonalds, etc will offer free wi-fi in a foreign port.

Edited by cr8tiv1

I have not booked yet, so I'm thinking more of a call to them reviewing options and mentioning other cruises with better Wi-fi options and see if they will sweeten the pot as it were. I agree once you have booked or are on-board there is no reason for them to to any deals.

You are wasting your call, they aren't going to match other cruise lines prices. Go on Princess more and get free wifi like we do is about you are going to get.

I prefer Princess but we just took a b2b 21 day cruise on Carnival. It was GREAT not to worry about minutes! for $90 for the 11 day and another for the 10 day we had unlimited minutes. We used more than we would have with our free minutes on Princess.

On our past few cruises I have noticed an embarkation day special in the Patter. This last time it was: "Purchase an Internet Time Plan today and receive up to 40 additional minutes FREE!" (Princess' bold type, btw).

If you buy the plan in advance of the cruise, you get twice the number of free minutes that you get with the embarkation day special.

I have not booked yet, so I'm thinking more of a call to them reviewing options and mentioning other cruises with better Wi-fi options and see if they will sweeten the pot as it were.

The response will be the same as if you called the IRS today and asked for a better tax rate when you file this spring.

If it so important to be connected to your work, while you are on vacation, maybe you can talk your employer into paying for the internet access. Another option is to use an internet cafe when in a port. The internet on the ships are extremely slow and eat up minutes fast due to the lack of speed of the internet on the ships.

I'm the owner of my small business, so that's why I'm looking to see if there are deals - I have to pay for it :) It's more to just check how things are going etc.. not to do work per say.

That said, I can say that a cruise line that has a better internet price/service would likely have a big edge in winning my business. Even from a personal level of being able to read the newspapers, magazines etc online that I like to and social media etc. I imagine we will see a pretty big shift in the next 12-18 months in both pricing and services offered by lines.

I prefer Princess but we just took a b2b 21 day cruise on Carnival. It was GREAT not to worry about minutes! for $90 for the 11 day and another for the 10 day we had unlimited minutes. We used more than we would have with our free minutes on Princess.

Wouldn't it have been nice if they kept unlimited internet minutes with a suite. I am sure the "Carnival" was just a fluke and you will grace Princess with your future cruises. (sarcasm here)

I'm the owner of my small business, so that's why I'm looking to see if there are deals - I have to pay for it :) It's more to just check how things are going etc.. not to do work per say.

That said, I can say that a cruise line that has a better internet price/service would likely have a big edge in winning my business. Even from a personal level of being able to read the newspapers, magazines etc online that I like to and social media etc. I imagine we will see a pretty big shift in the next 12-18 months in both pricing and services offered by lines.

Thanks OP for coming back to check on your thread. Always appreciate follow up posts.

Wouldn't it have been nice if they kept unlimited internet minutes with a suite. I am sure the "Carnival" was just a fluke and you will grace Princess with your future cruises. (sarcasm here)

Thanks OP for coming back to check on your thread. Always appreciate follow up posts.

Sure would have been nice!!! That was one of the big draws for us to get our WS cabin (notice how I said our!) While on our Carnival cruise the internet was slow although not as bad as I have seen it sometimes on a Princess cruise. The great thing though is there was no stress about it eating into our minutes. They actually have more than one plan (can buy it just by the day, can buy a plan that lets you go on social media only, a plan that lets you go on the internet and then another plan that is supposed to be faster and supposedly you can view videos and Skype).

We definitely want to cruise Princess again.

Edited by dickinson

Here are some tips.

Windows based laptops/computers are always trying to download updates. Turn this feature off, on all devices, unless you have fast, unlimited internet access on the ship.

Set your email to NOT download images.

Unsubscribe to all the crap emails that fill your inbox on a daily basis before the trip. Oh, and change your email password right before the trip. Change it again when back home.

Depending on the device, download an app that lets you download info such as news articles, save, log off, then read later offline. Something like Pocket from an app store.

Read and Respond to emails while offline, then log on and hit send. Log off.

Avoid signing into important things...like your bank account or credit card.

Sending/receiving photos on a ship without FAST internet connection is almost hopeless, wait until you get home.

Cell phones....Turn off roaming or put in airplane mode to avoid charges while traveling internationally, or, purchase a month-long International plan with your phone service provider. Accepting, as well as sending, text (especially with photos) will incur incredible costs without an international/roaming plan. Some people use a social site that includes messenger, to text over internet in order to send important messages.

Use internet during slow times...early morning or dinner time.

Bring your own paper if printing airline tickets the day before departure. Most airlines print out 7 to 10 sheets! Most ship internet printers are paper-depleted with no one in sight to replenish on the last day.

Never forget to log off if paying for minutes individually. Go to Guest Services if you forget. They usually give you a credit.

I got thinking about this and remembered that Rogers (Cell provider in Canada) has a plan now called Roam Like Home, where for $10 per day that you use your phone in the Caribean you get all the same features, time etc as you would at home. So in my case unlimited texting and calling in Canada, and 6GB of data a month.

So for port days that should allow me to check emails etc easily without using anything on boat while we are in port and for the first bit in the morning and once we depart. For a lot less that the wifi charge.

I can then setup any replies etc I need to when I want and either send them the next time we are in port via the phone or a wifi spot on shore, or use a limited # of minutes on ship wifi to send replies.