Why cant I post my review?

martini12345

Im finding it strange that I cant post my review with Royal Caribbean's Brilliance of the Sea. My husband and I just got off this ship with our kids and their spouses everybody was disappointed that Royal once again skipped the Cayman Islands this keeps happening and we are pretty pissed not to mention I got food poisoning on the first day at sea from the lettuce. Does anyone have an answer as to why ( and there was nothing wrong with the weather)

If you are trying to post your review to the Member Cruise Review section you write it up and submit it using that tool. It is then reviewed by Cruise Critic and within around 5 to 7 days published.

You will get an e mail when it is published.

Keith

Ships miss ports for all sorts of reasons and seeing Grand Cayman is a tender port, perhaps the swells were too high to tender safely?

What reason was given for missing the port?

Curious how you know you got food poisoning from the lettuce? Were many people ill with food poisoning?

Edited by sail7seas

The others are correc that a regular non-message board review takes a few days for the staff to review it. I had trouble a few years ago uploading it because it was a rather large document and just went into cruise critic using another web browser. Try that.

Not knowing all the details, we find the OPs post a bit strange. Unless the only thing one eats for a day is lettuce, how would you know exactly what you ate caused "food poisoning." And as to missing Grand Cayman, this is not the fault of RCI or any other cruise line. Sea, wind and tidal conditions dictate whether a cruise line can tender....with safety being the most important issue. The decision to skip this port is often done after the Captain speaks with the harbormaster. We have actually been on a ship that missed this port because the local harbor master made a decision that is was too dangerous to dock the tenders at the pier. This has been a very strange weather year (many experts blame El Nino) with the Caribbean having sea conditions often not conducive to tender operations. On the other hand, if you had spent the winter with us in Puerto Vallarta you would have enjoyed Jan and Feb without a single day of rain and only 2 cloudy days (all winter). While El Nino has some bad effects on certain areas, the Bay of Bandaras seems to benefit from this cyclical weather pattern

Hank

Not knowing all the details, we find the OPs post a bit strange. Unless the only thing one eats for a day is lettuce, how would you know exactly what you ate caused "food poisoning." And as to missing Grand Cayman, this is not the fault of RCI or any other cruise line. Sea, wind and tidal conditions dictate whether a cruise line can tender....with safety being the most important issue....

Absolutely agreed. I can guarantee that if this review was posted as a thread on the RCI board, it would end up being locked or deleted. OP seems to be swinging right out of the gate, in my opinion (and I am entitled to it :p ) - many members don't take kindly to reviews that are so very obviously negatively biased. *shrug*

Let me first say this there is no reason to be rude Hiltner and Langley Cruisers did I ask for ignorant answers? I simply asked why they are always missing that port it wasn't the first time for us and it wasn't the first time for other passengers. People sure are tough sitting behind their computers I guess everybody that belongs to Cruise Critic has perfect cruises, excuse me for asking a question I will never ask another one again.

martini12345, I'm concerned about your comment regarding getting food poisoning from the lettuce. The cruise lines generally buy pre-washed, bagged lettuce and the provisioning is done in the Miami-Ft,Lauderdale area - if that was your ship's embarkation port. These same products go to nursing homes, schools, hospitals, restaurants and other mass food production facilities. It could be consumed by people with depressed immune systems and the resulting illness could be so serious that they might die. If the lettuce was indeed tainted, it would be best for you to report this incident to Royal Caribbean's home office as well as the CDC. Tainted lettuce could necessitate a massive recall of all lettuce products in the batch that were distributed within the area and an inspection of the plant at which it was prepared. In addition, the ship needs to be inspected because the bacteria on the lettuce could easily spread throughout the buffet and galley area making the whole kitchen unsafe. Please report this incident to the CDC as it is too dangerous to let pass without notifying the proper authorities.

Here is the number for RCCL's corporate headquarters: 305-539-6000

This is the number for the CDC for Ft. Lauderdale: (954) 356-6650

Please do not hesitate to make these important calls as you may save someone's life.

Edited by SuiteTraveler

martini12345, I'm concerned about your comment regarding getting food poisoning from the lettuce. The cruise lines generally buy pre-washed, bagged lettuce and the provisioning is done in the Miami-Ft,Lauderdale area -

so true

http://www.cdc.gov/listeria/outbreaks/bagged-salads-01-16/advice-consumers.html

Bagged salad was removed from the shelves here in Canada

Let me first say this there is no reason to be rude Hiltner and Langley Cruisers did I ask for ignorant answers? I simply asked why they are always missing that port it wasn't the first time for us and it wasn't the first time for other passengers. People sure are tough sitting behind their computers I guess everybody that belongs to Cruise Critic has perfect cruises, excuse me for asking a question I will never ask another one again.

Excuse me, but nobody is being "rude" or giving "ignorant" answers. Folks are simply giving factual answers or reasoned opinions...and if they do not agree with your feelings then it is simply a difference of opinion (or facts). You did put the blame on a cruise line (and it does not even matter which line) for missing a tender port! If your cruise line had allowed you to tender, and you had been injured trying to get in or out of the boat in swells, then we suppose you would have been here on CC criticizing the cruise line for allowing you to tender. Many years ago I was injured (a very large and painful hematoma) on a Sitmar Cruise Lines tender....in the days when most cruise lines were much less risk adverse. And no, we did not complain (or post something on the issue blaming the cruise line) because we understood that the risk was reasonable and stuff happens.

And yes, we did also question your comment blaming RCI lettuce for what you called "food poisoning." Our question was not about you being sick but simply questioning how you could have possibly known which product caused the sickness. Perhaps it was the lettuce, but it could have also been dressing (if you used dressing), a dirty glass, a dirty plate, or any other product that you ate or drink. If the cruise ship had tainted lettuce (and it happens not just on cruise ships) one would expect nearly everyone who used that product to also have food poisoning. And when that happens (there have been similar issues in past years with Chi Chi's and it took a long and detailed investigation before even the experts were sure it was the lettuce) there is nobody more concerned then the cruise lines (and their insurance carriers. We do have some idea of what the cruise lines do to make sure their food products are safe, but nothing is every 100% certain with food products. As an example, RCI (and its companies) buys all their beef in North America and goes to great expense to ship it all over the world (staged for each cruise ship)...rather then buying a local product that has not undergone their usual due diligence.

As to perfect cruises, after around 100 cruises (on 14 lines) and over 3 years on cruise ships (as a passenger) we have had plenty of complaints....some even about RCI. But we have never blamed a cruise for skipping a port because of safety concerns. As to you never "asking a question again" if that is your wish then so be it. But if you do decide to ask more questions or post more comments do not attack those who simply respond to your post. In case you haven't noticed, it is normal for there to many different opinions to just about every issue here on CC.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

The incubation period for listeria varies from 3-70 days, it is highly unlikely that the op contacted it (if that is what s/he did have) on the first day aboard. In general, the incubation period for food poisoning bugs is greater than people imagine.

The incubation period for listeria varies from 3-70 days, it is highly unlikely that the op contacted it (if that is what s/he did have) on the first day aboard....

Not to mention we would have heard from others on the same cruise who were asking about food poisoning/sickness.