Pool chair/loungers ownership

Freefifi77

Hi i just got back from a Caribbean Cruise ( first time). I asked the people at the pool if anyone belonged to a towel, book and a bag that was on two chairs. Someone said that the stuff had been there since morning so I moved the stuff to a chair and used the loungers. Two hours later a couple showed up and got really upset at me. They called the deck person over and said I stole their stuff ( which was still sitting on chair ) They insisted that the chairs were first come first served and once someone puts their stuff there, then it is theirs no matter how long they are gone. I asked if they do this other places such as bar stools in a bar or dinner seats, theater seats etc. They said everyone knows the "pool rules". The deck hand didn't want to take sides, he just kept saying there is no written pool rules for chairs.

Was I wrong to move the stuff? I finally decided to let them use the chairs since I was there for almost two hours and I needed a drink. A big drink. I am not sure if I could allow a book to enjoy a lounge chair for a whole day while other humans had to do without. Seems really selfish.

?

Thanks for commenting,

Fiffy, the Fitzie Broad

Welcome to Cruise Critic. You should post this story on the board for the cruise line you were on; I would think you would receive near-unanimous praise for what you did.

Virtually every cruise line has a rule prohibiting saving of deck loungers and chairs (as well as seats in the theatre) stating that items left after a certain amount of time will be removed. Usually it is printed in the daily schedule you receive in your cabin each day. And while I understand that the deck hands are instructed not to exacerbate any conflicts, even if he didn't want to admit that saving chairs all day is against the rules he should have taken the lead to help those schmucks you rightfully displaced find a chair elsewhere. I would describe him with a word normally used for the feline species. (And I would have seriously considered escalating this while still onboard).

Edited by fishywood

It is a touchy issue on most Caribbean cruises. Most cruise lines have specific rules regarding saving loungers and these time limits usually vary from about 20 min to an hour. But the problem is that the deck crew is often reticent about actually enforcing time limits. We have a friend who has a great technique. If they see a an empty lounger for a long period of time, they simply take all the personal effects on that lounger to a deck staffer and tell them "we think somebody forgot this stuff and it probably should go to lost and found." Works every time.

Hank

Hi i just got back from a Caribbean Cruise ( first time). I asked the people at the pool if anyone belonged to a towel, book and a bag that was on two chairs. Someone said that the stuff had been there since morning so I moved the stuff to a chair and used the loungers. Two hours later a couple showed up and got really upset at me. They called the deck person over and said I stole their stuff ( which was still sitting on chair ) They insisted that the chairs were first come first served and once someone puts their stuff there, then it is theirs no matter how long they are gone. I asked if they do this other places such as bar stools in a bar or dinner seats, theater seats etc. They said everyone knows the "pool rules". The deck hand didn't want to take sides, he just kept saying there is no written pool rules for chairs.

Was I wrong to move the stuff? I finally decided to let them use the chairs since I was there for almost two hours and I needed a drink. A big drink. I am not sure if I could allow a book to enjoy a lounge chair for a whole day while other humans had to do without. Seems really selfish.

?

Thanks for commenting,

Fiffy, the Fitzie Broad

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

While I totally sympathize with you, I would have been reluctant to touch someone else's belongings. If there had been signs to the effect of having time limits on chairs being unoccupied, then I would have flagged down one of the crew to remove the personal belongings.

I've always wanted to get a group of folks together at say 6:00am and have them put a towel on every chair and then watch from the deck above when the chairhogs come down to hog their chair and see there are none available. I just think that would be a hoot. Of course, after they leave, we would take all the towels away, so that others can have the chairs.

On a similar subject, we were on a 14 day repositioning cruise on NCL last year and there were signs posted by the pool and on all of the hot tubs about children with diapers, even swimmers, not being allowed in the water. After 2 days of watching a family put their toddler into and out of the water and hot tub, I discretely asked a pool attendant what the rules were and pointed out the child. He said it wasn't his job to get involved. I then saw an officer walking by and asked him. He immediately told the family that the child was not allowed in the water. Their response was that they were in a suite and paid good money and they could do what they wanted. Who wants to get in a pool or hot tub with a swimmer diaper? They can leak. If you are going to make rules, employees should enforce them.

On a similar subject, we were on a 14 day repositioning cruise on NCL last year and there were signs posted by the pool and on all of the hot tubs about children with diapers, even swimmers, not being allowed in the water. After 2 days of watching a family put their toddler into and out of the water and hot tub, I discretely asked a pool attendant what the rules were and pointed out the child. He said it wasn't his job to get involved. I then saw an officer walking by and asked him. He immediately told the family that the child was not allowed in the water. Their response was that they were in a suite and paid good money and they could do what they wanted. Who wants to get in a pool or hot tub with a swimmer diaper? They can leak. If you are going to make rules, employees should enforce them.

The poor crew member was probably worried about a complaint on his record and no contract renewal.

Maybe about his tips too, when you live in tips you are unlikely to make a complaint.

This is not just a cruise ship issue....resort hotels have the same problem! By the way..the "rules" are usually posted...no one reads them!!

I'm sorry to disagree with you but there actually are some 'rule followers' and some of do follow 'chair hogger rules'. If I am going to be away from my lounger for more than 30 minutes, I give up the chair. If it is still available when I return, great. If not, I look for another one.

The poor crew member was probably worried about a complaint on his record and no contract renewal.

Maybe about his tips too, when you live in tips you are unlikely to make a complaint.

A Hotel Manager on a ship once said to me "We are not in the business of fighting with our guests" and that is the reality. Unless it is an unsafe or illegal activity, it is rare too many arbitrary rules will be rigidly enforced.

I've always wanted to get a group of folks together at say 6:00am and have them put a towel on every chair and then watch from the deck above when the chairhogs come down to hog their chair and see there are none available. I just think that would be a hoot. Of course, after they leave, we would take all the towels away, so that others can have the chairs.

I bet a number of those chairhogs would just move whatever was on the loungers (and not give two thoughts about doing so).

A Hotel Manager on a ship once said to me "We are not in the business of fighting with our guests" and that is the reality. Unless it is an unsafe or illegal activity, it is rare too many arbitrary rules will be rigidly enforced.

Yep.

It's why

Dress codes,

Time limits on loungers

Getting into Any/My/any other name, time dining is allowed

It's why kids are let into adult only areas and

Why babies in happiest or not are allowed use the pools

Even sometimes smoking are ignored.

It's why they let you remove auto tips

Ships just don't want a fight with the punter.

And art of me (probably the part that spent year in service industry) understand why.

Yep.

It's why

Dress codes,

Time limits on loungers

Getting into Any/My/any other name, time dining is allowed

It's why kids are let into adult only areas and

Why babies in happiest or not are allowed use the pools

Even sometimes smoking are ignored.

It's why they let you remove auto tips

Ships just don't want a fight with the punter.

And art of me (probably the part that spent year in service industry) understand why.

Yup, it boils down to self-policing. Unfortunately, there are far too many selfish, unconscientious people on cruises.

I will say, however, I wouldn't put a "dress code violation" in the same category as chair hogging or diaper-in-the-pool family.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk