Cruise agent did not ask my permission

Momma Mojito

I will back up what most people are telling you. We as agents do this because cruise prices and cabins can change within minutes. We do it as a service to you. You are in no way responsible to pay for it. Having been in the business for about 25 years it has been a wonderful way to get you the best price and best cabin at the time. You don't have to call Princess or any other cruise line to take care of it. Unless they used a credit card for deposit without your permission she or he was doing their job.

My DW just did it today with Princess. She called an put a hold on two cabins on a Panama Canal cruise towards the end of April. As we need to coordinate with other family members we needed some time. The Princess rep gave us a hold on the cabins until Friday. If we don't confirm and pay (full fare) by that date then we can cancel the reservation. We'll see how this goes.

What has this got to do with the OP's issue? They did not ask for a hold on a cabin and were shocked to see one in their name that they didn't ask for. You asked for a hold so where is the shock?

From what I've read the TA actually didn't do anything specific for the OP personally.

The OP entered her details into the online website to check the price, and that triggered an automatic hold on that cabin from the TA's website.

Given the OP appears to be a frequent cruiser, averaging one cruise a year for the last nine years, I'm surprised that this has not happened before.

What has this got to do with the OP's issue? They did not ask for a hold on a cabin and were shocked to see one in their name that they didn't ask for. You asked for a hold so where is the shock?

No shock. However, I see that you did not bother to read to who and about what I was replying to.

Edited by ar1950

Ironically - she did this to help you. For example, she gave you a quote. That price could go up 5 minutes later. If you had called back 5 minutes later to book it, the price may have been up and you would have been upset with her as she is not honoring the quote (maybe you wouldn't be upset but many people are).

So they put a 24 hour hold on it which expires in 24 hours. It is harmless. She did this so that if you called back, she could honor the price that she quoted you.

This is common. Most will say "I can hold this for 24 hours".

Honestly - this is not a big deal. It goes away if no money is put down on the cruise.

Agree!

But maybe for you this is not a big deal, but after I saw this and thinking there was a booking for me on this cruise it was for me and may I say I have never used this agency and never will.

You are making a real big deal about nothing. No need to be paranoid. Like the previous poster mentioned, the agency did this to your advantage...to hold the price and room you may have discussed. No cards were charged so it's OK. The hold will drop in 24 hours. Till then relax.

They put a hold on so they can increase their stats and look good in the office. Doesn't feel honest to me, I would also be upset and not use that TA again. It may not cost me any money but I don't like being signed up for something I did not authorize.

Ridiculous way of thinking!

No, I did not talk to her, I was checking only online. and had never used this agency nor will I

In that case I believe YOU accidently clicked some buttons and put a hold on the cabin. Really, relax, it is not a big deal. It will drop off in 24 hours. Don't worry. Have a mojito:D

HAS THIS EVER HAPPENED TO YOU?????

Like many of you, I am always checking many Cruise Agencies for the best fare. Well, yesterday I checked my Princess site and it showed that I had a cruise booked, which was only 7 weeks away. I immediately tried to call Princess but could not get through after being put on hold for over half an hour. Getting more and more frustrated I looked further into my Princess planner and then I saw the name of the cruise agency, that I had checked prices earlier yesterday. By this time, I was really upset thinking that I had a cruise booked. So I called the agency and wanted to know why this cruise was showing up on my planner. She said she had put a 24-hour hold on it, and may I say without even asking me. After getting off the phone with her, I called Princess and again after being on hold for quite some time I finally was able to talk to an agent, who assured me that it was removed. Well, just checked my Princess account and it's still showing that this cruise is booked.

NOW I WILL HAVE TO CALL PRINCESS, AND AGAIN BE PUT ON HOLD TO MAKE SURE THIS IS REMOVED!!! ALL BECAUSE OF AN CRUISE AGENT WHO DID NOT ASK MY PERMISSION TO DO THIS !!!!

Does this agent have your credit card number? If not, then there is no deposit and it will not survive for long.

It may not be a big deal to others, Momma, but I am with you! Besides worrying what the TA did, you have to waste time getting it straightened out so YO.U are comfortable!

As others have stated--this is a very common practice. It is a way for the TA to protect the price of the cruise they quoted to you and will drop off after 24hrs.

HOWEVER, it would have been nice if the travel agent the OP contacted for a quote had let them know that they would put a 24hr hold on the cruise. Then the OP wouldn't have been confused and wasted their time calling Princess to resolve a non-issue.

Edited by PrincessNancy

HOWEVER, it would have been nice if the travel agent the OP contacted for a quote had let them know that they would put a 24hr hold on the cruise. Then the OP wouldn't have been confused and wasted their time calling Princess to resolve a non-issue.

They probably would have been the OP used a website and didn't really talk to anyone.