Cruise agent did not ask my permission

Momma Mojito

I haven't used Cruise Critic for some time and not sure if I'll use it again with all the negative comments I've received about this subject. What you all don't understand is that seeing this on my Princess site and not being smart enough to know that this does happen it really upset me!! I did comment that I had never used this Agency. I only filled out all the info on their website to see what their pricing was!!!!

Some of you can be so cruel with your remarks

Edited by Momma Mojito

I haven't used Cruise Critic for some time and not sure if I'll use it again with all the negative comments I've received about this subject. What you all don't understand is that seeing this on my Princess site and not being smart enough to know that this does happen it really upset me!! I did comment that I had never used this Agency. I only filled out all the info on their website to see what their pricing was!!!!

I will quote again what I said above......

Looks like you have been around here and on the internet long enough to know you will get comments, some you like and some you don't.

No need to take it personally.

Who was cruel?

Edited by Colo Cruiser

I suggest you should pause and reflect upon your remarks about the TA. You implied that the TA had done something dishonest. Were your remarks "cruel"?

Posters explained the situation and why such an implication was unwarranted. You learned something. You should spend more time here.

wow, not sure what we talk about on theses boards that compare to human trafficking. Sorry if my comments effected you so strongly. I could understand the OP comment and just wanted to let them know I understood the frustration. I did not intend to upset so many. Maybe I Should be more trusting of strangers on the phone.

Thanks for setting my priorities straight. I am off to write my congress about my righteous anger over the illegal seal clubbing.

My comments were not directed at you. I am not really sure why you have taken it personally.

The common practice on CC is- if you are directing a comment at someone, you quote them.

Otherwise, the comment made is considered a general comment that is just directed to the overall topic.

Edited by TracieABD

Agreed. Reading through this thread was painful. I thought you had a point.

Sounds like a few more mojito's may be required......

Yes even after my apology it appears I have hit the nerve of some agents and a nice beverage is in order.

I stand by comment. It's a racket to either increase your stats to stop another TA from getting the reservation. Just my opinion and I am glad it works out for some but I would not use a TA who does this... Sorry that the OP felt bad and I apologize for any part I played in upsetting the other posters on this board. I meant no offense just my opinion. I learn a lot on these boards (like agents will block out other agents) and I because of cc I am able to stretch all my travel budget.

Yes even after my apology it appears I have hit the nerve of some agents and a nice beverage is in order.

I stand by comment. It's a racket to either increase your stats to stop another TA from getting the reservation. Just my opinion and I am glad it works out for some but I would not use a TA who does this... Sorry that the OP felt bad and I apologize for any part I played in upsetting the other posters on this board. I meant no offense just my opinion. I learn a lot on these boards (like agents will block out other agents) and I because of cc I am able to stretch all my travel budget.

There is no need to apologize.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. ;)

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Completely understand why the OP is so frustrated. It's happened to me as well. I felt violated the first time, but I guess that's how they lock you in as theirs.... :) They will hold a RSVP for you and if you don't pay by the cruise lines hold time frame, it will go away.

It's one of the reason's I don't like going through TA's. I get that some ask before they do it, but I've had them not ask too.

I just prefer going directly through Princess to book.

To each his own. I guess it's your personal preference.

:) Free will and all

WOW! As one who books over 70 days of cruises per year, with multiple online agencies, we understand the dilemma and the issue of the OP. But cruise agencies get caught between a rock and a hard place. They advertise (or e-mail) decent offers which are usually time and capacity limited. People make inquiries and the agencies usually deal with the questions. But many folks are not willing to make quick commitments and want time to think (and perhaps compare). If the customer calls back a few hours or a day later and wants to book, the agency may have to say "sorry but that deal is no longer available." So some agencies/agents will put a cruise booking on 24 hour hold (usually with no financial commitment). If the customer does call back, the agency has already locked in the deal...and the customer is happy. If the customer does not return, the 24 hour hold expires with no harm done.

The OP needs to understand that if they had done nothing (not called Princess or the agency) the hold would have expired at no cost to the OP. And if the OP had wanted to book the cruise the agency would have "protected" the original offer. Perhaps the agency/agency is guilty of being a bit too aggressive....but having heard all the whining and some screaming when a customer's hesitation takes them out of the game (for a good deal) we can understand.

Hank

No reason to get upset.

The point is that unless you gave them a credit card number to hold the reservation you are obligated to NOTHING.

If you research pricing in the future this will likely happen again; but now you know that it means nothing.

Mike:)

Most of the time, it matters not that the TA put a hold on a specific cabin. Do you really care if you get B725 or B726 or B727? It only matters if you absolutely have to have B725.

In my case it might matter. There are only two, maybe four, cabins on any given ship I would consider. Most don't care that much. If you're booking a guarantee, why do you care?

Calm down..... Again, they did this so they could honor the quote they gave you. It expires quickly. There are things in this world worth getting worked up about. This is not one of them.

I agree with you no big deal , this has worked in my favour more than once

Where the agency has put on hold for me and the price has gone up in the few hours it took to get back, but as she put it on hold I received the better price.

Its not only TA's that can do this, you or I can as well, I do it all the time on online TA sites, you go thru the entire self booking process to just before payment and then click on "hold cabin" and viola, that cabin can't be booked by anyone else till I book it or the hold expires....

Most of the time, it matters not that the TA put a hold on a specific cabin. Do you really care if you get B725 or B726 or B727? It only matters if you absolutely have to have B725.

In my case it might matter. There are only two, maybe four, cabins on any given ship I would consider. Most don't care that much. If you're booking a guarantee, why do you care?

No probably won't effect me. I don't book a guarantee but I have booked an inside sideways cabin and if I like it I may want that again. But there are a few of those so it will probably not effect me. Of course I won't book with a TA who does this so that will also keep this from happening to me. It's just more info to file away for someday. [emoji3]

Not according to the OP in post #23

I re read the post and it didn't say anything. The TA obviously had the OP's name or couldn't have made the reservation. It appears the OP inquired online for a rate. There could be a standard insertion in all TA's quotes that they put a hold on the cabin to gty the fare and there is no obligation. That would eliminate any doubts about what they are doing.

Its not only TA's that can do this, you or I can as well, I do it all the time on online TA sites, you go thru the entire self booking process to just before payment and then click on "hold cabin" and viola, that cabin can't be booked by anyone else till I book it or the hold expires....

My DW just did it today with Princess. She called an put a hold on two cabins on a Panama Canal cruise towards the end of April. As we need to coordinate with other family members we needed some time. The Princess rep gave us a hold on the cabins until Friday. If we don't confirm and pay (full fare) by that date then we can cancel the reservation. We'll see how this goes.

Not sure why you are upset. If you dont pay a deposit it will disappear. But clearly you gave them your details, name, captains number online which submits an enquiry. They hold and give you a quote so that price can stick. Otherwise the price could change and then you would want to know why as soon as you booked.

Edited by Pushka

Just think OP....Had you come here to Cruise Critic with your quandary first, you may not have had to waste your time with contacting Princess and fretting about this benign situation.

Chalk it up as learning something new every day....