Do they keep the Lido open late for late shore excursions?

canadarocks

We have early dining booked in the MDR. One evening we've booked a shore excursion that gets us back onboard at 8:30pm. Do they extend the Lido's hours those days, or will we have to order room service? Don't really want to book a specialty restaurant that night.

Edited by canadarocks

It will be closed down by 8:30.

We didn't get back from a HAL excursion until nearly midnight -- had left early in the morning. Nothing open.

The late night snack in the Lido usually opens at 10:30 or 11:30 for an hour -- depends on itinerary.

Room service is your only option.

With a tour getting back that late, isn't some kind of a snack or meal being offered?

We have early dining booked in the MDR. One evening we've booked a shore excursion that gets us back onboard at 8:30pm. Do they extend the Lido's hours those days, or will we have to order room service? Don't really want to book a specialty restaurant that night.

Which ship, which cruise, which port? Sometimes the Lido will be open late, sometimes not. But knowing the details we (or you) can compare to previous trips.

Which ship, which cruise, which port? Sometimes the Lido will be open late, sometimes not. But knowing the details we (or you) can compare to previous trips.

Eurodam, Mediterranean Empires, Istanbul (overnighting there). :)

I would explain this to your section Assistant DRM a couple of nights before. They will have experienced this in the past and should have a plan.

With an overnight, the DR is generally not very busy, so it should work!

An alternative would be to order room service.

I suggest that after you embark the ship, find time to go to the Shore Excursion Office. Ask them if they have made any arrangements with the dining room, Lido, etc. for those returning from shore excursions after normal dining hours.

If they have, you can determine if the arrangements are suitable for you, and work with them. Or, work around them---such as having a meal before you leave the ship.

If they haven't, then ask the dining room and/or Lido management how you can be accommodated that night.

As you've already asked about, you know room service is an option.

This was in 2009, and things might have changed, but on a Baltic cruise on the Eurodam, the ship's excursion to Berlin was late getting back because there was a problem with the train returning from Berlin. At that time, they kept the Lido open until until the train got back - probably around 10 p.m.

This was in 2009, and things might have changed, but on a Baltic cruise on the Eurodam, the ship's excursion to Berlin was late getting back because there was a problem with the train returning from Berlin. At that time, they kept the Lido open until until the train got back - probably around 10 p.m.

The excursion I was talking about was also the train getting back from Berlin late.

Nothing for us.

Fortunately we had snack crackers in the cabin. On the train ride back to the ship they had a snack for us -- banana, cookie and a soft drink.

If the Lido is not open when we get back, any chance they will make the exception and let us eat a late dinner in the Any Time dining room?

I know it's not supposed to be done, but under these circumstances could it?

On our recent Maasdam cruise, we saw quite a few people seated in the lower level of the dining room later than usual one evening. I think that they had just returned from the very long shore excursion to Chichen Itza, and it was right around 9 p.m. or maybe even a bit later. Based on what we observed from our table on the upper level of the MDR, I have a feeling this was expected by the staff due to the length of that particular shore excursion. Many of these people looked very tired and as if they'd rushed to get there. I was glad for them that they were able to sit down for a nice dinner and not have to deal with finding another option.

Open seating dining is open until 9 p.m. - if you speak to the MDR manager the night before I'm sure they'll understand and allow you to go to open dining that evening.

Better yet switch to open. It's not really fair to those that have chosen open. I don't imagine those that chose traditional would like it if open diners took a table in traditional. When I did traditional I wouldn't dream of going to open. I made alternate plans. I shouldn't be a big deal for the op to make alternate plans for one night.

Edited by cruz chic

Better yet switch to open. It's not really fair to those that have chosen open. I don't imagine those that chose traditional would like it if open diners took a table in traditional. When I did traditional I wouldn't dream of going to open. I made alternate plans. I shouldn't be a big deal for the op to make alternate plans for one night.

But they do seat "open diners" at empty places in the upper MDR and I really doubt that one couple going to the lower level at 8:45 PM is going to force anyone else to wait...

But they do seat "open diners" at empty places in the upper MDR and I really doubt that one couple going to the lower level at 8:45 PM is going to force anyone else to wait...

If everyone had that same opinion it would be much more than one couple. Why not just pick one and stick with it? It's the right thing to do and it's not really too much to ask. Hal chooses to sit people upstairs at times. Open diners do not request it or simply seat themselves there. When they suggest that they might seat me upstairs I ask them not to do it as it throws things off in traditional.

Other posters advice is quite valid.

If one is left with no other option: Room Service is perfectly acceptable.

My suggestion for Room Service: the Club Sandwich with Potato Salad or Potato Chips.

Abby, POA's magical sandwich that saved the day....

We did a late excursion in Istanbul but we arrived in the port ahead of schedule and finished the tour about an hour earlier than the original plan, so we enjoyed a dinner in the MDR at 7:45, but we had the open dining plan for the whole cruise which made us very flexible.

I think open dining is an excellent option for a cruise where some of the ports will bring you back too late for early dining, but if the OP doesn't want to do open dining for the rest of the cruise, then they have the option of room service for one night. There's always an option. Better to enjoy amazing Istanbul! m--

If everyone had that same opinion it would be much more than one couple. Why not just pick one and stick with it? It's the right thing to do and it's not really too much to ask. Hal chooses to sit people upstairs at times. Open diners do not request it or simply seat themselves there. When they suggest that they might seat me upstairs I ask them not to do it as it throws things off in traditional.

It doesn't throw anything off. We had a table behind us in late fixed that was used for open dining every night.