Gift Exchange Ideas?

Rob1966

Is Hull not going to be the UK's City of Culture in 2017? Couldn't you buy a small gift celebrating this? I'm sure there will be merchandise available to purchase in your local area highlighting this prestigious honour :).

Is Hull not going to be the UK's City of Culture in 2017? Couldn't you buy a small gift celebrating this? I'm sure there will be merchandise available to purchase in your local area highlighting this prestigious honour :).

This is a great idea, thank you :)

Hi,

I am signed up for a gift exchange on my next cruise, something we've never participated in before.

I would love to hear from others on what gifts they received and gave just so I can get an idea of what to buy :)

The price should be no more than 10-15 Dollars.

thanks

Rob

We've done this once.

Our contribution was a jar of honey from a local producer. Not a success. The recipient is from a country which very strictly bans the importation of honey.

We received a nice assortment of mints and candies. Not a success. Neither of us much cares for mints or candies and we gifted these to the waiters at the Martini Bar.

So, my recommendation would be anything at all as long as it is not a food item.

I participated one time and it was fun. Most that exchanged knew each other or at least corresponded on the roll call. The gift that I purchased was a book about ghost stories in my town. The person that received it really enjoyed reading it.

A travel guide to your home town or city might be a good gift.

Monica

Edited by Compass Rose Monica

We participated in 2 of these.

The first one we received a tea towel and pens from Australia and we took a hat and sunglasses from the University of Arkansas. About equal success.

The second one was a Chinese Auction gift exchange where you had numbers to determine the order and you could either pick an unopened item or steal one that someone else had already opened. They would then either steal or open a new item.

We took a piece of crystal from the crystal mine about 7 miles from our house.

It was won by a geologist who seemed to like it.

We came home with Maple Syrup which made me very happy. It was a popular item that had been stolen before I stole it.

The most popular was a bottle of wine and one that had several mini bottles of rum. Our cruise departed from Rome and the bottle of wine was one from that area. Also popular were tour guides to the areas our cruise was visiting.

Pick something you would like to receive and don't stress. It is all fun meeting new people and socializing.

Carol

I've participated (& hosted) gift exchanges many times. Some of the things folks come up with for $10-$15 are totally amazing. I've received bottle caddies, tea caddies, superb wines, an incredible inflatable wine cooler (that I use all the time) & the other end of the spectrum, postcards. I normally bring a small piece of our local pottery & a few 5x7 photos of some of our superb local landscape (Colorado Springs). Getting something from someplace we haven't been to before is always fun. It's always voluntary, if you don't want to participate, then don't. So, if you're on the Solstice on 26 April 2016, the gift exchange will be in conjunction with the meet & greet!

The gift exchange is great on transatlantic with all the sea days. Yes, you probably will receive a gift from a total stranger, but they won't be strangers for long. That is what meeting new friends on a cruise is all about. Most of our cruises, we only know anyone on the ship via the cc roll call. It is great to make new friends.

We have befriended people from all over the World, but many from Britain, Ireland, Germany, Australia, Canada, and more. We still keep in touch with these people and share our travel experiences. Occasionally, someone with sign on with a cruise that we have booked and we enjoy their company once more.

• 1 year later...

As I live in James Cook's birthplace I have taken small items from our museum here as well as James Herriot items ( just down the road). The first time I took a Harrods tote bag but have just checked and they have jumped++ in price now. I agree as Hull is our city of culture there should be lots of small items connected with that this year.

Interesting thread. Personally, the entire topic of Gift Exchanges just reinforces our own attitude to now avoid nearly all Meet and Greets and keep a very low (to invisible) profile on Meet and Greets. If folks want to chat (here or on a cruise) about travel, cruising, ports, etc. we love to participate. But when it becomes like a grade school with door sign discussions, gift exchanges, skits, etc... we quickly look for a nice deck chair :). Guess it is just one of those different strokes kind of things. No problem with anyone who is into that kind of stuff...but we simply seek out other distractions.

Hank

I'll Take that Whiskey!! Now, that is an example of a great gift. The key is to buy something EVERYONE would want, not you, and though it is suggested, not everyone wants regional items. Unless of course it's real Cadbury chocolate from Ireland then bring it to my mouth. Keep it LIGHT. Most have concerns about luggage weight. Thermal mugs, special soaps to be used on the cruise, a small laundry kit was a huge success on one long haul cruise. Rule of thumb, if you don't like your gift, do not try to exchange it for another draw.

I've been in charge of two and things that were not appreciated included golf items (not everyone golfs)

Jars of jam (too heavy) Books - your read may not be someone else's. It is meant to be fun and a cabin steward will take an unwanted gift off your hands and it is OPTIONAL. Magnets are good, key chains are not. (chip cars) Mostly it's meant for a fun ice breaker, not a childish pout experience.

I'll Take that Whiskey!! Now, that is an example of a great gift. The key is to buy something EVERYONE would want, not you, and though it is suggested, not everyone wants regional items. Unless of course it's real Cadbury chocolate from Ireland then bring it to my mouth. Keep it LIGHT. Most have concerns about luggage weight. Thermal mugs, special soaps to be used on the cruise, a small laundry kit was a huge success on one long haul cruise. Rule of thumb, if you don't like your gift, do not try to exchange it for another draw.

I've been in charge of two and things that were not appreciated included golf items (not everyone golfs)

Jars of jam (too heavy) Books - your read may not be someone else's. It is meant to be fun and a cabin steward will take an unwanted gift off your hands and it is OPTIONAL. Magnets are good, key chains are not. (chip cars) Mostly it's meant for a fun ice breaker, not a childish pout experience.

I was in charge of our last Gift Exchange and it was a lot of fun. Not for everyone, but if you don't enjoy them, don't sign up!

I would agree with the 'keep it general' statement. We live just down the road from the Tervis Tumbler factory, so I usually bring one or two of those. They seem to go over well and is something everyone can use. I steer clear of 'controversial' things like sports teams!

I will mention that I received a very nice plate from Australia at the last exchange. It was fun and enjoyable for the 'giver' to explain the significance of each item on the plate and I enjoy the memory of the cruise with each use. Another great gift was a small bottle of REAL Canadian maple syrup (that didn't last long!)

As lazygal says, it is meant to encourage comradery and conversation.

As the gift exchange is totally optional - if you do not care for the idea just don't join the FUN

However the gift IMO is just a fun thing the real idea to the gift exchange is another opportunity to met and mingle with fellow Cruise Critic Members... Normally the person giving the gift introduces themselves and explains what the meaning/thought behind the gift was... and of course the person receiving the gift opens and displays it and introduces themselves... so more time to get to know fellow cruisers...

As I am addicted to Cruising I now find that I am cruising with people I have met on previous cruises --- so all cruises become a reunion cruise :cool:

Hi,

I am signed up for a gift exchange on my next cruise, something we've never participated in before.

I would love to hear from others on what gifts they received and gave just so I can get an idea of what to buy :)

The price should be no more than 10-15 Dollars.

thanks

Rob

Sort of a late response but I can not figure out why anyone would voluntarily sign up to exchange gifts w total strangers.

DON

• 1 year later...
I always give a Tervis Tumbler. It is an insulated glass which can hold hot or cold drinks. I love mine and take it on every cruise. They are nice to keep your drinks cold around the pool etc.

I live at the beach so I usually buy one with a palm tree or beach design on it.

Everyone either male or female can use it.

Im leaving Sunday in the Eacape out of NY..this is a wonderful idea..thank you!

Sort of a late response but I can not figure out why anyone would voluntarily sign up to exchange gifts w total strangers. DON

Well, I am not positive. But, maybe, so they don't stay strangers. :cool:

We did a recipe exchange on one of our cruises. It was neat seeing what other people's favourite dishes/desserts were.

Was a bit hard for some recipes as they weren't in different measurements (that I'm not use to using) or had items that we don't have in our country.