Bringing electronics on board

Savlamara

After looking over my packing list it dawned on me I'm bringing alot of electrical items on. Between the eReader, laptop, tablet, 2 cameras, I'm wondering what to do when I'm outside the room. Do I leave things charging out in the open or should I lock them up in my luggage? I've cruised before multiple times but only brought a camera which I kept with me everywhere I went.

What does everyone else do?

And no, leaving it isn't an option.

On our Dream cruise, we had DW's phone and Kindle, and my iPod and camera. Anything we didn't carry went in the safe. Don't think your laptop or iPad will fit, though.

I took a plug in charger that had 3 plugins and 2 USB charger ports and we charged things overnight. Only thing I would do different is get one with more USB ports....

Edited by Raxter54

Ive left a tablet and/or cell phone on the cabin counter charging at various times on different cruises without concern or problem.

If worried, put what fits in the safe and the rest stowed away out of sight.

Ive left a tablet and/or cell phone on the cabin counter charging at various times on different cruises without concern or problem.

If worried, put what fits in the safe and the rest stowed away out of sight.

This is what we do. My camera goes with me everywhere. Our readers go with us on sea days, otherwise they are in the safe. I have a small laptop/tablet that doesn't fit in the safe, but I just put it on a shelf in the closet. So far, so good. :)

This is what we do. My camera goes with me everywhere. Our readers go with us on sea days, otherwise they are in the safe. I have a small laptop/tablet that doesn't fit in the safe, but I just put it on a shelf in the closet. So far, so good. :)

We do the same. The cabin steward isn't going to steal your "stuff" . :)

Anything that won't fit in the safe I leave on the closet shelf - out of sight - in case someone peeped into the cabin door while the steward is cleaning the bathroom. :D

After looking over my packing list it dawned on me I'm bringing alot of electrical items on. Between the eReader, laptop, tablet, 2 cameras, I'm wondering what to do when I'm outside the room. Do I leave things charging out in the open or should I lock them up in my luggage? I've cruised before multiple times but only brought a camera which I kept with me everywhere I went.

I tend to leave my electronics in the drawers, though I don't carry as many as you do. I don't leave them out to charge and I don't lock them in the suitcase. Occasionally I'll keep them in the safe.

Your electronics should, in theory, be safe enough from the cleaning staff. They know they're risking their jobs if they take your stuff, so only the most immoral will try. I would be more worried about your fellow passengers. If they were to sneak in and grab something, it would be highly unlikely they would be caught. Too many people and not enough time.

Thanks for the awesome ideas. I'm going to take the advice and charge overnight. My laptop is a small 11 incher so I might see if I can squeeze it in the safe diagonally. The rest I'll just throw in my suitcase when I'm out.

I got a 5 port USB charger on Amazon so it should charge everything at once nicely while only using one plug!

Edited by Savlamara

Thanks for the awesome ideas. I'm going to take the advice and charge overnight. My laptop is a small 11 incher so I might see if I can squeeze it in the safe diagonally. The rest I'll just throw in my suitcase when I'm out.

I got a 5 port USB charger on Amazon so it should charge everything at once nicely while only using one plug!

Do keep in mind Carnival's policy about no chargers with surge protectors. Surge protectors are prohibited, so if you have one, you run the risk of having it confiscated.

Sometimes the stewards will unplug anything left unattended. We charge at night.

All of our electronics are dual voltage. We bring along either plug adapters or our European USB wall wart.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We (read that as me) bring a camera (needs a battery charger), iPad Pro, Mac Air, two iPhones, electronic alarm clock, 4 way plug, chargeable Bose wireless speaker and a Kindle. Never put anything in the safe and never had a problem.

We leave everything out all the time. Not sure why anyone would even be concerned about it.

Do keep in mind Carnival's policy about no chargers with surge protectors. Surge protectors are prohibited, so if you have one, you run the risk of having it confiscated.

While they may make it past security, yes, the surge protectors in the multi-USB ports are not allowed, and are dangerous. I have looked at several of these in response to questions from CC members, and contacted the manufacturers directly, and the Zilu 5 USB port hub is the only one that I have found without surge protection. Even other Zilu products are surge protected, they specifically told me this was their only product without it.

I took a MacBook Pro on one cruise and used a cable lock wrapped around the TV mount. I'm pretty sure that whatever doesn't fit in the safe can go in a cabinet and will be fine.

You might want to bring a cheap splitter for the outlet, either cube or inline, so that you can charge more devices.

I am not concerned about the stewards but one thing I DETEST that they do is when they are servicing a cabin they leave the door wide open when they aren't in it...you look and they are 3 cabins down with YOUR door open...that bugs me immensely. Anyone could walk in and out without them noticing..

Nope, my USB hub doesn't have any surge protection. And i have a simple 3 in one splitter that is basic as well, I've been using for the past 5 years and never had a problem.

We do the same. The cabin steward isn't going to steal your "stuff" . :)

Anything that won't fit in the safe I leave on the closet shelf - out of sight - in case someone peeped into the cabin door while the steward is cleaning the bathroom. :D

My thoughts exactly - you just don't know who might come down the hallway - why tempt anyone?

I am not concerned about the stewards but one thing I DETEST that they do is when they are servicing a cabin they leave the door wide open when they aren't in it...you look and they are 3 cabins down with YOUR door open...that bugs me immensely. Anyone could walk in and out without them noticing..

I agree with this. I "lost" a bunch of stuff in a hotel several years ago. Only thing we could point to was something like this. I put stuff out of sight whenever I travel now.

Edited by jac-3
quotes put in

If you're worried about your room steward stealing your stuff---don't. We've left all kinds of stuff laying in the room and never had a problem. All the steward would need is someone accusing them of theft. They aren't usually going to take the risk of losing their job and being put off the ship. I won't say it's not ever going to happen; but I don't worry too much about it. Happy cruising! Bill

If you're worried about your room steward stealing your stuff---don't. We've left all kinds of stuff laying in the room and never had a problem. All the steward would need is someone accusing them of theft. They aren't usually going to take the risk of losing their job and being put off the ship. I won't say it's not ever going to happen; but I don't worry too much about it. Happy cruising! Bill

Noooo, not my intention at all. I have left jewelry and cash on the dresser without any problems. I just wanted to know what everyone does with their stuff. And if others bring as much as i do. I'm sure the crew sees much more expensive things then i have.

I have the utmost respect for the crew and especially the room stewards! I have 2 family members employed on cruise ships currently.

Edited by Savlamara

I never bother keeping electronics in the safe except for my not so smart cell phone. We use the safe for our passports and wallets.

Exactly the same with us except I've used my cell phone the last few cruises so it doesn't go in the safe either. My electronics get left where ever I use them last and charged as needed.