Transatlantic cruise options.

Deimos

Hi all

New to the forum and cruising (Yes, I'm a newbie :D)

So, I live in England and have made some great friends in he USA, all of which are based in Sarasota, Florida.

I took my first holiday to Sarasota in January of this year, by plane, stayed a couple of weeks, then returned home.

I'd like to make at least one journey a year back to Sarasota, but, I really don't enjoy flying.

This was my first time on an airplane since I was 5-6 (I'm 35 now).

So I often pondered the idea of taking a cruise across the Atlantic, to Florida.

So here's where I'd like some advice.

I've done google searches for cruises sailing from the UK to Florida/East coast USA, but most results are just generic cruise lines.

The only cruise which seems to make a regular transatlantic journey (but to New York), is the Queen Mary 2.

To be honest, the QM2 seems a little formal for me, I read about the dress code and such and I would much prefer a more....relaxed/informal set up.

There's also the problem of cost in getting back to the UK, as far as I can tell, you pay a small fortune to fly from the USA, back to the UK, it's like 3x the price of a regular return flight from Gatwick to Tampa international.

It'd be cheaper to actually get a cruise back, then fly directly home.

I probably won't be cruising this year, but am seriously tempted to go in January/Feburary, when it's not boiling hot in Florida.

So, I was wondering if anyone had any tips?

Welcome to Cruise Critic. Yes Cunard is the only line that makes regular trips back and forth. Other lines only do it as part of their repositioning, in the spring and the fall. You can get some real good deals on these repositioning cruises so shop around.

There are several Autumn repositioning itineraries from the UK to Florida ports (which reverse in the Spring) - they are generally very inexpensive. A repositioning could be paired with a QM2 crossing in the other direction - leaving open only the gap between Florida and New York.

Given the restricted time frames of repositionings, you would have to be happy with visiting Florida in April/May or October/November.

If you need to fly one way, check with the cruise line for flights. They can get you international flights much less than you could book yourself. I flew one way and did a transatlantic with Cunard last year. The flight they got me was about 20% of what I would have paid on my own.

Holland America, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, and Princess are some of the cruise lines you should look into for repositioning cruises.

Thanks

Yea I see Celebrity cruises offer a flight service for returning to the UK, but it doesn't seem to let you choose a different date

And the flight back (one way, business class) costs £1,379

Whereas, a fight from gatwick to tampa, then back again, costs £1600.

Don't think I'll ever understand the idea of pricing flights the way they do.

Hi all

New to the forum and cruising (Yes, I'm a newbie :D)

So, I live in England and have made some great friends in he USA, all of which are based in Sarasota, Florida.

I took my first holiday to Sarasota in January of this year, by plane, stayed a couple of weeks, then returned home.

I'd like to make at least one journey a year back to Sarasota, but, I really don't enjoy flying.

This was my first time on an airplane since I was 5-6 (I'm 35 now).

So I often pondered the idea of taking a cruise across the Atlantic, to Florida.

So here's where I'd like some advice.

I've done google searches for cruises sailing from the UK to Florida/East coast USA, but most results are just generic cruise lines.

The only cruise which seems to make a regular transatlantic journey (but to New York), is the Queen Mary 2.

To be honest, the QM2 seems a little formal for me, I read about the dress code and such and I would much prefer a more....relaxed/informal set up.

There's also the problem of cost in getting back to the UK, as far as I can tell, you pay a small fortune to fly from the USA, back to the UK, it's like 3x the price of a regular return flight from Gatwick to Tampa international.

It'd be cheaper to actually get a cruise back, then fly directly home.

I probably won't be cruising this year, but am seriously tempted to go in January/Feburary, when it's not boiling hot in Florida.

So, I was wondering if anyone had any tips?

There are cruises that leave the Caribbean in April and return to the Caribbean in October. You might want to look into one of these.

However, to cruise both ways you would have to:

1) Stay for six months or;

2) Take the QM2 from England to NY, take a train from NY to Florida and take one of the Caribbean ships from the Caribbean back to Europe in April or;

3) Take a cruise from Europe to the Florida in October, then take a train from Florida to NY, then take the QM2 from NY back to England or;

4) Fly one way.

3) Take a cruise from Europe to the Florida in October, then take a train from Florida to NY, then take the QM2 from NY back to England or;

4) Fly one way.

Yea what I might end up doing is crusing to NY, flying down to Sarasota airport, staying X days, fly back to NY, then cruise back to Southampton

Both cruises would be Cunard's QM2

Still thinking on what to do.

Yea what I might end up doing is crusing to NY, flying down to Sarasota airport, staying X days, fly back to NY, then cruise back to Southampton

Both cruises would be Cunard's QM2

Still thinking on what to do.

Some of the repositions from Florida are to Southhampton. Timing being right, you wouldn't need to fly back to NY, but take a reposition. It would be a different experience from the QE2, less formal, as you said you prefer.

http://www.cruisetransatlantic.com/cruises.html

Seems to be updated yearly. I copied it last year, and it updated this year. EM

That is a good reference, thanks for posting!

Do note however that it is not actually the complete transatlantic schedule. It only covers those TAs which start and end in the Northern Hemisphere... When I was doing my first search for eastbound TAs last year, I seem to remember a few that went from Brazil to the Med.

Edited by GottaKnowWhen

Yes, one way flights can be horrendously expensive. However, if you are happy to consider cruising one way and flying the other, it may be worth looking at Aer Lingus, which used to have reasonable one way prices. This may only be to/from Dublin, but we have used them in conjunction with flights from our local airport.

Yes, one way flights can be horrendously expensive. However, if you are happy to consider cruising one way and flying the other, it may be worth looking at Aer Lingus, which used to have reasonable one way prices. This may only be to/from Dublin, but we have used them in conjunction with flights from our local airport.

Virtually all cruise lines provide links to one way trans-Atlantic flights paired with re-positioning itineraries. In recent years it has been about $500 or less per person. The last thing you want to do is book a one way T/A directly wath an airline - where you will pay much more than the cost of a round trip - better to buy the round trip and throw away the second half.

You could take one of your Generic cruise lines over Spring or Fall repo and use Queens for the reverse. I just booked air back to states on Choice from Rome for just over $600 US .They will sell you deviated airy But you would need to call them for that.

Edited by zoncom

Hmm, are cruise lines open to a flight back to the UK at a later date, rather than the same day?

On our T/A's (six of them) we have always flown east and sailed west - and have regularly flown a week or so before embarking date - so I would think it safe to assume that you can pick a return flight on a chosen later date, rather than immediately upon debarking.

I would look at low cost airlines for affordable one way fares. Norwegian flies Orlando-London for as low as $250 USD, 2x a week. Also as stated already, the cruise air offers affordable options and you can adjust your dates if you call them.