Over-the-door shoe organizers

cj_one2000

Heard this packing tip from a bunch of people here on CC. For those looking for a cheap way to help you organize your things in your stateroom, there's a sale today on Amazon for a 24-pocket shoe organizer for under $9 in case you don't already have one :) just sharing the link -- if you have Amazon Prime, the item is just $8.59 that includes shipping. Dollar stores may have them too for cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/Honey-Can-Do-SFT-01242-Organizer-White-24-Pocket/dp/B001F51AHG

Happy Cruising!

Many years ago, I bought one at a dollar store, took it on a cruise, could never find any way to use it, as we seemed to have plenty of storage options and no trouble staying organized.

Donated it to Goodwill when we got home.

I can live without it, but find it does help keep things organized.: sunscreen, hosiery, jewelry, hubby's ties, all those smaller things that create clutter on flat surfaces or are small enough to get misplaced easily.

I even use it for shoes, if I have spare pockets.

I am a big fan of the organizers. Not just for cruises but for land vacations too. Although there may be a lot of storage in the rooms, I would rather keep all the small things where they are easy to see and I don't have to remember which drawer has what. I use it for chargers, sunscreen, my makeup, medicines etc. It also helps my husband find things too. I find it makes packing up at the end easier also.

I've used one for the past 2 cruises and plan on bringing one for our next cruise. I hate clutter on the counters and I can never find things all shoved into drawers. This works great for us. I put all of my shoes (I don't bring that many) electronic cords, aloe, sunscreen etc. It folds flat and is easy to pack. I do cut a couple rows off the bottom, as it's usually to long and I don't need that many pockets! :rolleyes::):o

I have used it for every cruise and love it. I hang mine on the bathroom door facing the closets. Shampoo, sunscreen, shave cream brushes,lotion etc. anything you would need in the bathroom. Just grab it before you go in or simply reach around after if you realize you forgot something. One of the est tips I have gotten here.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with BermudaBound2014 as I will be packing mine for our girls cruise. I also have one for in the shower to hold the small bottles of shampoo and bath scrubbie and such. I even use one in the shower at home. I know not everyone likes or uses these but for me they are a must for all kinds of trips that we take..;)

I'm still on the fence about this one. I've gone back and forth with the pros and cons for the last week months. In May I'll be taking my very first cruise. We'll be traveling on NCL's Pride of America in an inside cabin. There will be 4 of us...myself, my 15 year old daughter and my in-laws. Although I don't want to carry one more thing, with so many people in such a small cabin I'm tempted to bring a shoe organizer along. Reviews here on CC are usually for the larger cabins so it's hard to determine how much storage we will actually have on an inside cabin.

I took one once when my daughters were younger, but since I travel solo now, and am pretty organized, I find I don't need one. Since I started using packing cubes, I find the smaller ones are perfect for putting in drawers for misc. items like cords, cameras and jewelry. All of my toiletries usually fit on the shelves

I've really been debating about taking one of these. Is there any chance it would fit on the inside of a closet door? I am going to be sailing next on RCI's Liberty of the Seas in an Inside Promenade Cabin if anyone has specific knowledge of those types of cabins.

We will be driving so I usually bring too much, especially shoes, so it would be great to organize. But I don't like the idea of it hanging on the outside of the bathroom or closet door. The passageway can be narrow enough as it is.

BTW, don't bother telling me to bring less. I'm on vacation, I don't want to do without. :p

I've really been debating about taking one of these. Is there any chance it would fit on the inside of a closet door? I am going to be sailing next on RCI's Liberty of the Seas in an Inside Promenade Cabin if anyone has specific knowledge of those types of cabins.

We will be driving so I usually bring too much, especially shoes, so it would be great to organize. But I don't like the idea of it hanging on the outside of the bathroom or closet door. The passageway can be narrow enough as it is.

BTW, don't bother telling me to bring less. I'm on vacation, I don't want to do without. :p

I don't think that will work. But if you don't like the idea of it on the bathroom door, try this:

Get 2-3 Alligator clips (the black metal ones for office supplies) and clip it to a regular hanger in the closet. You might have to cut off, or just not use, the bottom row if it's too long.

I love my organizer- I rarely travel without it.

don't the closet doors slide so it wouldn't work?

or is that ship different?

I read somewhere on CC that someone couldn't open the closet door and bathroom door at the same time in a Royal Caribbean Promenade Cabin that made me think the closet door might swing out. I was thinking there wouldn't be much clearance inside the closet though so this might not work even if it wasn't a sliding door.

I don't think that will work. But if you don't like the idea of it on the bathroom door, try this:

Get 2-3 Alligator clips (the black metal ones for office supplies) and clip it to a regular hanger in the closet. You might have to cut off, or just not use, the bottom row if it's too long.

I love my organizer- I rarely travel without it.

Now this might work. I am thinking I am going to take a shoe organizer in any case to see if it is useful and I will pack some of these clips so I'm covered. Thanks for the suggestion!

You can always hang it in the closet on the rod if you are unable to attach to back of closet or bathroom door? at least you can see everything and it's easy to reach!

Edited by Froufie

I'm going on the NCL Escape. They have two hooks that are quite high up on the wall. I plan on bringing a plastic hanger from home and zip ties and attaching the organizer that way and just using the hanger to hang it from the hook (if I can't use the actual metal hooks provided and the bathroom door).

I'm still on the fence about this one. I've gone back and forth with the pros and cons for the last week months. In May I'll be taking my very first cruise. We'll be traveling on NCL's Pride of America in an inside cabin. There will be 4 of us...myself, my 15 year old daughter and my in-laws. Although I don't want to carry one more thing, with so many people in such a small cabin I'm tempted to bring a shoe organizer along. Reviews here on CC are usually for the larger cabins so it's hard to determine how much storage we will actually have on an inside cabin.

Don't take it and get there and see how much you wish you had it. We take ours every trip cause I use alot of toiletries and makeup. Hate clutter on counters.

I'm going on the NCL Escape. They have two hooks that are quite high up on the wall. I plan on bringing a plastic hanger from home and zip ties and attaching the organizer that way and just using the hanger to hang it from the hook (if I can't use the actual metal hooks provided and the bathroom door).

Why can't I figure this on out on my own.....great idea!