Live from navigator February 10-17,2016 Miami to Miami with RachelG

RachelG

My adult son, Jon, and I are in Miami getting ready to embark on Navigator tomorrow for a quick mom and son trip. It is a western Caribbean cruise, only 7 days. I have been to all the ports before with the exception of Roatan, but the trip is really more about just having some time off with my youngest son. I love traveling with my boys, and particularly relish individual time alone with each one as they are both just really fun to be with (though very different).

I will be posting each day. I think zqueeze is on this trip as well, so perhaps he will chime in too. I haven't been on Navigator in a couple of years, so will be interested in seeing how things are onboard.

If anyone has specific questions, please ask. I am pretty good about finding things out.

Hi Rachel, wishing you and your son a wonderful cruise. I recall your being a Mayan ruins junkie--will you be returning to Lamanai? I see that Belize City is not listed on any of the 2017 Caribbean Regent itineraries, so this could be your last chance to visit these ruins for some time. I'll also be interested in your Roatan report as our 2014 visit was scrubbed after we anchored that morning due to strong winds and big swells.

Rich

P.S. Say, Host Dan, could you do Rachel a favor and change "February" to "March" in the headline. I don't recall our being able to make corrections to headlines.

Good Morning! Ready to hop onboard and get this cruise started. Will stop by Galileo's Lounge after muster to say hello to you and your son if you are available. Will try to post also during the cruise.

Z and TB

Yes, Rich, we will indeed be returning lama at. Greats Mayan ruins, and just fun getting there.

I guess I am living in the past since my brain still thinks it is February. Our previous navigator cruise to the western Caribbean was in February with , and maybe that is stuck in my mind.

Zqueeze, Jon and I will look for you in galileo's after muster. He is a big very tall 25 year old with long hair. Looks like a football player. I am petite with salt and pepper hair.

March 10, 2016--embarkation in Miami

Jon and I woke up bright and early. We definitely could have slept in today, but we were excited to get going. So we decided to go walking, which was a great idea, except that today is incredibly windy. So half the time we were being propelled along to almost a run by the wind, and the other half we were slowed to a crawl. We dropped by CVS to pick up a few forgotten items and just looked around the Bayside area until 11:30. A quick taxi ride took us to the ship.

We had our passports inspected, went through security and filled out health forms quickly, but there was quite a line to get photo id and room keys. Fortunately the line moved quickly. I did notice a VERY large group of people with nametags on who are embarking. Apparently there is some incentive group on board. I am trying to reserve judgement, but what I have seen so far is not making me happy. Lots of people networking and talking loudly. I feel like I am at a convention.

We went up to La Veranda for lunch where I had my traditional salad and shrimp, also a tuna salad on pita that was just perfect. Outside dining area off the back was closed due to the still high winds, so we sat inside.

The rooms were ready just before 2:30, so we got unpacked and settled. The butler and cabin steward both came by and introduced themselves and made sure we had everything we needed. Very nice. Jon went up to workout in the gym while I got the room arranged.

Muster drill was at 5:15. And very efficient. There were a couple of cabins not accounted for. I would hate to be on that list.

Afterwards, Jon and I went up to Galileo's where we met zqueeze and his lovely wife for cocktails. We had a great time meeting and visiting with them. We were hoping to have the sail away while it was still light out , but there were a couple of passengers missing, so that was delayed. So our sail out was after dark. But still nice.

Dinner in compass rose was perfect. Jon and I both had mussels to start, which were out standing. We followed with a beef consumme and salad, then I had a sea bass which was quite good while Jon had a beef strip.

The show tonight was a cabaret type show by Joe chilsholm, one of the male performers. I thought it was really well done. He is a great singer, and his choice of music is very much to my taste, so I probably like it even more.

RachelG, sounds like your cruise is getting off to a great start! What are your initial impressions of the ship itself and your suite?

IMHO, there's nothing like that first onboard lunch and settling in. I always feel I'm "coming home"!

We are having dinner with him tonight so I will say hello, Marcie.

The ship is in good condition as far as being clean, but does need some refreshing as far as decor. This will be done prior to the world cruise.

Will post more later.

March 11,2016---at sea

We slept well, with gentle rocking seas. Jon was up early to go work out then swim in the pool. I slept in a little (7:45 which is a luxury for me). The morning was overcast early on, but the sun soon came out. Temperature is perfect, in upper 70s to 80. There was a slight breeze but nothing like yesterday.

I did my hour of walking/jogging. The gift shop is having a clearance sale, but the sizes were pretty picked over. If you are a man who wears a small or medium, you could find good bargains.

There was a walk around wine tasting in compass rose where they had all the available included wines out where you could sample them and pick out the ones you like best. A good idea, and one I haven't seen on the ship before.

Lunch on the deck is the Mexican buffet which is not regent's strong suit as far as pool deck buffets, IMO. So we ate in compass rose, which is fine for a sea day. A nice leisurely lunch, and Compass Rose was very quiet.

We had a relaxing afternoon, just reading and taking naps. Lots of people were out at the pool, but I did not see any pool hogging behavior. Also there are a few children onboard, but as far as I have observed, they are incredibly well behaved. The incentive group is really fine. Most have stopped wearing the nametags and have just settled in.

We were robbed at trivia. What type of vegetable is a rutabaga? The correct answer which we gave is a tuber or perhaps a root vegetable. We were told the answer was "turnip". But a rutabaga and a turnip are totally different. I am protesting.

It was the captain's welcome, but we skipped that to have an after trivia workout in the gym. Then dinner with John Barron and a lovely couple who are on their first regent cruise. We had a really wonderful time. And Marcie, I passed on your greeting to John. He says hello back and is loving being back at regent.

As far as menu, being the captain's welcome, I have caviar followed by red snapper, but there was also lobster and prime rib on offer. Both looked delicious. It was hard to make a choice as all were really good.

The show was "Piano Man" which is a combination Billy Joel and Elton John show. The second time I have seen it, and the current cast did great. I was very impressed with their performance. And the girls don't look anorexic, which is pleasing to me as a gynecologist.

The seas are really moving tonight. I will sleep well.

I wonder if the walk around wine tasting of the available included wines could be a nod to the discussions here about being more transparent in regard to "the list"?

Regardless of motive, agree that it is a great idea.

Good Morning. Having a bit of insomnia and helping out The Boss who is suffering from seasickness. We are in cabin 602 and really feeling the seas. Thank God that I am ok.

Below are our comments from yesterday. Sorry that I am a day behind but hope to catch up.

Day 1

Our plan was to have breakfast in south beach with the family, do a little sightseeing, then head to the ship. After taking two and a half hours to drive 25 miles, we gave up and headed to the cruise port. Thankfully, boarding was fast and painless with only 20 minutes from curbside to champagne.

We were very pleased to run into Olga, Regent's best bartender, and she sends out a big hello to Jackie. Lots of familiar faces onboard as crew.

After Muster we met Rachel and her son for a drink and really enjoyed meeting them. Great family.

Dinner was superb and I may have cried at one moment when we were served some beautiful scallops for an appetizers. Angels may have sung as the main course arrived. We asked if we could have some filipino lumpias as an appetizer for the following night.

Last cruise was a charter and, according to various crew members, were a handful and ran them ragged. Most bars stayed open later than usual and many guests consistently ordered multiple entrees at dinner. This cruise also has a group of 100 or so onboard with many of the ones I've spoken to are on their first cruise.

Z and TB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Zqueeze1

Today was a wonderful day. We also attended the wine tasting where I had a few extra pours. We partnered with Rachel for trivia and were robbed out of second place because of the Great Rutabaga injustice. We were at least rewarded with one Regent point each for third place.

Most of the day was spent relaxing and napping with the exception of attending a wonderful lecture called Ocean Worlds by NASA astrophysicist Dr Michelle Thaller.

We had a couple of drinks prior to dinner and decided on an early meal in order to beat the crowd from the Captain's reception. Thanks to Gerry from the Compass Room staff we were served a HUGE plate of lumpias and dumplings as an appetizer. Unfortunately, it was so much that we may have overdone it. We both had a salad and the lobster which was excellent. We skipped dessert and decided to relax in our cabin before the show.

Suddenly Pam was hit with wave after wave of seasickness. She's spent most of the night in total misery and giving me the evil eye because I am fine. All those years of flying low level have paid off. She is wearing a seasick bracelet which is not working and took some pills provided by reception. She has run through every stunt from "The Exorcist" movie except for her head spinning. We will most likely cancel our tour in Cozumel and let her rest. I may sneak into town and help out the local margarita vendors.

Z and TB

Karen. The little pink drink tally is three.

Edited by Zqueeze1

OH NO! I'm so sorry to hear about Pam....poor girl. I'm sure, if she is prone to seasickness, she has tried any and all remedies. However if she hasn't tried candied ginger, it might help. Years ago I suffered long and hard from morning sickness. It was the only thing that helped. Just a suggestion.....BTW, how is the Margarita situation? Have a couple for Jackie and I!!!

The Boss is all better now that we are on land. I am recommending margaritas at the Thirsty Cougar for medicinal purposes, but she's sticking to water. We cancelled our tours today and walked into town as a reward for my nursing prowess. Here's a pic of the cougar's traditional margarita. 48c07f2b7220504316c29978afc62a27.jpg

I give it a 9 out of 10.

Z and TB

Edited by Zqueeze1

Also sorry to hear about Pam and hope that she feels a bit better as the day goes on.

Should you find a restaurant that sends margaritas via overnight mail - think of Linda and I and how much we would love to have one or two or ......... ;)

Who is the C.D. onboard that does not understand a rutabaga? He/she needs to go back to school (or be forced to eat a rutabaga raw!:-)

Thrilled to hear that Olga is onboard. Please tell her that I'm sending hugs her way. She is such a lovely young woman!

Keep the reports coming.

Who is the C.D. onboard that does not understand a rutabaga? He/she needs to go back to school (or be forced to eat a rutabaga raw!:-)

I believe that Rutabagas are only called Rutabagas in North America. Throughout the rest of the world, they're known as Swedes. Derivation is Swedish Turnips; hence the Scottish term Neeps as on Burns Night when the traditional dish is Haggis with Neeps (swede/rutabaga) and Tatties (potatoes)

Divided by a common language :D:D.....................and the reason that all quiz teams need a mixture of nationalities :)