Transatlantic- Port or Starboard

Wondering if it is better to be on the port or starboard side when doing an eastbound transatlantic.

Right now we are on the port side but we could move to the starboard side. Would prefer to have sun.

Edited by OneMoreTime

I agree, starboard is preferable on an eastbound transatlantic cruise because of more sun exposure....which is fairly important because the sea days can be very chilly and you will enjoy your balcony more if it's a little warmer because of the sunshine.

Having done several crossings of the Atlantic it really does not matter.

Now a Pacific crossing heading to Asia is a bit different.

No worries about side but I would focus on location of your room on the deck.

Keith

You are not the only cruiser to have done multiple transatlantic cruises. Of course, you are welcome to your opinion but we prefer having the sunshine on our balcony....others may prefer more shade.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It certainly SEEMS like there should be more sun on the starboard side, but it hasn't really worked out that way for us. We have done several by the way. In reality the sun seems to rise nearly at the bow and set nearly at the stern, the difference has been very slight.

The course the ship steers can and does vary for many reasons including weather, but on our last TA on the favored starboard side I could not see the sunrise very well, nor the sunset, both were in front of and behind the ship and the mid day sun was nearly vertical above us.

Our last cruise we chose AFT and ended all the debates lol

• Like 1

Keith1010,

You are completely wrong. It does matter. Traveling eastbound, the

sun would be on the starboard side.

Well having done many transatlantic crossings including three in the last two year I stand with what I have said.

Often there is very little sun. :)

And even with the sun, no issues. :)

As I have said, my priority would be simple where the room is located.

And if there is sun that would be nice.

This is one that we can agree to disagree. And no I don't think I am wrong.

I am only sharing my experience which is from sailing many of these voyages.

Keith

• Like 2

This issue is easily solved . We did one of our TAs on Equinox in a stern balcony cabin with sunny & balmy days .We love the stern balcony with the sun ,wake behind us & the 180 degree views :D .the crossing was extremely calm like a lake .not a white cap to be found for the entire cruise on the Atlantic :D

As I have said, my priority would be simple where the room is located.

Keith

Keith1010,

She was not asking what your priority would be. :confused:

She was asking, "Would prefer to have sun."

On the 5 east bound crossings we have done, the sun has always

been on the STARBOARD side. :rolleyes:

Edited by eeeeaaa

Have done 16 TAs, half east- and half west-bound. Have to agree with those that say "starboard on an east-bound." Honestly, this is science, not opinion.

When TAs sail (usually April and November) the sun is largely in the southern sky. It does not rise in the East and set in the West as it does mid-summer, but rather rises in the SouthEast and sets in the SouthWest. If you are in a Starboard cabin, the sun will spend a good bit of the day on your side. Unless there is a course change, the sun will be on the Port side a whole lot less, if at all.

We are sailing from Fort Lauderdale to Southampton on April 10th on the Celebrity Eclipse. We are currently port side and thought about moving starboard but the cabin wasn't desirable. This is our first Transatlantic so we'll be more knowledgeable in the future should we opt to do another transatlantic cruise. Appreciate everyone's input.

You cannot generalize as the position of the sun depends on both the time of year and course of the ship (big difference going to Amsterdam vs Barcelona). And one's preference on the sun can depend on a few factors. For example, DW and I love to enjoy breakfast on our veranda without the sun shining in our eyes. But we also like to watch sunsets from our balcony. So if we were cruising from Florida to Amsterdam in March we would usually prefer a port side cabin. But when we cruised from Miami to Dakar, Senagal in April it was a different situation.

Hank

That would be the Silhouette departing Port Everglades on April 10 destined for Southampton, not the Eclipse. I do hope that the OP has the right ship.

Me too, fouremco. We're on the Eclipse TA and I was pretty certain of the date and port. However, I did pull up the invoice to be sure. :p

You cannot generalize as the position of the sun depends on both the time of year and course of the ship (big difference going to Amsterdam vs Barcelona). And one's preference on the sun can depend on a few factors. For example, DW and I love to enjoy breakfast on our veranda without the sun shining in our eyes. But we also like to watch sunsets from our balcony. So if we were cruising from Florida to Amsterdam in March we would usually prefer a port side cabin. But when we cruised from Miami to Dakar, Senagal in April it was a different situation.

Hank

Exactly.

Which is why we don't worry about which side we are on.

And it can be cloudy the entire time. :D

Keith

Just for the very few who might someday do a northern crossing(Iceland/ Greenland-awesome) , east or west bound, you might prefer the north side of the ship. You have a great chance to see the northern lights at night. Not as many sea days either.

• Like 1