Connecting time through EWR...

tgmtgm

Is 1 hour 40 minutes enough time to clear C and I in Newark? Arriving from Barcelona on United in May, connecting to SFO. Traveling in Business/First on both legs if that helps.

Thanks.

That's too tight for my taste. Even if both your flights are on UA, the inbound flight from Barcelona could come in to Terminal B(United international flights can come in to B or C) in which case you'll have to get from B to C for your UA flight to SFO. Heck, even if your flight arrives at Terminal C it still isn't enough time to be comfortable.

If your inbound is on time and if your inbound comes into C and not B and if you have Global Entry and if your bags come up quickly you have a chance of making it...that is a lot of ifs. If it was me I would not try it. Even going the other way, SFO to EWR to BCN you are cutting it close.

Definitely not enough time even with G.E. Newark is a large United hub for both domestic and international flights. After you get through C&I and redump your bags going back out into the main terminal is often a nightmare. Many of the international flights all arrive within a window that corresponds with a large number of outbound domestic flights. Even with G.E. I hate going through the security maze again. I have seen backup to get through security run near an hour and that is with pre-check/G.E. Just too many people and not enough staff at that time of day.

Additionally, regardless of any comments made during the GOP debate, there is an attitude of the workers there that isn't customer service oriented! I always try to avoid flying back through EWR, even if it costs more, but if I must I'd never consider anything under 2:30 for a connection time. The grief isn't worth it!

I usually try for about three hours at EWR, which gives a little leeway if the plane is late. I would rather have to wait a couple hours than be completely stressed. I have GE as an FYI.

ETA--If your seat is near the back of a wide body it can take 20 minutes from the time you get to the gate until you get off the plane. The longer it takes to get off the plane, the longer the line in front of you at CBP will be.

Edited by ducklite

Thank you all for the insight. My next question would be if United would allow me to change my flight to a later departure without a fee due to my concern with the connecting time? There's two more non stops to SFO that evening, one at 4pm and another at 6pm. My current flight is scheduled for 3:25pm. I don't fancy the latest flight as that would entail an almost 5 hour layover. Also want to stick to the non stops as they all have the Business/First lay flat seats versus the recliner ones on most domestic flights.

Thank you all for the insight. My next question would be if United would allow me to change my flight to a later departure without a fee due to my concern with the connecting time?

MCT at EWR, international to domestic is 90 minutes, so doubtful they would change your ticket at no charge.

You can always try calling and asking though.

Thank you all for the insight. My next question would be if United would allow me to change my flight to a later departure without a fee due to my concern with the connecting time? There's two more non stops to SFO that evening, one at 4pm and another at 6pm. My current flight is scheduled for 3:25pm. I don't fancy the latest flight as that would entail an almost 5 hour layover. Also want to stick to the non stops as they all have the Business/First lay flat seats versus the recliner ones on most domestic flights.

You can always ask. However, it is unlikely that United would allow a change without a fee to a flight itinerary that you chose and that is a legal connection. Be prepared for not only a change fee, but also paying any increase between the price you paid and the price if you purchased the ticket today.

You can always ask. However, it is unlikely that United would allow a change without a fee to a flight itinerary that you chose and that is a legal connection. Be prepared for not only a change fee, but also paying any increase between the price you paid and the price if you purchased the ticket today.

Figured that might be the case. I'll just have to take my chances that things fall into place. Although it's a tight connection, it's not worth the risk of having to pay a change fee at this point. It's on the return leg, so not a big deal if I miss my original flight. Home isn't going anywhere. Oh, and the current ticket price is over 3x what I paid, so no way in Hades will I cause the ticket to reprice. :eek:

EWR is my local airport, and both arrivals and departures are almost guaranteed to be late. I think it's one of the (if not the) lowest-rated airport in the US. I'm actually also flying EWR to BCN but I was sure to pick a nonstop flight because I knew from experience that trying to get to a connecting flight would be risky.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hi Tony:)....

I am flying out of Newark next month too....on United as well!

My flight arrives at 1:30 and my overseas flight from EWR

to Amsterdam leaves at 6pm......how fun sitting in the airport for nearly

4.5 hours LOL Oh well, better too much time than not enough:)

Edited by Lois R

Figured that might be the case. I'll just have to take my chances that things fall into place. Although it's a tight connection, it's not worth the risk of having to pay a change fee at this point. It's on the return leg, so not a big deal if I miss my original flight. Home isn't going anywhere. Oh, and the current ticket price is over 3x what I paid, so no way in Hades will I cause the ticket to reprice. :eek:

If it were me, I'd call the airline and ask if it can be changed. You're making an assumption that you'll have to pay a fee; however, this may not even be the case.

There is no harm in trying to get it changed to something more favorable.

Hi Tony:)....

I am flying out of Newark next month too....on United as well!

My flight arrives at 1:30 and my overseas flight from EWR

to Amsterdam leaves at 6pm......how fun sitting in the airport for nearly

4.5 hours LOL Oh well, better too much time than not enough:)

Last year my originating flight was so delayed that I missed my connecting long haul. Ended up downgraded from F to business when they put me on different routing and was none to happy about it. I am planning another trip to Europe next year and will be booking with a long layover to avoid that problem and the stress that went along with it from happening again.

I am making the dreaded EWR-JFK transfer on a coming up trip. I gave myself 6.5 hours of connection time. I had the option of 4 hours, but it wasn't worth the stress. IMO, United was chumps for pulling out of JFK, while many of their Star Alliance partners originate their overseas flights there.

I'm hoping all goes well and 6.5 hours is sufficient "that" day for the connections! :(

I am making the dreaded EWR-JFK transfer on a coming up trip. I gave myself 6.5 hours of connection time. I had the option of 4 hours, but it wasn't worth the stress. IMO, United was chumps for pulling out of JFK, while many of their Star Alliance partners originate their overseas flights there.

I'm hoping all goes well and 6.5 hours is sufficient "that" day for the connections! :(

You're flying EWR to JFK? You would probably be better off driving between those airports.

You're flying EWR to JFK? You would probably be better off driving between those airports.

No...it sounds like the poster is flying into EWR and then has an onward connecting flight that departs JFK (or possibly the other way around). They will be driving...or more likely will be driven between EWR and JFK. The situation. Is caused by United no longer serving JFK.

Edited by njhorseman

No...it sounds like the poster is flying into EWR and then has an onward connecting flight that departs JFK (or possibly the other way around). They will be driving...or more likely will be driven between EWR and JFK. The situation. Is caused by United no longer serving JFK.

Ugh! Definitely a pain. :-/

Sorry about the confusion.

My domestic flight is arriving at EWR. I then must collect baggage (30+ minutes) and meet limo for the drive to JFK, estimated at 60 minutes, if no weather problems or bad traffic accidents. So I figure I have already eaten up at least two hours of that 6+ hour layover, and that doesn't account for any late arrivals into EWR, which is a common occurrence. Then I have to recheck bags in JFK!. There is no way I would ever consider making this connection, for an international flight in less than 6 hours. It wouldn't take many problems for a 4 hour connection to go South in a hurry!

United did create the problem with they stopped service to JFK, where many of their Star Alliance partners flights originate.