Surge protector or power strip

BIG POOCH

So, last year we went on carnival, and they said you couldn't bring a surge protector, it had to be just a power strip.

So I sent an email to Norwegian today asking "Is a surge protector ok, or do we have to bring a power strip". The answer back was "Yes to your question"...

Does anyone know the true answer? Or were they saying either is ok?

So, last year we went on carnival, and they said you couldn't bring a surge protector, it had to be just a power strip. So I sent an email to Norwegian today asking "Is a surge protector ok, or do we have to bring a power strip". The answer back was "Yes to your question"... Does anyone know the true answer? Or were they saying either is ok?

In the past, we were always told a plain power strip. And on older ships, the surge protectors would actually cause circuit breaker trips because they don't use a standard hot-neutral-ground configuration. Actually is a fire hazard. If NCL has told you that a surge protect is ok, then take their word for it. We always carry a plain power strip and extention cords.

Whatever the NCL phone operator told you, please do not use a surge protector onboard any ship. These can fail without warning and cause a fire. Here is a USCG Safety Notice about surge protectors onboard ships:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjnnMuqwcHLAhWouIMKHWdJDtIQFggjMAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.uscg.mil%2Ftvncoe%2FDocuments%2Fsafetyalerts%2FSurgeProtectiveDevices.pdf&usg=AFQjCNEPXVHLCc4iP8x_ha6tGKkxy6aCQw&bvm=bv.116636494,d.amc

Also, I have been questioned concerning this Safety Notice, as not being applicable to cruise ships, so here is a thread where another CC member questioned why surge protectors were dangerous, and he went to experts and got the answers, and here is his thread, especially post #10 where he gives the explanation:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2271143

And, generally, the more times you use a surge protector onboard a ship, the more likely it is to fail, as I've said, without warning, and go into thermal runaway, causing a fire.

I like these because you can actually use all the outlets!

k2-_60653824-9a74-4cff-bde6-70a0f0e3adb9.v1.jpg

Great pick. Some PowerSquids DO have surge protectors in them, but the one you have pictured does not.

http://www.accellcables.com/products/powersquid-outlet-multiplier

I love my powerbars..... but recently I've switched to 3 and 6 outlet taps to avoid problems. The affordable taps also take up less luggage space without the cord.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Axis-3-Outlet-Wall-Adapter-45090/206346663

http://www.homedepot.com/p/15-Amp-6-Outlet-Grounding-Tap-White-YY-6ZA/203456720

Great idea on those, too.

In the past, we were always told a plain power strip. And on older ships, the surge protectors would actually cause circuit breaker trips because they don't use a standard hot-neutral-ground configuration. Actually is a fire hazard. If NCL has told you that a surge protect is ok, then take their word for it. We always carry a plain power strip and extention cords.

I used to work for NCL as a Chief Engineer, and I can tell you that surge protectors are not ok.

Wrong.

I have an electrical background. The principles outlined in cheng's posts/links above, as well as the info in the USCG bulletin are sound.

Surge protectors are not okay. Nothing a phone rep says can change how electricity works.

Fire damage as a result of using a commercially available surge protection device (SPD):

fire-damage-surge-protector.jpg

I very much doubt that "NCL" told anyone a surge protector is ok. An anonymous cruise consultant who works for NCL may have said that - but many of us have experienced misinformation from cruise consultants.

I lot of people bring power strips when what they are really plugging in are a bunch of things that need to charge via USB. If this is the case, bring a multi- port USB hub (like the one pictured below) and leave the power strip at home. It takes up much less space on the counter.

http://www.amazon.com/Anker-Charger-PowerPort-Multi-Port-Samsung/dp/B00VH958F0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1458047898&sr=8-2&keywords=anker+multi+usb+port

31abe-wCAHL.jpg

I lot of people bring power strips when what they are really plugging in are a bunch of things that need to charge via USB. If this is the case, bring a multi- port USB hub (like the one pictured below) and leave the power strip at home. It takes up much less space on the counter.

http://www.amazon.com/Anker-Charger-PowerPort-Multi-Port-Samsung/dp/B00VH958F0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1458047898&sr=8-2&keywords=anker+multi+usb+port

31abe-wCAHL.jpg

Saw this on the what to bring thread and bought one to bring on my next cruise. We always brought a power strip before.

Saw this on the what to bring thread and bought one to bring on my next cruise. We always brought a power strip before.

We are charging phones, ipads, kindle, camera, GoPro, fitbits, GPS watch, etc. They all use USB, and so all we need is 1 outlet of the 2 in the cabin wall. The other outlet stays empty the entire trip.

I like these because you can actually use all the outlets!

k2-_60653824-9a74-4cff-bde6-70a0f0e3adb9.v1.jpg

Thanks. I just finished purchasing one at Amazon.com

It will come in handy not only for our upcoming cruise but also for our motel stays.

31abe-wCAHL.jpg

I researched this product for a Carnival forum thread, and found that it is in fact surge protected. There are very few USB ports that are not surge protected, and it takes some research to the manufacturer's website, or even contacting them to be sure. The only one I have found that is guaranteed not to have a surge protector is the Zilu 4 port hub. This information was received directly from Zilu, and was informed that all of their other products were surge protected. Unfortunately, buying online does not allow checking the packaging or the fine print on the device, so the buyer should be wary.

I researched this product for a Carnival forum thread, and found that it is in fact surge protected. There are very few USB ports that are not surge protected, and it takes some research to the manufacturer's website, or even contacting them to be sure. The only one I have found that is guaranteed not to have a surge protector is the Zilu 4 port hub. This information was received directly from Zilu, and was informed that all of their other products were surge protected. Unfortunately, buying online does not allow checking the packaging or the fine print on the device, so the buyer should be wary.

Thanks for that info! I had checked, and it didn't appear to be, but like you said, you can't always tell online.

I very much doubt that "NCL" told anyone a surge protector is ok. An anonymous cruise consultant who works for NCL may have said that - but many of us have experienced misinformation from cruise consultants.

Well you can "very much doubt" all you want, but here is the email I received from NCL today:

My email to them:

Question: Yes to surge protectors or yes to outlet strips or both?

NCL's Response:

Good day,

Yes to both.

Regards,

Nomie Joseph | Access Desk Coordinator

Njoseph@ncl.com

800-327-9020 ext. 26214 | fax 305-468-2171

Doesn't make it correct.

Sorry, but I'll take the word of a Chief Engineer over an access desk coordinator any day.

You should forward her a copy of the USCG bulletin linked above...then see what she says.

Edit: Nevermind. I did it myself. I'll let you know what she says.

Begin forwarded message:

Subject: Surge Protection Devices

Date: March 15, 2016 at 7:57:08 PM PDT

Hello.

Recently you advised a fellow passenger on the use of surge protection devices and power strips. In your response, you indicated that both were acceptable.

Can you please confirm this? I am interested in surge protectors specifically as they relate to the attached US Coast Guard bulletin, which advises against the use of commercially available surge protective devices (SPDs).

I have a couple of upcoming sailings with NCL on the Jewel and want to be sure we are only bringing equipment that is safe for the ship.

Thank you,

Edited by triptolemus

I very much doubt that "NCL" told anyone a surge protector is ok.

NCL did tell me a surge protector was ok. You are right, the average cruise consultant or who ever you talk to only has the information they have. If NCL does not make sure they have the correct info it is NCL's fault. But again, my thread was about how many plug ins were in the room not the surge protector debate.

Edited by sprint180