Staying on Board - Port Days

kalypso333

A repeat post from our roll call:

A question for those who have stayed on the ship in port days - especially in St. Thomas. Can the deck get extremely hot and can there be enough wind to make it comfortable? I'm not asking for weather predictions, just other experiences - especially in St. Thomas as we are considering staying onboard.

Because we have been to St. Thomas a number of times and tend to hit the bars, I'm thinking about staying onboard to leverage our drink package.

We will be in St. Thomas second half of next month.

Kip

Edited by kalypso333

A repeat post from our roll call:

A question for those who have stayed on the ship in port days - especially in St. Thomas. Can the deck get extremely hot and can there be enough wind to make it comfortable? I'm not asking for weather predictions, just other experiences - especially in St. Thomas as we are considering staying onboard.

Because we have been to St. Thomas a number of times and tend to hit the bars, I'm thinking about staying onboard to leverage our drink package.

We will be in St. Thomas second half of next month.

Kip

We've stayed onboard in St Thomas numerous times, and yes - it's hot on the open decks. That's why there are pools! Usually it's not too hot, fortunately the ship is mostly empty so shade is readily available and pools are not crowded, and bars are empty - and pool bartenders are readily available! There's usually a light breeze. It will depend also in the weather on your particular day.

Give it a go, you may be pleasantly surprised hoe enjoyable it can be...

Half the ship will be in shade so obviously not all the deck will be hot and in the shade. A breeze? Likely but you never know. It is likely to be quite warm by the pool as not completely open. lots of places onboard are A/C.

We've stayed onboard in St Thomas numerous times, and yes - it's hot on the open decks. That's why there are pools! Usually it's not too hot, fortunately the ship is mostly empty so shade is readily available and pools are not crowded, and bars are empty - and pool bartenders are readily available! There's usually a light breeze. It will depend also in the weather on your particular day.

Give it a go, you may be pleasantly surprised hoe enjoyable it can be...

Thanks for the response - I think you get my thought exactly. Stay on board, enjoy the pools that you don't get to normally and hit the bars in the shade. I'm thinking about staying on board and avoiding the beaches. Great ideas!

Kip

Edited by kalypso333

Another idea if you have never done it - head over to St. John. We enjoyed it even though we are not big beach/snorkel people. It's easy to get to on your own. But I also agree that days onboard in port can be so nice and relaxing. Plan to do that on our next cruise in Dominica.

If you have never experienced staying on board on port days, do it. We enjoy sleeping in late, breakfast on our balcony watching the lines of buses and cruisers hustling off. The ship is quiet, seating is available wherever you want. The staff is less busy and fun to visit with them.

No one will tell you it will be "hot" or not for you. But no one will steal your chair if you decide to move inside or in the shade for awhile. It's a nice change.

Another option as mentioned is leaving St Thomas for St. John.

WE frequently stay on board in St. Thomas and other ports.

We find the most breeze to be on the highest decks in port, not by the pool. There is always a shady side with loungers, and if lucky a spot in the shade with a breeze.

We make a point to stay on board AT LEAST one port day on every sailing. It is particularly nice to do it when you know the stop will be a popular place for folks to get off (like St. Thomas). It is just lovely having the run of the ship with so few people on board. If you are looking for a breeze, a bit of sun, a bit of shade... what have you, you'll have no challenge finding just the right place to settle in on a port day.

P.S. - the spa usually has decent specials on port days, if that happens to be your thing, and, if so, can be worked into your day of relaxation on your "private yacht" for the day!!!