Luggage - I can't squeeze into 1 bag

sandydandy4

...I didn't want to do laundry since I'm on vacation :) I do laundry all the time at home. ...

Fortunately for you, all or most riverboats don't have self-serve laundries, so you can just pay a little to send them out!

...We do get free laundry now as repeat cruisers on Uniworld, but if you have to pay to have a few things laundered, it's worth it.

And how many cruises or days do you have to have before this kicks in? :o

So now you've got me thinking about packing for my Amsterdam - Budapest trip in mid-September to the beginning of October. Since I live in Toronto, I believe I'll be wearing pretty much what I'd be wearing at home. Summery city clothes, with some long sleeves for evening and a windbreaker/rain jacket and perhaps a fleece in case it gets chilly. My walking shoes, which I wear when I fly, my walking sandals if the weather holds, and a couple of light pairs of evening shoes for the boat. Since I rarely wear dresses, probably just one long skirt and several nice tops, plus my usual capris and/or cords and t-shirts for day use and some lightweight pants for evening. I suspect that will be in my rollaboard very nicely, although we have the option of moving up to one large checked bag and one rollaboard.

We did Tauck River Cruise to France last summer and I was concerned about luggage restrictions too, but worked out fine! We each took 24in wheeled luggage to check with 50b. limit, wheeled carryon, backpack for him, and large tote for me(I use this in place of purse). Wear your coats(hassle at checkin at airport), heaviest pants and top, bulkiest shoes and packing should not be problem! We tend to take light weight jackets, because layering is the way we travel(cooler in mornings and warmer by noon)! Take less dressy clothes and repeat outfits(nobody notices-I promise)! Hope you have a wonderful trip!

EXAMPLE: Lufthansa carry on weight restriction is 8kg (17.6 pounds) - they do weigh and if you can't get it down to that you have to check it and pay for it assuming that put you over your included luggage limit. :mad:

To those traveling on Lufthansa, take this post seriously. LH does weigh each carry on when checking in. Then carry on items are tagged as cabin baggage. This will include purses, (I always pack my purse inside my carry on) totes, backpacks etc as well as a rolling carry on. 17.6 lbs is not a lot. They may weigh again at the gate although this did not happen on our flights. I have read that agents will use hand held scales at the gate to again weigh any items that look as if they could be over weight.

When we do take a checked bag it is a 24 inch Rollerboard. Unless we are careful we can end up with it over 50 lbs. I have a hard time understanding how people mentioning 28 and 29 inch bags are keeping them under 50 lbs (the limit at which most airlines start charging LARGE penalty fees). How do you keep these under 50 lbs?:confused:

Thom

How do you keep these under 50 lbs?:confused:

Thom

When I carefully pack at home, there is space left in the suitcase that I fill with lightweight packing material. As the trip goes on and dirty laundry piles up, I discard the packing material. The weight is still under 50 lbs but the scrunched up clothes take up more space than they did before when they were carefully folded. ... and then there are some souvenirs.:D

Good reminder re: packing material. We always fill the empty spaces in our suitcases with bubble wrap and throw in a roll of tape. Bubble wrap will be there to protect any delicate souvenirs or you can pass the wrap on to other passengers who might need some. You'll become their best friend all of a sudden !

Also, as your journey ends, remember there is probably a scale in the gym on board. We always borrow it for 10 minutes and bring it up to our cabin and check the weight of our suitcases...just in case :)

If you are a repeat customer with Uniworld, you get one complementary bag of laundry done per person per week. It is amazing how much you can jam into that laundry bag!

And as others have stated...no one will remember what you wore yesterday, so wear it again!

Well I tossed and turned all night because I was unpacking and repacking in my mind. I woke up this morning and took everything out of my bag and started eliminating things. I did it! I weighed my bag and it is exactly 50 pounds. I have a couple days to perhaps eliminate a few more things or move one or two items to a carry on. I read all of the posts and incorporated a few ideas that work for me. I have packed an empty small duffle bag for the souvenirs that I will buy on my 26 day trip. Whoo hoo, doing the happy dance.:):)

Well I tossed and turned all night because I was unpacking and repacking in my mind. I woke up this morning and took everything out of my bag and started eliminating things. I did it! I weighed my bag and it is exactly 50 pounds. I have a couple days to perhaps eliminate a few more things or move one or two items to a carry on. I read all of the posts and incorporated a few ideas that work for me. I have packed an empty small duffle bag for the souvenirs that I will buy on my 26 day trip. Whoo hoo, doing the happy dance.:):)

Congratulations, sandy....we all knew you could do it!!! I would try to drop another few pounds though, not to upset you, but I've had my bag weigh in at 50+ when my travel scale put it at 45!! When I told them they put my bag on a different scale and sure enough it weighed in under 50 pounds. It's not that the airlines are dishonest, they just don't calibrate the scale as often as they need to. Have a wonderful trip.

Paid for over weight luggage once never again! Because I use to travel alone to Europe involving a train trip to meet my husband. I had to have luggage I could lift! I bought a 27" Samosnite Cosmolite it weighs only 7 pounds and 4 ounces. It was expensive but it is well traveled with no issues.

Second seating

Just make sure there's some empty space in your carry on. If the checked bag weighs too heavy, take stuff out until it's 50 (or the clerk gives up because of the delay!) and cram it in the carry on.

Also remember to have an empty tote bag in the carryon in case they decide to check it at the gate -- then you can remove the stuff you really want on the plane.

Isn't air travel a wonderful way to start a vacation? That idea of taking the QM2 over the pond sounds better and better!

Just make sure there's some empty space in your carry on. If the checked bag weighs too heavy, take stuff out until it's 50 (or the clerk gives up because of the delay!) and cram it in the carry on.

Also remember to have an empty tote bag in the carryon in case they decide to check it at the gate -- then you can remove the stuff you really want on the plane.

Isn't air travel a wonderful way to start a vacation? That idea of taking the QM2 over the pond sounds better and better!

I'd love to go on QM2 but I don't see it happening unless I win lottery.:D

The only thing I can add is that packing cubes really help with keeping your suitcase organized.They don't help with the weight restrictions, but help with not having to constantly churn the suitcase looking for the right piece of clothing. My husband and I did 43 days to Australia including a New Zealand cruise with two 24 inch, 35 pound suitcases and two smallish carry ons. I was pretty sick of the nine tank tops and t shirts that I wore, laundered and wore again, but it was liberating to have a manageable suitcase!

The only thing I can add is that packing cubes really help with keeping your suitcase organized.They don't help with the weight restrictions, but help with not having to constantly churn the suitcase looking for the right piece of clothing. My husband and I did 43 days to Australia including a New Zealand cruise with two 24 inch, 35 pound suitcases and two smallish carry ons. I was pretty sick of the nine tank tops and t shirts that I wore, laundered and wore again, but it was liberating to have a manageable suitcase!

I love my packing cubes and do not take even a weekend trip without them.

They keep me organized and I limit myself to what I can fit in the cube I have designated for a particular category. When I unpack I put the cube into a drawer or onto a closet shelf, unzip it and then I always know where to find everything. If customs or security choose me to inspect, my bag is a series of cubes and they have not inspected further, therefore they are not touching my items.

I have them in every size and never leave home without them.

When we do take a checked bag it is a 24 inch Rollerboard. Unless we are careful we can end up with it over 50 lbs. I have a hard time understanding how people mentioning 28 and 29 inch bags are keeping them under 50 lbs (the limit at which most airlines start charging LARGE penalty fees). How do you keep these under 50 lbs?:confused:

Thom

It is easier to make the 50 lbs leaving the house than returning with the souvenirs and travel books.

We try not to pack books and heavy items in the luggage. I carry a soft briefcase which includes key documents, files on the trip, camera paperback books for the trip, etc. I try to put travel books there or in a cloth carryon that I originally pack in the large suitcase.

The problem comes about when returning from Europe where your first flight is not transatlantic. If you are on a connecting flight, the airlines weigh your carryon stuff, including DW's purse, my briefcase, as commented on earlier. Had to pay 60 GBP from Heathrow to CDG, Air France because of that.

They keep me organized and I limit myself to what I can fit in the cube I have designated for a particular category. When I unpack I put the cube into a drawer or onto a closet shelf, unzip it and then I always know where to find everything. If customs or security choose me to inspect, my bag is a series of cubes and they have not inspected further, therefore they are not touching my items.

I do the same thing without the packing cubes. I bought a box of jumbo zip lock bags and pack 1-2 outfits per bag then squeeze the air out. It keeps the clothes from wrinkling and also makes it easy for customs or security to inspect the bag since they can see through everything...and the bags come in handy coming home for anything that might be damp or still clean and I want it separate from the worn clothes. When I get home I just keep the empty bags in my suitcase and use them over and over till the zips give out. :D

I used to love flying to a destination - it was part of the overall trip. Now it's such a hassle - I hate it. The QM2 looks better and better for sure!

I used to love flying to a destination - it was part of the overall trip. Now it's such a hassle - I hate it. The QM2 looks better and better for sure!

Remember when men wore suits and ties and women wore dresses and heels to fly? And they served you on real dishes...that's when flying was part of the adventure of travel.....now a plane is just a bus with wings.

Remember when men wore suits and ties and women wore dresses and heels to fly? And they served you on real dishes...that's when flying was part of the adventure of travel.....now a plane is just a bus with wings.

The bus seats on our river cruise excursions have been nicer than airplane coach class!

I do! And we complained about the food - little did we know what was in the near future! :D

I've been more comfortable on NJ transit and I'm not going as far!

Hydrokitty,

I remember those days. It was the 50s and early 60s, before the counterculture wore grunge and dumbed down our style.

I remember my Dad would put on a coat and tie to take the family to the Dairy Queen for an ice cream sundae.

When I entered Law School in 1969, we still had a dress code to wear a coat and tie for men, dresses for women. It changed the next year to jeans and whatever covered your chest.

Hydrokitty,

I remember those days. It was the 50s and early 60s, before the counterculture wore grunge and dumbed down our style.

I remember my Dad would put on a coat and tie to take the family to the Dairy Queen for an ice cream sundae.

When I entered Law School in 1969, we still had a dress code to wear a coat and tie for men, dresses for women. It changed the next year to jeans and whatever covered your chest.

I'm older than you....we had to wear dresses and heels or suits (not pant suits) and your hair had to be off your face, your make-up done as well as your homework, and jeans weren't permitted anywhere on campus except on Saturdays. These are changes I can live with....flying today not so much.

I just bought some packing cubes for my upcoming cruise and I'm looking forward to using them. I also purchased a few compression bags to use. I'm going on a 35 day ocean cruise and while I don't need to worry about suitcases per se (I'm on Southwest and domestic only flights - you get 2 bags free) I'm hoping to take only one 26" spinner and a 21" rolling carryon. It may sound like a lot, but I've got big feet, so shoes take up space, and I'm also taking my snorkeling fins/mask set.

I just bought some packing cubes for my upcoming cruise and I'm looking forward to using them. I also purchased a few compression bags to use. I'm going on a 35 day ocean cruise and while I don't need to worry about suitcases per se (I'm on Southwest and domestic only flights - you get 2 bags free) I'm hoping to take only one 26" spinner and a 21" rolling carryon. It may sound like a lot, but I've got big feet, so shoes take up space, and I'm also taking my snorkeling fins/mask set.

That's the problem with my husband. One pair of shoes takes up a LOT of space.

From Me:

There's a question on Cruise Critic about the limit of one suitcase per person and if one has a second suitcase will that be a problem when checking in?

Avalon:

Porterage for one bag is included in your vacation price. Your single bag should have dimensions not exceeding 30 X21 X 11 and weigh not exceeding 50lbs. Some vacations have more restrictions than this. Please give us a call at 877-245-6287 and we will be happy to advise you.

ME:

If a guest has 2 bags, under 50 lbs, is there an extra fee?

Avalon:

Hello Rebecca, We are excited to have you traveling with us in a few months! Due to space limitations, each passenger may bring aboard the vessel one suitcase without charge, and additional baggage may be subject to an excess baggage charge. You can bring a carry-on bag in addition to the Suitcase. Carry-on bags should not exceed the dimensions of 12"x11"x6". For safety reasons, wheeled carry-on bags are not suitable as hand luggage on vacations that use motor coaches and mini-buses for any part of the itinerary. Passengers are allowed their carry-on bag and one additional bag in the form of a camera bag, handbag or something similar. Carry-on bags must be small enough to store in overhead bins or under the seat in front of you on motor coaches and other transportation used in addition to the cruise ship.