Luggage - I can't squeeze into 1 bag

sandydandy4

That sounds very restrictive. AMA had no problems with our wheeled carryon bags (one each, in addition to one large wheeled checked bag each) on the bus post-extension of our Rhine cruise. Nor did we have any issues bringing all those bags on ship on either the Rhine or the Rhone cruises.

That sounds very restrictive. AMA had no problems with our wheeled carryon bags (one each, in addition to one large wheeled checked bag each) on the bus post-extension of our Rhine cruise. Nor did we have any issues bringing all those bags on ship on either the Rhine or the Rhone cruises.

I'm on a cruise right now and have very limited access to websites, so my question:

I'm taking the Prinsendam to Amsterdam and hopping on an Avalon cruise from the Rhine to the Rhone/Saone and then back to the Qm2 - 7 weeks. I'm the only person in my room shouldn't I naturally be allowed 2 suitcases anyway?

I had two on AMA last year but we weren't bussing from one ship to another. Do you have any insight on this?

Thanks for any help.

From Me:

There's a question on Cruise Critic about the limit of one suitcase per person and if one has a second suitcase will that be a problem when checking in?

Avalon:

Porterage for one bag is included in your vacation price. Your single bag should have dimensions not exceeding 30 X21 X 11 and weigh not exceeding 50lbs. Some vacations have more restrictions than this. Please give us a call at 877-245-6287 and we will be happy to advise you.

ME:

If a guest has 2 bags, under 50 lbs, is there an extra fee?

Avalon:

Hello Rebecca, We are excited to have you traveling with us in a few months! Due to space limitations, each passenger may bring aboard the vessel one suitcase without charge, and additional baggage may be subject to an excess baggage charge. You can bring a carry-on bag in addition to the Suitcase. Carry-on bags should not exceed the dimensions of 12"x11"x6". For safety reasons, wheeled carry-on bags are not suitable as hand luggage on vacations that use motor coaches and mini-buses for any part of the itinerary. Passengers are allowed their carry-on bag and one additional bag in the form of a camera bag, handbag or something similar. Carry-on bags must be small enough to store in overhead bins or under the seat in front of you on motor coaches and other transportation used in addition to the cruise ship.

30x22x11 is a very large bag. Easy to go over 50# with that one. As for no rolling carry on, that does seem restrictive. We have a small rolling carry on (filled it met LH 17 lb requirement) that we have used so that we can have a change of clothes with us as well as other items that you shouldn't check. Easier to roll it thru the larger airports. With Avalon's guidelines, this wouldn't be allowed. We also had a 26 in and 22in that we checked. AMA had no problem with this on the ship or on the bus. At the end of our cruise, we had arranged for a private guide and car to pick us up at the ship. The guide seemed surprised that we didn't have more luggage. She commented that most Americans travel with much more. This was a 14 night trip and we had no problem fitting all our clothes in along with our purchases.

I'd love to go on QM2 but I don't see it happening unless I win lottery.

QM2 Hamburg to NYC with a balcony

cost us less that one business class and one standard flying to Budapest (via Warsaw)

YES you CAN run up a bar bill on the QM that won't happen when flying .... but you don't need to be concerned about shore excursions on a TA!!!!

What's an extra 10 days?????

I realize the wording from Avalon states that your carry-on should not be a rolling one. But they state that it's "for safety reasons in coaches" I think what they are talking about is ON THE BUS. I don't see the rolling carry-on being a problem as long as you were willing to put it in the luggage hold of the bus. I CAN see it being a problem if you wanted to bring it on the bus as most of the busses we've been on have a very narrow aisle with very, very little overhead space. For that a medium cloth shoulder day bag is what we usually carry on the bus.

Our airline carry-on bag is definitely a rolling one. No way I'm going through Heathrow, Charles de Gaulle, or Frankfort with a non-rolling one!

I realize the wording from Avalon states that your carry-on should not be a rolling one. But they state that it's "for safety reasons in coaches" I think what they are talking about is ON THE BUS. I don't see the rolling carry-on being a problem as long as you were willing to put it in the luggage hold of the bus. I CAN see it being a problem if you wanted to bring it on the bus as most of the busses we've been on have a very narrow aisle with very, very little overhead space. For that a medium cloth shoulder day bag is what we usually carry on the bus.

Our airline carry-on bag is definitely a rolling one. No way I'm going through Heathrow, Charles de Gaulle, or Frankfort with a non-rolling one!

I don't care which company you sail the rivers of Europe with (we sailed Avalon) the buses they put us on will NOT accommodate any normal airline carry on. The is almost zero room under the seats and the area above the seats might be suitable for a coat or briefcase sized tote. The is just nearly enough room to walk down the isle. All carryons rolling or not go under the bus. Ladies can manage (just barely) to bring a largish purse or tote and stuff it at your feet.

Avalon will not say a word if you each have 3 bags, no body cares and there IS ample room in your cabin to store those bags.

Edited by JVilleGal

They had the same restrictions when we sailed with them. The issue is that carry ons must fit in the overhead area on the bus. This is quite compact and cannot accommodate a airline regulation carry. We used soft side, medium backpacks instead and had to sit with them on our lap several times. They allow one bag per person to be put in the luggage bin under the bus.

They had the same restrictions when we sailed with them. The issue is that carry ons must fit in the overhead area on the bus. This is quite compact and cannot accommodate a airline regulation carry. We used soft side, medium backpacks instead and had to sit with them on our lap several times. They allow one bag per person to be put in the luggage bin under the bus.

I'm pretty sure we are talking about Avalon and last Sept. We each had 2 rolling bags a 24" and a 20" roll aboard plus a good size tote.

Never did any one say anything about number of bags and we saw many with enormous multiple bags. Everything but the smallest totes go under the coach.

When we checked in they simply wanted to know how many tags for under the coach we needed. We then left and toured some more and made our own way to the ship. We arrived before other passengers but all the bags had already arrived and were being delivered to cabins.

Avalon may wish to limit the number of bags but I saw zero enforcement or even raised eyebrows.

Just my experience!

I'm pretty sure we are talking about Avalon and last Sept. We each had 2 rolling bags a 24" and a 20" roll aboard plus a good size tote...

Avalon may wish to limit the number of bags but I saw zero enforcement or even raised eyebrows.

I was speaking of our Avalon trips, yes. AMA and Uniworld did not have luggage restrictions.

We always comply with what is advised by the carrier/cruise line and therefore have no experience with what happens when a passenger does not do so with Avalon.

We have never traveled with more than one medium (24") roller bag and a carry on each, no matter the length of trip or season. And sometimes with less. We need to be able to handle our own luggage on trains and public transport, as well as walking a fair distance with our bags if required.

Edited by caviargal

Depends upon the country in which one is traveling. It's like all the different rules on using the on bus bathrooms. Some countries, no problem, other countries, the bus has to pull over and stop while one is inside the bus's toilet. Some countries require that all luggage must either fit overhead, in the tiny bins or under the seat, no handhelds, while other countries aren't as strict. The buses can wedge the large suitcases in, but they do not like the small carry ons, underneath, that can roll around, shift around, and possibly cause damage to other peoples goods. This is particularly the case in those countries with stricter laws on what can remain inside the bus.

Im not allowed to carry more than 10 lbs. A roller carry on is a must for me. My roller meets AA guidelines and I'm bringing it. One suitcase each, one carry on each and I will have my camera case. That's it.

I'm pretty sure we are talking about Avalon and last Sept. We each had 2 rolling bags a 24" and a 20" roll aboard plus a good size tote.

Never did any one say anything about number of bags and we saw many with enormous multiple bags. Everything but the smallest totes go under the coach.

When we checked in they simply wanted to know how many tags for under the coach we needed. We then left and toured some more and made our own way to the ship. We arrived before other passengers but all the bags had already arrived and were being delivered to cabins.

Just my experience!

Under Baggage -

Portage in hotels, one bag is included at hotels in the price of the cruise. Then later it goes on to say that "one more than one piece of luggage can not be accepted for vacations OUTSIDE of Europe".

No wonder I had no issues with my Danube River cruise, if you read the rules they just make these restrictions for outside of Europe and mention that carry on's need to be limited inside the coach because of tight spaces.

Scroll down to baggage allowance. I think this is much to do about nothing ;)

http://m.avalonwaterways.com/terms/

Edited by JVilleGal

Under Baggage -

Portage in hotels, one bag is included at hotels in the price of the cruise. Then later it goes on to say that "one more than one piece of luggage can not be accepted for vacations OUTSIDE of Europe".

No wonder I had no issues with my Danube River cruise, if you read the rules they just make these restrictions for outside of Europe and mention that carry on's need to be limited inside the coach because of tight spaces.

Scroll down to baggage allowance. I think this is much to do about nothing ;)

http://m.avalonwaterways.com/terms/

You are awesome. I missed that part! :) Whew. Crisis averted and I don't have to go buy another carry on.

s

You are awesome. I missed that part! :) Whew. Crisis averted and I don't have to go buy another carry on.

You can't believe the bags I saw bring put onboard the Avalon Illumination last Sept I know that there was never any issues in regards to limiting bags in Europe and the info on The T & C backs that up.

We absolutely over packed and that was with a 24 in bag and a 20 in roll aboard. Did not wear 1/2 of what I brought due to the lovely casual atmosphere of the ship and my fellow cruisers!

s

You can't believe the bags I saw bring put onboard the Avalon Illumination last Sept I know that there was never any issues in regards to limiting bags in Europe and the info on The T & C backs that up.

We absolutely over packed and that was with a 24 in bag and a 20 in roll aboard. Did not wear 1/2 of what I brought due to the lovely casual atmosphere of the ship and my fellow cruisers!

I do the same thing. I'm trying very hard to plan better this trip. With a week in Prague before and 5 days in Paris after, I have a few extras I have to bring for specific occasions but I plan to make the most of my every day wear and my evening attire on the boat. I can always make due with one suitcase but the big guy struggles. I got packing cubes for this trip so I hope that will help him organize a bit better. I've never brought a roll aboard on the plane before but since we will be traveling for two days (leave Hawaii on the 18th and Arrive Prague on the 20th) we are going to want to shower and change at some point. We'll be at LAX nearly 8 hours. I don't normally carry a change of clothes and associate toiletries. Usually it's just the camera, iPad, Computer, etc.

I'm glad to know that your personal experience with luggage was good. I'm feeling a bit less stressed about this topic now.

I do the same thing. I'm trying very hard to plan better this trip. With a week in Prague before and 5 days in Paris after, I have a few extras I have to bring for specific occasions but I plan to make the most of my every day wear and my evening attire on the boat. I can always make due with one suitcase but the big guy struggles. I got packing cubes for this trip so I hope that will help him organize a bit better. I've never brought a roll aboard on the plane before but since we will be traveling for two days (leave Hawaii on the 18th and Arrive Prague on the 20th) we are going to want to shower and change at some point. We'll be at LAX nearly 8 hours. I don't normally carry a change of clothes and associate toiletries. Usually it's just the camera, iPad, Computer, etc.

I'm glad to know that your personal experience with luggage was good. I'm feeling a bit less stressed about this topic now.

Be sure and pack your carry on as if you will never see your checked bag again.

We had 2 couples who spent their entire 15 days on the river with no bags. So put at least 3 outfits and shoes in that carry on. Then of course you as long as you do that your bags will show up! :)

PS we made regular use of the laundry! They do a lovely job, I intentionally did NOT look at the prices. Decided if I could afford a River Cruise in Europe then I could certainly afford to send the laundry out!

And this is from the girl who use to choose a cruise ship cabin based on being located near the self serve laundry! ;)

PS we made regular use of the laundry! They do a lovely job, I intentionally did NOT look at the prices. Decided if I could afford a River Cruise in Europe then I could certainly afford to send the laundry out!

And this is from the girl who use to choose a cruise ship cabin based on being located near the self serve laundry! ;)

I plan to make use of the laundry as well. I worry with all the changes we have to make on this trip that our luggage won't make it but I'm going to be optimistic. :). I will cry if my dress for our photo shoot in Paris doesn't make it. :(.

We have gradually refined the technique of packing 1-2 days of clothes in the carry on, and also cross-packing the two checked bags so if at least one shows up we are good for a while. Not only does it give us confidence, but there is a feeling that the lost-luggage gods will be mollified and our bags won't go astray at all!

We have gradually refined the technique of packing 1-2 days of clothes in the carry on, and also cross-packing the two checked bags so if at least one shows up we are good for a while. Not only does it give us confidence, but there is a feeling that the lost-luggage gods will be mollified and our bags won't go astray at all!

We will have to do that on this trip. Maybe a special Hawaiian blessing over my luggage before we leave as well.

Be sure and pack your carry on as if you will never see your checked bag again.

We had 2 couples who spent their entire 15 days on the river with no bags. So put at least 3 outfits and shoes in that carry on. Then of course you as long as you do that your bags will show up! :)

I second that suggestion. Our luggage has been late several days on 2 of the 5 river cruise trips we have taken. The first time, we arrived on a Sunday and I believe a holiday, which meant there were no shops open, so we had to make do with what we were wearing and purchases from the small shop on the ship. The second time, we had packed a change of clothes and shops were open, so we were able to purchase a couple of outfits to get us through the next couple of days. Our luggage finally caught up with us on both trips at the end of the third day. So I would rather be safe than sorry! On the return trip to the US, the carry-on is checked through with the other piece of luggage.

Cole