Hotel stay narrowed to Hyatt Pier 66 or Embassy Suites...Can you help?

iluvcruises

Going to stay a few nights after cruise. We have it narrowed down between two hotels, one being the Hyatt Regency Pier 66 and the Embassy Suites 17th Street. I like that the Embassy Suites has breakfast but no free wifi which we use. The Hyatt doesn't have breakfast but free wifi. They both charge for parking (22/25 per night). Can you help us decide? Also, do we need a car rental or is everything in walking distance from these hotels? Any info is much appreciated!!

Going to stay a few nights after cruise. We have it narrowed down between two hotels, one being the Hyatt Regency Pier 66 and the Embassy Suites 17th Street. I like that the Embassy Suites has breakfast but no free wifi which we use. The Hyatt doesn't have breakfast but free wifi. They both charge for parking (22/25 per night). Can you help us decide? Also, do we need a car rental or is everything in walking distance from these hotels? Any info is much appreciated!!

I love Embassy, the wifi is only 10.00 a 24 hour period. I am sure breakfast at Hyatt is going to cost more . Embassy has restaurants and shopping and total wine and publix right behind hotel. Lot more choices at Embassy to walk to. Good luck. Dawn

One thing to consider about the Hyatt Pier 66, if you plan on walking to 17th Street area restaurants (they are all on the west side of the bridge, the Hyatt is on the east side) and/or the water taxi at the Hilton, you have to cross the bridge which is a hike (not in distance but in height). If you are driving obviously that wouldn't be a problem but make sure you time your drive to avoid potential bridge openings (on the hour and half hour).

I know you said your choices were between the Embassy Suites and the Hyatt but if you are staying a few nights, why limit yourself to the 17th Street area around the port? Did you consider along the Beach or downtown? In my mind the 17th Street hotels are great for a night pre or post cruise, but if you want to experience Fort Lauderdale, hotels in the beach area and downtown are better.

Edited by capriccio

i prefer Embassy Suites for several reasons.

A nice breakfast.

More conveniently located to restaurants and shopping.

The downside of Hyatt is its more remote location and I think they have not invested property in the overall amenities of the property.

If I wanted a full service Hotel I would go with something other than Hyatt.

Keith

DW and I prefer ES for the reasons list, but the reason we stay there is you get two rooms. I like to take a nap after dinner and stay up late and DW does not nap and goes to bed early, works out great for us.

Thanks everyone for the helpful replies. If I stay at the Embassy Suites, do I even need a car or is everything in walking distance? Thanks!

Depends on what you define "everything " as, but there are several stores and quite a few restaurants very close. There are also many threads on ES explaining the things around ES.

We have stayed there several times, for no less than 2 nights each time, and never rented a car. Taxi, hotel shuttle, water taxi and shoe leather has always been fine.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Thanks everyone for the helpful replies. If I stay at the Embassy Suites, do I even need a car or is everything in walking distance? Thanks! 🤗

There are many places in walking distance from food stores to stores. For me, a car would not be necessary and there is always a taxi or Uber.

Keith

Thanks everyone for the helpful replies. If I stay at the Embassy Suites, do I even need a car or is everything in walking distance? Thanks! 🤗

As others have said, stores and restaurants are within easy walking distance. For transportation you have the option of cabs/Uber or the Sun Trolley (http://www.suntrolley.com) which has its terminus in the Harbor Shops shopping center right behind the Embassy Suites. You can take it to the beach and Las Olas Blvd (http://www.lasolasboulevard.com). Each ride is $1 or you can buy an all day pass (they stop running around 6:30 pm) for $3. Another favorite mode of transportation is the water taxi (http://www.watertaxi.com) - a Hop On Hop Off boat complete with narration provided by the captain that combines transportation and sightseeing. The nearest stop is at the Hilton Marina - a 1 mile walk or you can take the Sun Trolley. For more information on what to do in Fort Lauderdale during your stay, check out http://www.sunny.org (the official tourist website).

I disagree.

The Hyatt Pier 66 is a far superior property than the Embassy.

The Embassy is a cruise/convention hotel.

The Hyatt is a vacation resort that people actually spend their vacation in.

The Hyatt is much closer to the beach.

The Hyatt has a far superior pool.

You can walk over the bridge and have tons of restaurants.

Pelican Landing is great and actually on property.

To me, there is no comparison between the two.

I stayed at the Hyatt last week. My suggestion if you go with the Hyatt is to book a specific room type in the tower...the Lanai wings are old, dated and in need of tlc.the resort itself offered a lot to do but we got stuck in the old wing and it wasn't worth it at all. I would have preferred a cheaper 2.5 star with free breakfast internet, and parking because it was only one nite for sleeping. Front desk didn't want to help at allt because we booked via priceline. Shower had mold, broken toilet cannistertop and peeling paint. Stairs were decrepit. Very different from main building.

Sorry but I just don't care for this Hyatt. I think they really let the hotel go.

But like most things we all have different perspectives.

If it was me I would look at Lago Mar Resort although it is remote or the Marriott Harbor Beach Hotel. Love them both for extended stays.

Keith

Have you considered The Pillars? For our part it us far better than both your options.

Sorry but I just don't care for this Hyatt. I think they really let the hotel go.

But like most things we all have different perspectives.

If it was me I would look at Lago Mar Resort although it is remote or the Marriott Harbor Beach Hotel. Love them both for extended stays.

Keith

Have you considered The Pillars? For our part it us far better than both your options.

I agree that if the prices are close, The Lago Mar, Marriott Harbor Beach, and The Pillars are FAR superior to the Embassy and Hyatt.

We are not hotel snobs by any stretch and I am always looking for a bargain- but I research all locations very well and read reviews. For our two cruises out of Port Everglades I wanted free airport shuttle/free wifi/ free breaky and within walking distance to a restaurant that was not fast food for dinner. Since the airport shuttle was free and the taxi to pier was being paid out of pocket, I knew the further I got to the airport (in a hotel) to the pier, the better. Did I mention I am cheap but picky?

That lead me to the Holiday Inn on 17th Street. If you look at a map it is very close to Embassy Suites. I looked at ES many time, but the rate was always more and the reviews were always iffy. Again, since I am cheap, I usually book on Hotels.com and stalk the prices. I usually book at a higher rate than I would like to pay to secure the room and both times the price dropped to $150 for the night about two weeks before our travel date. Hotels.com refunds me the difference and I am a happy girl.

Our first stay at the Holiday Inn was awesome. Fantastic location. Walk to a Carraba's Italian place practically next door. Walgreen's within walking distance about two blocks in the other direction. There is a wine store right next to Carraba's in the strip mall. I said no thanks to the hotel shuttle to the pier at $8 a person and had them call a cab. For the four of us, the ride was about 5 minutes and was $10 with a tip.

Liked it so much, we did it twice.

• 8 months later...

If anyone needs a good pre/post cruise hotel for Feb 10 or Feb 11, we have a group rate at the Hilton Ft Lauderdale Marina.

I am sailing with a military reunion group and we have extra rooms.

The Hilton is located 2 miles from FLL and less than 1 mile from the cruise ship terminal.

Our group rate is $239.00.

The regular rate for Feb 10 or Feb 11 is around $300.00.

Here is the link to book: https://aws.passkey.com/event/14757489/owner/4912/home

You don't need a code. Click on "attendee".

If you have any questions you can get in touch with me here: desertstorm25th@gmail.com