empress first 6 sailings canelled

baron9

In 13 times on Majesty have never seen a roach. But I also live in South Florida so I doubt the sight of one would freak me out either, unless in my cabin. :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

That's because the geckos take care of them [emoji51] [emoji106] [emoji568]

In 13 times on Majesty have never seen a roach. But I also live in South Florida so I doubt the sight of one would freak me out either, unless in my cabin. :)

As you in all the times (12) we have sailed on Her Majesty, we never saw a roach.

If you go to a land based restaurant, there is a good chance a roach or some other unnamed bug(s) are present, no matter how 'clean' the restaurant kitchen tries to be. It is the nature of the restaurant business.

I would have to believe there is LESS of a chance of bugs on a ship because of how they have to store food in incredibly cold storage containers with meals planned out carefully for storage purposes to have access to the right provisions on the right day.

But creating hysteria has never been a problem for some people.....I just don't get sucked into their hysteria, or attempted hysteria.

As you in all the times (12) we have sailed on Her Majesty, we never saw a roach.

If you go to a land based restaurant, there is a good chance a roach or some other unnamed bug(s) are present, no matter how 'clean' the restaurant kitchen tries to be. It is the nature of the restaurant business.

I would have to believe there is LESS of a chance of bugs on a ship because of how they have to store food in incredibly cold storage containers with meals planned out carefully for storage purposes to have access to the right provisions on the right day.

But creating hysteria has never been a problem for some people.....I just don't get sucked into their hysteria, or attempted hysteria.

What is far more important to pest control, especially roaches, is not the cold storage, but the USPH requirements that there is no cardboard allowed anywhere in the galleys. Boxes are limited to the provisions areas only. Roach eggs are almost ubiquitous in corrugated cardboard boxes, and they can live on the glue. Whether or not Pullmantur is as hyper-sensitive about this issue as a ship that routinely visits the US and has to meet the USPH requirements, I can't say. Nor can I comment on whether there is or has been a "long standing" roach problem. Every ship will find a bug or two at times, it is how you control things when you find them that is important.

I won't comment on whether the ship will be ready for the 25th or not, but given all the "comments" and "hints" provided earlier on, and what I've seen as clues of the work being done in Freeport, a USPH failure is the most likely scenario. What gets my head shaking is that the ship was originally constructed to USPH requirements, so the discrepancies necessary to fail a "construction" inspection must have been vast, and should have been obvious to RCI's personnel and not come "as a surprise" as earlier hinters stated.

I've done a few vessels transfers of ownership, and one transfer of a cruise ship from non-US service to USPH, and while I feel that RCI is usually very pro-active in USPH matters, this was obviously a very badly dropped ball.

No roaches on the Majesty, the Legionaires killed them all.:eek:

Probably getting rid of roaches on cruise ship would be a massive undertaking if control and prevention had been previously neglected. There are very good commercial baits available now. But it would have to combined with flushing them out and treatment. Interesting, if that is actually one of the reasons that contributed to the delay. :)

Probably getting rid of roaches on cruise ship would be a massive undertaking if control and prevention had been previously neglected. There are very good commercial baits available now. But it would have to combined with flushing them out and treatment. Interesting, if that is actually one of the reasons that contributed to the delay. :)

Yes, absolutely. One of the features of the USPH construction requirements is that there can be no gaps in walls or ceilings in food prep areas that you can insert a business card into. If this is allowed to fail, then you start getting pests into the wall cavities and "bombing becomes much more difficult, as you now have to have someone up in the ceiling space to get pesticide down into the wall cavities.

Yes, absolutely. One of the features of the USPH construction requirements is that there can be no gaps in walls or ceilings in food prep areas that you can insert a business card into. If this is allowed to fail, then you start getting pests into the wall cavities and "bombing becomes much more difficult, as you now have to have someone up in the ceiling space to get pesticide down into the wall cavities.

I don't know if you are still on ships. But the preferred methods are now gel baits in inaccessible locations (behind equipment). But you can only bait after you have seriously knocked down the initial population or infestation.

What can I do to

un-confuse you?:rolleyes:

You said:

"But I don't think RC would open up the sailing for cabins to be sold and then cancel the sailing. I highly doubt this is the case."

However, they already did that once. Cruises were available to book, and then all of a sudden cancelled. What would be different? Or am I missing something? Are you speaking of the fact that more cruises were made unavailable, but then available again?

I have heard this from three independent sources. I believe it.

MM, totally respect and believe you, BUT the post from Tagsalong has important implications for those of us on the April 25th sailing, including hundreds or even thousands of dollars of money we would lose if the sailing were cancelled.

It seems to me with something this important that sources should be cited so that an honest evaluation of the claim can be made.

Unfortunately, if everyone who reports something on here were to reveal their sources, then the sources of information would most likely dry up. How many people in a corporation would want their job jeopardized by telling something in advance of the corporate speak announcement.

However, when more than one person cites several officers who have confided information then one can believe or not. No one here ever said you must believe!

In my line of work they are known as confidential informants.

A valuable source of information, but never revealed.

Here's the problem... reporting what appears to be "factual" and quoting unidentified sources, creates fear and worry on the part of those who would be affected. We now have countless people worrying that their cruise could be cancelled, their airline and hotel tickets becoming total losses and for what?

An unconfirmed rumor!

We are talking about a cruise that is a mere week away. What benefit is there to the person who is already booked by hearing this unsubstantiated claim? What are they to do?

The answer is nothing, except that their worry and anxiety level has been elevated by a person refusing to take responsibility for their claim.

Sorry, but I see no benefit in this sort of speculation, whether true or not.

I just checked both the RCI website and a random cruise booking site, and the 1st available cruise to book is now May 14th.....April 25th and 30th were "Sold Out" and May 5th (which I "think" I'm going on) isn't even showing! I understand if it's cancelled, but just let us know! :mad:

There are no guarantees in life except death. If someone told you the Royal source of the information, that would not verify it anymore so than what you have already heard. The absolute truth of whatever you hear in advance will only become so after the fact. Worrying before the fact does not make sense; planning for all contingencies does.

Edited by gadaboutgal

MM, totally respect and believe you, BUT the post from Tagsalong has important implications for those of us on the April 25th sailing, including hundreds or even thousands of dollars of money we would lose if the sailing were cancelled.

It seems to me with something this important that sources should be cited so that an honest evaluation of the claim can be made.

Better to have rumors than nothing at all. Many of us already lost those hundreds and thousands by them cancelling and screwing a lot of us over last month.

Here's the problem... reporting what appears to be "factual" and quoting unidentified sources, creates fear and worry on the part of those who would be affected. We now have countless people worrying that their cruise could be cancelled, their airline and hotel tickets becoming total losses and for what?

An unconfirmed rumor!

We are talking about a cruise that is a mere week away. What benefit is there to the person who is already booked by hearing this unsubstantiated claim? What are they to do?

The answer is nothing, except that their worry and anxiety level has been elevated by a person refusing to take responsibility for their claim.

Sorry, but I see no benefit in this sort of speculation, whether true or not.

Here's what I would do.

1. Don't read this thread.

2. Wait for an official notification from Royal Caribbean.

3. Don't cancel anything until RCI confirms any cancellation.

4. Relax.

5. Don't stress.

6. Disregard all of the above.

Here's what I would do.

1. Don't read this thread.

2. Wait for an official notification from Royal Caribbean.

3. Don't cancel anything until RCI confirms any cancellation.

4. Relax.

5. Don't stress.

6. Disregard all of the above.

Nice!:):)