dress code

Here is the cruise line's suggested dress:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&snav=2&faqId=255&faqSubjectId=334&faqSubjectName=Life+Onboard&faqType=faq

The only mention I see of shoes is that flip-flops are acceptable for lunch.

Edited by clarea

Hello,

Can anyone tell me what kind of shoes are allowed for men in the main dining room. Are they allowed to wear tennis shoes of any kind?? Thank you very much.

Jesse

Do you intend to play tennis in the dining room?

I have "tennis" or athletic shoes, that are good looking, enough and Yes I have even wore them on god forbid, "Formal night" even had a friend wear red one with a TUX. Pleas no brilliant white ones LOL

Formal Nights are much more relaxed than they once were. ;)

Agreed, which is personally a little disappointing to me. While I've never been a tuxedo guy (I got married in a suit), I've always worn at least a shirt and tie on formal nights and wear the jacket if I don't forget to pack it. That said, I've recently seen someone wear Chuck Taylor's, denim shorts and a ratty t-shirt w/ball cap to formal night and they weren't turned away. It seems anymore that's not nearly as enforced as it was previously.

Agreed, which is personally a little disappointing to me. While I've never been a tuxedo guy (I got married in a suit), I've always worn at least a shirt and tie on formal nights and wear the jacket if I don't forget to pack it. That said, I've recently seen someone wear Chuck Taylor's, denim shorts and a ratty t-shirt w/ball cap to formal night and they weren't turned away. It seems anymore that's not nearly as enforced as it was previously.

I was soundly flamed in another thread (my first post on CC) when I voiced my displeasure over this subject. If they're not willing to enforce Formal Night, then just do away with it!

I was soundly flamed in another thread (my first post on CC) when I voiced my displeasure over this subject. If they're not willing to enforce Formal Night, then just do away with it!

I would suggest, as a mother and a teacher, that the result of doing away with formal night will mean even rattier dress in the main dining room.

Take off the lid, and watch out below!

Formal night is a suggestion not a rule, so there is nothing to "enforce ". No shorts, flip flops, ball caps, etc., is, however, a rule and definitely should be enforced.

I would suggest, as a mother and a teacher, that the result of doing away with formal night will mean even rattier dress in the main dining room.

Take off the lid, and watch out below!

I understand your logic, although I shudder to think what could be rattier than what iahawkfan21 described!:eek:

Call them codes, rules, guidelines, suggestions etc. it doesn't matter if you're not going to enforce them. People will violate any law, rule, code etc. if they know they won't be held accountable. RCI does not have the cajones to turn anyone away from the MDR, regardless of what night of the cruise it is.

I say either enforce formal nights or do away with them. If a few people started getting turned away and sent to the Windjammer for dinner, maybe people would get the message!

Edited by IndyKid

I understand your logic, although I shudder to think what could be rattier than what iahawkfan21 described!:eek:

Call them codes, rules, guidelines, suggestions etc. it doesn't matter if you're not going to enforce them. People will violate any law, rule, code etc. if they know they won't be held accountable. RCI does not have the cajones to turn anyone away from the MDR, regardless of what night of the cruise it is.

I say either enforce formal nights or do away with them. If a few people started getting turned away and sent to the Windjammer for dinner, maybe people would get the message!

We are YEARS too late for that. That's what happened "in the olden days". Just doesn't happen any more.

We are YEARS too late for that. That's what happened "in the olden days". Just doesn't happen any more.

You're right. And we may be a more "advanced" society, but it seems that decorum & civility have gone out the window, so to speak.

People might make fun of someone like myself who might yearn for the "good old days", when things were more civilized.

This may sound snobbish, but I'm old enough to remember when getting on an airplane meant dressing up, dealing with friendly, smiling ticket agents and stewardesses, and no TSA jerks. Nowadays, it's like getting on Greyhound...:(

Interesting topic. For me, BTW black shoes are the only thing to accompany my tux (and black pants for non formal nights). If I'm not wearing black pants, then possibly a pair of suede loafers.

Now, we're off on a P&O cruise for the first time (and possibly last thanks to the venomous people on the P&O CC threads and social media when I asked questions and made comment), only a 3 day 'taster' but us veterans of RCI need to be thankful, whether there is a more relaxed dress code or not these days.

I was surprised to learn that even on a 2 night sailing, there will be 1 mandatory Formal night on P&O, and even more surprising, if not wearing formal attire for the whole evening, after 6pm I would only be able to eat in the buffet and drink in a pub. The MDR, wine bar, and all other cocktail bars will be out of bounds to me after 6pm!

Edited by peteukmcr

OT Post to peteukmcr:

you might not realize this, so just a friendly request.

Your signature with the 5 Countdowns next to each other makes the side so wide, that one Needs to scroll left and right all the time, even though I have quite a big (wide) Screen already.

Hope you don´t take offence, but I´d appreciate if you could edit your signature and put some of those Countdowns vertically on top of each other instead of horizontally next to each other.

back to the Topic on discussion.:)

OT Post to peteukmcr:

you might not realize this, so just a friendly request.

Your signature with the 5 Countdowns next to each other makes the side so wide, that one Needs to scroll left and right all the time, even though I have quite a big (wide) Screen already.

Hope you don´t take offence, but I´d appreciate if you could edit your signature and put some of those Countdowns vertically on top of each other instead of horizontally next to each other.

back to the Topic on discussion.:)

Is that OK now?

You're right. And we may be a more "advanced" society, but it seems that decorum & civility have gone out the window, so to speak.

People might make fun of someone like myself who might yearn for the "good old days", when things were more civilized.

"Decorum and civility" disappeared when RCI decided to build floating theme parks instead of cruise ships.

Personally, I welcome the change. WDW has been allowing shorts in their "signature" restaurants (read: expensive) for years. It was only a matter of time until the cruise industry caught up.

This is always an amusing topic. What a person wears, is often times nothing more than the person "respecting" the event, and others around them. If the "event" is considered formal and the "suggested" dress code is jacket and tie, than the respectful thing to do, is wear a jacket and tie. Of course one can play with the words, and say it is suggested, but a suggestion, and be respectful are sometimes the same.

So to say, you can wear what you want, because is it only a suggestion, is the same as saying you can be disrespectful to the others around you.

Why do people take off their hats inside, hold doors open for others and say please and thank you? It's also about respect and courtesy. But yet you will see some that never take off a baseball hat, slam doors on others, and barge around others.

So the topic will never end. It will always be between those that respect the evening and those that will not.

This is always an amusing topic. What a person wears, is often times nothing more than the person "respecting" the event, and others around them. If the "event" is considered formal and the "suggested" dress code is jacket and tie, than the respectful thing to do, is wear a jacket and tie. Of course one can play with the words, and say it is suggested, but a suggestion, and be respectful are sometimes the same.

So to say, you can wear what you want, because is it only a suggestion, is the same as saying you can be disrespectful to the others around you.

Why do people take off their hats inside, hold doors open for others and say please and thank you? It's also about respect and courtesy. But yet you will see some that never take off a baseball hat, slam doors on others, and barge around others.

So the topic will never end. It will always be between those that respect the evening and those that will not.

This is a very well thought-out and composed post, and for the most part I agree with you. However, one deciding not to wear a tie is a far cry from slamming the door on someone. One action is an expression of personal taste; the other is offensive and has the potential for physical harm. A man with an open collar is not going to cause the ship to sink.