Transatlantic - what to pack....?

cassandra44

We are doing an Oceania cruise from April 11-25...Miami to Barcelona.

The site cruiseoutlook provides info about expected weather in ports but we are wondering what to expect on the 6 sea days between Bermuda and Funchal.

I know that weather can vary wildly but we are wondering if anyone has done a similar cruise and can share whether they packed for cool or warm weather.

Hard to say.

Could be 60's. Could be 50's. Could be sunny, cloudy, rainy, windy.

I've seen it all and I am not making this up.

Bring clothing to layer.

And I was in Bermuda early May last year on a similar crossing.

First day was cool. Second day a lot of rain.

Keith

I understand how you can pack for warm weather and not cool weather - just refuse to take any sweaters or coats - but if you pack for cool weather, surely you're covered for warm weather as well? Just wear less clothes.

If you know for certain what the weather is going to do, pack accordingly. (And give me the winning lottery numbers. ;) ) Otherwise, cover all bases.

This is discussed on the fashion board you find under cruise interests, I think. I've done a few TAs and while I do bring a swim suit, I don't worry about shorts. I have capri exercise capris and those will do if I want some sun on my legs. I lucked out last time with a generally mild sailing two years ago, but jeans or long pants also worked for almost every day on the ocean and in Europe. Barcelona should be in the low 70's in early May. Check the weather forecast for Miami right before you pack to see if the weather will be very warm.

We discovered that a balcony isn't used by us very much when you are clipping along at a good rate on the ocean. Cool, misty air at best. Some balconies have a better situation with ocean breezes.

Don't bother with a heavy coat. I bring a black raincoat and put layers underneath for chilly weather.

I'm doing a TA from FLL to Southampton and the British Isles about the same time.

I've done 3 TAs going the opposite direction, from Venice, Southampton, and Barcelona, in October and December, and they were pleasantly warm. Of course, the Atlantic Ocean was still warm, which meant the air was warmer.

I am figuring this time, with the cold water in the Atlantic, the chances of warm weather are slim, and will be packing clothes to layer with, as well as rain gear. Even if we get lucky and have relatively warm weather, I won't have a problem with not having warmer weather clothes. I'll have a little bit of everything.

I am packing at this moment for X TA.All the ports will be in mid 60s in April. I am bringing capris, no shorts.Spring can be very rainy. Bring rain gear, umbrella. I packed black and white fleece pullovers,mid weight.You will love O.

I am packing at this moment for X TA.All the ports will be in mid 60s in April. I am bringing capris, no shorts.Spring can be very rainy. Bring rain gear, umbrella. I packed black and white fleece pullovers,mid weight.You will love O.

One thing I do not pack is an umbrella. In crowded settings, such as on tours in "touristy areas", it can be difficult to use one without unintentionally impacting fellow tourists sight lines, or risking of getting jostled and inadvertently poking someone with the end of the umbrella ribs. I have had a couple of instances of nearly getting poked in an eye by some other tourist's umbrella.

Instead of an umbrella, I take a hooded waterproof windbreaker.