Do I lock my luggage?

traveling out of bayonne on anthem , does your luggage need to be un locked as on airlines or should it be locked?

I would lock it. The cruise line is not supposed to open luggage unless you are present.

You can buy TSA approved locks if you wish, but we never do anything beyond a bag tie to make sure the zippers stay closed. Locks don't really do anything except slow thieves down and the ties will do the same. Anything important or valueable you should put in your carry-on anyway.

Security will not normally open your luggage unless the think they see something that is a security risk. For any other suspected banned items, you will get a call to come down to the "naughty room" where you will open your suitcase for them to inspect it further.

traveling out of bayonne on anthem , does your luggage need to be un locked as on airlines or should it be locked?

I always lock our luggage on airlines and cruises. If the cruise line wants to see in your luggage for something they find suspicious they will call you to an advised location for you to open it. They will not break in like airport security.

We use TSA approved locks for air travel and they work fine. Several times we have found a note inside from TSA saying they open our luggage to do a manual check. They lock it back with no problem.

But to answer your question its entirely up to you to lock or not. no rule applies.

We always lock our luggage.

Can someone break open the locks?

Yes, however give a choice of opening luggage without a lock versus one with a lock the odds are they will open the one without a lock.

Keith

I've seen that argument made both ways. Some say a lock makes someone less likely to target your bag. Others say a lock makes your bag more of a target, because there is an assumption that there is more likely to be something valuable inside a locked bag.

I don't care either way, though. Lock your bag or don't lock it - it's a personal preference that depends on what makes you feel good.

Doesn't really matter. Luggage being locked is about as secure as locking a screen door.

That about sums it up:D Stay tuned for more posts about why people do or don't lock their bags. Bottom line it's up to you.

Edited by bouhunter

We use neon-colored zip ties. They can be easily cut off by anyone but we would know because they probably wouldn't be able to replace with a neon color. I keep a toe nail clippers in the outside pocket of the suitcase to cut them when we unpack in the cabin.

Luggage should be LOCKED if it's not in your possession!!!! Always! No sense in making it easy for someone! Even a bank can be "broken into"...but it's a lot of trouble! Lock your bags!

It may be "a lot of trouble" to break into a bank, but it's very little trouble at all to break into most suitcases. It's just a feel-good thing for some people to have locks on. :cool:

The luggage is in a pile, whether on a luggage trolley or even worse, in a pile the size of Mt Everest on the ship. The chances of anyone picking one out to pilfer from are nil, I think.

TSA locks can't be opened by cruise workers, longshoremen, etc., so they offer no benefit. 20 years ago I was pulled out of check in to go to a different area and open my bag myself. They were concerned about a large bottle of water.......it showed up weird on the xray.

The only time my luggage is not in a large mass is sitting outside our cabin door. If I were a thief, with my luck I'd get it open and there'd be 30 people walking by.

Luggage should be LOCKED if it's not in your possession!!!! Always! No sense in making it easy for someone! Even a bank can be "broken into"...but it's a lot of trouble! Lock your bags!

You know, I was going to laughably disagree with this. But the CAPITAL LETTERS and !!!! Excalmation points, well, they really convinced me you were right!:p:rolleyes:

We lock ours with TSA locks, but not for security reasons. We lock it to keep the zippers from coming open if they get caught on something. I carry on all our valuables, but don't want my underwear strewn around because a zipper came open.