cruise to europe brussles attack do we now have to cancel? keep ourselves locked up!!

belli2006

Only you can decide what works for you but IMO, if you run scared like that, the terrorists win. If you're going to be an emotional wreck while you're there, worried that something may happen at any moment, then don't go.

If you're going to go with an open mind, be aware of your surroundings, not do stupid things, and get the most out of the sites you go to, then go! Have a terrific, life-changing experience! It's all in how you look at it.

we have a 1 mnt trip booked Europe cruise, that goes to Italy, spain , france (Marseille) , Greece, Montenegro, Slovenia, Croatia, we leave sept 1 2016

and more attacks today what do we do cancel?

The world is a huge and wonderful place. All of the countries you are planning to visit will engulf you with memories and experiences that will enrich your lives. I have been to all of the above mentioned countries/city and would return in a heartbeat. No one can tell you what to do, but you have a much greater chance being in an auto accident...this is your decision to make and your consequence. It is definitely what the terrorists want you to do...cancel. Fear breeds fear. My advice is to discuss this situation and go with your gut feeling, but don't make your decision based on only fear that solely stems from the attacks in Brussels.

**In Slovenia, Lake Bled is beautiful. Montenegro has a gorgeous drive that takes you high up above the coastline and the view is fantastic. Croatia's water is so clear and beautifully pristine....I could go on and on...Love all of Italy, Greece, Spain and France.

Edited by Lastdance

we have a 1 mnt trip booked Europe cruise, that goes to Italy, spain , france (Marseille) , Greece, Montenegro, Slovenia, Croatia, we leave sept 1 2016

None pf these places are near Brussels. All you can do is make a decision on the best information you have at the time and go with it.

I will not cancel. But that is my decision.

Edited by SPacificbound

The only reason I would cancel a cruise would be if a particular area of the world was becoming consistently more dangerous, with repeated attacks. And if that happened, you would not have to cancel; the cruise line would do the canceling (of the port, if not the cruise).

Sad to say, these things can happen anywhere. Who would have thought the tragedy in Oklahoma City years ago would have happened?! Do you plan to also avoid New York City and Boston? I live in the burbs of Chicago. I have to imagine there have been any number of attempts to plan something awful there (thank the lord thwarted so far). But I will continue to go downtown to visit the beautiful lakefront, museums, and sports teams, etc..

Only you can decide what is right for you, but as others mentioned you need to evaluate the odds. You are much more likely to be killed in a car accident driving to the airport to catch your flight to the cruise.

I leave in two weeks for a land tour in France and Spain, three cruises, plus time in major cities (Paris, Barcelona, Rome, Venice, Athens) so I will be away over six weeks.

Do I wish things were more stable in Europe? Of course. But have I considered cancelling? No way!

Be sensible but don't be frightened. If you are frightened, then cancel for your piece of mind. You still have several months, if you continue to feel this way then cancel.

Cheers

Rosie

The fact of the matter is that parts of Europe have been under a terrorist threat....well for the past 50 years.

I encourage you and everyone to enroll into the State Departments STEP program. The Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) is a free service to allow U.S. citizens and nationals traveling abroad to enroll their trip with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

https://step.state.gov/step/

Many travel insurance policies have cancellation/interruption protection for terrorist incidents. If there's a terrorist incident in a city on your itinerary within 30 days of your scheduled arrival, you can cancel and get 100% of your nonrefundable trip costs back. If you interrupt (cut the trip short), it can be as much as 150% of your trip cost plus a supplement for return airfare on top of that.

This is general information. Please read and understand the terms of a policy prior to purchasing.

And while we are on the subject of Europe and traveler safety:

The State Department alerts U.S. citizens to potential risks of travel to and throughout Europe following several terrorist attacks, including the March 22 attacks in Brussels claimed by ISIL. Terrorist groups continue to plan near-term attacks throughout Europe, targeting sporting events, tourist sites, restaurants, and transportation.

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/alertswarnings/europe-travel-alert.html

Did you lock yourself up after the incident last summer in Charleston? Or Columbine? Boston? New York? Aurora? etc. etc.

Anything can happen anywhere. Doesn't mean you don't exercise caution, but I don't believe in putting my life on hold because of things like this.

We have a cruise covering Spain/France/Italy with several days pre-cruise in Barcelona coming up this summer and we are not canceling. Later in the summer we have a trip to Africa and we aren't canceling that either.

We have a cruise that ends April 25 in Rome. We then fly to Istanbul for a few days. When the bombings happened there, I checked on my travel insurance, and called them, to see how it should be done if we "interrupt" our trip to come home from Rome. They, of course, gave little information other than to read me the policy, which I had already read.

The strange thing is that if we canceled the Istanbul portion NOW, and made arrangements to come back from Rome, it would be much less costly than if we had to do it once we got there.

I told my wife, expecting her to say let's cancel the trip. I was amazed when she said that we have always wanted to see Istanbul and this was our chance. It is not going to get less "dangerous" over there.

I am signed up for the STEP program and have been sent good information concerning events and potential areas to avoid on certain days. All we can do is plan as carefully as possible, and then pray it all goes well. I am not one of those "don't let the terrorists win" people. But I do evaluate the risk involved in any decision. The risk of being involved in a terrorist attack is extremely low, but so is the danger in teaching in an elementary school, going to see a movie, attending a holiday party, etc.

Most people die within 15 miles of their home, so I guess that is a dangerous place to be.

We have a cruise that ends April 25 in Rome. We then fly to Istanbul for a few days. When the bombings happened there, I checked on my travel insurance, and called them, to see how it should be done if we "interrupt" our trip to come home from Rome. They, of course, gave little information other than to read me the policy, which I had already read.

The strange thing is that if we canceled the Istanbul portion NOW, and made arrangements to come back from Rome, it would be much less costly than if we had to do it once we got there.

I recently retired from Travel Guard. For legal reasons, they cannot pre-approve a claim (or pre-deny one, for that matter) but can review the language. For TG policies that cover terrorism, you can interrupt the trip at any point if there were to be a terrorist incident that meets the definition in the policy. Depending on the plan, it would cover losses up to 150% of the original trip cost for both the portion of the trip you lost out on as well as change fees and last-minute airfare to return home.

If you change your itinerary prior to leaving, that would be trip cancellation, not interruption. You're not cancelling the entire trip, of course, but cancelling the original arrangements and substituting new ones, making it a new trip. Trip cancellation is limited to 100% of the original trip cost (or whatever you're actually out), so would not be applicable to the costs of the new trip (change in airfare from Rome instead of Istanbul)-- those are costs associated with the new trip, for which you'd want to get a new policy for.

The key point is that it the terrorist incident has to occur within 30 days of your scheduled arrival in Istanbul, so it wouldn't help you to change your arrangements now, but only if there's another incident on March 26th or later.

Again, I'm speaking in general about TG policies. I am no longer licensed to sell travel insurance, but am speaking from past knowledge.

No, you go on your trip and enjoy it. You let them win if you cancel, go and have fun

If the bombings are that frightful, please never drive on a road with a greater than 15 MPH speed limit, drink municipally provided water or any food not grown by a farmer personally known and trusted by you. Not to mention the air flight perhaps needed for this cruise and the food sold in the food courts.

Take a breath and enjoy life.

I think the reason for the reaction to terrorism versus the risks associated with everyday life is the idea that someone is deliberately trying to kill you. Maybe not you specifically, but (with rare exception) the incidents mentioned such as driving, flying, food poisoning, are unfortunate consequences, not the result of someone intentionally trying to do you harm. There's a different psychological angle to it.

That said, the risk of being involved in a terrorist incident is extremely low and would not deter me from traveling.

I head to Toronto for vacation in a month, fly to Barcelona for my 12-night Med/Venice cruise in 97 days, and fly to Disney World in 147 days and it has not even crossed my mind to cancel any of them.

I am of the mindset that when it is your time it is your time (and all those "I was supposed to be on that plane..." people who appear after a disaster, it simply wasn't their time or something else would have gotten them) and it's far better to live every day to the fullest than to let bullies rule what you do.

Does that mean I just go glibly about my days and traveling? No. I live in NYC where right now we are having the largest number of random slashings and stabbings on the streets and subways that they've had in years. I pay more attention to my surroundings than I will admit I used to, and I'm ready to defend myself if necessary. But I don't let that stop me from living my life. Likewise when I'm on my trips, I'll definitely be more aware of my surroundings - but I also know how NOT to look too much like a tourist when traveling, so that helps as well (at least as far as people who target tourists for crimes).

Did you lock yourself up after the incident last summer in Charleston? Or Columbine? Boston? New York? Aurora? etc. etc.

Anything can happen anywhere. Doesn't mean you don't exercise caution, but I don't believe in putting my life on hold because of things like this.

Exactly . I think many have problems with realistic risk assessment .

We have a cruise covering Spain/France/Italy with several days pre-cruise in Barcelona coming up this summer and we are not canceling. Later in the summer we have a trip to Africa and we aren't canceling that either.

Having said that , depending on the specifics , certain parts of Africa exceed my risk tolerance .

Edited to add that if it freaks someone out to go somewhere where they would be scared , then I guess they shouldn't go . Recreational travel is after all supposed to be enjoyable . No fun if you are terrified , whether the threat is realistic or not .

Edited by richstowe

From my Travel Guard Policy per my TA:

TRIP CANCELLATION AND/OR INTERRUPTION

The Company will reimburse the Insured a benefit, up to the

Maximum Limit shown in the Schedule or Declarations Page

if an Insured cancels his/her Trip or is unable to continue on

his/her Trip due to any of the following Unforeseen events:

(i) a Terrorist Incident in a City listed on the Insured’s

itinerary within 30 days of the Insured’s scheduled arrival;