First vs Economy

Justprettynpink

It's possible that different aircraft were involved. For example, if one flew from A to B in a CRJ in regular economy, and the next time flew the route in E+ in a A319, the seats would indeed not just have more pitch but also would be wider.

Excuse me, but I'm not an idiot - I know the difference between legroom and where my butt goes!

I'm done here!

Funny though, how the United website says NOTHING about increased seat width when you book economy plus.

Hopefully this information can help someone else set realistic expectations, rather than reading your post and thinking "hey, wow, United economy + seats are wider so let's book that."

It's possible that different aircraft were involved. For example, if one flew from A to B in a CRJ in regular economy, and the next time flew the route in E+ in a A319, the seats would indeed not just have more pitch but also would be wider.

Possibly, but still a minimal difference. And not a matter economy vs. economy plus, but rather a matter of different aircraft. The question at hand is a about whether United's economy plus seats are, generally speaking, wider than their regular economy seats. They're not. Hopefully Cyber Kat will take that into consideration next time she wants to book econ +.

Edited by waterbug123

Funny though, how the United website says NOTHING about increased seat width when you book economy plus.

Hopefully this information can help someone else set realistic expectations, rather than reading your post and thinking "hey, wow, United economy + seats are wider so let's book that."

Possibly, but still a minimal difference. And not a matter economy vs. economy plus, but rather a matter of different aircraft. The question at hand is a about whether United's economy plus seats are, generally speaking, wider than their regular economy seats. They're not. Hopefully Cyber Kat will take that into consideration next time she wants to book econ +.

If one checks exact seats/dates on http://www.SeatGuru.com ,

in the upper right corner, it will give the width, pitch (spacing between rows), and description (recliner, angled flat bed, flat bed, etc.) for the different classes/cabins.

Lower down on the right side is a scrolling window that has comments from folks who have been in various seats.

There is always a chance of change of equipment, of course, and the further in the future, the higher this chance is.

Have you every flown Business Class on a long flight overseas? I have always used my miles and I think it is worth every mile. I almost never use my miles for domestic flights because the long haul business awards are a better use of the miles.

No way I am suggesting your opinion is not valid. I was just wondering if you have ever taken a long haul flight in Business so you could actual compare the experiences.

For us it makes the flight more enjoyable and we do not dread the flight as much. We flew 15.5 hours in coach to Melbourne Australia once and we will never do it again. Even if I had to pay for the Business Class seat it would be less expensive than a divorce.

Yeah, once you fly in Business on a long-haul flight, very hard to turn back. :)

For me, it has always been Economy, until recently I got to travel in Business but only for work. With the family, it is still in Economy and we are talking about Singapore to Europe flights (typically 13 hours direct non-stop or if we take a stop, then it would be 15 to 16 hours total).

Since you were already expecting $1,600 pp, I say go for it, and enjoy it! [emoji106] Awesome that EZ Air ended up bumping you up! That kinda happened to us on a much smaller scale. EZ Air was super affordable AND gave us Comfort + seats for the economy price!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Yes, return flights are normally during the day.

Our flight to CDG-Paris arrives at 8:30 am... 2:30am our time :eek:

Like your DH, I also have significant jet-lag/sleep issues.

Me wife says, just don't think about it.:rolleyes:

\

higher cabin pressure and humidity than any other aircraft

Thats because there is NO difference in any coach seat, width or recline It pays to know your aircraft seat specs... Business

If one checks exact seats/dates on www.SeatGuru.com ,

Thanks, I'm familiar with Seat Guru, as well as with the fact that seat width can vary slightly (within an airline) from one aircraft style to another. My point was that any difference the poster had found in the width of her prior economy plus flights was not because the seat was economy plus per se, but rather because she had been on a different aircraft when traveling in regular economy. Ex. she traveled in regular economy on a CRJ that had, say, 17" seats and then on 757 with 17.5" seats. Had she been in regular economy on the 757 she'd have found the exact same 17.5" seats. If an actual benefit of economy plus was additional seat width (above and beyond what the same aircraft would offer in regular economy) you can be assured that United would tout that as a benefit. But they don't, because it isn't.

Thanks, I'm familiar with Seat Guru, as well as with the fact that seat width can vary slightly (within an airline) from one aircraft style to another. My point was that any difference the poster had found in the width of her prior economy plus flights was not because the seat was economy plus per se, but rather because she had been on a different aircraft when traveling in regular economy. Ex. she traveled in regular economy on a CRJ that had, say, 17" seats and then on 757 with 17.5" seats. Had she been in regular economy on the 757 she'd have found the exact same 17.5" seats. If an actual benefit of economy plus was additional seat width (above and beyond what the same aircraft would offer in regular economy) you can be assured that United would tout that as a benefit. But they don't, because it isn't.

Sorry for any misunderstanding.

I was trying to *add* to your post, about there being differences in aircraft :)

Many people don't yet know about SeatGuru.com , and it's incredibly helpful, not just with seat width/pitch/recline, but also whether there are pairs at the window vs. triples, etc.

We were late to the party discovering SeatGuru, but now check it before confirming any flights.

The main potential problem is if an airline changes equipment, especially at the last minute.

There are constantly new tools/resources/websites we learn about from CruiseCritics (and a few other sources), and they all add value to the planning.

Of course, they also add *time* to the planning... :(

Possibly, but still a minimal difference..

I don't agree with that. The difference in seat width on a CRJ and a bigger plane is very noticeable to me. It doesn't seem like .7 of an inch should matter, but it does to me. In fact it's the difference between misery and tolerable for me. (I actually wonder if CRJ is rounding up or if there is something else about the seats or the curve of the hull that makes the seats feel so much more narrow.) I won't fly UA CRJ's anymore if I can help it or the flight is no more than an hour. It probably won't matter for someone 5'5" or under. But all non e+ y seats on UA are definitely not created equal.

Many people don't yet know about SeatGuru.com , and it's incredibly helpful ...
Caution: For many airlines, seatguru is worse than useless. Take British Airways, for example: seatguru's seat maps are often out of date, many configurations' seat maps are completely missing, and the advice given is often just wrong. So for at least some airlines, there are much better sources of this information.

Finding any better sources for an individual airline is, of course, another part of doing your homework.