First vs Economy

Justprettynpink

I personally think that paying for businessclass to be able to sleep is a waste of money when on vacation. It's better to fly in economy and check in on a superluxorious hotel when arriving and get some sleep there. I think that's better use of money and most of the time it's also cheaper to do that.

As said, just my personal opinion. I understand that lots of people won't agree!!!

1. A hotel doesn't have to be "super luxurious" in order to get some sleep, so it's not necessarily a "biz class OR high end hotel" type of choice.

2. Often one might arrive (US to Europe, for ex.) early in the morning and be unable to get into one's room until mid afternoon, thus spending the day exhausted.

3. Occasionally one hits upon a deal whereby biz class is only a few hundred more than economy.

It's always a personal choice, so YMMV.

I personally think that paying for businessclass to be able to sleep is a waste of money when on vacation. It's better to fly in economy and check in on a superluxorious hotel when arriving and get some sleep there. I think that's better use of money and most of the time it's also cheaper to do that.

As said, just my personal opinion. I understand that lots of people won't agree!!!

Depends whether you're talking transatlantic or transpac. With a bunch of trips to Europe under my belt, the only way it works for me is not to sleep during the day on day 1. Anything other than staying up until regular bed time, and I find I cannot get right for several days, wake up at odd hours, etc. The last thing I let us do is go into the hotel, because the beds are irresistible. If we arrive very early, and have points or it's cheap enough to book the night before (or we get in to the room early) sometimes we'll do an hour nap, never later than noon. Everyone is different, but the enjoyment the first few days of trips to Europe for me at least is directly proportional to getting enough sleep on the plane to be able to push through to regular bed time on day 1.

Edited by Regguy

The problem with most people on the east coast to Europe flights is that they do what you say - take the drawn-out meal service. Then yes, it is tough to get a good sleep. Either eat before boarding or ask for the "express" meal service offered by many airlines in business class now. I did the "express" service last month from MSP to AMS. Was in the reclined position by the time most people were still eating their main course. Had a good night's rest, skipped breakfast, had breakfast and a shower in the lounge upon arrival.

This thread is very interesting to me, because we will be flying business/first for the first time for our cruise in August. Newark to Amsterdam on Delta. It's a 1-2-1 configuration and I chose 2 middle seats in the middle of the section. I'm curious about the "express" meal service. How do you get it and how does it work.

I've been also considering melatonin for the jet lag, and someone told me decaf green tea. Anyone have any experience with these?

We land in Amsterdam at 7:45am and I've already contacted the hotel. They will let us leave the luggage and we hope to do some exploring to help keep us awake until it's bed time - Amsterdam time.

I'm also curious about the whole process. I understand that Delta has separate Sky Priority lines and that going through is a lot easier and faster than if we were in coach.

This thread is very interesting to me, because we will be flying business/first for the first time for our cruise in August. Newark to Amsterdam on Delta. It's a 1-2-1 configuration and I chose 2 middle seats in the middle of the section. I'm curious about the "express" meal service. How do you get it and how does it work.

I've been also considering melatonin for the jet lag, and someone told me decaf green tea. Anyone have any experience with these?

We land in Amsterdam at 7:45am and I've already contacted the hotel. They will let us leave the luggage and we hope to do some exploring to help keep us awake until it's bed time - Amsterdam time.

I'm also curious about the whole process. I understand that Delta has separate Sky Priority lines and that going through is a lot easier and faster than if we were in coach.

I've always used melatonin when travelling east to west - I find it helps me to go back to sleep when my body wants to get up at 3 am!

Travelling from the US to Europe on an overnight flight, I normally try and have a short nap, no more than an hour, during the day of arrival, and then keep active until at least 10 pm, before going to bed. No need for melatonin.

I've always used melatonin when travelling east to west - I find it helps me to go back to sleep when my body wants to get up at 3 am!

Travelling from the US to Europe on an overnight flight, I normally try and have a short nap, no more than an hour, during the day of arrival, and then keep active until at least 10 pm, before going to bed. No need for melatonin.

Thanks! More concerned about the west to east flight over. I don't care if have jet lag when I get home :D

This is a toughie. Those flights are rough -- you're leaving at 6:00 p.m. and you'll only be in the air for about 7 hours or even less, landing between 1:00 a.m. and 2:00 a.m. east coast USA time. There's really no great answer. It's not unusual for that flight to arrive even earlier than 7:45 a.m., by as much as 45 minutes or an hour.

You should probably start a few days before getting used to getting up earlier than usual and going to bed earlier if you can. The problem is that nothing you do is likely to have you prepared to fall asleep at 6:30 p.m. Even if you get to sleep around 8:30 p.m., the flight attendants will probably wake you up about 30 minutes before landing, so the best you can do is 4.5 hours sleep. I'm not sure I would take melatonin in that circumstance, because even if it helps put you to sleep, you'll still be tired when you wake up.

That flight is so short, and leaves so early in the evening, that for a flight like that, I might change up my usual plan. I probably would book a day room in Amsterdam or pay for an extra night at the hotel so that I know I will have my room when I get there in the morning. I'd get up early the morning of the flight, have a small dinner on the flight and maybe watch a movie, and plan to get about 3 hours sleep. I'd then go straight to my hotel, hoping to get there by 9:00 a.m. or so, and then take a two hour nap. I'd get up around 11:00 a.m. and do my best to push through to the evening, at which point I'd take a melatonin and go to bed around 9:00 p.m. and hope I slept through the night to be on something close to regular time. Sorry that I cannot say whether this is really good general advice -- this is what works for me but it might be exactly the wrong advice for others.

Sky priority will give you a few advantages. At Newark Airport, there will be a special check in and baggage check lane for business class customers. Use it if it's shorter than the general line. You'll also be eligible to go through a security line at TSA for premium customers. If you have precheck, though, that's better. You'll be eligible to use the lounge in the Delta terminal in EWR (terminal B). Delta doesn't have many gates in Newark, so the lounge may be uncrowded, I'm really not too sure how much it gets in the way of crowds. It's reported to be a nice lounge.

Upon landing, you'll have access to a fast-track immigration line. I don't know how Delta does it -- it may be your boarding pass that has some notation on it that the staff in AMS will see, or they may give you a special card to show to get into the quicker line. Don't throw away your boarding pass until you know. Either way, at that time of the day, this may save you some time getting through immigration, although there likely will be other KLM flights arriving in the morning with premium passengers. But I don't think immigration lines at AMS have a reputation of being that bad anyway (though with recent events I guess it's unknown). Even if you fly through immigration, though, you'll still have to wait for your bags. Delta will put priority tags on them that means they theoretically should among the first to come up out of the belt, but whether AMS baggage handlers give a crap about these tags is open to debate.

Edited by Regguy

I would rather pay the extra money for a comfortable seat than sitting with my knees in my chest for 8hrs in coach. Plus the benefit of the extra baggage allowance and not having to board with the whole herd and hoping to find overhead bin space. But I like to travel in comfort, so that is just my opinion. ;)

1. A hotel doesn't have to be "super luxurious" in order to get some sleep, so it's not necessarily a "biz class OR high end hotel" type of choice.

2. Often one might arrive (US to Europe, for ex.) early in the morning and be unable to get into one's room until mid afternoon, thus spending the day exhausted.

3. Occasionally one hits upon a deal whereby biz class is only a few hundred more than economy.

It's always a personal choice, so YMMV.

1. I agree but a super luxurious hotel often means great bed, perfect temperature, quiet etc. so it's normally better than a cheap hotel.

2. Depending of the season it might be possible to book a hotel for your preferred times or just to pay extra for a very early check in. Probably easier on a luxurious hotel than on a cheap hotel. If booking a cheap hotel it might be worth it to book an extra night and check in very late, in the morning.

3. Occasionally yes but normally it's more like $1000 extra (one way). Even if it's only a few hundred more it's still cheaper to book a nice hotel if the sleep is the important thing.

I would rather pay the extra money for a comfortable seat than sitting with my knees in my chest for 8hrs in coach. Plus the benefit of the extra baggage allowance and not having to board with the whole herd and hoping to find overhead bin space. But I like to travel in comfort, so that is just my opinion. ;)

I like to travel in comfort too.

Our first businessclass experience over the Atlantic was last year when we flew to New York from London. Now I can't see any way back to economy to America.

When flying during the night it's different. If I shall sleep I rather save the extra $1000 a business seat cost. I might pay for business when flying back to Europe but not to sleep! I might do it for the lounge before the flight, nice food on the plane, lots of Champagne, a comfortable seat for watching some movies, lounge access at Heathrow for a shower before our flight to Arlanda and hopefully we will get our luggage back first when we are back in Sweden!!

1. I agree but a super luxurious hotel often means great bed, perfect temperature, quiet etc. so it's normally better than a cheap hotel.

2. Depending of the season it might be possible to book a hotel for your preferred times or just to pay extra for a very early check in. Probably easier on a luxurious hotel than on a cheap hotel. If booking a cheap hotel it might be worth it to book an extra night and check in very late, in the morning.

3. Occasionally yes but normally it's more like $1000 extra (one way). Even if it's only a few hundred more it's still cheaper to book a nice hotel if the sleep is the important thing.

Have you every flown Business Class on a long flight overseas? I have always used my miles and I think it is worth every mile. I almost never use my miles for domestic flights because the long haul business awards are a better use of the miles.

No way I am suggesting your opinion is not valid. I was just wondering if you have ever taken a long haul flight in Business so you could actual compare the experiences.

For us it makes the flight more enjoyable and we do not dread the flight as much. We flew 15.5 hours in coach to Melbourne Australia once and we will never do it again. Even if I had to pay for the Business Class seat it would be less expensive than a divorce.

I'm curious about the "express" meal service. How do you get it and how does it work.

Express meal service: Just tell the FA when they take your meal order that you like the express service. They'll serve it all at once rather than in separate courses. You can get done more quickly and thus get to sleep more quickly than the drawn out service.

As for Sky Priority, it's isn't really "easier" per se, just faster. You have priority for check in, boarding, etc. Sometimes the SP check in line is shorter, sometimes not. Sometimes there is a SP security lane and again- sometimes it's shorter than the regular lane, sometimes not. You'll board earlier than coach, but this can be either an advantage or a disadvantage. You're about to be on a plane for 7-8+ hours, so sometimes waiting to board is preferred.

It's a matter of preference. I'd rather sleep on the plane and power through the first day in Europe; that's what works for me to get my body on local time. And I find it a LOT easier to sleep in business class so book that when I can. I did find a biz rate for this June that was only a few hundred more than coach, so it was pretty much a wash- either book that OR book a hotel room that was a few hundred more. But I either pay the extra for the hotel x 3 nights, which ends up being a lot more than the additional $ for biz, or I switch hotels after the first night, which is an added hassle. I know that type of biz rate isn't the norm; hence, the reason I previously said it is "occasionally" possible. Still don't see the need for a "super luxurious" hotel though; I may prefer the amenities of a 5 star hotel, but can generally sleep as well in a 3 star as I can a 5 star.

As I said before, YMMV. YOU don't want to pay for biz class. I get that. But it doesn't mean it's always a bad idea for everyone. ;)

Have you every flown Business Class on a long flight overseas? I have always used my miles and I think it is worth every mile. I almost never use my miles for domestic flights because the long haul business awards are a better use of the miles.

No way I am suggesting your opinion is not valid. I was just wondering if you have ever taken a long haul flight in Business so you could actual compare the experiences.

For us it makes the flight more enjoyable and we do not dread the flight as much. We flew 15.5 hours in coach to Melbourne Australia once and we will never do it again. Even if I had to pay for the Business Class seat it would be less expensive than a divorce.

I have done both. It's enjoyable as a perk, but I wouldn't pay for it. Not worth it to me. Maybe I am still young enough that the the overnight in coach doesn't wipe me out. (I can doze, and I can power through the next day). Maybe I am just thrifty. I travel on my own dime, usually 3x overseas annually (and occasionally on company dime). I'd rather squeeze three trips in at coach prices than make 1-2 at the first-class premium.

As was said, just ask for the express meal service when the FA takes your order on the plane. You will get that fairly quickly, then if you skip breakfast on the plane you can have a decent 5+ hour rest on the plane. I still like the idea of leaving your luggage with the hotel and stay up as late as possible on the day of arrival. Upon arrival in AMS you might consider using the lounge for breakfast, a shower and a change of clothes. I find that really helpful. Then proceed to baggage claim and your hotel to drop off the luggage.

Just my own thoughts as an ex-biz TA commuter and now a 'pay your own way' traveller.

From Europe to the east coast of the US / Canada, assuming a a daylight flight, I would not consider Club, unless you have money to burn. Just book premium economy in BA or Virgin. The same applies on a return night flight - the shorter flight times makes Club even more uneconomical. I was once flying from Toronto to Heathrow in Club, and the Captain announced the good news that the flight would only be 6 hours - fortunately I had been upgraded, but otherwise I would have been working out the cost per flying hour and crying.

Flying further afield is more difficult, but I would advise everyone to look outside the box. My wife and I have recently come back from Malaysia /Bali. We flew on Malaysian Airlines, in the upper cabin, loads of room, great service, and for the internal flight, we bid and got upgraded to Club, together with lounge access using the MAH online bidding system . The message is, dont just go with the obvious carrier.

Finally, not all of us can afford Club. DW and I will shortly be enjoying a full Panama transit cruise, lasting 15 days. Our Premium economy flights with Virgin Atlantic gave cost us almost 50% of the total cost of the cruise (mini suite). If we we to fly Club, the flights would cost more than the cruise - to me, this seems a cost too far. I would rather gave another 7 day cruise than 10 hours in Club.

It's a matter of preference. I'd rather sleep on the plane and power through the first day in Europe; that's what works for me to get my body on local time. And I find it a LOT easier to sleep in business class so book that when I can. I did find a biz rate for this June that was only a few hundred more than coach, so it was pretty much a wash- either book that OR book a hotel room that was a few hundred more. But I either pay the extra for the hotel x 3 nights, which ends up being a lot more than the additional $ for biz, or I switch hotels after the first night, which is an added hassle. I know that type of biz rate isn't the norm; hence, the reason I previously said it is "occasionally" possible. Still don't see the need for a "super luxurious" hotel though; I may prefer the amenities of a 5 star hotel, but can generally sleep as well in a 3 star as I can a 5 star.

As I said before, YMMV. YOU don't want to pay for biz class. I get that. But it doesn't mean it's always a bad idea for everyone. ;)

The reason why I suggested a super luxurious hotel was that if someone wants to pay $1000 extra for 5-6 hours good sleep, MY OPINION is that the money is better spent on a nice hotel.

I understand that for Americans travelling to Europe for vacation it might be worth some extra money to sleep better on the plane, when I'm travelling from America my vacation is over so if I sleep or don't isn't that important.

I also understand that people travelling for business might have a meeting or something else which is important and because of that want/need as much sleep as possible on the plane.

When on vacation I think that it's better to use more of what you pay for, get some nice sleep but before that enjoy dinner and some drinks and watch a movie in a comfortable seat.

I really don't mind to pay for business class but for me it's not worth the money to pay $1000 extra (I know sometimes the difference is less but more often it's more) just to sleep. I can pay it for the other things I get but not only for sleeping.

Yes I have so I know the difference.

I really love to fly in business and I will probably pay for it every time I shall fly to America because I think that it is good value for money.

I only said that I don't think that it's worth $1000 extra just to be able to sleep better.

The last time we flew home from New York we flew in World Traveller (BA's economy on long haul) and the flight was okay. We really wanted lounge access, a whole day on JFK is much better with lounge access, but should not pay $1000 extra just to sleep better on the plane. We could pay it, and probably will next time, for lounge access on JFK, nice dinner on the plane, lots of Champagne on the plane, a comfortable seat and lounge access on Heathrow but not only to sleep better.

So somehow we ended up with first/business over to Europe (night flight) and Economy back to the US (day flight) for 1600 each. (Delta) I can upgrade to Comfort for $100 each

I can see Economy both ways for $1000 each.... (American/BA)

My gut says to keep what I have but my bargain hunting self says to save that grand.

Please confirm my gut.... :D:D:D:D

Listen to your gut!!!!

As you probably understand, I suggest that you don't sleep too much on the plane!

Take advantage of everything you have paid for! Arrive early to the airport and eat something in the lounge and have some drinks. Go to the gate when you still have the use of the Fast Track (=don't plan to be the last on board). Enjoy a nice dinner and some drinks and watch a movie, or two, before you try to get some sleep. Enjoy a nice breakfast before you land.

Enjoy your flight!!!

Edited by sverigecruiser

You should probably start a few days before getting used to getting up earlier than usual and going to bed earlier if you can. The problem is that nothing you do is likely to have you prepared to fall asleep at 6:30 p.m. Even if you get to sleep around 8:30 p.m., the flight attendants will probably wake you up about 30 minutes before landing, so the best you can do is 4.5 hours sleep. I'm not sure I would take melatonin in that circumstance, because even if it helps put you to sleep, you'll still be tired when you wake up.

If I can get 4 - 4.5 hours of sleep, I'll be great! I used to go to bed around 12:30am or so and get up at 5am for work. I'm retired now, but my cat thinks 5am is still a good time to eat breakfast :D I can function on 4-4.5 hours - not ideal, but I can manage.

That flight is so short, and leaves so early in the evening, that for a flight like that,

LOL - we're used to flying to Bermuda - 90 minutes - 7 hours is a LOOOONG flight for us :D

Sky priority will give you a few advantages. At Newark Airport, there will be a special check in and baggage check lane for business class customers. Use it if it's shorter than the general line. You'll also be eligible to go through a security line at TSA for premium customers. If you have precheck, though, that's better. You'll be eligible to use the lounge in the Delta terminal in EWR (terminal B). Delta doesn't have many gates in Newark, so the lounge may be uncrowded, I'm really not too sure how much it gets in the way of crowds. It's reported to be a nice lounge.

Upon landing, you'll have access to a fast-track immigration line. I don't know how Delta does it -- it may be your boarding pass that has some notation on it that the staff in AMS will see, or they may give you a special card to show to get into the quicker line. Don't throw away your boarding pass until you know. Either way, at that time of the day, this may save you some time getting through immigration, although there likely will be other KLM flights arriving in the morning with premium passengers. But I don't think immigration lines at AMS have a reputation of being that bad anyway (though with recent events I guess it's unknown). Even if you fly through immigration, though, you'll still have to wait for your bags. Delta will put priority tags on them that means they theoretically should among the first to come up out of the belt, but whether AMS baggage handlers give a crap about these tags is open to debate.

LOL - well I hope they pay some attention:) Thanks for all your help and tips. Most of our flights are to Bermuda so getting Premium economy with the slightly wider seats and leg room works for those flights. We decided we just could deal even with that for the longer over night flight. We'll be flying back from Zurich - so even a longer flight, but at least it will be daylight. Looking forward to our first business/first flight - I have a feeling we will be hooked!

With you on that! We even upgrade to economy plus on our 90 minute flights to Bermuda. Did it once in the "new" size seats - no thanks!

LOL - we're used to flying to Bermuda - 90 minutes

Most of our flights are to Bermuda so getting Premium economy with the slightly wider seats and leg room works for those flights.

Curious.... what airline flies from the US to Bermuda (assume your 90 min flight is US-Bermuda) and offers premium economy? :confused:

None of the US-based airlines have an actual "premium economy" cabin, and none of the various economy plus/economy comfort type seats have a wider seat, just more legroom and an inch or two of additional recline.

Curious.... what airline flies from the US to Bermuda (assume your 90 min flight is US-Bermuda) and offers premium economy? :confused:

None of the US-based airlines have an actual "premium economy" cabin, and none of the various economy plus/economy comfort type seats have a wider seat, just more legroom and an inch or two of additional recline.

United from EWR. It's not a separate cabin, but it is a separate section. I forget what they call it, but the seats are definitely wider. We've been in both. Don't fit in the standard seat, but we had room in these.

Yes I have so I know the difference.

I really love to fly in business and I will probably pay for it every time I shall fly to America because I think that it is good value for money.

I only said that I don't think that it's worth $1000 extra just to be able to sleep better.

The last time we flew home from New York we flew in World Traveller (BA's economy on long haul) and the flight was okay. We really wanted lounge access, a whole day on JFK is much better with lounge access, but should not pay $1000 extra just to sleep better on the plane. We could pay it, and probably will next time, for lounge access on JFK, nice dinner on the plane, lots of Champagne on the plane, a comfortable seat and lounge access on Heathrow but not only to sleep better.

Thanks for the explanation.

United from EWR. It's not a separate cabin, but it is a separate section. I forget what they call it, but the seats are definitely wider. We've been in both. Don't fit in the standard seat, but we had room in these.

United calls it Economy Plus. I think you are confusing legroom with seat width, as UA's seat width in econ+ is the same as in regular economy, only the legroom is increased. Same with Delta's Comfort+. ;)

(As mentioned before, neither are true "premium economy" products, which usually DOES offer additional seat width.)

I tried it in the early summer. Went economy to Amsterdam thinking that it was a relatively short flight from the DC area. After all, I was saving lots of points. During the morning as I was touring around, I hit a brick wall. I did not have that feeling last year when I flew Business/First Class. This year I have learned my lesson - we are flying overnight in Business to LHR/MRS and then our return during the day is economy.

Stick with your gut. Your body will thank you and you'll feel refreshed when you arrive at your destination.

United calls it Economy Plus. I think you are confusing legroom with seat width, as UA's seat width in econ+ is the same as in regular economy, only the legroom is increased. Same with Delta's Comfort+. ;)

(As mentioned before, neither are true "premium economy" products, which usually DOES offer additional seat width.)

Excuse me, but I'm not an idiot - I know the difference between legroom and where my butt goes!

I'm done here!