First vs Economy

Justprettynpink

So somehow we ended up with first/business over to Europe (night flight) and Economy back to the US (day flight) for 1600 each. (Delta) I can upgrade to Comfort for $100 each

I can see Economy both ways for $1000 each.... (American/BA)

My gut says to keep what I have but my bargain hunting self says to save that grand.

Please confirm my gut.... :D:D:D:D

Economy on a night flight is no fun, whatever the carrier. Go with your gut - also you will feel much better for the first few days of your vacation after a trip in First, rather than economy.

Yes, do it.

Assuming this extra money isn't the last of your food money for vacation :eek:. you will be VERY happy indeed as you sleep comfortably.

And you'll feel so much better once you arrive.

For some of us (less so when we were younger, but even then...), the first day or two after a long night flight in cattle class was a bit wasted, with naps or just not feeling quite up to par.

So compare that extra cost to an extra night or two at a hotel, something you now wouldn't need.

Alitalia upgraded us last year (due to equipment changes) from Premium Economy to Business flat bed.

It was a scam - JOKE ALERT! ;)

They got us hooked!

We are now finally using our long-saved mileage points for business/first, and I just can't see going back, not for overseas trips or night flights.

Our first trip like this will be in a few months, and we are now looking forward to the flight itself, something unimaginable before.

ENJOY!

And the Delta Comfort is worth the $100 for the trip back?

I would say yes. Because of prevailing winds, westbound flights over the pond take up to an hour longer than eastbound (sometimes more) so having the extra legroom would be a priority in my mind.

Thanks for your input! My gut has won

Not familiar with "Delta Comfort" (which might be different for international or domestic??). Is it extra legroom *only* or is it also a wider, softer seat with more recline? And perhaps better service/food/snacks?

[For example JetBlue's "extra space" is literally just that: Extra space for legroom. The seats are identical.]

Usually the "premium economy" class costs more than $100 extra for international, at least when it is a really different seat. Especially if so, that's a great price, in my mind.

It sounds like you got a great price for the trip, with that business/first outbound.

Do you know if the outbound trip has a flat bed, or a nice recliner seat?

And, how did you get that price? :)

Not familiar with "Delta Comfort" (which might be different for international or domestic??). Is it extra legroom *only* or is it also a wider, softer seat with more recline? And perhaps better service/food/snacks?

[For example JetBlue's "extra space" is literally just that: Extra space for legroom. The seats are identical.]

Usually the "premium economy" class costs more than $100 extra for international, at least when it is a really different seat. Especially if so, that's a great price, in my mind.

It sounds like you got a great price for the trip, with that business/first outbound.

WE chose to do Delta Comfort, both ways, for our May, 2016 Transatlantic flights.

Yes, paid an additional $99.00 PP each way.

Now at 55 days out, there are only a smattering of single Delta Comfort seats left,

and Delta reduced the price to $89.00.

FYI... Delta Comfort :

More legroom

Sky Priority® boarding access

with dedicated overhead bin space

Complimentary beer, wine and spirits

Complimentary premium entertainment

First/business class upgrade (with flatbed) would have been an additional $1600. PP each way.

Edited by $hip$hape

Delta Comfort has more leg room, more recline and free "spirits"

There are "beds" in business/first class.

I had booked through Princess EZair on the first day that the flights became available. I booked Economy both ways....I check things frequently and our schedule changed and so did the economy to first....I could not believe my eyes...I can sleep anywhere anytime but DH is not able to rest unless he is in a bed...

I know

I had booked through Princess EZair on the first day that the flights became available. I booked Economy both ways....I check things frequently and our schedule changed and so did the economy to first....I could not believe my eyes...I can sleep anywhere anytime but DH is not able to rest unless he is in a bed...

I know

Amazing :)

And good luck returning to "economy" on long overnight flights :(

After that Alitalia surprise, we are extremely glad we've accumulated a stash of points in two programs (and those can also be switched to partners in alliances, etc.).

We'll "spend" them carefully, for those overnight flights, and only for flatbed seats.

You'll love those!

Enjoy!

I know

Curious... what type of aircraft will you be on?

we are lucky the return trip is not over night

Yes, return flights are normally during the day.

Our flight to CDG-Paris arrives at 8:30 am... 2:30am our time :eek:

Like your DH, I also have significant jet-lag/sleep issues.

Me wife says, just don't think about it.:rolleyes:

Just be sure that the flight over is DeltaOne in all flights. Sometimes, when you book, it shows a mixed cabin arrangement - you may have First on the domestic leg and economy on the international leg. Just saying…

Delta Comfort + is not a separate premium economy cabin like some international airlines have. It is the first few rows of economy and just has those features a previous poster listed. If I've got to be in the "back of the bus", I always pay the extra - I like that extra inch of recline and the extra inch of legroom!

I'll agree about Alitalia Magnifica class - those were the best lay-flat seats I've had so far on my TATL flights. And, the food and wine were definitely the best I've had TATL!!!! Unfortunately, I had to pay for mine (with 96,000 FF miles).

Just be sure that the flight over is DeltaOne in all flights. Sometimes, when you book, it shows a mixed cabin arrangement - you may have First on the domestic leg and economy on the international leg. Just saying…

Delta Comfort + is not a separate premium economy cabin like some international airlines have. It is the first few rows of economy and just has those features a previous poster listed. If I've got to be in the "back of the bus", I always pay the extra - I like that extra inch of recline and the extra inch of legroom!

I'll agree about Alitalia Magnifica class - those were the best lay-flat seats I've had so far on my TATL flights. And, the food and wine were definitely the best I've had TATL!!!! Unfortunately, I had to pay for mine (with 96,000 FF miles).

What a surprise that was.

We knew about the upgrade, but it had not occurred to us that it would be flatbed (and we'd never had that before).

And yes... the food, on rolling carts... and the service.

The way they *serve* the food. That is, they SERVE it, they don't just toss a combo dish at you.

The platters of food, and we asked for seconds - YUM.

We weren't crazy about the wines offered, but then, we are a bit fussy about fine wine (yes, a serious extra expense on cruises, definitely, but that's almost all we drink).

For the next trip, we are trying Lufthansa and British air (snagged FIRST on that for a trans-Atlantic), just to find out "what's out there" in terms of premium seats ;)

What we are focusing on is flatbed seats whenever possible. There seem to be a fair number of Business class on international carriers for over-water flights. They might not be the fancy "suites", but that's not what we really need (if "need" is appropriate; this is all "extra", of course!).

Fun!

It is first/business both domestic and international

a330-300

That is configured 1-2-1 so everyone has aisle access. Very nice configuration and experience. The last time I flew them in business (last month) they served what was probably the best dinner I have ever had in the air. Plus, the lie-flat seat was awesome. I asked for their "express" dining option (whatever they call it) so I would have more time to sleep on the eastbound transatlantic flight. Worked great.

That is configured 1-2-1 so everyone has aisle access. Very nice configuration and experience. The last time I flew them in business (last month) they served what was probably the best dinner I have ever had in the air. Plus, the lie-flat seat was awesome. I asked for their "express" dining option (whatever they call it) so I would have more time to sleep on the eastbound transatlantic flight. Worked great.

YES! Very nice for first class. WE are on a 757-200 configure 2-2, so if you have a window seat, you would have to crawl over your sleeping companion if you had to go pee.:p

Only you can determine if it's worth it to you. Several people have mentioned that Comfort+ includes free spirits, but Delta now includes free spirits for everyone in economy on TATL flights. You'll have a few inches of extra legroom, a tiny amount of additional incline, and earlier boarding.

Usually the "premium economy" class costs more than $100 extra for international,

The seat itself will be the same size as in regular economy.

Comfort+ is not a "premium economy" product. Many people confuse true premium economy products with "economy plus" type products. Apples and oranges.

We can't wait to try this next trip.

Outbound on Lufthansa, we are on the upper deck of a 747. (It's been ages since we've been in one of those.)

The seating up there is 2 and 2, and about 8 rows, with 2 or 3 flight attendants.

The same B-class seating has a larger section in the main cabin, but that has something like 2+2+2, and more rows (this from memory, about each row), and apparently the upper deck seems almost like a private jet (well, I guess a bit "fatter", of course, with 2+2 and all flatbed).

Returning, we've got 1st class BA, with pod/suite-like seats/beds. There are 5 or 6 singles on each side, and for the last 2 of those, there are 2 pairs in the center, and we got one of those pairs.

We aren't quite sure when we'll ever get a chance to have a suite-like experience again, although this is more "pod" than "suite", I'm guessing.

We've still got tons of points left, although I think we'll be "spending" them faster than we'll replace them.

Does anyone have any recent experience with either of these?

In each case, we've got a connection within Europe to/from a smaller airport.

Now... if the "world safety" situation just calms down.... :mad:

Well, if money isn't an issue, live it up and don't stinge on pampering yourself! It does make a difference.

I only fly business on work-trips and it sure does make a difference!

Had the privilege to fly on Air Canada, London Heathrow to Ottawa return in their International Business Class. Having a flat bed to sleep was good.

[YOUTUBE]6aJr9NxVj4s[/YOUTUBE]

If you ever come to Asia, try Singapore Airlines! This flight was from London Heathrow to Singapore, in the New Business Class.

[YOUTUBE]UCSs8iQ3jOE[/YOUTUBE]

For me, it might depend on the city pairs, time of departure, and what kind of economy seats I could get myself into.

If you're flying ATL to MAD, for example, it's a flight blocked for 8 hours and 30 minutes that often takes less than 8 hours, and it departs around 5:30 p.m. By the time you eat and it's your natural bed time, you're only a few hours out of Madrid anyway, and you're going to be shot the next day whether you have a flat bed or not. I believe the A330 has 2 seats by the windows in Y. If I were on a short flight leaving in the late afternoon, and could get an exit row or some highly rated 2-seat side of the plane by paying $200 and could save a net $1200, I'd probably do it, unless my cruise was leaving the same day I arrived in Europe, in which case I'd probably stay in business class, get up around 3:00 a.m. the day of the flight, refuse dinner, not drink, and recline my seat as soon as we were in the air and then take a Melatonin.

If it were a 9 hour plus flight to Munich that left at 7:30, I'd probably get a lot more out of having the flat bed.

Transatlantic to me is all about the sleep and arriving in good enough shape not to waste 2 days in Europe. Paradoxically, I find that east coast USA to western Europe can be worse than flying to Europe from the West Coast of the USA (where you can eat, go to sleep at your regular time, and still get a decent sleep). Equally paradoxically, I find that the better the service, food, drink, etc., the worse shape I'm in when I arrive, because who wants to pay the extra money or miles to miss out on free drinks and a served meal, etc. But with tail winds flying east to Europe, and the fact that most airlines now leave in the late afternoon so they can arrive at the beginning of business hours Europe time, this turns out to be a bit of a trap.

If you fly one of those routes, you'll see some people in business attire, who go directly to the bathroom while on the ground, change into sleep wear, recline into a bed as soon as they hit 10,000 feet, and fit their ear plugs and eyeshades. They know what they're doing.

If you're flying ATL to MAD, for example, it's a flight blocked for 8 hours and 30 minutes that often takes less than 8 hours, and it departs around 5:30 p.m. By the time you eat and it's your natural bed time, you're only a few hours out of Madrid anyway, and you're going to be shot the next day whether you have a flat bed or not...

Transatlantic to me is all about the sleep and arriving in good enough shape not to waste 2 days in Europe.

If you fly one of those routes, you'll see some people in business attire, who go directly to the bathroom while on the ground, change into sleep wear, recline into a bed as soon as they hit 10,000 feet, and fit their ear plugs and eyeshades. They know what they're doing.

The problem with most people on the east coast to Europe flights is that they do what you say - take the drawn-out meal service. Then yes, it is tough to get a good sleep. Either eat before boarding or ask for the "express" meal service offered by many airlines in business class now. I did the "express" service last month from MSP to AMS. Was in the reclined position by the time most people were still eating their main course. Had a good night's rest, skipped breakfast, had breakfast and a shower in the lounge upon arrival.

I personally think that paying for businessclass to be able to sleep is a waste of money when on vacation. It's better to fly in economy and check in on a superluxorious hotel when arriving and get some sleep there. I think that's better use of money and most of the time it's also cheaper to do that.

As said, just my personal opinion. I understand that lots of people won't agree!!!