Sushi on 5 was excellent today.

robsmom

We will board the Reflection next week and I am looking forward to checking out Sushi on 5. I appreciate the suggestions of what to order. I think the Lobster Raman sounds delicious! I am especially looking forward to trying the drink called the Smashy Japanese.....yummm.:D

Thank you for robsmom for your report .

It was 70 dollars. A bit much for lunch, but reasonable as a dinner choice versus a specialty.

$70???? :eek:

OK...

Dear Celebrity... You are going to wait for a long time for my $70.

Whether the 70 was for 3 or 4 , I'll second your eek .

The worst part is that they have used its opening as an excuse to eliminate "free" sushi .

Edited by richstowe

I like sushi. I will not pay extra for it on a ship. I also like seafood. I also did not visit the Porch on the Silhouette on my last cruise. I will not pay extra for seafood. There are plenty of included good food choices available at no extra cost. As more and more previously included items become an extra cost, the value will change. How long before they start charging for other standard items? I liked Bistro on 5 and the Porch before the new changes. The original concept at $5pp was a lovely way to enjoy a nice meal away from the buffet. It was a nice concept. As the cost increased, fewer people went there. It priced itself too high. Now with the new increased fees, I wonder how many people will frequent the Sushi on 5. If Sushi was $5pp per visit, it might attract some people. The Porch on the Silhouette was empty. When will it become someplace different?

We looked at the menu and it was similar prices to local sushi places here. I already feel nickeled and dimed so much more now on Celebrity, so we did not try it. But, the food looked good! It wasn't very busy a few weeks ago on Reflection. We are tired of having to pay so much extra for all of the new food options.

Although we are Elite+, my wife and I decided about 2 years ago that we had enough of the nickle&diming by X and reduced value for money, especially since quality dropped significantly for pax staying in normal accomodation ( we do not need the space of a suite, but we do want good food!!)

We now cruise with the competitor, HAL, which is about to launch a new ship designed by Tihany.

As we love Sushi, but refuse to pay extra for it, HAL offers a nice selection of sushi every lunch. Nicely presented on Japanese plates,mwith all condiments, and they use raw fish, not only vegetables and tinned crab like last times on X:rolleyes:.

We would love to return to Celebrity, we used to feel at home onboard their ships, but as long as they keep reducing the price-quality, it is Sayonara from us to them.

Although we are Elite+, my wife and I decided about 2 years ago that we had enough of the nickle&diming by X and reduced value for money, especially since quality dropped significantly for pax staying in normal accomodation ( we do not need the space of a suite, but we do want good food!!)

We now cruise with the competitor, HAL, which is about to launch a new ship designed by Tihany.

As we love Sushi, but refuse to pay extra for it, HAL offers a nice selection of sushi every lunch. Nicely presented on Japanese plates,mwith all condiments, and they use raw fish, not only vegetables and tinned crab like last times on X:rolleyes:.

We would love to return to Celebrity, we used to feel at home onboard their ships, but as long as they keep reducing the price-quality, it is Sayonara from us to them.

Boy are you quick. It has been less than a month since Celebrity has implemented this new concept on one ship. During that month you decided to not cruise on Celebrity because "you refuse to pay extra for it" and you now cruise with HAL. Haven't you been told a million times not to exaggerate?

I do hope you enjoy your HAL cruises. We cruise once and it was not for us, but maybe we should try it again when we are older. It is hard when we enjoy Celebrity so much and for the most part we love the changes, but can see why they are not for everyone.

Edited by jagoffee

The above pictures look real yummy. I for one don't mind shelling out some extra money if the food is worth it.....:):):)

Bob

Our thoughts exactly... And what we had was really nice and hopefully it will be on our next cruise also! [emoji39]

I'm struggling with the idea of someone who will pay four digits for a cruise, maybe also three digits for car parking at the port, but won't splash a little on food that's above and beyond the norm.

The "free" food is inevitably going to continue to trend downward in quality as people search for ever cheaper deals and all the cruise lines slit each others' throats in the race to the bottom. Within ten years expect to see beans on toast on the menu. If you want good quality food then it costs more to source, prepare and serve than the bland offering in MDR or the self service buffet. There will be a charge for it. And yet, this forum lit up with consternation about the terrible unfairness when Celebrity were going to open Luminae for the suite guests paying top dollar. What am I missing?

I think that people who use the term "nickel and dime" have forgotten that the concept is to help people save money not spend money. These cruise companies have chosen to keep standard rates fairly low but give the option to get an upgraded product or a more customized product to others who don't mind spending more money. I wouldn't want my cruise fare to increase to give free alcohol to everyone, I hardly drink at all...if you want it, you buy it. Same with food....I wouldn't want my standard cruise fare to increase to upgrade the food in the dining room, we are very happy with it, so those people who are unhappy with standard dining room food have the option to increase the enjoyment of their cruise without my rate going up. I like the concept, my husband and I get to have the customized cruise we want without paying for things we don't care about and that makes our cruise perfect for us.

Desertbelle , you make a well reasoned case, to a point . But at when does the a la carte pricing model go too far especially when items that were formerly included are now additional fee . Does Celebrity want to emulate NCL's pricing model or perhaps go even further ? Where does it stop ? You seem to be very accepting of cuts . You say you wouldn't support increased prices for better MDR food . OK but are you accepting of lower quality food or less choices for the same prices ? Frankly an extra cost sushi option that replaces an extra cost crepe place ,that nobody used, is fine with me . It's the simultaneous elimination of included items , in this case sushi that is annoying .

I remember my wife enjoying the "free" outdoor Zumba classes . It was announced that these would be eliminated and replaced with fee based classes . What about if the pool towels were eliminated or downgraded but for a low low price you could join the new towel program . Again , the problem isn't extra fee options but the elimination or cheapening of non-charge options .

I think that people who use the term "nickel and dime" have forgotten that the concept is to help people save money not spend money. These cruise companies have chosen to keep standard rates fairly low but give the option to get an upgraded product or a more customized product to others who don't mind spending more money. I wouldn't want my cruise fare to increase to give free alcohol to everyone, I hardly drink at all...if you want it, you buy it. Same with food....I wouldn't want my standard cruise fare to increase to upgrade the food in the dining room, we are very happy with it, so those people who are unhappy with standard dining room food have the option to increase the enjoyment of their cruise without my rate going up. I like the concept, my husband and I get to have the customized cruise we want without paying for things we don't care about and that makes our cruise perfect for us.

If you find the standard rates very low, you are lucky.

I find that I am paying more and more for the same cruises each year. And I am getting less.

I'm struggling with the idea of someone who will pay four digits for a cruise, maybe also three digits for car parking at the port, but won't splash a little on food that's above and beyond the norm.

The "free" food is inevitably going to continue to trend downward in quality as people search for ever cheaper deals and all the cruise lines slit each others' throats in the race to the bottom. Within ten years expect to see beans on toast on the menu. If you want good quality food then it costs more to source, prepare and serve than the bland offering in MDR or the self service buffet. There will be a charge for it. And yet, this forum lit up with consternation about the terrible unfairness when Celebrity were going to open Luminae for the suite guests paying top dollar. What am I missing?

Magic 8 Ball says "highly unlikely".

If you find the standard rates very low' date=' you are lucky.

[i']I find that I am paying more and more for the same cruises each year. And I am getting less.[/i]

In 2002, my husband and I took our sons, 18 and 21, on a cruise to the Caribbean, 7 days. It was our first and only cruise on NCL (the Sun, one of their older ships) and our first balcony. We got what we thought, at the time, a good deal on a balcony cabin for us, and an inside cabin for the boys. The balcony was $899 pp and the inside was $699 pp. We thought that a little over $100 a day for a balcony was reasonable. The cruise we are taking next week on the Reflection, in a Aqua Class cabin, is about $100 a day!! 14 years later and the prices are the same!!

If you find the standard rates very low' date=' you are lucky.

[i']I find that I am paying more and more for the same cruises each year. And I am getting less.[/i]

I can cruise today in an Oceanview view cabin for less than I paid in 1980, so I suppose it depends how far back you go for your comparison.

Edited by jagoffee

In 2002, my husband and I took our sons, 18 and 21, on a cruise to the Caribbean, 7 days. It was our first and only cruise on NCL (the Sun, one of their older ships) and our first balcony. We got what we thought, at the time, a good deal on a balcony cabin for us, and an inside cabin for the boys. The balcony was $899 pp and the inside was $699 pp. We thought that a little over $100 a day for a balcony was reasonable. The cruise we are taking next week on the Reflection, in a Aqua Class cabin, is about $100 a day!! 14 years later and the prices are the same!!

I can cruise today in an Oceanview view cabin for less than I paid in 1980, so I suppose it depends how far back you go for your comparison.

I keep reading posts like these from people who are paying the same or less than they did in the past.

We must just choose really popular weeks because we're paying about 50% more than we did.

Desertbelle - our Aqua class cabin has been slowly creeping up from about $180/pp /per day (before taxes) a few years ago to about $225/pp/per day for next year. We usually sail in February and book early, so have only seen the price for our cabin rise after booking.

Good for you if you're really only paying $100 /day but that isn't our experience.

And, yes, I agree that in the last 4 or years I've seen many cut backs.

Adding Sushi on 5 is fine - it's just sad that that also involved eliminating the free sushi in the buffet.

• 3 months later...
It was 70 dollars. A bit much for lunch, but reasonable as a dinner choice versus a specialty.
Wow. We have some very, very good sushi restaurants here in Reno and you can usually get all-you-can-eat, including specialty rolls, for $25 - $30 each for dinner, and $15 - $20 for lunch. I'll miss the crepe place -- last time we ate several dinners there and lunch on embarkation day. Can't see doing that with the sushi joint; too expensive for something not especially unique.

$70, so roughly $23 per person. Is it a flat charge like Bistro on 5 was, or is it priced per item? There are decent all-you-can-eat sushi places on land that are $19.95 for lunch and you can try everything on the menu.

I don't see myself ever going to Sushi on 5 and paying those a la carte prices PLUS 18% gratuity. However, I might be open to a sushi choice through room service, even if it carried an upcharge. Or perhaps a reasonably priced "carry out" selection (minus the 18% service charge). As others have mentioned, it's nice to enjoy a glass of wine and sushi on our balcony late afternoon.

SO5 is a la carte. There's a menu posted in a different thread; the pricing is extravagant.

I don't agree with the "it's all just more choices" cutback cheerleaders (I think I'm just sensitive to that because my first cruise was on NCL which is now officially the Nickel Collecting Line, and that forum is the paragon of that argument.)

You used to get sushi for free in the buffet. Now you don't. You have the 'choice' to pay more money for what you used to get included in the fare. I don't view that as X being such gracious and wonderful hosts to magnanimously extend us the option to partake of sushi, I view it as them miserly demanding $10 for a California roll in a ship where meals are allegedly included in the fare.