Top Things to Do and See in Rome

HEINER

We will be in Rome for five days in September what were your favorite things to see and do while in Rome?

We have tickets for the Scavi Tour. Still need to book the Vatican and Colosseum tours.

This will be our first time in Rome.

Thanks, so much for any information you can give us!

Our favorite thing was an underground tour of the Colosseom, a walking food tour of the Trastevere neighbourhood and the Pantheon.

If you'll be in Rome on a Friday, you may want to consider booking a Friday night ticket for the Vatican as it's less crowded.

We will be in Rome for five days in September what were your favorite things to see and do while in Rome?

We have tickets for the Scavi Tour. Still need to book the Vatican and Colosseum tours.

This will be our first time in Rome.

Thanks, so much for any information you can give us!

5 days - great! There are so many choices from which to choose in this amazing city. Among my favorites (other than those already listed) are:

Roman Forum

Baths of Caracalla & Diocletian

San Clemente - twelfth century basilica built atop both a fourth century church and a third century Temple of Mithras. Very interesting.

Borghese Gallery - you reserve online - magnificent collection! http://www.galleriaborghese.it/borghese/it/default.htm

Etruscan Museum - housed in the Villa Giulia

http://www.villagiulia.beniculturali.it/#_=_

Castel Sant'Angelo

Capuchin Crypt

Borghese Gallery is one of our favorites. Book ahead. They limit entry for two hour periods.

Colosseum underground and third tier tour.

Trevi fountain.

Pantheon

Many Basilicas with beautiful interiors.

Pre book the Vatican. Exit through the right hand door in the Sistine Chapel (group exit) to enter St Peters without having to go back through security.

Rick Steve's has a good handbook on Rome and one that covers the Mediterranean.

Rome is one of our favorite cities.

Edited by rdt10

For one day don't structure anything.

At a minimum here are items that go on the top of my list but I can give you a list that will take weeks to see.

Vatican (allow a lot of time and my recommendation is a formal tour)

Ancient City

Colosseum

I also recommend a tour of Rome at night. Did this last year after visiting Rome many times and it just provided another perspective.

Keith

With 5 days in Rome (good choice, btw....:)) you may want to consider taking one day trip outside the city. You can easily arrange a trip to Tivoli, where you can visit both the famous Villa d'Este (known for its gardens and fountains) and also the ruins of the extensive villa of the Emperor Hadrian (Villa Adriana).

Another idea: If you are in Rome on a Sunday, go out to the Appia Antica. The old Roman road (once known as the "Queen of Roads") is closed to most vehicular traffic on Sundays and many people go out and walk along it. You can see numerous ancient tombs, and of course there are several catacombs if you are interested.

I absolutely love Rome and strongly agree with the recommendations above. Trastevere is my favorite place to stay as it has a bit more of a neighborhood feel than some other areas. Going to Tivoli and Villa d'Este was one of my favorite days in Italy.

My other recommendation is to go to the Roman catacombs located near Rome on the Appia Antica. Everyone that I traveled with has loved learning about the history and it's a nice break from the crowds in Rome. However, do not plan to walk there from Trastevere :) When I was in college, we were reading a map and thought it seemed like an easy walk (and we didn't have a clue what kilometers were). It's an easy bus ride but a very, very long walk with no sidewalks for a long portion...oops.

Oh, and the Trevi Fountain at night is beautiful! It's a great place to go and sit and have some wine or gelato after a long day.

Edited by Midwest_Traveler

5 days is brilliant. Plenty of time to wander round & just enjoy shop windows, people watching & amazing sights round every corner. I'm with Cruisemom42 on Villa D'este & Appia Antica since you have the luxury of time. There's a great restaurant called Celia Metala on Appia Antica right by a tomb of the same name & opposite an interesting catacomb. If you walk down towards the Domine Quo Vadis church there is a gladiator training camp right opposite. We wandered in by mistake & had a ball! 2 guidebooks I love are "Secret Rome" & "Tratorrias of Rome, Florence & Venice"

Have fun!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thanks you to all that replied! Your information is greatly appreciated!!

It makes planning for travel so much more exciting with all the information everyone has given us!!

Betty

Which company did you do the food tour with?

Here's a couple of great food experiences in Rome:

A walking food tour from the Piazza Navona to Travestere. Lots of history and yummy food.

http://www.secretfoodtours.com/rome/

A dinner / pasta making session at a chef's place in the Piazza Navona. Lots of fun, good food and company.

https://www.walksofitaly.com/rome-tours/rome-cooking-class

A walking food tour from the Piazza Navona to Travestere. Lots of history and yummy food.

A dinner / pasta making session at a chef's place in the Piazza Navona. Lots of fun, good food and company.

Thanks for the great suggestions!

Here's another one to add (highly rated on Tripadvisor):

http://www.eatingitalyfoodtours.com/?gclid=CJK4kO-a9csCFciFfgodU2EBjw

Thank you for this information. The Secret Food Tours look wonderful. I "liked" them on their FB page so I can keep up with their postings of information and discount codes. Since they also have food tours in Paris and London, I will keep them in mind when visiting those cities too.

Thank you for this information. The Secret Food Tours look wonderful. I "liked" them on their FB page so I can keep up with their postings of information and discount codes. Since they also have food tours in Paris and London' date=' I will keep them in mind when visiting those cities too.[/quote']

Haven't done London but the Paris food tour is fabulous. Ask for PJ as your guide--so much fun and so knowledgeable. Try the code SFT10 for 10% off.

With 5 days in Rome (good choice, btw....:)) you may want to consider taking one day trip outside the city. You can easily arrange a trip to Tivoli, where you can visit both the famous Villa d'Este (known for its gardens and fountains) and also the ruins of the extensive villa of the Emperor Hadrian (Villa Adriana).

Another idea: If you are in Rome on a Sunday, go out to the Appia Antica. The old Roman road (once known as the "Queen of Roads") is closed to most vehicular traffic on Sundays and many people go out and walk along it. You can see numerous ancient tombs, and of course there are several catacombs if you are interested.

What tour company do you use to arrange a tour to Tivoli? I love gardens and fountains so would like to try and go.

Thanks

What tour company do you use to arrange a tour to Tivoli? I love gardens and fountains so would like to try and go.

Thanks

I'm not the best person to ask; I did both via a tour (booked at my hotel) a long time ago. The tours are pretty standard, offered by many companies in Rome. IMHO you don't need a private tour.

Last time I went from Rome, I went (together with another regular CC'er) on the train and bus, as we wanted to mainly spend time at Hadrian's Villa.

I'm not the best person to ask; I did both via

a tour (booked at my hotel) a long time ago. The tours are pretty standard, offered by many companies in Rome. IMHO you don't need a private tour.

Last time I went from Rome, I went (together with another regular CC'er) on the train and bus, as we wanted to mainly spend time at Hadrian's Villa.

Thanks, for the information.