Royal Princess Sanctuary Review - March 2016

Nezmo

Did not like the sanctuary on the Royal. Could not afford the cabana you got. We like the double lounge chairs in the shade. We loved it on the Crown. Not much shade loungers. But oh my it is like a hurricane up there when the ship is sailing. Way too windy!! What were they thinking putting the sanctuary on that deck? Yes it is lovely. But you can find a free lounge chair just outside. We did that while in port. But while sailing it seemed like 50 mph winds up there.

Did not like the sanctuary on the Royal. Could not afford the cabana you got. We like the double lounge chairs in the shade. We loved it on the Crown. Not much shade loungers. But oh my it is like a hurricane up there when the ship is sailing. Way too windy!! What were they thinking putting the sanctuary on that deck? Yes it is lovely. But you can find a free lounge chair just outside. We did that while in port. But while sailing it seemed like 50 mph winds up there.
We found the Retreat on the Royal unusable due to wind. The Sanctuary was fine, even outside of the cabanas. Barely a breath of wind. Edited by Nezmo

In the last 6 months we had booked 47 full days in the front line sanctuary lounge chairs. We had not found the wind to be much of a problem in the Royal sanctuary.

Just got home tonight from the Royal 10-day cruise. Booked a lounger in the Sanctuary for the entire cruise. Unlike other ships, the front glass is solid and protects you from the wind. On others, there's a break between the top and bottom glass panels and as the Sanctuary is forward, wind whistles through. Some days there was flapping of the canvas overhead but that didn't bother me.

Cost is $20/half-day/pp, $40/day/pp. If you book for the entire cruise, it's $30/day/pp.

f444eeb8564a33de10c2cacaf138e4f1.jpg

7de9b8151a2ef64b8799e8ad7fcbce37.jpg

Pam -

are the loungers, in those two photos, facing the front of the ship or the sides and do people walk on that deck area on the other side of the glass?

No. Completely private. That's not really decking you see. It's a relatively narrow strip for ship instruments, etc.

As you can see, you can have the lounger moved to either get more or less sun.

Edited by Pam in CA

We were 2 chairs starboard of Pam and didn't have any windy issues either. As a matter of fact, at times we would have welcomed a breeze! :-)

That was my thought after looking at the photos. It looks to closed in for my taste. Anybody know if the Island is laid out this same way?

The Sanctuary on Royal covers a large area. Not all loungers are up close to the glass. Many are further back and get a little more breeze. The loungers on Port/Starboard sides are in full sun and can get breezy! The challenge is getting a lounger located to your liking. And, of course some cruises will be breezier than others! No one-size-fits-all for sure!:D

Nezmo, now you've gone & done it (glad you like Sarcasm!:p) I've been thinking the Sanctuary is just nice chairs & being waited on. NOW, with those cabana pics...I can see DH enjoying his "Happy Hour" aka nap, on that couch! He'd have his headphones in, listening to a book, then try to convince me he was just resting as he snores... :D

The Sanctuary on Royal covers a large area. Not all loungers are up close to the glass. Many are further back and get a little more breeze. The loungers on Port/Starboard sides are in full sun and can get breezy! The challenge is getting a lounger located to your liking. And, of course some cruises will be breezier than others! No one-size-fits-all for sure!:D
Very true.

Nezmo, now you've gone & done it (glad you like Sarcasm!:p) I've been thinking the Sanctuary is just nice chairs & being waited on. NOW, with those cabana pics...I can see DH enjoying his "Happy Hour" aka nap, on that couch! He'd have his headphones in, listening to a book, then try to convince me he was just resting as he snores... :D
Pleased to be of service :).

Don't forget about the gazebo in the Royal/Regal sanctuary. It's lad out as a quad, each section has a full size couch and three chairs all with pillows. It's open to all sanctuary people and at least one of the four sections is usually open. We spend most of our time in the gazebo, for me it's at least 90% of the time. I have many hours of good nap time on those couches.

Don't forget about the gazebo in the Royal/Regal sanctuary. It's lad out as a quad, each section has a full size couch and three chairs all with pillows. It's open to all sanctuary people and at least one of the four sections is usually open. We spend most of our time in the gazebo, for me it's at least 90% of the time. I have many hours of good nap time on those couches.
On my very recent Royal cruise, a few people staked out two of the seating areas in the gazebo as "theirs" for the entire 10-day cruise so that no one else could sit in their section. They slept on the couches and used the chairs to hold their things or sit in when they weren't lying down. The one time it rained, they refused to move anything which meant that those of us actually using our loungers had to stand or leave. One couple was using all five seats. It was as bad as the people saving loungers at the pool.

On my very recent Royal cruise, a few people staked out two of the seating areas in the gazebo as "theirs" for the entire 10-day cruise so that no one else could sit in their section. They slept on the couches and used the chairs to hold their things or sit in when they weren't lying down. The one time it rained, they refused to move anything which meant that those of us actually using our loungers had to stand or leave. One couple was using all five seats. It was as bad as the people saving loungers at the pool.

Luckily, I have not seen it to that degree.

I would like to give a shout out to Constantine and his 7 member sanctuary team. They were great. For that matter Christian and his team earlier in the winter were also outstanding.

Pam - who was the manager?

Luckily, I have not seen it to that degree.

I would like to give a shout out to Constantine and his 7 member sanctuary team. They were great. For that matter Christian and his team earlier in the winter were also outstanding.

Christian was the Sanctuary manager when we were on the Royal in October for 20 days. He and his team were wonderful. We filled out consummate host forms for the two staff that waited on us most often and tipped them and the rest of the staff since over 20 days everyone assisted us at one time or another. They really couldn't do enough to make sure we were comfortable and enjoying ourselves.

I agree, Pam. What was with those people? I think we got to sit in the gazebo for a few minutes on a port day. Thought we didn't have to worry about chair hogs in the Sanctuary, or should I say, Gazebo Hogs:D

A question for Pam or Mustang GT- did anyone mention to the Sanctuary manager that those people were monopolizing the chairs/couches in the gazebo area?.

Perhaps a quiet word from the manger to those people would have caused those "chair hogs" to be more considerate of the other guests.

Pam, was that the gazebo right behind our loungers, or the ones on the right closer to the entrance as you head toward our loungers? I didn't know those were available to everybody like the ones in our section, which everyone seemed to share when I was there. I missed the rainy day, I guess.

Susan

Thanks, Todd320, good to know! That's nice it's not an additional cost on those 2 ships!