Why I am glad I had the premium drink package...

DaisyFire

I am fascinated by the need to drink this expensively on a vacation. We just got off the Eclipse 2week Caribbean cruise. We don't drink soda, the "regular" coffee is the same kind we drink at home and 2 cups at breakfast is it for the day, We buy our bottled water on shore at ports at half the cost, we drink the ship desalinated water at meals, sometimes a beer or glass of wine at lunch and 2 glasses of wine at dinner - since we have no cost limits, it is whatever we want. Sometimes we buy a bottle of wine which lasts more than one meal. Occasionally, we might have an after dinner drink - no limits. The most we spent in one day was less than $50 for TWO of us. Beverage packages of any kind are no bargain for us. Just saying.

Good for you, but what you describe would be Us watching our spend. I only like latte type coffees, my husband is Ok with regular black coffee but prefers americano from bacio. Wine: 2 bottles would last 2 days and while we can do a la carte, it is more enjoyable to be free to order whatever we want. We have done it both ways but if it is the same price (or a couple hundred more to get the package, why no)

$7 for one coffee? Must be good stuff.

They have a variety of coffees on the menu that range in price - I believe at the higher end (minus the ones with alcohol) you are looking at around $6. So I used that and added a $1 tip. While the drink package automatically includes the exact 18% - if I am tipping for myself, I would never tip less than a dollar - even if it is more than 18%. Another advantage to the drink package :)

and a variety of white wines at dinner. Never had a problem finding something included in the package and the sommelier was very good at finding me wines I'd like and keeping my glass filled :D In fact, there were wines that I enjoyed that I've never seen on a list...no idea how much they were per glass or bottle so it goes to show that not all wines available are on a posted list.

If you don't plan to drink martinis, or visit the Molecular or World Bar, then it would be my advice to try the Classic for a few days and upgrade if you feel like you want more options. YMMV

We actually did wait until the second day to upgrade - after we were told by the sommelier that there was only one chardonnay available in the MDR on the classic package. (And that the one that my sister-in-law liked in the other bars was not available in the MDR.)

In all honesty, when I upgraded to premium, I had planned to spend sometime in the martini bar pre-dinner as well, but just couldn't make that work with a 5:45 early seating. I did visit the martini bar twice after dinner.

We find it well worth it, tho I may drink more, not really. I do drink many diet soft drinks day and night, as well as sparkling water. I drink champagne and don't have to worry what I might be ordering the same with the wines. It makes it so easy and it is done ahead of time and forgotten about. Also if I don't care the drink I don't feel compelled to finish it. I love the go best package that is offered.

I am fascinated by the need to drink this expensively on a vacation. We just got off the Eclipse 2week Caribbean cruise. We don't drink soda, the "regular" coffee is the same kind we drink at home and 2 cups at breakfast is it for the day, We buy our bottled water on shore at ports at half the cost, we drink the ship desalinated water at meals, sometimes a beer or glass of wine at lunch and 2 glasses of wine at dinner - since we have no cost limits, it is whatever we want. Sometimes we buy a bottle of wine which lasts more than one meal. Occasionally, we might have an after dinner drink - no limits. The most we spent in one day was less than $50 for TWO of us. Beverage packages of any kind are no bargain for us. Just saying.

As they say, different strokes... On our last cruise, my husband and I didn't even spend $100 for the entire 11 day cruise. So - I can certainly play it either way. As for this cruise, the classic package was included - and so I only effectively paid $11.80 per day when I upgraded to the premium for the last 4 days of the cruise. So for under $50 total - I was able to order what I wanted, when I wanted without having to try to keep a mental tally. For me that really made a difference in the vacation experience.

On our last couple of cruises we have had the premium package as part of our room deal, prior to that when we tried to calculate what we would spend it didn't seem of value to us...

However, now I really do like it! As the original post said, you don't need to drink that much to break even when you add in coffee and water. But for me the real advantage was experimenting!

I am quite a conservative drinker sticking to what I know and like...When we didn't have a package I would go for drinks I knew, because if I ordered a cocktail or special and didn't like it it would be a waste! I tried several new drinks on our recent cruise, some I liked and some I didn't and it did not matter! If I liked it I drank it, if I didn't I chose something else!

One of the only surprises we had on our last cruise was when we went above the premium price for wine....We did this in a couple of venues. Whilst the wines were nice, I am not sure they were significantly better than those we got within price. We found Murano's and Tuscan very good at finding a wine within price but not necessarily, as others have said, on any list.

We have never had a classic package but friends of ours did on the last cruise and managed fine...Martini bar excepting. I think if we ever had a classic package we would do as others have suggested and just try it for a day or two..

We're frae Scotland - Premium all the way!

Just a shame there's no Irn Bru on board! ;)

Seriously, for our upcoming Alaska cruise we received 123 perks - it was only £113 (GBP) for both of us - to upgrade to premium. We also did the same on our 14 night Equinox last year.

Makes sense - we like a drink, decent wine, for sure the Martini Bar Menu - and anything else in between -

Celebrity's Premium Package takes a lot of beating - excellent choices for sure and great value for money!

We're frae Scotland - Premium all the way!

Just a shame there's no Irn Bru on board! ;)

:D

I'm from the NW, so would appreciate Vimto .... just kidding :p

We have the classic included in our next 3 cruises and I know there will be no upgrading. The benefits to me are the included coffees and the occasional cocktail in the theatre. Otherwise plain old water will do.

:D

I'm from the NW, so would appreciate Vimto .... just kidding :p

We have the classic included in our next 3 cruises and I know there will be no upgrading. The benefits to me are the included coffees and the occasional cocktail in the theatre. Otherwise plain old water will do.

Same for me, it's more about the coffee and the odd cocktail. Even before the 'included' classic package, I bought the non alcoholic beverage package for the coffees - that's when I'd try and wait for the 20% off discounts :o.

While there were some slight variations from day to day and differences between port days and sea days, this is a pretty good representation of how I benefited from having the premium drink package - and why, for me, it may even be worth it to purchase even if I do not have it as an included perk...

The prices I list are averages and include a tip for the server/bartender.

Café Al Bacio – 1 coffee a day ($7)

Drinks during the day - 1 @$10 (probably not on port days)

Wine with dinner (2 glasses – one each for appetizer and main course paired by sommelier) ($30) [in reality - since the sommelier kept my glass filled, I really had more like 1.5 - 2 glasses with each course which would cost more if paying without the package.)

specialty dessert coffee - $9

Drink for show or out dancing - $11

Soda or tonic with lime (2) $8

Sparkling or bottled water by the pool $10

Total - ~$78 per day; Cost for Premium package - $76.70 (includes 18% gratuity)

Some days I may have had more, other days less - but in the end, my drinking habits seem to be a pretty good match for the premium package and I like that I didn't need to stop and think about cost - especially when pairing wines with dinner and getting my glass refilled by the sommelier.

Cheers! :)

It is smart to keep track of expenditures and weigh that before buying the drinks package.

Before we became elite, we spent about $500 total on alcohol for both of us on a typical 14 day cruise. We are elite and spend about half that due to the free happy hour.

Also, we don't drink $5 specialty coffee on board or on shore. We don't drink sodas. We drink the tap water on the ship instead of bottled water. This discussion has taken place many times on cc and is always amazes me how much some people say they drink on a cruise. One poster said he drank a case of beer per day. Sorry, but that type of drinking is just off the charts.

• 2 months later...

I can't see me drinking more than 2 alcoholic drinks a day (and probably not even that). I am just not a big drinker. But my sister is, and as such we picked it as one of our perks. I still feel I paid too much for my upcoming cruise because this package is one I will likely not use enough to cover it's cost.

Maybe I will just use it to experiment with some drinks to see what I like for the future. This will be the perfect opportunity for that.

We do not drink enough to justify an upgrade to premium and as long as I can get a drink in a bar I will be satisfied. Usually a scotch, wine or occasional beer. I must admit I do find the drinks package thing a bit irritating - why not just have one on offer?

I can't see me drinking more than 2 alcoholic drinks a day (and probably not even that). I am just not a big drinker. But my sister is, and as such we picked it as one of our perks. I still feel I paid too much for my upcoming cruise because this package is one I will likely not use enough to cover it's cost.

Maybe I will just use it to experiment with some drinks to see what I like for the future. This will be the perfect opportunity for that.

Remember the cocktails, smoothies, slush and quality coffee which can be non alcoholic!

We got the Premium package as an included perk, otherwise I have always felt that neither of us would get full value (I drink wine with dinner and water the rest of the time; DW drinks tap water almost all the time). But on our recent cruise on Connie the tap water had a bad taste, so DW was glad to be able to get Evian and I could get Pellegrino -- we didn't even have to settle on one type and share a big bottle. I was able to stick to the included wine selection all but one night, and even then only had to pay the portion over $13 a glass. And I decided to have a cappuccino after dinner most nights. I'm not sure that all our drinks added up to the regular price of the package, but the freedom to order anything we wanted was ... priceless!

It is smart to keep track of expenditures and weigh that before buying the drinks package.

Before we became elite, we spent about $500 total on alcohol for both of us on a typical 14 day cruise. We are elite and spend about half that due to the free happy hour.

Also, we don't drink $5 specialty coffee on board or on shore. We don't drink sodas. We drink the tap water on the ship instead of bottled water. This discussion has taken place many times on cc and is always amazes me how much some people say they drink on a cruise. One poster said he drank a case of beer per day. Sorry, but that type of drinking is just off the charts.

This is pretty much our pattern too, except that now we are Elite+ we have some coffees and premium teas free, so our spend is even lower. We don't deny ourselves, but heavy drinking is not part of our holiday. We did have a classic package included on one cruise, but didn't make very good use of it. Now we try to book basic cruises with no 'free' inclusions whenever we can and pay as we go for the wine we have with dinner.

One thing we enjoyed with the Premium package was the wider variety of MDR wines so the sommelier was able to select the perfect wine matches for each course. Sometimes he chose exactly what we would have chosen but other times he surprised us with something else. Plus I'm almost certain we ended up having some wines which weren't on the MDR wine list.

Nobody mentioned this yet, but it is hard to beat a Grey Goose, Red Bull, with a splash of Cranberry. We usually stick with the Classic, but took the leap last time and will be not going back when we have the classic as a perk. You almost can't afford not to upgrade. Also, there were quite a few times when thy only had small regular bottles of water when exiting the ship at ports, but they did have large Evian waters. The Martini bar is also a treat we usually do not get to experience.

Traditionally our bar bill is not excessively high. We truly enjoyed the Classic package on our last couple of trips as an included perk. The biggest change for us was enjoying Café Al Baccio. As a rule, coffee house coffees are a treat for us on land - but we certainly enjoyed multiples daily on the Connie!!! We'll revert back to no package for our next cruise, Panama Canal to South America - but hit the jackpot w/ the Premium upgrade for Asia Trip... Can't wait. Thinking about it I'm starting to drool over the thought of the coffees (both w/ & w/out alcohol), the wines, sparkling wine, craft beers for Johnny & cognacs/cordials for both of us available w/ the Premium Pkg :) Honestly - the Classic offered convenience & additional enjoyment to our cruise. It was great not to worry about what we were spending!!

If you are looking into the premium drink packages and are mainly a beer drinker, be advised that on a daily basis, many of the good brands were out of stock on day 1 or 2. Dogfish 90 Minute IPA was wiped out quick. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale was also gone quick. My brother in law went to the one specialty bar on deck 4 or 5 and was told they were out of his premium beer on day 2. Just something to keep in mind. I did make it worth it with Cafe Al Bacio coffee, daiquiri's for the wife, wine at dinner, etc.

Some of it - but not everything. In particular the wines. My SIL who did not upgrade to premium basically had one choice of white each night for dinner - while I had a chance to try out several different wines - many of which I would not have thought to pair with my food.

Also I like the premium level waters as well.

As has been stated elsewhere on the boards, the main reason to upgrade from classic to premium is wine, craft beer and specialty waters. (And martinis from the Martini Bar)

Otherwise, you can be very happy with the classic package :)

Not really all that accurate.

There were several different wines available in the classic package at least 5 reds and all very good, I tried them all, and the same for whites and roses.

Everything in cafe Al Bacio is available on the classic package, all mocktails, some cocktails, and all still water, only sparkling was not, less beers were available, but Bud, Heineken, Corona, Coors were certainly in the classic list.

We found absolutely no reason to upgrade, as did most of our freedom dining guests, we never met anyone on premium, probably they were all sloshed on martinis.

If you are looking into the premium drink packages and are mainly a beer drinker, be advised that on a daily basis, many of the good brands were out of stock on day 1 or 2. Dogfish 90 Minute IPA was wiped out quick. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale was also gone quick. My brother in law went to the one specialty bar on deck 4 or 5 and was told they were out of his premium beer on day 2. Just something to keep in mind. I did make it worth it with Cafe Al Bacio coffee, daiquiri's for the wife, wine at dinner, etc.

This must vary with the cruise. I was just on Connie for 12 nights and I was able to get Dogfish 90 until just before the end (and then they had Sierra as a substitute). Don't even know if the whole ship was sold out of it, because this was just at the bar in the Ocean View cafe.

Was it the premium package you had? Couldn't you have drank the same with a classic package?

We had everything we wanted on the classic...we always had nice wine rec from our amazing sommelier

I don't drink very much but enjoyed the teas. Iglus etc dh was fine with whatever was included.. wine.beer scotch.....

How late into the cruise may one upgrade to the premium package? We have the classic on a 9-night Solstice and it's the wines that have always made me think I want to upgrade.

We wouldn't buy a package because we just don't spend $120/day on beverages, alcoholic or otherwise, but since it was included in the fare (we had booked without and adding it later cost nothing), I'm looking forward to trying out a few drinks. Upgrading is about $10pp (plus 18%) per day, is it not?

How late into the cruise may one upgrade to the premium package? We have the classic on a 9-night Solstice and it's the wines that have always made me think I want to upgrade.

We wouldn't buy a package because we just don't spend $120/day on beverages, alcoholic or otherwise, but since it was included in the fare (we had booked without and adding it later cost nothing), I'm looking forward to trying out a few drinks. Upgrading is about $10pp (plus 18%) per day, is it not?

Premium upgrades can be purchased up to your last full day. Some people upgrade for the final couple of days (especially if they are sea days). This works if there are a couple of items you would like to try - but don't feel you need to drink for the whole cruise.

We've never purchased a package - but have enjoyed when we had Classic as a perk. We have never felt deprived on the Classic - we enjoy the cocktails, beer, Prosecco, non-alcoholic & coffee drinks - the affogato & Venetian coffee are fabulous. On our Asia trip we are lucky enough to have the Premium package as an upgrade. Looking forward to having fun with it.